The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs Ireland, Part 2

+79
lostinwales
Submachine
No 7&1/2
TopHat24/7
Breadvan
gregortree
Pete330v2
quinsforever
MissBlennerhassett
Thomond
rosbif
englandglory4ever
The Saint
Hood83
Sin é
Seagultaf
SecretFly
Cumbrian
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
fa0019
Exiledinborders
KiaRose
Mad for Chelsea
sportform
Mr Bounce
Hookisms and Hyperbole
Barney McGrew did it
Knowsit17
rodders
TJ
GloriousEmpire
Cyril
ME-109
Chjw131
theslosty
BlueMuff
yappysnap
doctor_grey
Engine#4
JmD
ChequeredJersey
disneychilly
maestegmafia
Artful_Dodger
king_carlos
kiakahaaotearoa
aucklandlaurie
BigTrevsbigmac
WELL-PAST-IT
Metal Tiger
mystiroakey
Heaf
toml
HammerofThunor
asoreleftshoulder
MrsP
Duty281
Rory_Gallagher
nobbled
majesticimperialman
Notch
GunsGerms
LeinsterFan4life
The Bachelor
Nachos Jones
profitius
Cowshot
westisbest
Rugby Fan
Sgt_Pooly
Portnoy's Complaint
stub
nathan
nottins_again
Scrumpy
glamorganalun
kingelderfield
clivemcl
Geordie
83 posters

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

England vs Ireland, Part 2 - Page 2 Empty England vs Ireland, Part 2

Post by Geordie Sat 22 Feb 2014, 5:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

You beauties...

What a crackin game....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

England vs Ireland, Part 2 - Page 2 Empty Re: England vs Ireland, Part 2

Post by nathan Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:01 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Well Done England and well played Brown. At the risk of sounding like a bad loser I dont think Joubert did Ireland any favours. Determined not to card England players or award Ireland a deserved penalty in the end.

thats a little unfair when your only try was scored because O'Connell was holding Lauchbury back. i think it all probably worked out even in the end.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:01 pm

Nachos Jones wrote:As I said at the start, if this was in Ireland then Ireland would have won. Home ground saw England home today.

I don't get that argument. It was a similar sort of game last year in Dublin, and England won that by double the margin.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:01 pm

And asking O'Connell if Sexton had a bad game a few minutes after the game? Who writes these questions or does she make them up herself?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:02 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:When Ireland score their try i thought they was going to run away with it.

Well played England a great game, it was so tight in the end. Agreat qame for England played 3 won 2 looking good for the game against Wales.

No Grand Slam this year for any team but the championship still to play for.

And the Triple Crown, 2 down 1 to go.

Great play by both sides, on todays form I think either side could have beaten any of the other 6N sides. Wilson wasn't quite where he needed to be fitness wise, Healy had the better of him which made the scrums a bit of a problem for England.

Farrell on this form is the best 10 in the 6N, Care the best 9 and Brown the best 15. That is a good platform for 2 weeks time.

England really should have put this game to bed much earlier, May should have scored or take his man and passed to Nowell to run in and we butchered two other big overlaps when we either took the ball into contact or tried to drive for the line. We need to work hard on these skills at the moment we are well behind other top teams.

We also need to wise up a bit in the loose, at every ruck there was a green shirt if not interfering, making life hard for Care slowing down the release. We either blatantly get in the way or are good boys that do nothing. We need to learn from the Irish in particular they are past masters.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:02 pm

Duty, Ireland are a completely different team from last year. We have Schmidt now!

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:02 pm

Since when has the head tackle been legal?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:04 pm

They got away with time and time again
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:04 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Duty, Ireland are a completely different team from last year. We have Schmidt now!

And England are a better team than last year, such is the progress of their continued development.

Last edited by Duty281 on Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:04 pm

nathan wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Well Done England and well played Brown. At the risk of sounding like a bad loser I dont think Joubert did Ireland any favours. Determined not to card England players or award Ireland a deserved penalty in the end.

thats a little unfair when your only try was scored because O'Connell was holding Lauchbury back. i think it all probably worked out even in the end.

Minimal block. Every team does it without getting penalised. England did a much more blatant block v Australia in Nov. I said back then it was a fair try and so was this. Not in a million years would that try be called back for a block.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:04 pm

Credit to the 2 best sides in the 6Ns to date in producing a great game.
This young a England side is growing nicely. Yarde, Wade, Foden, Manu, Croft , Cole to come back into the mix in the future. It's looking solid.

