The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next P4P no 1 - Has only had one fight !!

+6
eddyfightfan
TopHat24/7
Hammersmith harrier
tommyhearnsprodigalson
adamk
TRUSSMAN66
10 posters

Go down

Next P4P no 1 - Has only had one fight !! Empty Next P4P no 1 - Has only had one fight !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:58 pm

Timing is perfect for Lomochenko...A free run at 126...Rigondeux will be 35 when they meet ancient for a 122 pounder...A big name in Donaire to feast on down the road which always looks good CV wise and Ward and GGG both looking up and getting older eventually..

Two years down the road after Floyd...28 and with bags of talent..

My guess is the next ruler of Boxing has only had one fight..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Next P4P no 1 - Has only had one fight !! Empty Re: Next P4P no 1 - Has only had one fight !!

Post by adamk Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:14 pm

I fully agree with you Truss... i've been saying the same to a few friends before his 1st fight and they're now jumping on the bandwagon.

BUT.... is he one of those fighters who people avoid?

adamk

Back to top Go down

Next P4P no 1 - Has only had one fight !! Empty Re: Next P4P no 1 - Has only had one fight !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:19 pm

He has Arum behind him..

Salido is average...Riggy is getting old and wants money....

Donaire will want a piece..

The rest of the champs are no great shakes..So he can clean up !!!

Great timing Adam...I'm with you Mate..

Enough there to take top spot in two years..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:24 pm

adamk wrote:I fully agree with you Truss... i've been saying the same to a few friends before his 1st fight and they're now jumping on the bandwagon.

BUT.... is he one of those fighters who people avoid?
If he gets the title, there'll be a real buzz about him and I reckon most guys will take a whuppin' just to get themselves a half decent payday.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:25 pm

I agree there isn't much money at the lower weights...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by adamk Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:26 pm

i'm away in Liverpool next weekend so a bit gutted i cant watch the fight... although i am taking the missus to her 1st boxing show so she might get hooked (in the non-violent way) and decided to stay up and watch it with me Smile

i'm also keen to see how Oleksandr Usyk performs in the future

adamk

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:31 pm

Away in Liverpool..

How romantic....

Tried hooking my Mrs but she has a quicker shoulder roll than Floyd and just as deadly on the counter...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearnsprodigalson Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:32 pm

What channel is the fight on?

tommyhearnsprodigalson

Back to top Go down

Post by adamk Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:33 pm

haha nothing romantic in the trip... taking her to see an old friend of mine who just happened to have tickets to the boxing in southport Wink

think the fight is on Boxnation

adamk

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:47 pm

Bit early to say really, think he'll have a tough time against Salido while Rigo would be a slight favourite.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:31 pm

adamk wrote:i'm away in Liverpool next weekend so a bit gutted i cant watch the fight... although i am taking the missus to her 1st boxing show so she might get hooked (in the non-violent way) and decided to stay up and watch it with me Smile

Oleksandr Usyk is one scary-ugly fella!

His problem is he's in a rubbish division and, despite by a top amateur, may find his size a limiting factor to be a success at pro in the division above - i.e. where the money is.

Taking several rounds to take out your first two tomato cans doesn't look to impressive either.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:00 pm

very impressed with his bravery, salido has been known to be upset minded in the past, and isnt a gimmie world title fight. however not sure that he has such an easy time of it in this division, 2 active p4p fighters at the weight (3 if you wanted to include mares) and lots of other names too, i think a few more fights would benefit him greatly, even rigo didn't always look amazing in his first few fights, and has just as much amateur pedigree

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:07 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
adamk wrote:i'm away in Liverpool next weekend so a bit gutted i cant watch the fight... although i am taking the missus to her 1st boxing show so she might get hooked (in the non-violent way) and decided to stay up and watch it with me Smile

His problem is he's in a rubbish division and, despite by a top amateur, may find his size a limiting factor to be a success at pro in the division above - i.e. where the money is.

Taking several rounds to take out your first two tomato cans doesn't look to impressive either.

Harsh on Uysk, Tophat. The two guys he's fought are hardly the type of tomato cans that the likes of Luke Campbell fight currently. Romero has been in with Dawson, Shumenov and Kayode. Fair enough, he lost every time but it still shows he's a level above what other prospects normally face at this stage.

