The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales tour of SA

+86
Nematode
flyhalffactory
R!skysports
MMaaxx
dragonbreath
samuraidragon
TJ
George Carlin
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
Neutralee
Duty281
kingraf
LeinsterFan4life
SecretFly
welshy824 (new)
emontagu
rumpelstiltskindoh
MarcusHalberstram
trebellbobaggins
nathan
Rory_Gallagher
asoreleftshoulder
sad_gimp
brennomac
wales606
Chjw131
Cocokav
BamBam
Scoped
tatterd
ScarletSpiderman
sickofwendy
Taylorman
whocares
wayne
yappysnap
Norfolklass
The Saint
maestegmafia
Totallybiasedscarlet
geoff998rugby
glamorganalun
lostinwales
quinsforever
Knowsit17
HammerofThunor
kiakahaaotearoa
No 7&1/2
blackcanelion
gavstar
munkian
daidimview
TrailApe
GunsGerms
Scrumpy
BlueNote
Welly
Scratch
bedfordwelsh
maverickmak
rainbow-warrior
Sgt_Pooly
Biltong
GavinDragon
majesticimperialman
Notch
nobbled
Mr Fishpaste
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
offload
jimmyinthewell68
fa0019
Jimpy
Cyril
XR
Allty
irnbrew
slartibartfast
doctornickolas
The Bachelor
Liam
Seagultaf
Artful_Dodger
englandglory4ever
Taffineastbourne
Jhamer25
90 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

Wales tour of SA Empty Wales tour of SA

Post by The Saint Sun 16 Mar 2014 - 7:54

Halfpenny is out and recent news (unknown to me) is stating that Warburton will now also miss out due to a dislocated shoulder. It doesn't look good for us going to SA without these two and with our recent away form being so bad. Personally I think it would be a good idea if we had a midweek game before the first test against a SA Provincial team, using the majority of our first team.

Who would you like to see on the plane?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Wales tour of SA Empty Re: Wales tour of SA

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 16 Mar 2014 - 8:17

Why just them two?  Li Williams proved more than a replacement today and people have said for sometime Tipuric should start, as for whose on the plane well for me it needs to be a mixture but with the emphasis on experience or we will get stuffed.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 16 Mar 2014 - 8:26

I think Tipuric's cameo's during this tournament has proven he shouldn't be starting. Warbs performances proved that he still our best. Li Williams played well no doubt, do you think it was because of the opposition or because he was at 15, where some claim he is much better.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 16 Mar 2014 - 8:28

The Saint wrote:I think Tipuric's cameo's during this tournament has proven he shouldn't be starting. Warbs performances proved that he still our best. Li Williams played well no doubt, do you think it was because of the opposition or because he was at 15, where some claim he is much better.

Saint,

I agree on Tipuric but it is hard to assess players on cameo roles, that said I think Warburton has been great. As for Williams I think its a bit of both, you have to take the opposition into account but he is playing in his natural and preferred position.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Mar 2014 - 8:38

I wasn't keen on Liam Williams before todays game but hes proven that hes probably a better fullback than Haflpenny, I'd actually put Halfpenny back on the wing.

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 16 Mar 2014 - 8:49

IM,

I was of same view but people have been saying for sometime that Halfpenny and Williams should swap positions.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Wales tour of SA Empty Wales Tour of South Africa

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 5:08

Now with an average Six Nations, some poor performances and a two test series against South Africa I can't say i'm overly confident.
Now this so called phrase 'Gatlandball' has a very physical approach to our opposition but we are going to go head to head with arguably the most physical team in world rugby. So the question is, will it work?

We haven't had a double header against South Africa for a while and haven't played them very much the past few seasons which will be interesting. I do think we need to add more dimension to our game because the game plan we have currently will not work against their giant pack, we will get smashed up front otherwise. I would personally like to see a forwards coach come in bring something new to out pack; a coach like Danny Wilson who led a junior world cup squad to a semi final with a great forward set up and has now transformed an average Scarlet's pack to a dominant one with little resources. It's just simple tactics/skills like getting a second pass away before taking contact which will help against  a team like South Africa, we need to stay away from contact as much as we can.

