The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Englands Summer Tour of NZ - The rugby

+65
Dubbelyew L Overate
Welly
DaveM
Scrumpy
Hood83
fa0019
Eustace H Plimsoll
Cowshot
wrfc1980
flankertye
thomh
Scratch
bluestonevedder
Mad for Chelsea
robbo277
mystiroakey
Notch
Beaker
cb
doctor_grey
Sgt_Pooly
Hound of Harrow
nganboy
Cumbrian
Margin_Walker
Duty281
lostinwales
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Cyril
ChequeredJersey
Barney McGrew did it
Ozzy3213
jelly
majesticimperialman
propdavid_london
kingelderfield
kiakahaaotearoa
yappysnap
Taylorman
nathan
LondonTiger
quinsforever
Rugby Fan
Exiledinborders
hugehandoff
WELL-PAST-IT
BamBam
Jimpy
GloriousEmpire
king_carlos
chewed_mintie
Chjw131
niwatts
B91212
killer938
little_badger
beshocked
HammerofThunor
BigTrevsbigmac
geoff998rugby
sickofwendy
Poorfour
No 7&1/2
blackcanelion
Geordie
69 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Englands Summer Tour of NZ - The rugby - Page 18 Empty Englands Summer Tour of NZ - The rugby

Post by Geordie Mon 14 Apr 2014, 9:00 am

First topic message reminder :

NZ tour squad

England squad flying on May 27 (30)
Props
Joe Marler (Harlequins), Matt Mullan (London Wasps), Kieran Brookes (Newcastle Falcons), Henry Thomas (Sale Sharks), David Wilson (Bath Rugby)

Hookers
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs), Joe Gray (Harlequins), Dave Ward (Harlequins), Rob Webber (Bath Rugby)

Locks
Dave Attwood (Bath Rugby), Joe Launchbury (London Wasps), Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers), Ed Slater (Leicester Tigers)

Back rows
James Haskell (London Wasps), Tom Johnson (Exeter Chiefs), Matt Kvesic (Gloucester Rugby), Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)

Scrum halves
Danny Care (Harlequins), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Fly halves
Freddie Burns (Gloucester Rugby), Danny Cipriani (Sale Sharks)

Centres
Kyle Eastmond (Bath Rugby), Manusamoa Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), Henry Trinder (Gloucester Rugby), Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester Rugby)

Wings
Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby), Marland Yarde (London Irish)

Full backs
Mike Brown (Harlequins), Chris Pennell (Worcester Warriors)

Prem Final - 31st May (Sarries v Saints)

England v Baa Baas - 1st June

New Zealand v England (First Test)- 7th June
New Zealand v England (Second Test) - 14th June
Crusaders v England - 17th June
New Zealand v England (Third Test) - 21st June.

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Mon 26 May 2014, 7:25 pm; edited 4 times in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Englands Summer Tour of NZ - The rugby - Page 18 Empty Re: Englands Summer Tour of NZ - The rugby

Post by DaveM Mon 26 May 2014, 6:48 pm

England will put out a strong side in the first test. The forwards are missing a few players, but the likes of Attwood and Haskell won't let us down. I think we'll be pretty competitive.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Englands Summer Tour of NZ - The rugby - Page 18 Empty Re: Englands Summer Tour of NZ - The rugby

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 26 May 2014, 6:51 pm

I can't believe Haskell may be involved, he's a sin bin a game guaranteed.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 26 May 2014, 6:59 pm

Thought you'd be a Haskell fan Pooly!

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 26 May 2014, 7:23 pm

The squad is more or less as I expected. Interesting that Parling is in there...but with others missing he does have experience.

I thought Buchanan might have travelled over Gray.

But I can just show my annoyance again of the selection of Patterson for the Baa Baas game.

I appreciate he's had a decent season and an older head...but hes a 29yo Kiwi!!

Why oh why not select one of the numerous young English locks like Kitchener or Barrow, or Stooke. That's would make much more sense.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 26 May 2014, 7:51 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:The squad is more or less as I expected. Interesting that Parling is in there...but with others missing he does have experience.

But I can just show my annoyance again of the selection of Patterson for the Baa Baas game.

Why oh why not select one of the numerous young English locks like Kitchener or Barrow, or Stooke. That's would make much more sense.

Well Kitchener is in it.

Agreed Stooke should be given a shot but I guess he is rewarding form.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 26 May 2014, 7:56 pm

SL recently visited Toulon i believe and cannot have failed to see how outstanding the new ERP 2014 was on Saturday…..aren't England cutting off their nose to spite their face in omitting him from the squad because of the playing in England rule, or was SL at the Millie to see if Jonny could make one last tour down to NZ?

