The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Probables v Possibles

+2
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Notch
6 posters

Go down

Probables v Possibles Empty Probables v Possibles

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 20 Mar - 17:18

Apologies if this has been done but cant see it anywhere.  Gatland has anoounced that due to the fact no Region will be involved in the latter stages of Europe and possibly the Rabo play offs he is toying with the idea of a Probables v Possibles game before the tour to SA.

I do like the sound of this and its def a throw back to the old days where these games were common but could we put two teams of 23 out.

The English/French based players won't be available and neither will Warburton or Halfpenny.  Lets for argument sake say that the Regions agreed to this lets see what sides we could put out, I have included players I am not sure about injury wise and suspension, also I have assumed that those involved in 6 Nations matchday squads are the probables.

So here goes:

Probables:

Jenkins
Hibbard
A Jones
AWJ
Ball
R Jones
Faletau
Tipuric

Webb
Biggar

Walker (is he fit)
JD
Sc Williams (is he fit)
Cuthbert

Li Williams

Rh Jones, S Lee, Owens, Evans (when is he free to play), Coombs, Rh Williams, Priestland, Amos

Possibles

Bevington
Phillips
Andrews
B Davies
King
L Evans
D Baker
Navidi
Rees
Tovey

K Phillips
C Allen
Beck
Prydie

D Evans

Rh Williams, Patchell J Williams

I know the sides would (I expect) be mixed up but I am struggling with forwards for the Possibles I guess there are the likes of Parry and Myhill at hooker Peers, Screech, I Jones, M Allen and Shingler to fill the 2nd/backrow slots but what about props?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Probables v Possibles Empty Re: Probables v Possibles

Post by Notch Thu 20 Mar - 17:56

It's a good idea. If the Ospreys and the Scarlets both miss out on the Top Four then you'll be going into that tour seriously short on game time because it's an early finish to the Pro12 for the regions

I think the Ospreys will get into the Top Four but it's gonna be a pretty close run-in.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 20 Mar - 17:58

Notch,

ANy chance you can merge the two threads please.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri 21 Mar - 20:05

It will not go ahead, nice money spinner though!
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Mar - 1:07

Scrumpy wrote:It will not go ahead, nice money spinner though!

Based on?

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 22 Mar - 9:48

Amongst the problems in making this happen would be lack of availability of french based players,possible lack of availability of the millennium at short notice, funding it (not entirely convinced it would be a big money spinner), clubs being willing to release players if its outside the summer window even if they arent in competition, and the need for some players to rest rather than play what could be a very intense game.

Biggest perhaps though ...can they guarantee there being 8 fit Welsh props of sufficient quality available (given non Wales based ones may not be)

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Sat 22 Mar - 10:19

Risca Rev wrote:
Scrumpy wrote:It will not go ahead, nice money spinner though!

Based on?

The fact that it would be foolish to play such a game at the end of a season and before a summer tour! thumbsup 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Mar - 12:04

It will probably happen. The players will be going too long without a game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat 22 Mar - 16:46

Risca Rev wrote:It will probably happen. The players will be going too long without a game.

It will happen end of may, will cost an injury or two in all likelihood but with the likes of Williams and Davies making a statement at their clubs it is the perfect opportunity to make a case for inclusion; we lack depth at 2, 7 and 15 so there are places on offer.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 22 Mar - 21:14

I think it will happen just to give the players some gametime ahead of the tour but will the WRU have to pay the Regions for their release?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 23 Mar - 12:47

I really like the idea of this game, but I can't really think of 2 match day squads. Assuming that there is going to be a big chunk of players who are guaranteed to go? Such as Lydiate, Tipuric, AWJ, Faletau, Charteris, Roberts, JD2, L Williams, Hook, Phillips, North, Cuthbert, A Jones, P James, Jenkins, Owens

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Mon 24 Mar - 12:32

Although excting in theory for the fans I think the reality would be a let down. No way would it be test match intensity, everyone would know the other teams set piece moves etc and every single player in squad has a chance of getting injured. Personally i'd take the whole squad off to Poland again which seems to make the players fitter than anything, play a game or maybe two against Japan, barbarians, Canada, USA, fiji etc.. use that to give your 1st XV some match fitness and your bolters/possibles 40 minutes off the bench. then off you go. !

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 24 Mar - 15:07

Probables v Possibles is certainly a throw-back to the old days which I remember well. In a recent interview on the subject, Graham Price - of the Pontypool Front Row, Viet Gwent to some - reminded us about the "tactical injuries" that would lead to some players ruling themselves out of Probable v Possibles games.

The more certain a player was of being in the national team, the less he'd want to risk genuine injury in a trial match. Will we see this happening again?

Last edited by optimist on Mon 24 Mar - 15:09; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Mon 24 Mar - 15:08

So you're saying a few players would cry off.

There really is no need for this game to go ahead.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down