The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paul Williams now to take on Erislandy Lara

5 posters

Go down

Paul Williams now to take on Erislandy Lara Empty Paul Williams now to take on Erislandy Lara

Post by Liam_Main Fri May 20, 2011 5:35 pm

Former World Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight champion Paul Williams (39-2, 27 KO’s) has found a replacement opponent for his July 9th fight at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey, Williams, 29, will be fighting in the main event on the card against unbeaten but recently exposed Erislandy Lara (15-0-1, 10 KO’s). Williams was supposed to be fighting the light hitting junior middleweight contender Nobuhiro Ishida next.

However, who had originally approved of the Williams-Ishida bout, pulled their approval of the bout on Wednesday. Williams’ team then had to go out and find a suitable opponent that could fill this fight, while at the same time not be someone that would be too big of a puncher to put Williams in serous danger. Williams was knocked cold in the 2nd round in his last fight by Sergio Martinez and the last thing that Williams needs right now is another big slugger.
Lara, a southpaw from Cuba, can punch a little, but he’s more of a boxer than a puncher. To be sure, Lara has an impressive knockout record but those wins have come largely against 2nd and 3rd tier opposition. Boxing fans perhaps got to see what Lara’s true talent is when he struggled against fringe contender Carlos Molina in his last fight in March and had to settle for a 10 round draw. Lara should consider himself very fortunate that he got a draw out of that fight because I saw him losing that fight by a couple of rounds. He’s a good fighter but can’t handle pressure very well and is mediocre on the inside.

If Williams can stay close to Lara and put a lot of pressure on him, he should be okay. Lara has a nice uppercut that he likes to throw, so Williams is going to have to be careful he doesn’t get hit with it too many times. Lara also likes to throw a chopping left hand that sometimes hits his opponents in the back of their heads. This is another weapon that Williams needs to be careful of. He can avoid getting hit with those shots by keeping his head up and not bending forward to give Lara a big target.

Source: Boxing News 24

I think this is a better option than fighting Ishida.Ishida has been bigged up over one win. And Lara has been tipped for the top for a while so I see it being a better fight for Williams. Predictions for the fight?
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Paul Williams now to take on Erislandy Lara Empty Re: Paul Williams now to take on Erislandy Lara

Post by azania Fri May 20, 2011 7:14 pm

I thik Lara will take this. From what I've seen of him, he looks very classy. Not too sure about his punch power, but Williams has always been all bark and no bite imo.

azania

Back to top Go down

Paul Williams now to take on Erislandy Lara Empty Re: Paul Williams now to take on Erislandy Lara

Post by Liam_Main Fri May 20, 2011 7:16 pm

Lara's coming off a disappointing draw though could that affect his self believe.

Would agree Lara has the skills but I think if it turns out a brawl he isn't going to come out good.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri May 20, 2011 7:24 pm

Liam_Main wrote:Lara's coming off a disappointing draw though could that affect his self believe.

Would agree Lara has the skills but I think if it turns out a brawl he isn't going to come out good.

I dont think it will. This guy has been a top class amateur forever where losses happen more so than losses in the pro ranks. Seeing as he is based in Miami though, it could be a problem keeping motivated. That's where the cubans fall short imo. They see the good life in USA and dont train as hard.

Lara should win as he is the better boxer.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri May 20, 2011 7:32 pm

Not sure you can call Lara the better boxer at this stage in their careers, he's still completely unproven while Williams despite the Martinez loss is a proven world level fighter. Have to favour Williams who's work rate and stamina will prove too much for such an inexperienced fighter

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri May 20, 2011 7:34 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Not sure you can call Lara the better boxer at this stage in their careers, he's still completely unproven while Williams despite the Martinez loss is a proven world level fighter. Have to favour Williams who's work rate and stamina will prove too much for such an inexperienced fighter

Let me qualify that. He looks a better pure boxer. I think this will be his coming of age fight. Something which will put him on the map. I think its a good match and credit to Lara for stepping up to the plate.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri May 20, 2011 7:37 pm

Being a pure boxer doesn't equate to being a better boxer, Williams got caught by a single big punch by Martinez which I don't think Lara is capable of landing, he has neither the speed or counter punching ability to replicate it.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri May 20, 2011 7:39 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Being a pure boxer doesn't equate to being a better boxer, Williams got caught by a single big punch by Martinez which I don't think Lara is capable of landing, he has neither the speed or counter punching ability to replicate it.

I haven't been sold on Williams at all. Lara has the required skills to win. He is the better technician for want of a better word and not splitting hairs.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri May 20, 2011 9:05 pm

Williams all day, Too big a step for Lara.
Williams output will nullify Lara, I don't think Lara has the power to keep Williams honest.
There is always the chance that Williams will be gunshy after that incredible KO, its the short of KO that can finish a career. (think Hatton).

If you take the 2nd Martinze fight out of the equation I can't see Lara being as competitive as Martinez in their first fight.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri May 20, 2011 10:19 pm

This is an interesting fight. 2 fighters coming off career worse performances and having to show they have what it takes to come back from a major disappointment. Lara has the better technical skills but Williams has the higher work rate and the freakishly long arms, Nice mix of styles but I can't pick a winner because they have never had to go in the ring in this situation again.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down