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 26 May 2014, 8:06 pm

Scratch wrote:SL recently visited Toulon i believe and cannot have failed to see how outstanding the new ERP 2014 was on Saturday…..aren't England cutting off their nose to spite their face in omitting him from the squad because of the playing in England rule
Problem being, where do you draw the line? Do you make special exceptions for players putting in a string of outstanding performances (like Armitage) or for extenuating circumstances (significant injuries)?

If the idea is to have a rule to stop a potential exodus to France, with all the potential release problems, then you need to be careful. You also need to show, as far as you can, that the rules apply to all.

Having said that, it's a results-based business and you need to pick your best players if at all possible. Armitage has certainly done enough (in my opinion) to be strongly considered. Especially as he can cover 7/8.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Mon 26 May 2014, 8:15 pm

In what world is the European Player of the Year not a special case?
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 26 May 2014, 8:18 pm

Makes no sense, if England's obvious best option is omitted for a seemingly arbitrary rule then the rule needs breaking.
The rule should be that all eligible players negotiate full release into their contracts otherwise you get the ridiculous situation you have in Wales.
Of course the legal conflicts that arise due to unions behaving like god over players careers means most players will avoid these potential situations.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Mon 26 May 2014, 9:00 pm

It's not an arbitrary rule, it's one intended to keep all the best English players playing in England. This has several advantages. Armitage is tricky because he is playing very well, but the English back-row is settled and effective, which weakens the case for making an exception.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Mon 26 May 2014, 9:12 pm

Armitage is playing well, in a team full of superstars. Would he have the same effect playing for england?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 26 May 2014, 9:12 pm

DaveM wrote:It's not an arbitrary rule, it's one intended to keep all the best English players playing in England. This has several advantages. Armitage is tricky because he is playing very well, but the English back-row is settled and effective, which weakens the case for making an exception.

If so it has failed in this case. Though both Morgan and Vunipola are good players, Armitage is a different class at both 7 and 8

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 26 May 2014, 9:26 pm

Armitage knew the rules when he went to France.

I accept he is a cracking player (easier to do when you have Juan Smith, Bakkies Botha etc etc around you), but if I were in Lancasters shoes I would do the same...ie not make an exception.

We have a cracking back row...and we have players coming through.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 26 May 2014, 9:28 pm

Armitage isn't a top 8. If you actually watch him he plays like a 7 in open play rather than a 8.

I honestly don't think he's any better than what we have. He gets a licence to roam with Toulon's 4/5/6/8 doing a lot of the graft. Something that England or many other teams could not offer.

He's a good player doing the "showy" stuff in a fantastic pack. I would wager he'd be half as effective in a lesser side (as he was for Irish).

We have a rule in place and it's working quite well. If Armitage wishes to go against Robshaw for an England spot he should return to England.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 26 May 2014, 9:28 pm

Scratch wrote:
DaveM wrote:It's not an arbitrary rule, it's one intended to keep all the best English players playing in England. This has several advantages. Armitage is tricky because he is playing very well, but the English back-row is settled and effective, which weakens the case for making an exception.

If so it has failed in this case. Though both Morgan and Vunipola are good players, Armitage is a different class at both 7 and 8
Armitage wasn't showing this kind of form when he left to join Toulon though. He last played for England in the 2010 Six Nations so he made his choice knowing at the time he wasn't being considered for international duty. Fair play, he's done brilliantly in France.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 26 May 2014, 9:30 pm

To suggest that Armitage is a better 8 than Vuinipola or Morgan exhibits a distant lack of knowledge about the game and what is required from the position.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Mon 26 May 2014, 9:32 pm

Stevan armitage should have his own thread

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 26 May 2014, 9:39 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:To suggest that Armitage is a better 8 than Vuinipola or Morgan exhibits a distant lack of knowledge about the game and what is required from the position.

To suggest that to suggest that is to show a distinct and boring propensity to be really dull  thumbsup 

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Mon 26 May 2014, 9:44 pm

Pleased that eastmond,parling and Haskell made the squad.
Surprise inclusions probably pennell,trinder,Cowan-dickie and gray.
these selections pose the most questions I believe:
Is pennell there just in case brown breaks down or has he leapfrogged Goode or foden,is foden now seen as a wing for England?
Trinder is interesting,is it back to 12 for Burrell to compete with 12trees,Barrett and eastmond or manu(Alan?) to wing?
Gray and LCD,have they both leapfrogged Jamie George?harsh if true.only one of those should have been selected unless Hartley isn't touring.

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 26 May 2014, 9:46 pm

I'd love to see a Burrell/Tuilagi midfield, I don't think any team in the NH could compete with their physicality.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Mon 26 May 2014, 9:59 pm

If twelvetrees breaks down in the 1st test I think we will see Tuilagi/Burrell start the 2nd test.

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 26 May 2014, 10:39 pm

Scratch wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:To suggest that Armitage is a better 8 than Vuinipola or Morgan exhibits a distant lack of knowledge about the game and what is required from the position.

