The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales tour of SA

+86
Nematode
flyhalffactory
R!skysports
MMaaxx
dragonbreath
samuraidragon
TJ
George Carlin
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
Neutralee
Duty281
kingraf
LeinsterFan4life
SecretFly
welshy824 (new)
emontagu
rumpelstiltskindoh
MarcusHalberstram
trebellbobaggins
nathan
Rory_Gallagher
asoreleftshoulder
sad_gimp
brennomac
wales606
Chjw131
Cocokav
BamBam
Scoped
tatterd
ScarletSpiderman
sickofwendy
Taylorman
whocares
wayne
yappysnap
Norfolklass
The Saint
maestegmafia
Totallybiasedscarlet
geoff998rugby
glamorganalun
lostinwales
quinsforever
Knowsit17
HammerofThunor
kiakahaaotearoa
No 7&1/2
blackcanelion
gavstar
munkian
daidimview
TrailApe
GunsGerms
Scrumpy
BlueNote
Welly
Scratch
bedfordwelsh
maverickmak
rainbow-warrior
Sgt_Pooly
Biltong
GavinDragon
majesticimperialman
Notch
nobbled
Mr Fishpaste
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
offload
jimmyinthewell68
fa0019
Jimpy
Cyril
XR
Allty
irnbrew
slartibartfast
doctornickolas
The Bachelor
Liam
Seagultaf
Artful_Dodger
englandglory4ever
Taffineastbourne
Jhamer25
90 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

Wales tour of SA - Page 20 Empty Wales tour of SA

Post by The Saint Sat 15 Mar 2014, 8:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

Halfpenny is out and recent news (unknown to me) is stating that Warburton will now also miss out due to a dislocated shoulder. It doesn't look good for us going to SA without these two and with our recent away form being so bad. Personally I think it would be a good idea if we had a midweek game before the first test against a SA Provincial team, using the majority of our first team.

Who would you like to see on the plane?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Wales tour of SA - Page 20 Empty Re: Wales tour of SA

Post by Liam Thu 19 Jun 2014, 1:41 pm

Just beyond a joke now. Gareth Davies has consistently been our best scrum half for a good few seasons now, and despite him doing more in 20 mins than Phillips has done in 2 years he's still overlooked. What a joke. I can honestly say as long as gatland is in charge, we will not beat a SH side I'm convinced.

Charteris shouldn't be in the side, ball would've been my pick. Only good calls are lee and turnball. Same old story as last week, what's the point in watching when we can all see the way it's gonna go.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 19 Jun 2014, 1:46 pm

Commiserations. Its all I can say. - that and the definition of an idiot comes to mind.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jun 2014, 1:47 pm

Suppose a talking point is about how Adam Jones has been dropped completely

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 (new) Thu 19 Jun 2014, 1:51 pm

yes adam being dropped completely, and suddenly aaron Jarvis has leaped past Rhodri Jones! Also at least Baker is now on the bench.
The only change I would make if Gareth Davies to the team, as the rest of the backline needs to be given a chance, they are all class players and that was Sanjays first bad game in a welsh shirt, they should be given a chance to rectify their issue!
but good that turnball has replaced shingler, Samson starting and baker on the bench

welshy824 (new)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu 19 Jun 2014, 1:56 pm

From an outsider's perspective, this seems all too similar to Spain vs Chile last night. Stale players, stale tactics. Play exciting players for once, like Cory Allen (JR), Jordan Williams (AC), Gareth Davies (MP), Dan Baker (DL), get some pace into the Welsh game and take on SA where you actually have a chance.

If WG continues on this path, Wales quite starkly will not get out of the group stages next year given Australia and England's form. It may even be too late.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Thu 19 Jun 2014, 2:07 pm

You start to wonder what it is going to take for it to sink in that it's not all going to be okay if we just execute the same game plan more effectively. Is it ever going to? Can Gatland coach a team to play any other way?

I was hoping this would be his Lancaster moment. No such luck. We'll get a bit closer (we'll be closer to the right intensity from the start) but still lose comfortably, and he'll take comfort that when they do it all a bit better in the autumn, we'll finally succeed.

Not looking forward to this.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Thu 19 Jun 2014, 2:11 pm

Mike Phillips and Charteris are pretty lucky to keep their places. Not sure what Ianto did wrong to loose his place on the bench, but Ball have been playing really well.

