The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Englands Summer Tour of NZ - The rugby

+65
Dubbelyew L Overate
Welly
DaveM
Scrumpy
Hood83
fa0019
Eustace H Plimsoll
Cowshot
wrfc1980
flankertye
thomh
Scratch
bluestonevedder
Mad for Chelsea
robbo277
mystiroakey
Notch
Beaker
cb
doctor_grey
Sgt_Pooly
Hound of Harrow
nganboy
Cumbrian
Margin_Walker
Duty281
lostinwales
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Cyril
ChequeredJersey
Barney McGrew did it
Ozzy3213
jelly
majesticimperialman
propdavid_london
kingelderfield
kiakahaaotearoa
yappysnap
Taylorman
nathan
LondonTiger
quinsforever
Rugby Fan
Exiledinborders
hugehandoff
WELL-PAST-IT
BamBam
Jimpy
GloriousEmpire
king_carlos
chewed_mintie
Chjw131
niwatts
B91212
killer938
little_badger
beshocked
HammerofThunor
BigTrevsbigmac
geoff998rugby
sickofwendy
Poorfour
No 7&1/2
blackcanelion
Geordie
69 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Englands Summer Tour of NZ - The rugby - Page 10 Empty Englands Summer Tour of NZ - The rugby

Post by Geordie Mon 14 Apr 2014, 9:00 am

First topic message reminder :

NZ tour squad

England squad flying on May 27 (30)
Props
Joe Marler (Harlequins), Matt Mullan (London Wasps), Kieran Brookes (Newcastle Falcons), Henry Thomas (Sale Sharks), David Wilson (Bath Rugby)

Hookers
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs), Joe Gray (Harlequins), Dave Ward (Harlequins), Rob Webber (Bath Rugby)

Locks
Dave Attwood (Bath Rugby), Joe Launchbury (London Wasps), Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers), Ed Slater (Leicester Tigers)

Back rows
James Haskell (London Wasps), Tom Johnson (Exeter Chiefs), Matt Kvesic (Gloucester Rugby), Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)

Scrum halves
Danny Care (Harlequins), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Fly halves
Freddie Burns (Gloucester Rugby), Danny Cipriani (Sale Sharks)

Centres
Kyle Eastmond (Bath Rugby), Manusamoa Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), Henry Trinder (Gloucester Rugby), Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester Rugby)

Wings
Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby), Marland Yarde (London Irish)

Full backs
Mike Brown (Harlequins), Chris Pennell (Worcester Warriors)

Prem Final - 31st May (Sarries v Saints)

England v Baa Baas - 1st June

New Zealand v England (First Test)- 7th June
New Zealand v England (Second Test) - 14th June
Crusaders v England - 17th June
New Zealand v England (Third Test) - 21st June.

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Mon 26 May 2014, 7:25 pm; edited 4 times in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Englands Summer Tour of NZ - The rugby - Page 10 Empty Re: Englands Summer Tour of NZ - The rugby

Post by LondonTiger Sun 11 May 2014, 8:43 am

Rugby Fan wrote:
As a matter of interest, other than Flood, who is off to France, and Tindall, can anyone tell me which English backs wear the captain's armband for their teams, if only occasionally?

Twelvetrees, Wilkinson, Chris Bell

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Englands Summer Tour of NZ - The rugby - Page 10 Empty Re: Englands Summer Tour of NZ - The rugby

Post by Cumbrian Sun 11 May 2014, 10:13 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/10822613/Danny-Cipriani-in-line-for-England-call-up-after-Stuart-Lancaster-asks-for-him-to-be-rested-from-Sale-Sharks-game.html

Telegraph Sport understands that Cipriani's Sale team-mate, Michael Paterson, will also be named in the provisional training squad.

The New Zealand born second-row, who is eligible for selection through an English grandparent, has been one of the finds of the season after joining Sale from Cardiff Blues last summer.

"I want to represent England at the World Cup and if I get the opportunity to be selected for the squad it would represent a huge honour for me - and I'm sure my grandfather, too, watching down from above," said Paterson in a recent interview.

Shocked 
Do we really need a foreign born second row? We've got loads of decent young locks waiting for a chance. Plenty of full time number 6's too. Don't get it at all.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 11 May 2014, 10:22 am

Me neither. Lock not an area of weakness either. I thought we were cutting down on the grandparent approach...
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 11 May 2014, 10:39 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-blues-michael-paterson-looks-2027739

Don't like the grandfather rule but if he's qualified he's qualified and should be considered same as everyone else. And part of that is commitment to the team. If he is then no problem. But he's about 29?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 11 May 2014, 10:47 am

Lawes
Launchbury
Attwood
Slater
Parling
Kitchener
Kruis
Stooke
Barrow

Would rate the above as already better or with more potential (final two) than Paterson. Would be a strange selection certainly.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 11 May 2014, 10:50 am

Yeah, the fact that he is getting on towards his 30s was an issue for me too. It feels a little like he's simply being parachuted in for the world cup.