All ready we have two of our mist important players in Halfpenny, Scott Williams and San Warburton out (already) which is going to be a massive blow and will now test our strength in depth. It is also fair to say that we will pick up a few more injuries against a brutal south African team. I honestly believe that this tour will tell us where we are as a whole, where our development is and what we can expect for the next world cup.

Wales squad for South Africa:
Props
Gethin Jenkins
Paul James
Rob Evans
Samson Lee
Rhodri Jones
Adam Jones

Hooker
Richard Hibbard
Ken Owens
Emyr Phillips

Locks
Alyn Wyn Jones
Jake Ball
Ian Evans
Luke Carteris
Bradly Davies

Flankers
Justin Tipuric
Dan Lydiate
Aaron Shingler
Ryan Jones
Ellis Jenkins

Number 8
Talaupe Falateu
Dan Baker

Scrum Half
Rhys Webb
Gareth Davies
Rhodri Williams

Fly Half
Dan Biggar
Rhys Priestland
Rhys Patchell

Centers
Jamie Roberts
John Davies
Cory Allen
Ashley Beck

Wingers
Alex Cuthbert
George North
Eli Walker (if fit)
Jordan Williams

Full Back
Liam Williams
James Hook
Lee Byrne

We need new faces, we need new tactics, we need to win at least one of these games to stay the power we have been known to be over the past two season because our performance in the Six Nations didn't show that. If not,then where have we improved from our two six nations titles? and can we beat one of the big 3? (we won't be winning any world cup if we can't)

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 5:27

Didn't they announce a third test yesterday?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 5:30

Not heard of many Dragons players evidently.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 5:55

I posted this last night, maybe we can a merger?

https://www.606v2.com/t52615-wales-tour-of-sa

My OP alludes to the union hopefully organising another game, just not against SA...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 5:58

I thought I saw about a third test, but obviously not (or can't find about it now). There is a midweek game planned though aye

Warren Gatland wrote:Really tough tour of South Africa, take a slightly bigger squad, and looking potentially at midweek game against Southern Kings in Port Elizabeth so everyone's a part of the tour. We know how tough a place it is.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 6:03

Did he say when though? We need to use it as preparation for the first test, past that would be a waste of time IMO like the game against Western Force in Perth.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 6:06

IronMike wrote:I wasn't keen on Liam Williams before todays game but hes proven that hes probably a better fullback than Haflpenny, I'd actually put Halfpenny back on the wing.
I would not read too much into yesterday's fiasco.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 6:12

What has Coombs done wrong?He has really impressed.
Bradley Davies?Come on.He has done nothing since that assault v Ireland the other year.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 6:17

Taffineastbourne wrote:
IronMike wrote:I wasn't keen on Liam Williams before todays game but hes proven that hes probably a better fullback than Haflpenny, I'd actually put Halfpenny back on the wing.
I would not read too much into yesterday's fiasco.

To be fair, he took his first try well, and has good hands. Could you really see Halfpenny winning the highball against the Scottish 14 and setting up Norths try?

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 6:18

Yes.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 6:20

I wouldn't take Patchell or Allen, both have missed a huge chunk of this season through injury, taking them onto a SA tour is a bad idea

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 6:23

Sorry guys I didn't see that there was already a thread made similar to this. Feel free to shut it down.

Sorry Saint didn't see it

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by englandglory4ever Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 6:32

Good luck in SA Wales. You'll need it in spades.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 6:39

I merged the two threads guys.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 6:43

Jhamer25 wrote:Now with an average Six Nations, some poor performances and a two test series against South Africa I can't say i'm overly confident.
Now this so called phrase 'Gatlandball' has a very physical approach to our opposition but we are going to go head to head with arguably the most physical team in world rugby. So the question is, will it work?