To suggest that to suggest that is to show a distinct and boring propensity to be really dull  thumbsup 

Why?

Sarge is correct. Billy is a tremendous No.8. He's already amongst the best in the world...imagine a couple of years time. He'll be almost unplayable. Ben Morgan is a cracking 8 as well and will show it in NZ.

Billy id our starting 8 and I certainly wouldn't replace him with Steffon

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Mon 26 May 2014, 10:40 pm

Taking 36 to NZ before he's even trained suggests he's not going to make the 1st test, therefore either;

Eastmond/Tuilagi
Tuilagi/Trinder

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 26 May 2014, 10:43 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
Scratch wrote:

Why?

Sarge is correct. Billy is a tremendous No.8. He's already amongst the best in the world...imagine a couple of years time. He'll be almost unplayable. Ben Morgan is a cracking 8 as well and will show it in NZ.

Billy id our starting 8 and I certainly wouldn't replace him with Steffon

You guys have to believe this because you haven choice, Steffon played Billy off the park last weekend, stop deluding yourselves

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Mon 26 May 2014, 10:57 pm

Billy had a tough game. That's fine, it will probably do him good.

The rule is a good one. Without it a large part of the EPS squad might well be playing in France. If every now and then you lose a good player to the rule then that is a price worth paying if you have decent strength in depth as England do.

I'm surprised Armitage's desire to play for England wasn't strong enough that he was prepared to come back to England for a couple of seasons. After-all, a number of English club sides are looking quite strong now, and I could certainly imagine a team like Leicester being interested in him.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 26 May 2014, 10:57 pm

Steffon wouldn't work at 8 for England due to the dynamics of the current set-up, it's pretty obvious really when you understand what we need from this position.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Mon 26 May 2014, 11:04 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I'd love to see a Burrell/Tuilagi midfield, I don't think any team in the NH could compete with their physicality.

England could become very predictable with those to in the midfield. I really don't think that is how SL, Farrell and Catt want England to play. The pressure it puts on the FH to be the only playmaker is too much. SCW pointed this out as the Barrett/Bosch partnership was being outplayed in the HC Final. Eastmond is in the squad to provide that second option.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 26 May 2014, 11:05 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Steffon wouldn't work at 8 for England due to the dynamics of the current set-up, it's pretty obvious really when you understand what we need from this position.

so according to you you want a player that carries less, tackles less and makes fewer if any turnovers. Go for Billy then that is definitely what you need.

or just continue with your thinly veiled WUMs

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 26 May 2014, 11:07 pm

DaveM wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:I'd love to see a Burrell/Tuilagi midfield, I don't think any team in the NH could compete with their physicality.

England could become very predictable with those to in the midfield. I really don't think that is how SL, Farrell and Catt want England to play. The pressure it puts on the FH to be the only playmaker is too much. SCW pointed this out as the Barrett/Bosch partnership was being outplayed in the HC Final. Eastmond is in the squad to provide that second option.

This sort of blunt instrument selection, though perfectly understandable, is a clear misunderstanding of what England are looking to do in midfield

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 26 May 2014, 11:35 pm

I've been a bit disappointed with the way some of our top players and prospects are ending the season. It's fair to say that many of them put in their best performance of the season in an England shirt, or earlier in the year for their clubs.

I hope being back in an England environment helps relight the fire. We aren't going to provide much of a challenge to NZ without showing our best. We also won't do much at the World Cup if key men can't demonstrate and maintain world class form.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Mon 26 May 2014, 11:48 pm

The target for England has to be to win one test in NZ. Anything less seems to be failure thanks to the stupid scheduling - does anyone in that job actually look at a calendar - they have been hamstrung before leaving but, the first test can be used as a way to draw NZ out and find out what if any weakness the full squad can exploit in tests 2 and 3

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 27 May 2014, 4:39 am

Merts shoots straight from the hip...seems some are starting to put bits of coal on the fire already...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinion/10088398/Mehrtens-England-still-No-1-enemy

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Tue 27 May 2014, 4:48 am

Massive egalitarian chip + colonial inferiority complex = hypocritical whinge about importing Polynesians.

Thought he had more class than that.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 27 May 2014, 6:42 am

I think he pretty much sums up a lot of the thinking of the time- I don't think its there as much today and he admits to that. Generally I've found Merts straight shooting refreshing in his commentary down here since hes been back. Adds a level of analysis that others generally don't see. And he's fairly quick.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 27 May 2014, 7:20 am

sickofwendy wrote:Pleased that eastmond,parling and Haskell made the squad.
Surprise inclusions probably pennell,trinder,Cowan-dickie and gray.
these selections pose the most questions I believe:
Is pennell there just in case brown breaks down or has he leapfrogged Goode or foden,is foden now seen as a wing for England?
Trinder is interesting,is it back to 12 for Burrell to compete with 12trees,Barrett and eastmond or manu(Alan?) to wing?
Gray and LCD,have they both leapfrogged Jamie George?harsh if true.only one of those should have been selected unless Hartley isn't touring.