Also, he's been a fantastic line-out operator for Sale (no denying that), but he hasn't really contributed much else. So you'd have to assume that he'd be going out as a lineout lock, but he'd be third choice behind Lawes and Parling. If we're going to take a third choice lock, surely it would be better to include a youngster like Dom Barrow (Very Happy) or Elliott Stooke? Otherwise just stick with the locks who are already in the Saxons/ EPS; Attwood, Launchbury, Lawes, Slater, Kruis, Matthews and Stooke.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 11 May 2014, 10:51 am

Hasn't Paterson had a lot of motm awards, captained Sale when Braid was injured and is generally lauded? It wouldn't be a strange decision from a quality point of view. But he's 29, unless he's going to temporarily take starting spot, or is just considered cover while players are missing the first test, I don't really see the point.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 11 May 2014, 10:55 am

Just going on the games I've seen he's always looked like an out and out line-out operator in the mould of Steve Borthwick. It seems a departure from the 'all action' players that Lancaster usually goes for.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun 11 May 2014, 10:55 am

Could he be going just to hand down some experience to some youngsters that might get called up?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 11 May 2014, 11:23 am

the initial training squad, which meets up this week, will exclude any team whose season has yet to end. that does not leave many second rows left.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 11 May 2014, 11:32 am

yappysnap wrote:Why would he try Farrell at centre? Just don't see the point when we have lots of other centre's out there.
I don't think Lancaster should, but he's played Farrell outside Hodgson before and the Saracens man played outside Ford for the juniors.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 11 May 2014, 11:51 am

Yea but we weren't very good with that Hodgson/Farrell combo and those juniors didn't exactly set the game alaight.

I hope SL's learnt his lesson.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 11 May 2014, 12:31 pm

ok lads- what's worrying me is a replacement for care?

Is young's playing ok? can he become a a decent replacement? Or is anyone else going to be tried out?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 11 May 2014, 12:40 pm

Youngs' form has improved
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 11 May 2014, 12:43 pm

yappysnap wrote:Yea but we weren't very good with that Hodgson/Farrell combo and those juniors didn't exactly set the game alaight.

On the first I can agree, but didn't they push NZ in a Junior World Cup Final? I think they were a pretty fantastic bunch of juniors!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Sun 11 May 2014, 12:43 pm

13 tuilagi 12 farrell 10 ford
this will be Lancaster's first choice sometime in the future.England finished the 6 nations like this snd it wasn't an accident.

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 11 May 2014, 4:51 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
yappysnap wrote:Yea but we weren't very good with that Hodgson/Farrell combo and those juniors didn't exactly set the game alaight.

On the first I can agree, but didn't they push NZ in a Junior World Cup Final? I think they were a pretty fantastic bunch of juniors!

True but that doesn't help my point CJ

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 11 May 2014, 4:53 pm

sickofwendy wrote:13 tuilagi 12 farrell 10 ford
this will be Lancaster's first choice sometime in the future.England finished the 6 nations like this snd it wasn't an accident.

I hope I'm made to eat my words but I fear that backline! And not in a good way; in a boring, defense first, Tuilagi the decoy runner, Farrell the kicker and Ford totally unsupported when he's allowed to break kind of way.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 11 May 2014, 5:06 pm

I really hope they don't play Farrell and Ford at the same time. in the way ( 12 Farrell and 10 Ford )If they do i think we will get a serious kicking.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Sun 11 May 2014, 10:29 pm

Care
Cipriani
May/Foden
Burrell
Eastmond
Yarde
Brown

All Black squad to be announced;

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/opinion/10031712/Wilson-No-surprises-likely-and-thats-good

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 12 May 2014, 9:20 am

Is he really bringing this kiwi lock Patterson in? Honestly...??!!!!!

We have this group of young English locks and they're honestly going to look at a f%&king ageing Kiwi???!!!! Furious is not the word!!!!
If its true ill be emailing Lancaster and the RFU with my displeasure!!!

Lawes
Launchbury
Attwood
Slater
Parling
Kitchener
Kruis
Stooke
Barrow

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 12 May 2014, 9:31 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Is he really bringing this kiwi lock Patterson in? Honestly...??!!!!!
I got the impression Lancaster is only looking at him for the first training meet-up in England, when we will be short of locks and we need some to make training worthwhile. If it's anything more than that, then I won't be too impressed either.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 12 May 2014, 10:08 am

Ah i see...as long as thats all it is.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 12 May 2014, 11:00 am

The Crusaders game means the absolute minimum squad size will be 38 (midweek XV, test XV + 8 bench players assuming the bench is the same for both games). We're also likely to have between 4 and 8 test XXIII players unavailable for the first test because of the AP Finals.

