The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+25
lorus59
BlueCoverman
puligny
Plunky
Diggers
mystiroakey
super_realist
MontysMerkin
navyblueshorts
Roller_Coaster
pedro
McLaren
incontinentia
westisbest
Davie
beninho
kwinigolfer
GunsGerms
Bob_the_Job
1GrumpyGolfer
raycastleunited
SmithersJones
golfermartin
JAS
barragan
29 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 20 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Tue 25 Feb 2014, 3:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

Rugby players are too fat to catch us Davie.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 20 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Apr 2014, 3:26 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Why am I so strident against religion? If people make claims and try and force their views on society and politics, when there is no reason for them to hold those views, damned right I'm going to be furious about it.

Does your government not force their views on you to a certain extent? Do you hate politicians too?

They aren't trying to do it on the basis of no reason or no evidence like religion does, so whether or not I disagree is a matter of my political view.

My entire issue with religion is that it has no basis in facts, proof or evidence, and as such should have ZERO influence on anything.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 20 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by GunsGerms Thu 24 Apr 2014, 3:29 pm

super_realist wrote:]

Nobody is forcing a priest or church to hold a gay wedding. Just like the R&A can not admit Women members, a "club" can exclude who it likes.
THe issue is whether religion can try and influence law, and obviously it shouldn't.

I kinda agree on right of exclusion of women in clubs. There are plenty of women only clubs in Ireland and the UK too and they never inspire any debate. Sometimes I think feminism has gone too far.

Was listening to a woman talk about feminism on the radio recently and she joked how she had to house train her husband. Just a joke of course and I couldnt care less I just feel the womens lib orgs would have a field day if any man made a similar quip about their wife in the media.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 24 Apr 2014, 3:30 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
skyeman wrote:

100% ghastly, when others have NO evidence to their views. Incomprehensible to me.

Gents with respect you seem to have convinced yourselves that it is much more a factor than it really is. Religion is just a set of beliefs or morals. Some of these beliefs may have shaped the collective Irish psyche but no laws can be passed without logical debate and due legal process which has no religious basis.

But for the last two millenia, how many have died in the name of religion. BILLIONS.

All throughout time they have been fanatical, just that now the muslim religion is at the forefront.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 24 Apr 2014, 3:33 pm

skyeman wrote:
westisbest wrote:
super_realist wrote:Bit like how it was mostly religious against gay marriage the other week.

Why do they think their opinions matter and should shape policy based on a fairytale fictional book? Mind your own bloody business. If you don't like gay marriage, here's an idea. Don't marry a gay person.

Think you should do the same mate.

Calm down dude.

Why does it bother you so much if you hate it, dont care about it.

I dont care for religion much, but I dont bang on about it all the time.

C'mon super duper, whats the real issue.

You can share it with us, we wont tell:)

Laugh 

You sound like my psychologist Laugh 

He/she talk sense aswell then:)

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 24 Apr 2014, 3:33 pm

Did you know that in terms of the overall population of the world wars have never had a significant effect on world population figures.

Im certain in any case that it is human nature to find something to argue about anyway religion or not.

Arent we all doomed to sin. Remember what happened in the garden of Eden lads?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Apr 2014, 3:39 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Did you know that in terms of the overall population of the world wars have never had a significant effect on world population figures.

Im certain in any case that it is human nature to find something to argue about anyway religion or not.

Yeah, "God" created a situation where incest was the only option. What a genius.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 24 Apr 2014, 3:48 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Did you know that in terms of the overall population of the world wars have never had a significant effect on world population figures.

Obviously for me the garden of eden never existed.

But i do agree, even without religion, mankind would have still behaved like the apes in 2001 (space odyssey) and try to destroy themselves. As you say "human nature"

But did we need a manmade story to give people hope to quicken it up?

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Apr 2014, 3:49 pm

Without it though, how much more technically advanced would we be. It has retarded progress in many fields.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Thu 24 Apr 2014, 3:50 pm

Poopie. I have to paint the weather beaten outside walls.

So long guys.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 24 Apr 2014, 4:24 pm

super_realist wrote:Without it though, how much more technically advanced would we be. It has retarded progress in many fields.

In many ways the more technologically advanced the world becomes the more difficult life becomes. If the goal of technology was to make life easier it has been a massive failure.

Also if as has been claimed religion is the cause of all war it can also be said that war has had more positive influence on technology that anything else.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Apr 2014, 4:35 pm

Yet, the more technological we become the fewer people are killed in war.

We have become more economical in times of war.