I've been a big Lomachenko fan since 2008, but I'll hold off calling the next P4P no1 until after the Salido fight. Salido is limited, but he's rugged and durable. Unless Lomachenko stops him early, the later rounds will be a big test of his resolve. He is immensely fit though and did look to be pacing himself against Ramirez. If I were a betting man the long odds on Salido would look very appealing. I don't think this is a gimme by any stretch if the imagination.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:10 pm

Salido is nothing he hasn't seen a dozen times before..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:15 pm

I'd disagree with that, Trussman. The Amateur era that Lomachenko grew up in did not favour pressure fighters, more the potshotters and speedsters. He obviously would have trained and sparred with quite a few but he will be going in against a fighter with bags of experience over the 12 rounds (Something Lomachenko does not have) who hasn't been stopped in about 15 years. Lomachenko is undoubtably more talented but Salido has a lot of advantages going into this fight.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:17 pm

It might not have favored them Goldy...

But he won 300 fights...They can't all have been fancy-dans

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:22 pm

Yeah, they weren't, but at the peak of the amateur game many of them were. Having followed him pretty closely since the Beijing Olympics I can't think of any real pressure fighters he faced. Selimov, Lopez and Valentino were the top guys around lightweight for the past while and they are all boxers. Now he's facing a top level pressure fighter over a distance he hasn't been before. If he doesn't have him out by half way Salido's experience should surely come into play.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:23 pm

I can see this either going like Siri v Lopez or Siri v Garcia. He will either be dominant or outclassed.

I can't wait for this fight, I hope Lomach does it but I wouldn't begrude a Siri victory either.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:37 pm

6oldenbhoy wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Harsh on Uysk, Tophat. The two guys he's fought are hardly the type of tomato cans that the likes of Luke Campbell fight currently. Romero has been in with Dawson, Shumenov and Kayode. Fair enough, he lost every time but it still shows he's a level above what other prospects normally face at this stage.

Trust you to chip in as soon as someone mentions a former amateur star raspberry

Ok, they're not complete cans, but my major point is re success (as measured by fame and money) and how is size may count against him.

He can clean up CW and hit HW aged 30, no spring chicken, and up against guys 3-5 inches taller and 20-30lbs heavier.  Only seem him a couple of times but I don't remember it being like he had some exceptional stand-out qualities (such as super-speed or super-power) to help bridge that gap (like Haye has, somewhat).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:52 pm

He is a very sound operator with no real weakness apart from punching power. In the WSB he beat quite a few Super Heavy's including the World Champion, Medzhidov, over five rounds so he could compete at heavy. It's not like the division is heaving with talent at the moment and there doesn't seem to be shed loads of young talent coming through.

The Cruisers seem to do quite well in Germany and he will make quite a bit of money. But yes he will probably struggle to gain worldwide fame unless he batters every other Cruiser and steps up to win a title at Heavy.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:20 pm

Bizarre as it may sound I was actually a bit disappointed in lomachemko's first fight.

I should qualify that, for a first pro fight, against a decent operator it was obviously very good. But from what I'd seen of him before and the expectation, I thought the other guy gave as good as he got for much of the fight, and got through more than you'd expect. Just enough to leave me reserving judgement before I bestow future greatness on him.

This is a really interesting fight for me, Salido is such a tough guy, that he's a great benchmark for the division. I expect loma to win, but as goldenbhoy says, if Salido's still in it late on, it could get interesting.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:01 pm

milkyboy wrote:Bizarre as it may sound I was actually a bit disappointed in lomachemko's first fight.

I should qualify that, for a first pro fight, against a decent operator it was obviously very good. But from what I'd seen of him before and the expectation, I thought the other guy gave as good as he got for much of the fight, and got through more than you'd expect. Just enough to leave me reserving judgement before I bestow future greatness on him.

This is a really interesting fight for me, Salido is such a tough guy, that he's a great benchmark for the division. I expect loma to win, but as goldenbhoy says, if Salido's still in it late on, it could get interesting.

Saved me writing a post there Milky.

Still lots of questions about Lomo and in particular his belief he did not need any learning fights. A touch arrogant possibly?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:13 pm

He's certainly a good test of truss' theory that experience is over-rated (we'll ignore the 300 amateur fights and wsb, for this purpose).

Have to say though, good on the guy, i like to see someone back themselves, good luck to him.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down