Some concerns over the bench, Cory Alen is promising but inexperienced as is Baker. Hook and Morgan are fine to come on in the last 20 when there are tierd legs but the fact that both are 3rd choice at club level in their selected positions says a lot about Wales strength in depth.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 19 Jun 2014, 2:23 pm

Why the surprise? Gatland is the epitome of stubborn. Our last three away tests have proven that we simply can't compete with the old guard and yet he is stuck in the "bad day at the office" mentality. Look how long he stuck with Priestland when his form was poor!

We will struggle through the AI's, fail to deliver in the 6N's and wave good by to England and Australia at the WC. Only then will the WRU realise that we need some fresh thinking. Gatland has been great for Wales - but every team needs a new approach from time to time. Gatland should have stepped down from Wales when he was appointed to the Lions. That would have given a new coach plenty of preparation to take us to the WC. I know the Gatland apologists will be out and calling me alarmist but I still think I'm right.

The above analogy with Spanish football is a good one.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jun 2014, 2:48 pm

BlueNote wrote:You start to wonder what it is going to take for it to sink in that it's not all going to be okay if we just execute the same game plan more effectively.  Is it ever going to?  Can Gatland coach a team to play any other way?

I was hoping this would be his Lancaster moment.  No such luck.  We'll get a bit closer (we'll be closer to the right intensity from the start) but still lose comfortably, and he'll take comfort that when they do it all a bit better in the autumn, we'll finally succeed.

Not looking forward to this.

Thats the bit that gets me, what happens if we cant execute the gameplan? Do we just write off the game after 30 minutes?

Back to top Go down

Post by theskippingpig Thu 19 Jun 2014, 3:00 pm

I'm very disappointed with the selection, particularly in the backs as I would like to have seen 9, 10 and 15 changed. The bit that I really don't get is the calls for Cory Allen to be included. Did very little for the Blues last season, and lets be honest when he has played for Wales, barring the Try against the Argies last autumn, he has again done very little and hardly set the world alight. He doesn't look particularly strong in contact as he rarely breaks the line going through a player and his hands are nit great either.......sorry maybe i'm not seeing what others are!!

theskippingpig

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 19 Jun 2014, 3:15 pm

He has only played for wales once, against Argentina. He was injured most of the season for the blues, and his return was associated with the blues performance.

As for not being strong in contact, I don't know what player you have been watching
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 19 Jun 2014, 3:16 pm

Springbok team for the weekend.

South Africa: 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cornal Hendricks, 13 JP Pietersen, 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Victor Matfield (captain), 4 Flip van der Merwe ,3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.
Replacements: 16 Schalk Brits, 17 Gurthrö Steenkamp, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 19 Lodewyk de Jager, 20 Schalk Burger, 21 Ruan Pienaar, 22 Wynand Olivier, 23 Lwazi Mvovo.

Date: Saturday, June 21
Venue: Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit
Kick-off: 15.00 (13.00 GMT)
Referee: Steve Walsh (Australia)
Assistant referees: Romain Poite (France), Francesco Pastrana (Argentina)
TMO: Glenn Newman (New Zealand)
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 (new) Thu 19 Jun 2014, 3:20 pm

theskippingpig wrote:I'm very disappointed with the selection, particularly in the backs as I would like to have seen 9, 10 and 15 changed. The bit that I really don't get is the calls for Cory Allen to be included. Did very little for the Blues last season, and lets be honest when he has played for Wales, barring the Try against the Argies last autumn, he has again done very little and hardly set the world alight. He doesn't look particularly strong in contact as he rarely breaks the line going through a player and his hands are nit great either.......sorry maybe i'm not seeing what others are!!

going to have to disagree with you about Corey Allen, as Wales606 mentioned, he has only played for wales twice now. He has a great deal of potential, he is like a combination of hook/Roberts. Big and powerful (believe he is 6ft 4) but also very good distribution and a very good set of skills, especially his dummy which is beautiful.

Roberts as good a player as he is, just hasn't developed that much, I mean he is good at what he does but boshing is all he really does, the SA game was the first time I can ever recall seeing him step a player. For a clearly intelligent man he only seems to have that route 1 approach, and he also rarely kicks.