As for life being easier. Technology has certainly made life easier. I have central heating, cooking facilities indoors, wireless communication, secure, draught proof windows.

Life may have become more complicated, but you can't argue that the standard of living in the developed world has increased for most.

How many people do you know that don't have a car compared to 50 years ago?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Thu 24 Apr 2014, 4:45 pm

To be honest I'm just arguing with you for the sake of it now. I love my life but it seems to get more and more complicated all the time.

I think there is a lot to be said for keeping things simple. On the subject of golf I suspect that may even be the difference between the Rory McIlroy who was winning majors and the one now.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Apr 2014, 4:47 pm

Could be guns. Certain things are best kept simple.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 24 Apr 2014, 11:21 pm

There is no rational jusification for being anti gay marriage. Opposition is purely religious or morally founded. Marriage is a civil act which doesn't neccessarily have something to do with religion/the church.

Denying a same sex civil marriage is clearly discriminating and should be shoe-in for a human rights court cases (maybe there has been several?) as you clearly deny gay people equal rights.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 25 Apr 2014, 12:02 pm

Or marriage for (quite) some time was/is seen as a man/woman thing only and which is therefore normal. Anything other by it's very definition is thus abnormal.

Give it a few hundred years, like most things and the future generations won't see what the fuss was about because it would then seem like a normal thing to happen.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 25 Apr 2014, 12:08 pm

The vast majority of people I know..in fact everyone I know... all accept gay marriage as being normal, including my mum and dad who are in their 70's. My daughter goes to a faith school (because its at the end of my road and is a good school) and I don't know any parents of kids there, actually religious parents as opposed to me, who have an issue with it.
Then again, I don't really know any UKIP supporters, a scenario that is not likely to change any time soon.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 25 Apr 2014, 12:25 pm

Diggers wrote:The vast majority of people I know..in fact everyone I know... all accept gay marriage as being normal, including my mum and dad who are in their 70's. My daughter goes to a faith school (because its at the end of my road and is a good school) and I don't know any parents of kids there, actually religious parents as opposed to me, who have an issue with it.
Then again, I don't really know any UKIP supporters, a scenario that is not likely to change any time soon.

I won't be voting UKIP, but to put that in the same bracket as to gay marriage speaks volumes for your political stance.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 25 Apr 2014, 12:58 pm

Not sure what you mean?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 25 Apr 2014, 1:11 pm

skyeman wrote:
Diggers wrote:The vast majority of people I know..in fact everyone I know... all accept gay marriage as being normal, including my mum and dad who are in their 70's. My daughter goes to a faith school (because its at the end of my road and is a good school) and I don't know any parents of kids there, actually religious parents as opposed to me, who have an issue with it.

I won't be voting UKIP, but to put that in the same bracket as to gay marriage speaks volumes for your political stance.

Sorry if i read it wrong, but bringing UKIP into it, it looked like you were comparing their supporters to anti-gay marriage.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 25 Apr 2014, 1:16 pm

I mentioned them because they are anti gay marriage. Amongst many other moronic, half baked policies. Actually policy is stretching it a bit, vagueish idea is a probably a better wording.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by skyeman Fri 25 Apr 2014, 1:22 pm

So i was right then Laugh 

You make the mistake of tarring all supporters of a particcular party with the same brush whether they agree with some polices or not.

Your way or the by-way.

Glad this is a democratic country.

skyeman

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 25 Apr 2014, 1:27 pm

I'm glad its democratic country, I wouldn't change that in a million years.
The fact remains that UKIP has an anti gay marriage stance, it and being anti Europe, anti immigration are probably their three main soundbites...along with repealing the smoking ban. It stands to reason most of their support share these views does it not?
This is my honest view though, anyone who thinks voting UKIP is a good idea is an idiot. Simple as that.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 25 Apr 2014, 1:29 pm

skyeman wrote:So i was right then Laugh 

You make the mistake of tarring all supporters of a particcular party with the same brush whether they agree with some polices or not.

Your way or the by-way.

Glad this is a democratic country.

Or tarring anyone who considers themselves to be religious as being a quack?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 25 Apr 2014, 1:30 pm

Id tar anyone who thinks abortion is a bad idea a quack.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 25 Apr 2014, 1:37 pm

Diggers wrote:Id tar anyone who thinks abortion is a bad idea a quack.
Why? It's not an extreme opinion to think that the ending of an unborn life is wrong, is it?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 25 Apr 2014, 1:37 pm

Sounds like you are quite intolerant of other views. Maybe you should open your mind a little and accept that not everyone thinks the same way as you nor should they?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 25 Apr 2014, 1:44 pm

Democracy? Ha! Nice one, and so the parties we can actually vote for live up to their 'manifestos'? Hardly. All governments since Thatcher have represented big business against your everyman. There is no choice, we have a democracy in name only. Biggest con since Mr Ponzi asked to borrow a few quid for a great idea he just had!
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 25 Apr 2014, 2:38 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

Sounds like you are quite intolerant of other views. Maybe you should open your mind a little and accept that not everyone thinks the same way as you nor should they?

