The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mike Phillips to follow in the footsteps of SBW?

+19
flyhalffactory
fa0019
Barney McGrew did it
majesticimperialman
Sin é
ChequeredJersey
Casartelli
BlueNote
Notch
yappysnap
ScarletSpiderman
westisbest
GunsGerms
doctornickolas
George Carlin
doctor_grey
rodders
SecretFly
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mike Phillips to follow in the footsteps of SBW? Empty Mike Phillips to follow in the footsteps of SBW?

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 13 Feb 2014, 10:02 am

http://www.espn.co.uk/blogs/rugby/story/214585.html

Always ready to grab the slightest opportunity for self publicity, bookmakers Paddy Power has put up a purse of £60,000 if Mike Phillips will get into a ring with Niall Horan from One Direction.

Maybe the WWRU should sign him up to a central wrestling contract

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Mike Phillips to follow in the footsteps of SBW? Empty Re: Mike Phillips to follow in the footsteps of SBW?

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Feb 2014, 10:06 am

One Direction loses a member.............. if indeed they had one to begin with Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Mike Phillips to follow in the footsteps of SBW? Empty Re: Mike Phillips to follow in the footsteps of SBW?

Post by Guest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 11:03 am

I'd rather see the grudge match between Phillips and the McDonalds bouncer

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 13 Feb 2014, 11:04 am

SecretFly wrote:One Direction loses a member.............. if indeed they had one to begin with Wink

Would that leave them with no direction?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 11:08 am

Mike Phillips actually used to be an amateur boxer if memory serves, so he'd do alright I guess!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 11:09 am

SecretFly wrote:One Direction loses a member.............. if indeed they had one to begin with Wink

One direction, one approach, Gatland-ball. Hmmmmm. There''s a link there somewhere. chin 

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 13 Feb 2014, 11:40 am

Griff wrote:

One direction, one approach, Gatland-ball.  Hmmmmm.  There''s a link there somewhere. chin 
That is good. Real good. But what about the slow delivery?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 13 Feb 2014, 11:49 am

Am very disappointed. I just read the title to this post and came here expecting a thread about Mike Phillips deciding to become good at rugby.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Thu 13 Feb 2014, 11:52 am

Might want to hold it in the car park outside Dublin Hospital A&E.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 13 Feb 2014, 11:54 am

George Carlin wrote:Am very disappointed. I just read the title to this post and came here expecting a thread about Mike Phillips deciding to become good at rugby.

I thought he was off to league.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 13 Feb 2014, 11:56 am

Id rather see Philips take on Horan's fellow Mullingar men John Joe Nevin and Joe Ward (Moate). Now that would be interesting.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 11:56 am

Phillips should take on Rob Kearney, seeing as he could'nt wait to get his hands on him on saturday.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Feb 2014, 11:58 am

and he had a whole 80 minutes to try...

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 13 Feb 2014, 11:58 am

westisbest wrote:Phillips should take on Rob Kearney, seeing as he could'nt wait to get his hands on him on saturday.

Did you see the TWitter exchange? Kearny already said he had the young chaps back in the fight

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:04 pm

Nah, dont do Twitter.

Did he, well, there it is.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:06 pm

westisbest wrote:Phillips should take on Rob Kearney, seeing as he could'nt wait to get his hands on him on saturday.

To be honest I would like to have seen what would have happened if it had 'escalated', but in fairness Kearney had a bit of a cocky smirk on his chops, whether it was knowing his team would step in and stop it escalating or whether he thought he had the taking of Spikey, I am not too sure, but it did make me wonder what would happen if you set the two of them at each other.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:12 pm

Kearney was hiding behind his team mates, if memory serves!

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:16 pm

Griff wrote:Kearney was hiding behind his team mates, if memory serves!

But with a big 'come on then' smirk, so it could have been because he was out of reach of Phillips (his team had stepped in), or because he thought he could have had Spikey if the rest of the lads hadn't stepped in
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:43 pm

Doesn't Phillips box? While Kearney I guess doesn't... I guess he was doing an Austin Healy

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:45 pm

yappysnap wrote:Doesn't Phillips box? While Kearney I guess doesn't... I guess he was doing an Austin Healy

A bit like this bloke then

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2000899/Man-admits-having-sex-with-1000-cars.html
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:49 pm

George Carlin wrote:Am very disappointed. I just read the title to this post and came here expecting a thread about Mike Phillips deciding to become good at rugby.

Meow!  Laugh 
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:54 pm

As was the original sly culprit who started off the whole thing. Never forget the original in these bust ups...he's usually gone for his sandwiches by the time the real fight begins.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 13 Feb 2014, 12:54 pm

It was quite funny in that incident that Dave and Rob Kearney were laughing at Mike Phillips; thats how you handle those kind of incidents. The aggressor only gets more incensed by it. It wasn't so much a scrap as a variety of Welsh and Irish players holding Mike Phillips back from doing something stupid.