We haven't had a double header against South Africa for a while and haven't played them very much the past few seasons which will be interesting. I do think we need to add more dimension to our game because the game plan we have currently will not work against their giant pack, we will get smashed up front otherwise. I would personally like to see a forwards coach come in bring something new to out pack; a coach like Danny Wilson who led a junior world cup squad to a semi final with a great forward set up and has now transformed an average Scarlet's pack to a dominant one with little resources. It's just simple tactics/skills like getting a second pass away before taking contact which will help against  a team like South Africa, we need to stay away from contact as much as we can.

All ready we have two of our mist important players in Halfpenny, Scott Williams and San Warburton out (already) which is going to be a massive blow and will now test our strength in depth. It is also fair to say that we will pick up a few more injuries against a brutal south African team. I honestly believe that this tour will tell us where we are as a whole, where our development is and what we can expect for the next world cup.

Props
Gethin Jenkins
Paul James
Rob Evans
Samson Lee
Rhodri Jones
Adam Jones

Hooker
Richard Hibbard
Ken Owens
Emyr Phillips

Locks
Alyn Wyn Jones
Jake Ball
Ian Evans
Luke Carteris
Bradly Davies

Flankers
Justin Tipuric
Dan Lydiate
Aaron Shingler
Ryan Jones
Ellis Jenkins

Number 8
Talaupe Falateu
Dan Baker

Scrum Half
Rhys Webb
Gareth Davies
Rhodri Williams

Fly Half
Dan Biggar
Rhys Priestland
Rhys Patchell

Centers
Jamie Roberts
John Davies
Cory Allen
Ashley Beck

Wingers
Alex Cuthbert
George North
Eli Walker (if fit)
Jordan Williams

Full Back
Liam Williams
James Hook
Lee Byrne

We need new faces, we need new tactics, we need to win at least one of these games to stay the power we have been known to be over the past two season because our performance in the Six Nations didn't show that. If not,then where have we improved from our two six nations titles? and can  we beat one of the big 3? (we won't be winning any world cup if we can't)

Scott Williams in for beck and Amos for byrne,

i would agree with martyn williams comments on scrum v re leaving a few players at home to rest e.g wyn jones and faletau, possibly roberts as well

i don't think we would win with a full side down there so i would use this to experiment - even if it means a 50 point drubbing, i want us to try something different in terms of personel and tactics

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 6:44

would also take rhys gill, and i think ieuan jones should be looked at

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 6:45

and i would take owen williams of leicester over priestland

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 6:49

IronMike wrote:I wouldn't take Patchell or Allen, both have missed a huge chunk of this season through injury, taking them onto a SA tour is a bad idea
Surely,all the more reason to take them!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 6:57

GavinDragon wrote:and i would take owen williams of leicester over priestland

Agreed, showing more potential and is getting game time

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 6:59

Taffineastbourne wrote:Yes.

The only time Halfpenny has been truly instrumental in attack while playing FB was on the Lions tour in the 3rd test but he hasn't shown that for Wales, he doesn't offer the same counter attacking threat as someone like Mike Brown.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 7:10

I would like us to take the best available squad, and I think we will. I'm not sure who I would take, but I know I wouldn't take Ian Evans, Bradley Davies, Rob Evans, Dan Baker, Aaron Shingler, Ellis Jenkins, Rhys Webb, Rhys Priestland, Ashley Beck, Lee Byrne.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 7:27

Thanks Biltong, i missed Saint thread

GavinDragon'
Agree with what you say but i think Scott Willliams is out for the rest of the season, that's what they said anyway.
To me Rhys Gill is the future of our loosehead birth and will battle with Rob when Gethin retires. However, i'm really annoyed on how he has been treated at the Saracens. He is now I think 4th choice being 3 English qualified props who can't scrummage for Sh!t. He wouldn't be ready at all for this tour without any game time in the Aviva. He need to move clubs because he is being treated terribly by the Saracens; he is clearly the best scrummaging prop they have.