Great substitution by SL & the team to bring on Attwood & put big Joe on the BS. Really solidified the scrum. Great stuff.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:05 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Nachos Jones wrote:As I said at the start, if this was in Ireland then Ireland would have won. Home ground saw England home today.

I don't get that argument. It was a similar sort of game last year in Dublin, and England won that by double the margin.

Since you failed to quote me entirely I will explain it again. These two side are so evenly matched but that home ground advantage is very important.

I did credit England but I guess you failed to read that bit Very Happy

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:05 pm

Pity that Ford didn't come on.

Farrell was as anonymous as O'Driscoll.

Mind you, BOD did have the courtesy to leave the pitch when told to this time around.

I think that BOD ha plans to compete with McCaw in 2019.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:05 pm

Excellant game, two teams trying to play rugby.
Good game management by Craig Jourbert, He probably didnt need to stand in the middle of Irelands backline though, but he is still the best referee in the World.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:06 pm

Next round, a game to decide who will drop out of the four contenders for the championship. England vs Wales.

We have a better points difference so we have to attack Italy. We have to take some risks and try and score some tries at home and hope that the England vs Wales game is as tight as that one and that the Murrayfield quicksand also works its magic.

Points difference;

Ireland +42
England +21
Wales +16
France +1

8th March

Ireland vs Italy, 1430
Scotland vs France, 1700

9th March

England vs Wales, 1500

I still fancy Ireland to be on top of the table going into Round 5, that should be a safe bet. We'll need to have added some daylight in the points difference now though as England could rack up a score versus Italy in Round 5, or Wales against Scotland- whoever wins in Round 4.

There is plenty of reason to believe we can make history in Paris, France have a lot of parts of their game which are a bit dysfunctional. So we need to attack Italy in Round 4. We need to be positive and take some risks.

Last edited by Notch on Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:07 pm

Nachos Jones wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Since you failed to quote me entirely I will explain it again. These two side are so evenly matched but that home ground advantage is very important.

Yes I got that bit. But you said if this game was in Dublin, Ireland would have won.

They didn't last time, is my point, and it was a similar sort of game.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:09 pm

Notch - Wouldn't worry about the points difference. Just as long as Ireland win their next two games, they wil be fine. Twenty-two points?

Difficult for England to make that up.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:09 pm

This game was nothing like last year lol... You should really rewatch the one last year.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:10 pm

Eng v Ire U20 on now.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:10 pm

It was a great game played by the two best teams in the 6 nations this year.

Still think Ireland will win the championship mind
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:10 pm

Good character showed by England (much like the earlier Scotland performance) to come back from the deep. It seems that this England side isn't fazed when it falls behind early on the scoreboard. That's a sign of a maturing team but I'm sure SL would like England to start games more convincingly because you make life difficult for yourselves always chasing the game.

The Wales game saw Sexton at his best and today saw him well below par. Just goes to show how vital the flyhalf is in determining the outcome of a game. The blame shouldn't go just on him though. Just as the senior players for England responded, the Irish senior players should look at themselves for how they let their side slip from that early lead.

Entertaining games of rugby from a score perspective and now that the Slam is taken out of the equation, what a finale awaits us in the last game. The game against Italy is perfect for Ireland because France's next opponents will no doubt feel the sting of their poor performance in Wales and Ireland need to gee themselves up for that away game in Paris. After their commanding performance in Dublin they still have to prove that they can string those kinds of performances together.

Woodward says this win will set the base for a special England team now. I think he's getting carried away with the narrow win but SL's team, with some welcome new additions from injuries, are proving they will be a force to reckon with at home. They need to start winning games away from home and regularly in the SH if Woodward's comments are to be taken seriously but certainly they are developing their consistency and performance nicely. Still a big leap though to attain the level of SA or NZ, as is the case of Ireland, but they have shown with room for improvement to come that they won't be taken lightly at the 2015 RWC.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:12 pm

Duty281 wrote:
Nachos Jones wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Yes I got that bit. But you said if this game was in Dublin, Ireland would have won.

They didn't last time, is my point, and it was a similar sort of game.

No, it was a different team coached differently. This Ireland side under JS is a lot better than last year. This year there is very little difference between the teams. That should be clear to see in the recent results?

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:13 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:This game was nothing like last year lol... You should really rewatch the one last year.

Very different conditions, granted, but still the same sort of game - both teams relying on a strong defence, and maintaining their discipline at key moments. Not many open chances with ball in hand. A game full of grit.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:15 pm

Still think Farrell is a walking yellow card waiting to happen, and when it does it will cost England!
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:16 pm

Notch wrote:Next round, a game to decide who will drop out of the four contenders for the championship. England vs Wales.

