The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Piri Weepu suffers a minor stroke!

+10
Dontheman
fa0019
Nematode
SecretFly
TJ
rainbow-warrior
majesticimperialman
Pal Joey
kiakahaaotearoa
GunsGerms
14 posters

Go down

Piri Weepu suffers a minor stroke! Empty Piri Weepu suffers a minor stroke!

Post by GunsGerms Thu 27 Mar 2014, 1:14 pm

Nightmare. Hope he gets better soon.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Piri Weepu suffers a minor stroke! Empty Re: Piri Weepu suffers a minor stroke!

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 27 Mar 2014, 1:17 pm

Yeah not good. Been given 4 months away from the game so hope he has no relapses: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/9874208/Piri-Weepu-out-for-four-weeks-after-stroke

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu 27 Mar 2014, 2:05 pm

Very sad to hear this has occurred.
I hope Piri has a good rest and recovery and the docs assist him in every possible way.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 27 Mar 2014, 7:09 pm

This is one thing i never thought would happen. A Fully fit Rugby player having a minor stroke.

I do hope he recovers too full health.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Piri Weepu suffers a minor stroke! Empty Weepu has hole in heart

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 28 Mar 2014, 4:03 am

FROM NZTV NEWS

Published: 4:24PM Friday March 28, 2014 Source: ONE Sport

The Blues have confirmed halfback Piri Weepu has a hole in his heart which contributed to him suffering a minor stroke.

Tests were carried out earlier today.

Until the 30-year old meets with his cardiologist next week, it's unknown how long he will be out of rugby.

Surgery is the likely pathway and expected to be confirmed by the cardiologist.

Weepu had a scan on Monday after complaining of migraine-like symptoms earlier this month.

The stroke appeared to have occurred before the team travelled to South Africa in early March.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 28 Mar 2014, 5:08 am

Possibly the end of Piri's career? Common sense would dictate that it would be the wise decision. Piri has a fantastic whanau and I have had the pleasure of meeting him and having a beer on a few occasions when in the capital. He is a huge family man and adores his tamariki and I think their love will out weigh his desire to play rugby and risk it.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 28 Mar 2014, 9:30 am

This is a reasonably common cause of strokes. The hole in the heart can be repaired and is not going to cause any further problems. Recovery from a minor stoke is possible. He could play again. Problem could be he might need to take blood thining drugs and it will be a year or so until he could play again.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 28 Mar 2014, 9:40 am

TJ wrote:This is a reasonably common cause of strokes.  The hole in the heart can be repaired and is not going to cause any further problems.  Recovery from a minor stoke is possible. He could play again.  Problem could be he might need to take blood thining drugs and it will be a year or so until he could play again.

I am aware I am kind of in the field of work:) Fact it would you take the risk?
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 28 Mar 2014, 9:41 am

Richardt Strauss (Leinster/Ireland International) was out for a while with a similar diagnosis (hole in the heart). He's back in and got Man of the Match award in his last Leinster game a short while ago.

So coming back is doable...but the 'minor stroke' is a complication that might push the dangers for Weepu over the line.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 28 Mar 2014, 9:43 am

Depends on a number of factors but apart from the blood thinning drugs I can see no real risk. the hole in the heart will have allowed a clot to form and go into his brain. when that is repaired he has no higher chance of having another stroke than anyone else I would have thought

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 28 Mar 2014, 9:51 am

The drug you talk about is Warferin, I imagine at present he would have had a few subcutaneous injections of Heparin to start the thinning. When on warferin it will be continuous blood tests to ensure that he is not toxic. It also means that if he does take a real clout on the field it will take a lot of effort to stop the bleeding as his body will not allow the clotting to take place. So you see TJ it will not be all plain sailing mate.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Fri 28 Mar 2014, 9:57 am

Really sad news to hear - hope he has a full and speedy recovery.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:04 am

Get well soon Piri Weepu. Speedy recovery.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 28 Mar 2014, 10:48 am

Best haka leader since Spencer. Hoepfully he'll be back soon anyhow. SH can last quite a bit longer in the game then most.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Fri 28 Mar 2014, 11:08 am

fa0019 wrote:Best haka leader since Spencer. Hoepfully he'll be back soon anyhow. SH can last quite a bit longer in the game then most.

Why? What evidence do you have to support this?
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 28 Mar 2014, 11:09 am

Piri will always stand out for me for his fantastic contribution in the semi final in 2011. He has achieved the pinnacle in the sport so he can assess his health situation after his lay off. Whatever he decides, NZ will be behind him.  thumbsup 

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Mar 2014, 11:26 am

majesticimperialman wrote:This is one thing i never thought would happen. A Fully fit Rugby player having a minor stroke.

It has happened to a couple of Welsh players, I believe. Pretty sure that's what happened to Rhys Thomas and Lloyd Burns.

All the energy supplements etc can't really be too good for some of them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman Fri 28 Mar 2014, 12:10 pm

Top man. Played a strong role in the RWC 2011 after Carter was injured and before Cruden came in. Get well soon

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri 28 Mar 2014, 12:17 pm

Rainbow.  I agree its not plain sailing but I work in acute stoke and its certainly not necessarily the end of his career.  The cause of the stroke is the hole in the heart - that can be fixed.  The critical issue is what damage is done to his brain. A stroke in a young fit man because of a hole in the heart is a different issue to one cause by blood vessel disease or hypertension or aneurysm.
It could be the end of his career but it might not be. Be a long rehab tho

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 28 Mar 2014, 12:32 pm

Have to admire the way he turned his career around after 2007.... a lot of party boys should take note.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Fri 28 Mar 2014, 2:42 pm

I remember seeing posters all around with this:

Piri Weepu suffers a minor stroke! BlackOrBust

at RWC 2011.

