The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Georgia and Romania on course for RWC2015

3 posters

Go down

Georgia and Romania on course for RWC2015 Empty Georgia and Romania on course for RWC2015

Post by Notch Sun 16 Mar 2014, 2:38 pm

The two sides contested the final game of the FIRA-AER European Nations Cup Division 1A yesterday knowing that they were both qualified for the Rugby World Cup, but Georgias 22-9 victory in Tblisi means they will qualify as 'Europe 1' and go into Pool C with New Zealand, Tonga, Argentina and an African qualifier. Runners-up Romania are heading to Pool D where they'll be pitted against Ireland, Italy, France and Canada. Georgia will be delighted to have retained their European Nations Cup title and booking a date with the All Blacks in the Millennium Stadium is just the cherry on top.

Russia beat Portugal 34-18 in Sochi to book a place in the playoffs- they now have to go through the repechage to have a shot at making it to England in 2015.

Here's hoping that the people that matter see fit to get some test matches organised between Georgia/Romania and Scotland/Italy in the next Autumn International window. How else will we know what these sides are capable of, and how else can they prepare for the World Cup?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Georgia and Romania on course for RWC2015 Empty Re: Georgia and Romania on course for RWC2015

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 16 Mar 2014, 2:59 pm

Id love to see a bowl/plate type competition like in the sevens in the RWC to give the tier 2 nations something to play for.

It could be great for the developement of the nations as it would give them a chance for silverware on a world stage and I would have no doubt it wouldn't struggle to get interest.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Georgia and Romania on course for RWC2015 Empty Re: Georgia and Romania on course for RWC2015

Post by SecretFly Sun 16 Mar 2014, 3:43 pm

Why Scotland and Italy though?

Georgia will need stiffer competition if they're to be ready to face NZ in WC form.  Ireland played them last year using an Emerging Ireland panel.

This time perhaps England or France should give them a game using maybe their A sides?

Romania might be given a shot at an Ireland A side?  At least they might meet one or two players that they could face in 2015.

If we want to give them a better chance to be ready for what hits them in 2015, then the higher sides of the 6N group should give them a game.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 16 Mar 2014, 4:03 pm

That was a Georgian development team too not the first team. A first choice Georgian pack would have destroyed that emerging Ireland team.

Lucky for them we are playing them this autumn though, although that could mean one of the PIs not getting a game against a top tier nation.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 16 Mar 2014, 4:09 pm

All the 6N sides should play Tier 2 European nations at least occasionally but I highlight Scotland and Italy as thats the standard they need to be at to realistically start a conversation about an expanded 6N. They need to be beating those teams regularly enough.

Your absolutely right, Ireland do have a weekend set aside in November to play a Tier 2 nation- probably Georgia! The Six Nations champions versus the European Nations Cup champions, will be a great indicator of where Georgia are as a team right now. They'll be incredibly motivated to make a statement.

Quite pleased about that. As LF4L alludes to, if we make it so the top three FIRA-AER sides play against 6N opposition each year it may mean Samoa etc. miss out on games. But they too can play the FIRA-AER sides and really SANZAR need to take responsibility for playing them occasionally as well.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 16 Mar 2014, 4:44 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:That was a Georgian development team too not the first team. A first choice Georgian pack would have destroyed that emerging Ireland team.

Lucky for them we are playing them this autumn though, although that could mean one of the PIs not getting a game against a top tier nation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I could very well be, but I seem to think I remember a lot of guys with a lot of caps on the Georgian team?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 16 Mar 2014, 5:06 pm

FB 15 Beka Tsiklauri
RW 14 Irakli Machkhaneli (c)
OC 13 David Kacharava
IC 12 Merab Sharikadze 76'
LW 11 Tamaz Mtchedlidze
FH 10 Lasha Malaguradze
SH 9 Giorgi Begadze
N8 8 George Chkhaidze
OF 7 Viktor Kolelishvili
BF 6 Shalva Sutiashvili
RL 5 Kote Mikautadze 78'
LL 4 Vakhtang Maisuradze 68'
TP 3 Levan Chilachava 60'
HK 2 Revaz Belkania 68'
LP 1 Irakli Mirtskhulava

That was their team that played emerging Ireland. I don't know anything about their backs but they are certainly down to a fourth/fifth choice pack.

Their number 3 and 7 are the only players who play in the Top 14 but they are young players with only a handful of appearances each in the Top 14.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down