I had been giving out about how foolish Mike Philips has been to respond like on twitter, but I understood why he flew off the handle at the match. We all saw that Liam Williams dropped an elbow into Paddy Jackson and thats why Kearney pushed him. Fair enough from Kearney there, sticking up for his teammate etc. But imagine you didn't see the first part? It probably just seemed like Kearney was being a complete kumquat (and yes I typed kumquat).
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:04 pm

Notch wrote:It was quite funny in that incident that Dave and Rob Kearney were laughing at Mike Phillips; thats how you handle those kind of incidents. The aggressor only gets more incensed by it.

Bit like Phillips did in Australia with the Lions when that little fella pushed him. Blow them a little kiss I find always does the trick.

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:06 pm

What Liam Williams did only looked out of order played in slow motion.

I don't blame them for laughing at Phillips. It was so obviously just an excuse for letting his frustration out.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:07 pm

Notch wrote:

Meow!  Laugh 
Sorry. Er. I have a cold.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:32 pm

SecretFly wrote:

As was the original sly culprit who started off the whole thing.  Never forget the original in these bust ups...he's usually gone for his sandwiches by the time the real fight begins.

To be fair to Liam Williams, it was a bit of a cheap shot granted, however he is not the sort of person that disappears when things get 'fruity' he is more the sort of person who will run the length of the pitch to get involved in it. And if Phillips (a physically larger man) had not gotten involved, I think Sanjay would have been the one that people were holding back, after all he did have a pop back at Kearney.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:37 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

As was the original sly culprit who started off the whole thing.  Never forget the original in these bust ups...he's usually gone for his sandwiches by the time the real fight begins.

To be fair to Liam Williams, it was a bit of a cheap shot granted, however he is not the sort of person that disappears when things get 'fruity' he is more the sort of person who will run the length of the pitch to get involved in it.  And if Phillips (a physically larger man) had not gotten involved, I think Sanjay would have been the one that people were holding back, after all he did have a pop back at Kearney.

Perhaps when innocent.  He knew he was guilty.  He knew why Kearney pushed him (not much of a push actually) and he knew why all hell broke lose.  When guilt eats you, you tend to make yourself small.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:46 pm

Fly, maybe, yet he did still turn and give Kearney a shove back, so not too sure you can say he did a run to the hills (like Henson v Garin Evans) as such.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:49 pm

Run for the hills symbolically, Scarlet (as in letting Phillips do most of the work for him) - hiding behind his teams mates in a sense - the same sense that was used to describe Kearney's part - Kearney was still there too - he hadn't gone for sandwiches either. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:50 pm

Third stringers starting fights and senior pros bickering with celebrities on the Twitter.

Presumably key strategies in the WRU 5 year rolling going forward plan.

We're in a great place.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:53 pm

SecretFly wrote:Run for the hills symbolically, Scarlet (as in letting Phillips do most of the work for him) - hiding behind his teams mates in a sense - the same sense that was used to describe Kearney's part - Kearney was still there too - he hadn't gone for sandwiches either. Wink

Ah symbolically, when referring to the tanned one I was on about literally Laugh . As I said earlier, I can't work out if Kearney was smirking because he was covered by mates (gone for a sandwiches, as you say) or because he knew that Phillips would end up being the 'injured' party if the rest of the team were not there, as Rob is a fair sized lad himself, and less prone to lose it than Spikey (which is always an edge when things get 'fruity').
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:54 pm

SecretFly wrote:

Liam Williams was sat on the floor, not behind his mates! boxing 

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:56 pm

Griff wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Liam Williams was sat on the floor, not behind his mates! boxing 

Knock to the floor by the shear bruitality of the shove from Kearney no doubt, dirty sod pushing a man who has his back to you Run
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 13 Feb 2014, 2:15 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
Notch wrote:It was quite funny in that incident that Dave and Rob Kearney were laughing at Mike Phillips; thats how you handle those kind of incidents. The aggressor only gets more incensed by it.

Bit like Phillips did in Australia with the Lions when that little fella pushed him. Blow them a little kiss I find always does the trick.

I alway like the one where someone is getting irate throwing abuse and the other guy waves his hand in front of his mouth and pulls a face, as if to say, jesus dude, pop a breath mint.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 13 Feb 2014, 2:31 pm

Kearney was laughing at Phillips because he knew that if Phillips did lose control and threw a punch, then regardless of who would win a fair fight, Phillips would be off and even more useless to his team
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 13 Feb 2014, 2:38 pm

Nigel Owens got in on the action as well.

Announcing his matches this week!