We have a better points difference so we have to attack Italy. We have to take some risks and try and score some tries at home and hope that the England vs Wales game is as tight as that one and that the Murrayfield quicksand also works its magic.

Points difference;

Ireland +42
England +21
Wales +16
France +1

8th March

Ireland vs Italy, 1430
Scotland vs France, 1700

9th March

England vs Wales, 1500

I still fancy Ireland to be on top of the table going into Round 5, that should be a safe bet. We'll need to have added some daylight in the points difference now though as England could rack up a score versus Italy in Round 5, or Wales against Scotland- whoever wins in Round 4.

There is plenty of reason to believe we can make history in Paris, France have a lot of parts of their game which are a bit dysfunctional. So we need to attack Italy in Round 4. We need to be positive and take some risks.

Looking at the BBC stats Wales are +6 rather than +16 I believe Notch? BBC stats are often unique at times though!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:18 pm

Congrats to England. Ireland with a 21 points difference advantage over second place England and Italy still to play. Rack up more margin against Italy and a win in Paris will bring us the championship.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:18 pm

Anyone going to watch the women's game too?

Laura wright mmmmmm
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:21 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Congrats to England.  Ireland with a 21 points difference advantage over second place England and Italy still to play.  Rack up more margin against Italy and a win in Paris will bring us the championship.

its a huge advantage - but the saving grace for england is we have a home game v Wales - you are away to France.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:22 pm

Can't decide whether to celebrate that great win with a Stella or  guinness

Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:22 pm

Well done England. Effective game plan and good bottle. Also some real improvement from the backs. Was disapointed we didnt pressure their bscks a bit more with a blitz defense.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:23 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Can't decide whether to celebrate that great win with a Stella or  guinness

a few guniesses and an ulster fry- EAT THE MUTHERS

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:23 pm

Well done England.

Tactically out thought Ireland and nullified their threats while covering your weaknesses.

Sets it up for a cracking championship.

Great performances by May, Brown, Care and Launchbury but a great team performance as well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:23 pm

Still not sure about 36, May and Nowell but hey the kids just beat Ireland  Very Happy
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:24 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Good character showed by England (much like the earlier Scotland performance) to come back from the deep. It seems that this England side isn't fazed when it falls behind early on the scoreboard. That's a sign of a maturing team but I'm sure SL would like England to start games more convincingly because you make life difficult for yourselves always chasing the game.

The Wales game saw Sexton at his best and today saw him well below par. Just goes to show how vital the flyhalf is in determining the outcome of a game. The blame shouldn't go just on him though. Just as the senior players for England responded, the Irish senior players should look at themselves for how they let their side slip from that early lead.

Entertaining games of rugby from a score perspective and now that the Slam is taken out of the equation, what a finale awaits us in the last game. The game against Italy is perfect for Ireland because France's next opponents will no doubt feel the sting of their poor performance in Wales and Ireland need to gee themselves up for that away game in Paris. After their commanding performance in Dublin they still have to prove that they can string those kinds of performances together.

Woodward says this win will set the base for a special England team now. I think he's getting carried away with the narrow win but SL's team, with some welcome new additions from injuries, are proving they will be a force to reckon with at home. They need to start winning games away from home and regularly in the SH if Woodward's comments are to be taken seriously but certainly they are developing their consistency and performance nicely. Still a big leap though to attain the level of SA or NZ, as is the case of Ireland, but they have shown with room for improvement to come that they won't be taken lightly at the 2015 RWC.
kia - you keep talking about at home...

did you know that the WC is in england in 2015.

nothing matters if we win that. Nothing.

Cant see it myself- but it does kill your argument

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:26 pm

These lady's look better than Scotland
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:27 pm

Missed the comments Kia. What else did Woodward say? He usually offers up something ridiculous. Got a chip on his shoulder about NZ and can't stop going on about 2003. If England sent him into exile and we never heard from him again it'd probably make their team more likeable Wink

Well done England on grinding it out despite losing the scrum battle convincingly. Definitely looked the fitter side at the death. Ireland were too deep out wide and lost the arm wrestle in the collisions. Kudos to Care and Brown. I like how Care runs forward and fixes players when his side are going forward. I like what Twelvetrees is trying to bring to the team as a second five eighth, not necessarily Twelvetrees himself but I like having another playmaker at 12. Nonu took years to master it. Well done Burrell too for looking likely.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:29 pm