I mean compare him to Nonu, when he came on the seen he was primarily a bosh player, but if you look at how his game has developed in terms of a kicking and distributing game, Roberts just hasn't kicked on in that respect, whereas Allen can do both the bosh and the distribution, and at such a young age will develop even more so

welshy824 (new)

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 19 Jun 2014, 3:31 pm

although I do agree with starting Roberts for this game
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu 19 Jun 2014, 4:13 pm

What is he thinking, it's mad.
His stubborn and ignorant views are ruining our chances of getting out of the world cup pool. We WILL LOSE AGAIN maybe not by as big a margin, but we will lose; Gatland will say we have improved form the previous, and make a few more excuses and than it will be another useless tour where we have beat a SH team yet he will only talk about the positives and not the truth
Why the f##k can everyone see it but him, I bet my nan can see it and she doesn't even watch rugby.
It was the perfect time to give chances to Gareth Davies, Jake Ball and Dan Baker. We aren't building towards the world cup were just digging a much deeper hole. What will it take to drop Mike Phillips?
He has blew it for the last time ow with me because I have lost patience with him

Last edited by Jhamer25 on Thu 19 Jun 2014, 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 19 Jun 2014, 4:15 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:What will it take to drop Mike Phillips?

Him having a cartoon anvil dropped on him.

The majority of Phillips caps must now have been 'last chance' caps
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Thu 19 Jun 2014, 4:19 pm

wales606 wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:What will it take to drop Mike Phillips?

Him having a cartoon anvil dropped on him.

The majority of Phillips caps must now have been 'last chance' caps

It's just getting to be a joke now and form a welsh fans point of view it really isn't funny. He shouldn't even be on tour, I said that at the start

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Thu 19 Jun 2014, 4:30 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:What is he thinking, it's mad.
His stubborn and ignorant views are ruining our chances of getting out of the world cup pool. We WILL LOSE AGAIN maybe not by as big a margin, but we will lose; Gatland will say we have improved form the previous, and make a few more excuses and than it will be another useless tour where we have beat a SH team yet he will only talk about the positives and not the truth
Why the f##k can everyone see it but him, I bet my nan can see it and she doesn't even watch rugby.
It was the perfect time to give chances to Gareth Davies, Jake Ball and Dan Baker. We aren't building towards the world cup were just digging a much deeper hole. What will it take to drop Mike Phillips?
He has blew it for the last time ow with me because I have lost patience with him

if only it were true

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 19 Jun 2014, 4:51 pm

I honestly think this is Gatlands worst selection ever, we were 2nd best in every facet last week and likely to be this week even with the changes people wanted but least he would have given players the chance.

I still think he was wrong to take just Adam Jones off so early last week and think he's been made a bit of a scapegoat, I would have taken Jenkins off as well.

I just hope he is quick enough this week to do the same if players he has shown faith in are not performing.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jun 2014, 5:17 pm

I don't see the point in giving players another chance to prove themselves. It does work for the next game (where we generally get some sort of reaction), but then we will inevitably suffer the same dross in the Autumn. Gatland is too stubborn and his selections for rewarding form are left too late. Yes he has done well to play Lee now, but he has brought him in too late. He did the same with Faletau when he didn't cap him for a while. To start Mike Phillips constantly is a terrible decision. I don't really feel any connection when watching Wales now (due to constant favoritism in selection), but I do feel so angry when I see form players being ignored. We should be developing enough depth that if a player has one bad game, they are out. England have it now and have a coach that has the courage to make appropriate changes. There should never be second chances, until they play themselves back into form for their club/region. Every player should genuinely feel under threat for their position. The way Cement Head does his selections, there is no way a player will feel that way. That's why when a player is eventually dropped, it comes out as such a major story (even if it is the correct decision).

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 19 Jun 2014, 6:21 pm

So I guess Gatland is on a low ebb at the moment? Popularity wise? Wonder what will happen to raise him up again? Good 6 nations? SH win in the AI.

After the Lions he was god's gift to rugby coaching. Before that he was clueless. Before that god's gift...clueless...god's gift....etc. Is it the same people making these claims (and they're very erratic) or is it just different people getting louder when he does well/badly?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Thu 19 Jun 2014, 6:48 pm

As a Welsh fan we all know we are riding a rugby roller coaster, question is, is Gatland driving it?

My impression is he will settle for 6 Nations success because Wales have never succeeded in the SH and therefore there is no expectation. That is all well and good when we win repeat 6 Nations and Grand Slams, interspersed with Welsh Lions victories though i for one believe that little arrangement lies at the heart of our failure to progress and be consistent.

What I think is worst of all is the repeated platitudes, we need to improve a little bit of this, a little bit of that etc. No, we need a new approach.