That suggests a likely squad size of 44-46 (although it might be slightly smaller if there are some U20s players that he's planning to nick as injury cover).

When do they gather for the training camp?
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 12 May 2014, 11:24 am

I appreciate there will be a big squad going...and we may be missing some players for the first test.

Lawes (Saints), Slater, Kitchener, Parling (All Tigers) Kruis (Saracens),are in top four sides.

Thats still leave us with plenty of locks (not too mention the likes of Garvey etc who can double up as a lock if required)...to avoid having to bring in ANOTHER foreigner on Grand parent grounds.

I genuinely thought we were moving away from this type of selection...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 12 May 2014, 11:25 am

I think I read somewhere that Garvey is injured anyway

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 12 May 2014, 11:52 am

LondonTiger wrote:the initial training squad, which meets up this week, will exclude any team whose season has yet to end. that does not leave many second rows left.

I'll just repeat this as it seems to have passed a few by. Teams whose season isn't finished yet: Sarries, Saints, Tigers, Quins (play-offs), Bath (Amlin), Wasps (play-off vs SF for Europe).

That rules out (as locks): Kruis, Lawes, Kitchener, Parling, Slater, Launchbury, Attwood, etc. (may have forgotten a few), hence why Patterson could get a look in. Simply put, he's selecting from half the teams (and the bottom half - Sale excluded - at that), which leaves few options.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 12 May 2014, 12:05 pm

Jeez, Six sides with most of the England players. Who will meet up with Lancaster? Chris Pennell and a pint of ale?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 12 May 2014, 12:41 pm

Think Garvey is injured for some time.

Such a shame, because he was having a stormer of a season since his full transition to the backrow.

I'm hoping like most that Paterson's inclusion is for the training camps only. I really don't see the advantages of him touring, or what he brings that no one else does. I know we'll be limited in selection for the first test, but i'm settled for the time being with Lawes and Launchberry starting, with Attwood off the bench. Behind Attwood is Slater pushing hard. No need for another 'lineout guy', who in my opinion is undersized and not what we need right now! Hat off to him for a very decent season though.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 12 May 2014, 12:43 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:the initial training squad, which meets up this week, will exclude any team whose season has yet to end. that does not leave many second rows left.

I'll just repeat this as it seems to have passed a few by. Teams whose season isn't finished yet: Sarries, Saints, Tigers, Quins (play-offs), Bath (Amlin), Wasps (play-off vs SF for Europe).

That rules out (as locks): Kruis, Lawes, Kitchener, Parling, Slater, Launchbury, Attwood, etc. (may have forgotten a few), hence why Patterson could get a look in. Simply put, he's selecting from half the teams (and the bottom half - Sale excluded - at that), which leaves few options.

Is that going to rule them out of the Barbarians match? That squad is going to have a patched up look if so.

01. (?)Nick Wood
02. (?) Jack Yeandle, Luke Cowan-Dickie
03. Henry Thomas/ Kieran Brookes
04. Dom Barrow
05. Michael Paterson/ Elliott Stooke
06. Tom Johnson
07. Matt Kvesic
08. Ben Morgan

09. Dan Robson
10. Danny Cipriani

11. Jonny May
12. (?) Adam Powell, Sam Hill
13. Henry Trinder
14. Marland Yarde
15. Luke Arscott/ Chris Pennell

Some odd selections, but hey Lancaster was at the Falcons vs. Exeter game at the weekend.

Mind you, they would do well not to get punked by what is looking a fearsome Barbarians team.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 12 May 2014, 12:47 pm

Very patchy squad Cumbrian! Would be goood to see what Cipriani could get done with that lot against the BaBaas.

Out of those choices though, I'd go Cowan-Dickie at 2 and Pennell at 15. They've both had fantastic seasons.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Mon 12 May 2014, 12:51 pm

Doesnt the touring party leave before the barbarian game,surely that rules out may,yarde,Morgan etc?

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 12 May 2014, 1:17 pm

A correction from the Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/dannycipriani/10824565/Danny-Cipriani-correction.html

Our article "Danny Cipriani in line for England call-up after Stuart Lancaster asks for him to be rested from Sale Sharks game" stated that the fly-half did not play after the intervention of the head coach. We accept that this assertion was incorrect and apologise for the inaccuracy. The article has been taken down.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 12 May 2014, 1:26 pm

sickofwendy wrote:Doesnt the touring party leave before the barbarian game,surely that rules out may,yarde,Morgan etc?

Yes. If you are going on tour, you aren't playing against the Baa-Baas.