Technically all four of those names could be in the AP final - so were ineligible for selection for this initial squad.

With 4 hookers selected though, I do suspect that Hartley will not be fit.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 27 May 2014, 7:25 am

Scratch wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:Steffon wouldn't work at 8 for England due to the dynamics of the current set-up, it's pretty obvious really when you understand what we need from this position.

so according to you you want a player that carries less, tackles less and makes fewer if any turnovers. Go for Billy then that is definitely what you need.

Steffon has always looked class at club level. Currently he is helped by the phenomenal efforts of the likes of Smith and Lobbe. Both of them outplayed Armitage and made his job easy - and allowed him to have his quiet periods.

I would have liked to see if he had improved enough to to make an impact at test level - when he had a go he was overpowered by the opposition. However he made the choice to stay in France, and he made the decision to take the Rand this summer.

I would much rather we lose one potentially decent player to uphold the only in extremis rule.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Tue 27 May 2014, 7:32 am

Steffon may be wearing 8, but he's still basically playing 7. So, realistically, you'd play him instead of Robshaw and who in their right mind would do that?

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 27 May 2014, 7:53 am

If the T1 pack can hold out (more to do with whether it can gel), then the backline has plenty of weapons to hurt NZ. A genuinely dangerous back 3, attack oriented FH, solid 13 and Manu, and Care at 9...

However, if not, then watch Cips/Burns struggle to manage the game, Manu, Brown and Care take on too much themselves and an absolute tonking could occur
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by wickedwasp Tue 27 May 2014, 7:59 am

That pack doesn't look weak and NZ's pack is more competent in the set piece than destructive. I'm not expecting to get hammered to be honest.

Mind, I've been wrong before Smile 

wickedwasp

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Tue 27 May 2014, 8:03 am

Lancaster has been talking up LCD saying how impressive he has been in training.

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 27 May 2014, 8:21 am

Scratch wrote:

laughing 

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Tue 27 May 2014, 8:51 am

SL is never going to replace captain Robshaw and that's fair enough, especially as SA is in France. But let's get this right - SA not only plays for the best team in Europe getting numerous moms, he's also wins the ERC POY, for gawds sake. Any talk that he is not good enough for the England test side (albeit at 7) is simply farcical. Let's hope Robshaw doesn't get injured too often.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 27 May 2014, 8:58 am

He'd be a great option off the bench but I don't think he'd get in ahead of any of the 3 back row options at the moment. It does make me sad that he didn't come back to England when he had the chance and contest his place.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Tue 27 May 2014, 9:09 am

LCD is an extremely gifted rugby player. If he can get his throwing right then he has the potential to be world class.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 27 May 2014, 9:27 am

Scratch wrote:

When a player like Jaques Burger comes out and says that Billy Vunipolas workrate and tackling is hugely impressive to compliment his carrying then ill believe what he says....

Im quite happy with him and Ben Morgan at 8, and Robshaw at 7. Let Steffon enjoy his life in Toulon.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 27 May 2014, 9:49 am

And just think how much BV has improved in only a year. He is incredibly young for where he is at.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 27 May 2014, 9:50 am

Welly wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:The squad is more or less as I expected. Interesting that Parling is in there...but with others missing he does have experience.

Well Kitchener is in it.

Agreed Stooke should be given a shot but I guess he is rewarding form.

Im glad Lancaster recognises form, but i disagree when its a Kiwi. I dont care about "experience" or an older head being in there etc etc...he shouldnt be in the squad.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by little_badger Tue 27 May 2014, 10:04 am

Steffon knew the rules when he signed a contract extension about 12 months ago (ish). Yes he's playing well but with some of the best players in the club world. He enjoys his life in Toulon clearly and fair play it's a lovely place. However Stuart Lancaster has worked really hard to create an atmosphere where you have to have pride in playing for England earn the right, if Steffon wanted to earn it he had to return to England. That seems pretty straight forward to me.

little_badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 27 May 2014, 10:13 am

Scratch wrote:

so according to you you want a player that carries less,tackles less and makes fewer if any turnovers. Go for Billy then that is definitely what you need.

This is beginning to feel like we're banging our head against a brick wall.

Armitage carried 16 times for 28m.

Vuinipola carried 19 times for 86m.

Armitage will never play 8 for England. He's not a top 8, he's a 7. He'd be in direct competition with Robshaw for a jersey and he's not as good as Robshaw.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Tue 27 May 2014, 10:21 am

Really hope the last post puts this to bed
Armitage for England=yawn!!!

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next