This week Edwrads came out and admitted they trained ONCE for the first test. It just beggars belief that they did and that he would admit it and make it an excuse. These are PROS but you almost get the feeling this was an end of season jolly.

I am certain Wales will step up next 6 Nations and may even sneak a win at home in the autumn but ho much more must we tolerate of the failings aginst the SH?

Fact is if we don't get out of our group at the World Cup it will be game over and time for a new broom.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 19 Jun 2014, 7:04 pm

Still picking the inner circle of players regardless of form still the same tactics and the same results against SH teams, why can't the WRU see that Wales are going backwards we have no chance in the RWC getting out of the group with very good players!

It will not be a close game unless they stop kicking the ball away and keep going down the blindside etc.

The positives of the selection Lee has replaced Jones (finally) and this should be Gatland's last game (wishfull thinking).

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jun 2014, 8:38 pm

Wales went through the undroppables before, only at the time it was Stephen Jones, Martyn Williams, Jon Thomas and Ryan Jones.

The current lot such as Phillips and Roberts ALWAYS come out and say "you can never gurantee your place in this squad" but its complete nonsense, they know full well they will play

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Thu 19 Jun 2014, 8:56 pm

theskippingpig wrote:I'm very disappointed with the selection, particularly in the backs as I would like to have seen 9, 10 and 15 changed. The bit that I really don't get is the calls for Cory Allen to be included. Did very little for the Blues last season, and lets be honest when he has played for Wales, barring the Try against the Argies last autumn, he has again done very little and hardly set the world alight. He doesn't look particularly strong in contact as he rarely breaks the line going through a player and his hands are nit great either.......sorry maybe i'm not seeing what others are!!

No you are not.  Headscratch 

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Thu 19 Jun 2014, 8:59 pm

A definition of madness is to expect a different outcome when doing the same thing time after time.

Gatland is one crazy Frak picard 

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Fri 20 Jun 2014, 12:41 am

I know almost nothing about football, but agree fully with the above posters - watching Spain drudge their way to inevitable defeat last night in the World Cup really reminded me of watching the current Wales rugby team.

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Fri 20 Jun 2014, 9:01 am

Scratch wrote:As a Welsh fan we all know we are riding a rugby roller coaster, question is, is Gatland driving it?

My impression is he will settle for 6 Nations success because Wales have never succeeded in the SH and therefore there is no expectation. That is all well and good when we win repeat 6 Nations and Grand Slams, interspersed with Welsh Lions victories though i for one believe that little arrangement lies at the heart of our failure to progress and be consistent.

What I think is worst of all is the repeated platitudes, we need to improve a little bit of this, a little bit of that etc. No, we need a new approach.

This week Edwrads came out and admitted they trained ONCE for the first test. It just beggars belief that they did and that he would admit it and make it an excuse. These are PROS but you almost get the feeling this was an end of season jolly.

I am certain Wales will step up next 6 Nations and may even sneak a win at home in the autumn but ho much more must we tolerate of the failings aginst the SH?

Fact is if we don't get out of our group at the World Cup it will be game over and time for a new broom.

Trust me Wales will not qualify from that group. Aren't Fiji the likely Pacific team (baring in mind they only have to beat the Cook Islands to secure the spot)?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Jun 2014, 3:37 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/27935025

Jamie Roberts pledges no sin-bin repeat

Yeah that would be great, cheers Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 20 Jun 2014, 3:56 pm

If Jamie Roberts had been fit for the 3rd test in 2009, he would have beaten New Zealand, South Africa and Australia in his career.

wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 20 Jun 2014, 3:57 pm

when did he beat NZ?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 20 Jun 2014, 3:58 pm

fa0019 wrote:when did he beat NZ?

With the Baabaas a few year ago
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 20 Jun 2014, 4:42 pm

Jimpy wrote:
Scratch wrote:As a Welsh fan we all know we are riding a rugby roller coaster, question is, is Gatland driving it?

Trust me Wales will not qualify from that group. Aren't Fiji the likely Pacific team (baring in mind they only have to beat the Cook Islands to secure the spot)?

Well after that prediction i suddenly feel much more optimistic. We'll see what you have to offer when you come to Cardiff in the 6 Nations thumbsup 

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 20 Jun 2014, 7:22 pm

seems to be a complete lack of interest in this tour on this site, fact is from a welsh point of view i think we are all fed up with the inexplicable selections and lack of progress against the SH, to the extent that perhaps we just don't expect anything form our side and all we can expect is the usual excuses from our management. Worrying times.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Fri 20 Jun 2014, 8:14 pm

A dismal trudge through the motions to support the summer tour/autumn international reciprocity.