Well, I suppose there is an outside chance that Lancaster could decide there are people he definitely won't need for the first Test, regardless of potential training ground injuries on tour beforehand.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 12 May 2014, 3:17 pm

Judging by the lack of players available...ill be waiting for my call up for the Baas Baas game  Very Happy 

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 13 May 2014, 2:22 pm

Does anyone know when the squads are announced?

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 13 May 2014, 4:06 pm

Would like to see Sam Jones get a run out vs the BaaBaas.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 13 May 2014, 4:17 pm

Might even get to see Daly given a go in the 13,14,15 shirt? Or will Lancaster still ignore him...

Also that big Wasps no8 could theoretically have a game against the BaaBaa's without ruining his Fiji chances right? Sneaky way for us and him to see what he's got in the England set up...

My backline would be 9. Robson, 10. Cipriani, 11. JSD(c), 12. Powell, 13. Trinder, 14, Daly, 15, Pennell

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 13 May 2014, 4:30 pm

is JSD fit again?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Tue 13 May 2014, 5:51 pm

Will Vickery start or be on the bench?

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 13 May 2014, 6:43 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:A correction from the Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/dannycipriani/10824565/Danny-Cipriani-correction.html

Our article "Danny Cipriani in line for England call-up after Stuart Lancaster asks for him to be rested from Sale Sharks game" stated that the fly-half did not play after the intervention of the head coach. We accept that this assertion was incorrect and apologise for the inaccuracy. The article has been taken down.

I wonder how often they just this Poopie up and only apologise when called on it.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 13 May 2014, 7:07 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:A correction from the Telegraph

I wonder how often they just this Poopie up and only apologise when called on it.
Yeah, I reckon it happens all the time.

On that subject, Steve Coogan, in an interview about press regulations, was asking why retractions or corrections are allowed to just be a couple of inches on page 37 when the original 'made up' headline was in 3 inch letters on the front page.

You've got to love the press.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Tue 13 May 2014, 7:56 pm

Cipriani won't be named against the Baa Baas as he'll be in the match day squad to face the All Blacks on 7th June.

Don't you people know anything!

Run 

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 14 May 2014, 9:16 am

Yappy,

Id rather Nathan Hughes just picked FIji played in the upcoming qualifier and went for the WC next year with them.

We have Billy, Ben Morgan, Ewers, Dickinson etc to pick from. Let Fiji get some quality players.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 14 May 2014, 9:19 am

I agree Geordie, just thought it was interesting as a loophole, as he could I guess pull on the white shirt for free without any repercussions as it isn't a capped Test?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 14 May 2014, 9:32 am

Yeah it is one of those...the lad looks a serious talent. Lets hope ALL of Fiji's players are available to them for the WC.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by little_badger Wed 14 May 2014, 10:27 am

Thankfully looks like Hartley might be 'fit' for NZ, though it's a worry that he won't have had much game time. If Saints get knocked out in the semi finals, there is only the Amlin left to get match fit. Far from ideal really.

little_badger

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 14 May 2014, 10:38 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Yeah it is one of those...the lad looks a serious talent. Lets hope ALL of Fiji's players are available to them for the WC.

I hope Fiji get rid of the corrupt military dictatorship so that people would perhaps WANT to represent them. I also hope Hughes chooses with his heart, whoever that may be. I also hope that the money generated by international games is split between the hosts and the vistors, rather than just covering expenses (if they're lucky). I also hope that fairer tour schedules are put in place for these teams.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Wed 14 May 2014, 3:31 pm

So, just thinking on who could possibly represent England v BaaBaas -
So, no touring squad and no likely prem finalists (assuming Saints v Sarries) then this is a possible side -

01. Matt Mullan
02. Rob Buchanan/Grey
03. Kieran Brookes/Kyle Sinkler
04. Dom Barrow/G.Robson
05. Michael Paterson/Kitchener
06. Tom Johnson
07. Luke Wallace/Kvesik
08. Nathan Hughes/Waldrom

09. Dan Robson/K.Dickson
10. Henry Slade/B.Botica?

11. Rokodunguni/short
12. E.Daly
13. J.Joseph/Trinder
14. Tom Varndell
15. Chris Pennell/M.Tait

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Wed 14 May 2014, 4:15 pm

On the Hughes front it doesn't matter that it's a non-capped game I don't think. He'd still be deemed to have represented England. I'm not 100% on that would have to check but that's my instinct.

PropDavid, I think Mullan, Johnson and Wallace will definitely tour. Possibly Rokoduguni as well. Joe Gray is injured so I think it'll have to be Buchanan starting with possibly Lindsay on the bench.

I'd personally take Tait on tour but if not I can see him starting ahead of Pennell.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next