Options
Nigel Ref Owens · 12,302 like this
February 9 at 12:53pm ·

@Nigelrefowens: Got 2 matches to ref this week. Saturday Munster v Zebre but before then this big one. Not sure what kit to wear lol
http://t.co/ijbNKBY6qB"

http://twitter.com/Nigelrefowens/status/432613441858469890
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:03 pm

I thought when reading the thread that Phillips was off to rugby league.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:03 pm

clap
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:11 pm

If MP throws a punch like he throws a pass I don't think Kearney had much to worry about - he'd have been back at the halfway line
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:18 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Kearney was laughing at Phillips because he knew that if Phillips did lose control and threw a punch, then regardless of who would win a fair fight, Phillips would be off and even more useless to his team

The game was over at that point anyway. Sandwiches all round...and tea.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:20 pm

The truth is, I'll bet if there was a function that night, both Phillips and Kearney had a laugh about it. If you didn't see Phillip's being emotional you'd be afraid you played the wrong side!! "We must still have to play Wales...that must have been only Italy!"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:25 pm

I don't know, if you'd played Italy you'd have noticed Parisse complaining to the ref all match
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:34 pm

Well that's true too, Chequered.  I find him (Parisse) an awful moan in the last few years.  He is/or was such a one man team that he feels the pressure to do almost everything and as I said before a week or so ago, it can often get him in the way of a better player choice in a better position.

He's like POM - too many players in the one man!

Last edited by SecretFly on Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:34 pm

I think the ID kid saw that MP was 6'3 and 16st and then realised him at 5'7 and 70kg it isn't much of a challenge more of a death sentence.

MP may be deemed a bit cocky and a chirpy little SH but put him into civil society and he's a monster.

He's old now and slowed down a lot but at the start of his career he was a revelation. Still couldn't pass but he could score tries from nothing with amazing runs.

3 6N titles, 2GS, 5 Lions caps.... you don't get those without being once a decent player. He was awesome in the 09 series.... perhaps with Croft as the runners up to man of the series Roberts. The sun looks to have set on his test value but fair to be fair.... whilst most non-welshman like myself love to have a go at how bad he is now... 3-4 years ago we would have all loved to have had him in our side.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 13 Feb 2014, 4:13 pm

fa0019 wrote:I think the ID kid saw that MP was 6'3 and 16st and then realised him at 5'7 and 70kg it isn't much of a challenge more of a death sentence.

MP may be deemed a bit cocky and a chirpy little SH but put him into civil society and he's a monster.

He's old now and slowed down a lot but at the start of his career he was a revelation. Still couldn't pass but he could score tries from nothing with amazing runs.

3 6N titles, 2GS, 5 Lions caps.... you don't get those without being once a decent player. He was awesome in the 09 series.... perhaps with Croft as the runners up to man of the series Roberts. The sun looks to have set on his test value but fair to be fair.... whilst most non-welshman like myself love to have a go at how bad he is now... 3-4 years ago we would have all loved to have had him in our side.

Sensible post and bang on the money.

He is always going to have his knockers but most of those cant see beyond the aggression. His passing will never be top draw but he more than compensates in his offensive play and his big match performances, over the last decade he probably has been in the top three SHs in the northern hemisphere. He plays with his heart on his sleeve and always gives 100% passion and commitment.

As far as Sanjay been "sly".....
What a load of b0ll0cks as it was a frustrated cheap shot done in microseconds borne out of frustration and immediately he put his hand up to Jackson and apologised and that was that, until "big man" Kearney decided to push Williams in the back, and that's what kicked it off.

I would say lucky for Kearney Williams decided that a push back at him was all that was required because if that duo decided to have a tastier confab my money would be on the Welshman.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 4:29 pm

I would watch it if it was a handicap match of Phillips vs Horan and Cian Healey. Would be a joy to watch then  OK 

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Feb 2014, 4:36 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:

What a load of b0ll0cks as it was a frustrated cheap shot done in microseconds borne out of frustration and immediately he put his hand up to Jackson and apologised and that was that, until "big man" Kearney decided to push Williams in the back, and that's what kicked it off.

I would say lucky for Kearney Williams decided that a push back at him was all that was required because if that duo decided to have a tastier confab my money would be on the Welshman.

1. In other words - sly.  

2. Of course your money would be on the Welshman... I'm sure some of it was already on Wales Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 13 Feb 2014, 4:39 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
fa0019 wrote:I think the ID kid saw that MP was 6'3 and 16st and then realised him at 5'7 and 70kg it isn't much of a challenge more of a death sentence.

Sensible post and bang on the money.

He is always going to have his knockers but most of those cant see beyond the aggression. His passing will never be top draw but he more than compensates in his offensive play and his big match performances, over the last decade he probably has been in the top three SHs in the northern hemisphere. He plays with his heart on his sleeve and always gives 100% passion and commitment.

So Sanjay, Kearney and Phillips are all pricks?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu 13 Feb 2014, 4:40 pm

Amazed pricks isn't censored. Luckily, we English do not have nor ever have had any characters like this in our teams! Wink
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next