Desperately needed a bit of Henson-fuelled documentary footage just to justify the whole pointless sham.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Fri 20 Jun 2014, 9:09 pm

IronMike wrote:Wales went through the undroppables before, only at the time it was Stephen Jones, Martyn Williams, Jon Thomas and Ryan Jones.

The current lot such as Phillips and Roberts ALWAYS come out and say "you can never gurantee your place in this squad" but its complete nonsense, they know full well they will play

What would Wales give for a young fit and firing; Steve Jones, Martin Williams and Ryan Jones now? And Jon Thomas wasn't so bad!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Sat 21 Jun 2014, 3:37 am

seagultaf you are wasting your breath !!!!! personally I agree with your comments, but the 'welsh way' supporters never liked Stephen jones, they don't like dan biggar, would never ever have anyone resembling jonny Wilkinson in their team. they want hook, good old hooky, who we can cheer along as he runs away from the rest of the team down the mindless alleys to get turned over. little morgan, oh!!! ah!!!! there he goes........for fsake !!!! its not about ohing and ahing, and aw, never mind, but he reminds me of the 70's.!!!!!!!!
dan biggar did well in that test game. he played to orders yes, but was carrying a game in the first half where our defence was pathetic, service from Phillips awful. in some ways I wish hook would be thrown on to start the next game to expose YET AGAIN how poor he is in all aspects of play at 10.
we have been here so many times and people have short memories of being let down by hook. why on earth can't people see it, and why are the majority so reluctant to give credit to dan biggar.
yes we want more, yes we want excitement, but be realistic within the context of the game. the bench came on when everyone else was played out, if the subs hadn't upped the tempo then what the hell were they coming on for !!!!!!!
good article the other day on top number 10's in rugby, according to welsh supporters jonny Wilkinson wasn't even in the top 15 !!!!!! WAKE UP let the 10 do the 10 job in todays game, the other players can do , or should do the rest
why was hook moved from 10 at the ospreys, why was hook ( oh he's playing well in france ) moved from 10 at Perpignan BECAUSE HE IS UNRELIABLE AS A 10. we are going forward, hook is the past.

typical welsh supporter who hasn't got a clue says ' see those runs, and steps reminds me of....... and then he ducked inside and .was..... we lost but hooky had made some lovely breaks.

I don't want lovely breaks, I want a win, any shape any how. Well done dan biggar, you did a good job.good luck in the next test you deserve it.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 21 Jun 2014, 7:58 am

I think a lot of people here are being a bit over the top. The truth of the matter is that our Autumn and Summer tours do not lend themselves well to SH success. They have a massive advantage going into both periods. All SH national sides (with the exception of Argentina) have a major advantage of being together longer for both test windows. Their season is based on international success.

They have more time in camp before summer tours and then are together for a period taking them right up to the Autumn internationals thus establishing patterns and gelling as sides.

By contrast our players come off the end of the club season and are thrust straight into away tours. Then they have their summer no rugby breaks only to have to play catchup on our SH counterparts. To be honest I think if SH sides came played us just after the 6 nations for example it would be a totally different story. Bottom line is SH have identified that they need longer periods of time together in blocks at international level to maintain top standing in World Rugby (in terms of rankings). They also need to do this because rugby in those countries would be unsustainable if the international teams did not dominate the world rankings. Funding from the IRB is based on this.

I also don't understand the negative comments by the press and public towards Gatland. He's easily the most successful coach Wales have ever had (in the professional era anyway) and probably one of the best head coaches in World Rugby. Granted we don't always see eye to eye with his selection but the guy has introduced youth over the years not to mention last World Cup where we had one of our most successful tournaments on the world stage. I've no doubt that he is the right guy for the job and he has my support. For me he is juggling difficult circumstances in terms of the politics in wales not to mention not having as much time to prepare and develop his sides as he would like.

If we want better performances as a country we have to look at our seasons organisation. I broken season wont help us in terms of developing our game plan. Players just dont have enough time in camp to get past the basics. Gats has already previously said that he thinks he gets his team to a certain level to develop only to have to return to basics after not having long enough with them.

I actually believe SH sides are not better than us - just better prepared!