Well played Ireland, could easily have won that. Guns, Brown didnt score, was only MOM and an assist, so I apologise, he's a hugely overrated player and far worse than Kearney Wink
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:30 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Well played Ireland, could easily have won that. Guns, Brown didnt score, was only MOM and an assist, so I apologise, he's a hugely overrated player and far worse than Kearney Wink

He played well. Well done.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:32 pm

Also I thought Joubert was very good, one decision I clearly diagReed with and wasn't sure about his interpretation but it was consistent and that's the key
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:33 pm

Great fair Ref IMHO, same for both teams, apart from the choke/head tackle!
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:33 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:Congrats to England.  Ireland with a 21 points difference advantage over second place England and Italy still to play.  Rack up more margin against Italy and a win in Paris will bring us the championship.

its a huge advantage - but the saving grace for england is we have a home game v Wales - you are away to France.
Wales wont be easy though mysti.

Neither will France for us.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:34 pm

I'm well aware oakey as I am of their tough group. I said England will be a force to reckon with at home and of course they'll be a big ask in any RWC game. I'm just referring to Woodward's comments at the end of the game (he basically said disney that today's win really sets up this young England side and we're only going to see better things.) If England had lost today nothing much would have changed. England would've still been a very good side and Ireland are showing they're heading in the right direction as well. The fact that they did win and suddenly we're to believe it's onto higher things from now is simply premature.

Besides, it doesn't kill my argument because England haven't won the RWC yet. Like I said they're a side to be reckoned with but there are other sides who are just as likely to win as well. Today didn't change that. I say well earned win from England and they'll certainly take confidence from beating this very handy Ireland side. But let's not fall into hyperbole. Today's result didn't reveal anything we didn't know before.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by JmD Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:34 pm

Heaf wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:
glamorganalun wrote:Proves the ref is in England's pocket two reasons for a penalty in that scrum.

Joubert at twickenham...

So why did he let Ireland stop an English try by tackling May around the head and let POC obstruct Launchberry for the Ireland try?

Because neither of those things happened.

Can we now agree that D'Arcy needs to call it a day internationally now? He is a passenger at best and today he was consistently killing promising moves, getting turned over in contact, he just doesn't offer anything any more.

JmD

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:35 pm

So did Kearney, took his try very well, wish Farrell would stop kicking the ball up hoping that he wouldn't win it when it was clear he could catch them all day...

Seriously, really enjoyed that match and it makes the next weekends really interesting. Still Ireland's championship to lose
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine#4 Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:37 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Can't decide whether to celebrate that great win with a Stella or  guinness

Stella?  vomit Well played England. Ireland will be kicking themselves having had them on the ropes at 10-3, we had pretty much no luck from Care's try until the end of the game. Sexton was a liability in attack, too many unforced errors. Brown rightly getting plaudits but I thought Robshaw and Wood were excellent. They outplayed their opposite numbers and Launchbury and Lawes were very good too. England need to sort out the rest of their outside backs though. May lost his head after his knock on and the best centre on the pitch was a 35 year old.

Engine#4

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:38 pm

Burrell did ok, good solid player but yes BOD did look the best.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:38 pm

May definitely panicked in the second half a lot, 36 a mix of trying good things but sloppily. Burrell ok but not as lively as BOD. Hope Wilson gets fitter and Billy V is ok...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:41 pm

I thought the scrums looked stronger once Thomas came on
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:43 pm

Was POM playing today anyone know?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:44 pm

He made a nice head tackle I think?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 22 Feb 2014, 6:46 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I'm well aware oakey as I am of their tough group. I said England will be a force to reckon with at home and of course they'll be a big ask in any RWC game. I'm just referring to Woodward's comments at the end of the game (he basically said disney that today's win really sets up this young England side and we're only going to see better things.) If England had lost today nothing much would have changed. England would've still been a very good side and Ireland are showing they're heading in the right direction as well. The fact that they did win and suddenly we're to believe it's onto higher things from now is simply premature.

Besides, it doesn't kill my argument because England haven't won the RWC yet. Like I said they're a side to be reckoned with but there are other sides who are just as likely to win as well. Today didn't change that. I say well earned win from England and they'll certainly take confidence from beating this very handy Ireland side. But let's not fall into hyperbole. Today's result didn't reveal anything we didn't know before.

woodward is one of VERY few winning RWC winners.

I dont agree with everything he says- but it cracks me up that people disrespect so much- He knows more about rugby than all off us times 10..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next