Rhys Priestland has to go guys because like it or not he is the second best thing we have. Martyn Williams is right but we just can't afford to do it. Maybe we could afford to rest players like AdamJones, Alyn Wyn, Jamie Roberts and Gethin Jenkins but who would replace Toby. We just don't have the depth t do that. I agree with Jiffy, we can't afford not to take our best team on this type of tour. But we do need to introduce new players like Rob, Ellis, Jordan Williams, Dan Baker because come the world cup, we could have about 8 injured players and then no one with real experience or international class behind them, then we will struggle.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 7:31

Jhamer25 wrote:Thanks Biltong, i missed Saint thread

GavinDragon'
Agree with what you say but i think Scott Willliams is out for the rest of the season, that's what they said anyway.
To me Rhys Gill is the future of our loosehead birth and will battle with Rob when Gethin retires. However, i'm really annoyed on how he has been treated at the Saracens. He is now I think 4th choice being 3 English qualified props who can't scrummage for Sh!t. He wouldn't be ready at all for this tour without any game time in the Aviva. He need to move clubs because he is being treated terribly by the Saracens; he is clearly the best scrummaging prop they have.

Rhys Priestland has to go guys because like it or not he is the second best thing we have. Martyn Williams is right but we just can't afford to do it. Maybe we could afford to rest players like AdamJones, Alyn Wyn, Jamie Roberts and Gethin Jenkins but who would replace Toby. We just don't have the depth t do that. I agree with Jiffy, we can't afford not to take our best team on this type of tour. But we do need to introduce new players like Rob, Ellis, Jordan Williams, Dan Baker because come the world cup, we could have about 8 injured players and then no one with real experience or international class behind them, then we will struggle.

I see your point of view but I dont agree with it, I believe it would be worse to take a full strength side down and lose (as is most likely) than to go down with an inexperienced squad, have no expectations and see who emerges, we may just be surprised at who rises to the challenge and proves what many in wales think - that there is nothing outside the current squad, because that attitude allows players to rest on their laurels

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 7:32

I hope Heyneke Meyer decides to test a few youngsters.

Specifically in the backline, if we good get young halfbacks, flyhalfs and centres tested it would show him the youngsters are more adventurous.

I fear he may not do it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 7:34

who is in the pipeline for the boks bilt? player wise?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 7:39

GavinDragon wrote:

GavinDragon'

I see your point of view but I dont agree with it, I believe it would be worse to take a full strength side down and lose (as is most likely) than to go down with an inexperienced squad, have no expectations and see who emerges, we may just be surprised at who rises to the challenge and proves what many in wales think - that there is nothing outside the current squad, because that attitude allows players to rest on their laurels

Fair enough, their are strengths and weaknesses for both views really.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 7:43

Jhamer25 wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:

GavinDragon'

I see your point of view but I dont agree with it, I believe it would be worse to take a full strength side down and lose (as is most likely) than to go down with an inexperienced squad, have no expectations and see who emerges, we may just be surprised at who rises to the challenge and disproves what many in wales think - that there is nothing outside the current squad, because that attitude allows players to rest on their laurels

Fair enough, their are strengths and weaknesses for both views really.

edited

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 7:48

GavinDragon wrote:who is in the pipeline for the boks bilt? player wise?

Geez mate, we have unearthed some very good youngsters over the last two years.

Props.

Lourens Adriaanse
Frans Malherbe

Locks
Pieter Stef du Toit ( out for the year)
Stephan Lewies
Lood de Jager

Backrow
Arno Botha

Scrumhalf
Piet v zyl
Cobus Reinach

Flyhalf
Goosen should be back in the picture
Marnitz Boshoff, he has been a revelation this year, has kicked something like 26/28 kicks, made 5 dropgoals, and is solid in defence and nippy on attack.

Centre
Andre Esterhuizen
Damian de Allende
Paul Jordaan

We're a bit short on wings though.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 7:51

so who do you think meyer will start in the first test, is it at altitude?

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 7:54

First test is in Durban, second test is in Nelspruit, who he will pick, I doubt he will experiment much, but we should see Schalk Burger back, he might give Goosen or Lambie a go at 10, Frans Steyn should be back at 12 and the rest will be business as usual.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 7:56

Who do you want to start at 9 Biltong? Smile

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 7:58

I would like to see Reinach get a chance, he is a promising young player, versatile and enthusiastic.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 8:05

IronMike wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:Yes.