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 21 Jun 2014, 8:02 am

Welshmushroom wrote:I think a lot of people here are being a bit over the top.  The truth of the matter is that our Autumn and Summer tours do not lend themselves well to SH success.  They have a massive advantage going into both periods.  All SH national sides (with the exception of Argentina) have a major advantage of being together longer for both test windows.  Their season is based on international success.  

They have more time in camp before summer tours and then are together for a period taking them right up to the Autumn internationals thus establishing patterns and gelling as sides.  

By contrast our players come off the end of the club season and are thrust straight into away tours.  Then they have their summer no rugby breaks only to have to play catchup on our SH counterparts.  To be honest I think if SH sides came played us just after the 6 nations for example it would be a totally different story.  Bottom line is SH have identified that they need longer periods of time together in blocks at international level to maintain top standing in World Rugby (in terms of rankings).  They also need to do this because rugby in those countries would be unsustainable if the international teams did not dominate the world rankings.  Funding from the IRB is based on this.

I also don't understand the negative comments by the press and public towards Gatland.  He's easily the most successful coach Wales have ever had (in the professional era anyway) and probably one of the best head coaches in World Rugby.  Granted we don't always see eye to eye with his selection but the guy has introduced youth over the years not to mention last World Cup where we had one of our most successful tournaments on the world stage.  I've no doubt that he is the right guy for the job and he has my support.  For me he is juggling difficult circumstances in terms of the politics in wales not to mention not having as much time to prepare and develop his sides as he would like.

If we want better performances as a country we have to look at our seasons organisation.  I broken season wont help us in terms of developing our game plan.  Players just dont have enough time in camp to get past the basics.  Gats has already previously said that he thinks he gets his team to a certain level to develop only to have to return to  basics after not having long enough with them.

I think you are being disingenuous. The Boks get together a week before the first match in June, plus half their squad comes from overseas clubs.

Same scenario applies in November. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 21 Jun 2014, 8:04 am

Same with the ABs. The week before they were playing super rugby. They hadnt been together since November.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat 21 Jun 2014, 9:31 am

I think Gatland would have his players longer than any comparison side in Europe - certainly during most of his tenure with them. That might be changing a little with the number of Welsh players going off to other jurisdictions and outside clubs. But he's had the best of it regarding availability of players in Europe up until now.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 21 Jun 2014, 11:56 am

Biltong wrote:
Welshmushroom wrote:I think a lot of people here are being a bit over the top.  The truth of the matter is that our Autumn and Summer tours do not lend themselves well to SH success.  They have a massive advantage going into both periods.  All SH national sides (with the exception of Argentina) have a major advantage of being together longer for both test windows.  Their season is based on international success.  

By contrast our players come off the end of the club season and are thrust straight into away tours.  Then they have their summer no rugby breaks only to have to play catchup on our SH counterparts.  To be honest I think if SH sides came played us just after the 6 nations for example it would be a totally different story.  Bottom line is SH have identified that they need longer periods of time together in blocks at international level to maintain top standing in World Rugby (in terms of rankings).  They also need to do this because rugby in those countries would be unsustainable if the international teams did not dominate the world rankings.  Funding from the IRB is based on this.

I also don't understand the negative comments by the press and public towards Gatland.  He's easily the most successful coach Wales have ever had (in the professional era anyway) and probably one of the best head coaches in World Rugby.  Granted we don't always see eye to eye with his selection but the guy has introduced youth over the years not to mention last World Cup where we had one of our most successful tournaments on the world stage.  I've no doubt that he is the right guy for the job and he has my support.  For me he is juggling difficult circumstances in terms of the politics in wales not to mention not having as much time to prepare and develop his sides as he would like.

If we want better performances as a country we have to look at our seasons organisation.  I broken season wont help us in terms of developing our game plan.  Players just dont have enough time in camp to get past the basics.  Gats has already previously said that he thinks he gets his team to a certain level to develop only to have to return to  basics after not having long enough with them.

I think you are being disingenuous. The Boks get together a week before the first match in June, plus half their squad comes from overseas clubs.

Same scenario applies in November. Wink

yeah reading this again where on earth did all this come from? then to end up with that conclusion- not better, just better prepared?

man I hope thats a joke, cos if it isnt, it is now.

Does Wales have a realistic chance tonight? Thats a good Bok side.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 21 Jun 2014, 11:59 am

Laugh 

picard 

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 21 Jun 2014, 12:13 pm

Guys, this one's nearly full. I've set up a match thread for you here:

https://www.606v2.com/t54424-south-africa-v-wales-2nd-test-nelspruit#2692675

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down