If he does have to retire he can look back on a strong, world cup winning career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Xy9tXMIc0

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 28 Mar 2014, 4:46 pm

Forgot that ankle tap in the final Nematode. As crucial as Donald's kick in the context of the game. thumbsup 

Ted should've realised he'd injured himself and given the kicking duties to someone else. Luckily we had our secret strike weapon in Beaver.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 28 Mar 2014, 5:19 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Forgot that ankle tap in the final Nematode. As crucial as Donald's kick in the context of the game. thumbsup 

Ted should've realised he'd injured himself and given the kicking duties to someone else. Luckily we had our secret strike weapon in Beaver.

I thought your secret weapon was Marc Lievremont?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 28 Mar 2014, 9:55 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:This is one thing i never thought would happen. A Fully fit Rugby player having a minor stroke.

It has happened to a couple of Welsh players, I believe. Pretty sure that's what happened to Rhys Thomas and Lloyd Burns.

All the energy supplements etc can't really be too good for some of them.

Yeah that's right. The, ummmm, 'supplements'...

Hope Piri gets better and makes it back on to the rugby field (should he choose to).

What are the symptoms for this sort of thing? I guess it could happen to anyone... And it's also scary thinking about how many local people I know have dropped dead on the football or rugby pitch (and one was a boxer in the sauna at the time) from a heart attack.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 28 Mar 2014, 11:57 pm

Poor bloke, hope he can make a full recovery
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 29 Mar 2014, 12:10 am

Saint, the symptoms of a stroke are very variable but generally can include a prodrome including visual changes or a funny feeling of altered consciousness or fear, or often palpitations or a sharp head pain depending on the type of stroke, followed by pins and needles in the face, arms or legs, weakness in the same (usually all on one side of the body), loss of consciousness, collapse, altered speech, loss of vision in one eye or mixed between the two eyes, loss of ability to recognise or produce language, and almost any change in sensation or thought. There are 2 main types of stroke though, that associated with heart disease and cholesterol etc (ischaemic) and another where a variety of different bleeds into the brain occurs (more common in younger people like Weepu). 

More common in younger people doing sport is sudden cardiac death due to an undiagnosed gemetic heart problem and that is really hard to prevent unless we screen everyone which we can't below the top professional level. Hard to see what to do
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 29 Mar 2014, 1:24 am

Supplements was being kind Saint Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 29 Mar 2014, 2:54 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:Saint, the symptoms of a stroke are very variable but generally can include a prodrome including visual changes or a funny feeling of altered consciousness or fear, or often palpitations or a sharp head pain depending on the type of stroke, followed by pins and needles in the face, arms or legs, weakness in the same (usually all on one side of the body), loss of consciousness, collapse, altered speech, loss of vision in one eye or mixed between the two eyes, loss of ability to recognise or produce language, and almost any change in sensation or thought. There are 2 main types of stroke though, that associated with heart disease and cholesterol etc (ischaemic) and another where a variety of different bleeds into the brain occurs (more common in younger people like Weepu). 

More common in younger people doing sport is sudden cardiac death due to an undiagnosed gemetic heart problem and that is really hard to prevent unless we screen everyone which we can't below the top professional level. Hard to see what to do

Should have given your source ....nice google mind:)
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 29 Mar 2014, 7:36 am

In Weepus case it seems to be that the hole in the heart he had ( which eveyone has while still in the womb with but usually closes up) allowed a clot to form in the hole and then this clot can enter the arterial system and lodge in the brain.

This is an ischeamic stroke but NOT associated with blood vessel disease. Once the hole in the heart is closed up he will be no more at risk of future events than anyone else

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 29 Mar 2014, 7:59 am

picard 
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 29 Mar 2014, 8:11 am

That aimed at me Rainbow? If so why?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 29 Mar 2014, 10:38 am

rainbow-warrior wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:Saint, the symptoms of a stroke are very variable but generally can include a prodrome including visual changes or a funny feeling of altered consciousness or fear, or often palpitations or a sharp head pain depending on the type of stroke, followed by pins and needles in the face, arms or legs, weakness in the same (usually all on one side of the body), loss of consciousness, collapse, altered speech, loss of vision in one eye or mixed between the two eyes, loss of ability to recognise or produce language, and almost any change in sensation or thought. There are 2 main types of stroke though, that associated with heart disease and cholesterol etc (ischaemic) and another where a variety of different bleeds into the brain occurs (more common in younger people like Weepu). 

My source is 6 years of medical school with several distinctions and a 2.1 in neuroscience but thanks for the insulting assumption!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman Sat 29 Mar 2014, 1:12 pm

RW as a fellow Welshman I think you are getting a tad personal. We have had some interesting medical opinions from yourself and others so let's make nice please and think of PW

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 29 Mar 2014, 6:53 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
rainbow-warrior wrote:

My source is 6 years of medical school with several distinctions and a 2.1 in neuroscience but thanks for the insulting assumption!

Love it, reminds me of the old gag:

Q. Have you ever been to India?

A. No.

Reply. Well get that ind yu.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Sat 29 Mar 2014, 10:45 pm

Dear me, hope he is ok, scary for him and his family.

DeludedOptimistorjustDave

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 30 Mar 2014, 2:10 am

He was at the Blues game last night.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down