The only time Halfpenny has been truly instrumental in attack while playing FB was on the Lions tour in the 3rd test but he hasn't shown that for Wales, he doesn't offer the same counter attacking threat as someone like Mike Brown.
He has more pace than Brown and has an eye for a break.He is great in the air and a courageous tackler.He is also less likely to be carded than Williams!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 8:39

Biltong wrote:First test is in Durban, second test is in Nelspruit, who he will pick, I doubt he will experiment much, but we should see Schalk Burger back, he might give Goosen or Lambie a go at 10, Frans Steyn should be back at 12 and the rest will be business as usual.

thumbsup Looking forward to seeing him play in the Bok jersey again.

There might be some changes, but how much of the old guard will come back in? Schalk, as you've pointed out. But there was also talk of guys like Victor Matfield to come out of retirement... Outside captain De Villiers will we see Jacque Fourie, JP Pitersen and Habana? Why not Bakkies while Meyer is at it.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 15:53

The Saint wrote:
Biltong wrote:First test is in Durban, second test is in Nelspruit, who he will pick, I doubt he will experiment much, but we should see Schalk Burger back, he might give Goosen or Lambie a go at 10, Frans Steyn should be back at 12 and the rest will be business as usual.

thumbsup Looking forward to seeing him play in the Bok jersey again.

There might be some changes, but how much of the old guard will come back in? Schalk, as you've pointed out. But there was also talk of guys like Victor Matfield to come out of retirement... Outside captain De Villiers will we see Jacque Fourie, JP Pitersen and Habana? Why not Bakkies while Meyer is at it.

With Etzebeth there and as you suggest Victo, I don't think Bakkies is necessary anymore, but wrh Meyer you never know.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 18:14

Jhamer25 wrote:Now with an average Six Nations, some poor performances and a two test series against South Africa I can't say i'm overly confident.

Props
Gethin Jenkins
Paul James
Rob Evans
Samson Lee
Rhodri Jones
Adam Jones

Hooker
Richard Hibbard
Ken Owens
Emyr Phillips

Locks
Alyn Wyn Jones
Jake Ball
Ian Evans
Luke Carteris
Bradly Davies

Flankers
Justin Tipuric
Dan Lydiate
Aaron Shingler
Ryan Jones
Ellis Jenkins

Number 8
Talaupe Falateu
Dan Baker

Scrum Half
Rhys Webb
Gareth Davies
Rhodri Williams

Fly Half
Dan Biggar
Rhys Priestland
Rhys Patchell

Centers
Jamie Roberts
John Davies
Cory Allen
Ashley Beck

Wingers
Alex Cuthbert
George North
Eli Walker (if fit)
Jordan Williams

Full Back
Liam Williams
James Hook
Lee Byrne

We need new faces, we need new tactics, we need to win at least one of these games to stay the power we have been known to be over the past two season because our performance in the Six Nations didn't show that. If not,then where have we improved from our two six nations titles? and can  we beat one of the big 3? (we won't be winning any world cup if we can't)

Rhys Gill over Jenkins
Lewis Evans over Ellis Jenkins or Shingler
Iuean Jones and/or Morgan Allen instead of Faletau (give him a rest)
Tovey over Patchell
Sc Williams over Beck

I would also like to see Jack Dixon given a shot.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 18:59

bedford while dixon shows promise I dont think it necessary to blood him yet, there are good centres playing well ahead of him in the pecking order and i think this season he would be better off with the 20's at the JWC

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Mon 17 Mar 2014 - 23:51

bedfordwelsh wrote:

Props
Gethin Jenkins
Paul James
Rob Evans
Samson Lee
Rhodri Jones
Adam Jones

Hooker
Richard Hibbard
Ken Owens
Emyr Phillips

Locks
Alyn Wyn Jones
Jake Ball
Ian Evans
Luke Carteris
Bradly Davies

Flankers
Justin Tipuric
Dan Lydiate
Aaron Shingler
Ryan Jones
Ellis Jenkins

Number 8
Talaupe Falateu
Dan Baker

Scrum Half
Rhys Webb
Gareth Davies
Rhodri Williams

Fly Half
Dan Biggar
Rhys Priestland
Rhys Patchell

Centers
Jamie Roberts
John Davies
Cory Allen
Ashley Beck

Wingers
Alex Cuthbert
George North
Eli Walker (if fit)
Jordan Williams

Full Back
Liam Williams
James Hook
Lee Byrne

Rhys Gill over Jenkins
Lewis Evans over Ellis Jenkins or Shingler
Iuean Jones and/or Morgan Allen instead of Faletau (give him a rest)
Tovey over Patchell
Sc Williams over Beck

I would also like to see Jack Dixon given a shot.

I think Rhodri Jones should be considered as a Loose Head, good rugby player but cant scrumage at tighthead. Ellis Jenkins, Iuean Jones, Morgan Allen and Dan Baker cant get game time for their regions, so are they anywhere near good enough to face SA?

This season has shown Wales are really short of centres, if Scot Williams is not fit then Allen and Beck could go but one hasn't played and the other is just not good enough.

Wales really need an up and coming 10, Biggar proved what we already know on Saturday, he looks good against poor opposition but so does Priestand. Patchell's development seemed to have stalled before he got injured, Owen Williams is kicking on at Leicester, Tovey looks a good player again at the Dragons, but if he couldn't get a game at the Blues so is he test class? Morgan is not rated by the Ospreys but Davies Jr looks a good prospect but 2 to 3 seasons away from challenging for Wales.

My choices from outside this years 6N sides:

Samson Lee, Rob Evans Gareth Davies, Jordan Williams (Scarlets)
Jarvis, Walker (if fit, if not Dirksen), King (Ospreys)
Fish, Allen, Patchell, (Blues)
Amos, Coombes, Lewis Evans (Dragons)
Williams (Leicester)

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 18 Mar 2014 - 0:35

The Saint wrote:Halfpenny is out and recent news (unknown to me) is stating that Warburton will now also miss out due to a dislocated shoulder. It doesn't look good for us going to SA without these two and with our recent away form being so bad. Personally I think it would be a good idea if we had a midweek game before the first test against a SA Provincial team, using the majority of our first team.

Who would you like to see on the plane?

You won't get a decent tune up game. For England they organised 2 invitational team in 2012 and those players who were selected were from the Currie Cup 1st division (i.e. 3rd tier of SA rugby). They selected a full 2nd XV and remember this was when England were fielding 10+ new players in their 1st XV so their team was very inexperienced.... mainly saxons and below.

You'd get better intensity with a closed door full contact match between the squad.

Can't see SA in any danger of losing either match though. Warburton and Halfpenny are too important. If they could field a fully fit 1st XV to beat the boks in SA would be unlikely even then... but possible. Without those 2 key players, impossible.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Tue 18 Mar 2014 - 0:40

my starting xv for first test

James
Owens
Lee
Ball
Evans
Lydiate
Tipuric
Jones (c)

R Williams
O Williams
North
Sc Williams
Davies
Cuthbert
Li Williams

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Tue 18 Mar 2014 - 0:41

just read Wales be playing eastern province kings for warm up game

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 18 Mar 2014 - 0:45

That should be a good game, with the Kings being relegated out of the Super XV they will see this as a game where they can prove themselves.

They have though lost a good number of players to other franchises which hurt them, but it could be a rather entertaining match.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 18 Mar 2014 - 1:47

lost a lot of players... too many. Won't be much of a test but may be enough to sharpend the Welsh players.... would be like taking the little train up to Snowden in preparation to taking on Everest.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 18 Mar 2014 - 2:20

It should be a training run then, but hopefully for our best team with just 2-3 changes for the team to face the Boks. Otherwise I don't see the point.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next