Where have I said that they are not entitled to a view? Odd comment.
Tolerance though, for me that isn't making a girl have a baby that's unwanted. Clearly you can see the pro's in that scenario though.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 25 Apr 2014, 2:40 pm

Something recently came up.

A girl supposedly who was pregnant aborted because she was picked for big brother. Therefore her choice was.big brother or a baby.

Abortion for me should be a right and a legal choice.
But That can't stop us judging certain people that have made the choice for certain reasons.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 25 Apr 2014, 2:43 pm

The baby is better off out of it in that case!
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 25 Apr 2014, 2:45 pm

I could understand it if it was for a place in The great British Bake Off...but Big Brother, really..

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 25 Apr 2014, 2:53 pm

Or Splash. Diving in this country is really under represented and we should all be encouraging the young to leap head first of high ledges. However might be better if they empty the pool first.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 25 Apr 2014, 3:05 pm

Diggers wrote:Tolerance though, for me that isn't making a girl have a baby that's unwanted.
There's many ways to avoid getting pregnant if you don't want a baby.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 25 Apr 2014, 3:16 pm

incontinentia wrote:
Diggers wrote:Tolerance though, for me that isn't making a girl have a baby that's unwanted.
There's many ways to avoid getting pregnant if you don't want a baby.  

Obviously. But if for whatever reason that doesn't work then you force a girl to have a baby she doesn't want and probably can't afford. Result, unhappy people. Where's the logic in that?
I'm sure the vast majority of abortions take place very early. Personally my wife has miscarriaged early in a pregnancy, it was a shame but it wasn't the end of the world. There is no comparison to how I would feel if I lost one of my children, not even remotely. Clearly there should be a sensible cut off point, as I've said before 24 weeks seems good to me.
Its really the classic argument from an intolerant person. They say,, "look I would not tolerate this girl having an abortion, I'll force her to have a child, I'll impose my morals over her freedom of choice."
Then...when people say they don't agree...they accuse them off being intolerant to others views. It would be funny if it wasn't quite so pathetic.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 25 Apr 2014, 3:24 pm

Diggers wrote:I'm glad its democratic country, I wouldn't change that in a million years.
The fact remains that UKIP has an anti gay marriage stance, it and being anti Europe, anti immigration are probably their three main soundbites...along with repealing the smoking ban. It stands to reason most of their support share these views does it not?
This is my honest view though, anyone who thinks voting UKIP is a good idea is an idiot. Simple as that.

What if it's purely a protest vote?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Fri 25 Apr 2014, 3:26 pm

The female in question, as I understand it, got pregnant whilst working as a prostitute (having first come to public notice by being given a breast enlargement on the NHS). She knows who the father is. He is reasonably well off and has said he would provide financially for the child. Then the Big Brother offer came up and she decided that she might have an abortion so she could do the show. I blame the producers of Big Brother as much as the female!

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 25 Apr 2014, 3:27 pm

Its still idiocy as it adds credibility to UKIP. Better off abstaining.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 25 Apr 2014, 3:30 pm

As you wish, dear fellow.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 25 Apr 2014, 3:36 pm

To be straight about UKIP. I admire the fact that a bunch of people have got involved in the democratic process, that they have got together to form a (semi) coherent body that represents the views of a fair amount of people in the UK. I would never dream of preventing that, in many ways its fantastic and does show that the democratic process is alive and well.
It doesn't however change my views on either the party itself or indeed the people who vote for them.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 25 Apr 2014, 3:38 pm

Especially as they've become Britain's 3rd political party, overtaking Cleggy and the Liberals, and are on course to win the European elections.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 25 Apr 2014, 3:42 pm

Instead of a protest vote, then its better to spoil your ballot.

Ukip are dangerous because some people actually believe what they say, and they target the middle classes in areas of law multi culturalism - ( if thats a word). And as gets shown every now and then, the Councillors they put up have been shown as a bit racist. But its easy for them to make grand statements, because realistically they will not get voted in and have to back up the statements they have made.

-------

https://www.606v2.com/viewtopic.forum?t=53522

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20