The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New blood in the middleweight division.

3 posters

Go down

New blood in the middleweight division. Empty New blood in the middleweight division.

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:15 pm

Having been looking through the Ring's middleweight ratings I noticed how many of their top ten were on the wrong side of thirty. Only two rated fighters, Curtis Stevens and Billy Joe Saunders, are below thirty showing the division could do with some new blood. Recently there has been a mass exodus from the Amateur ranks to the pro's especially at Middleweight. I've listed a select few who I think could well be in the title mix over the next few years.

Ryota Murata:
The 2012 Olympic gold medallist and 2011 World Silver medallist  is older than the others on the list at 28 but he seems to be fighting a higher calibre of fighter at this early stage in his career. His first three opponents have had a combined record of 63:11 which is pretty unheard of with prospects. He must generate a lot of interest in Japan, first gold medallist since the 1960's and their first above bantamweight. His style is very fan friendly and Top Rank look to be keeping him as active as possible.

Yevhen Khytrov:
May be flying under the radar to most fans, he's signed to Dmitry Salita's Star of David promotions and has compiled a 4-0 (4 KO's) record so far. By all accounts a massive puncher as an amateur about 90 of his 120/130 bouts were stoppage wins. He defeated Murata in the 2011 World Amateurs to win gold and was very unlucky to lose a decision to Ogogo in the 2012 Olympics. He's based in America so hopefully he will again more exposure as he continues to knock opponents out.

Esquiva Falcao Florentino:
Another middleweight signed to Top Rank. The Brazilian turned down the opportunity to compete at the Rio Olympics to turn professional. He was the 2012 Olympic silver medallist and the 2011 bronze medallist, losing to Murata in both competitions. At the London Olympics he comfortably defeated anthony Ogogo to book his place in the final. Still only 24 he has plenty of time on his side. He's had two fights already this year with a third lined up in Macao.

Anthony Ogogo:
The Olympic bronze medallist has compiled a 5-0 record thus far but has been hampered by injuries since turning pro. He's signed to Goldenboy so exposure will not be a problem for him. He holds a win over Khytrov but has two loses to Florentino in the amateurs. Still only 25 hopefully he will be aiming for a British title in the next year or so.

Jason Quigley:
2013 was Quigley's breakout year. As an Amateur he won his first Irish seniors title. He then went to the European Championships and won gold, beating Khytrov along the way. Then came the World Championships where he won silver, losing to the home favourite in the final. He has just signed with Goldenboy and should be very marketable.

Conrad Cummings:
Recently signed with Cyclone promotions, he may seem a bit of a left field choice as he did not have the glittering amateur career of the others. He was very unlucky not to pick up an Irish senior title but has won many international tournaments representing Ireland. He holds a win over Florentino back in 2012 and also defeated the 2008 Olympic silver Medallist, Correa of Cuba, in the WSB. His fights with Quigley have always been nip and tuck and they could build an exciting rivalry over the coming years.

Of all the above I think Khytrov is the best prospect. His style is best suited to the pro's and he has age on his side. Hopefully having a relatively small promoter will not hold him back. Can another think of any more middleweight prospects to add depth to the division over the coming years?

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

New blood in the middleweight division. Empty Re: New blood in the middleweight division.

Post by Guest Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:20 pm

Given Salita's rapid fall from grace after being annihilated by Khan, it's hard to think that anyone coming out of his stable will be much cop especially when it comes to being given the push to World level.

Wouldn't touch any Salita product with a kosher barge pole.

Back to top Go down

New blood in the middleweight division. Empty Re: New blood in the middleweight division.

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:31 pm

Don't rate Ogogo he just doesn't impress me..........Quigley neither...

Like Saunders but he's talking silly by announcing a move to 168.......Poor decision If true..

Don't know what to make of Eubank jr yet.......Know more when he moves to Hearn in the next year..

GGG looks the best on the World scene now Martinez is looking old.........Other champs are ordinary..

Lee and Macklin can forget it.......and Murray needs work..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:40 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Given Salita's rapid fall from grace after being annihilated by Khan, it's hard to think that anyone coming out of his stable will be much cop especially when it comes to being given the push to World level.

Wouldn't touch any Salita product with a kosher barge pole.

Audley Harrison was promoted by Eddie Hearn at one point you know.

I guess we can write off Campbell, Joshua etc. What you reckon Dave?  Hug 
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:44 pm

You know as well as everyone that when Audley won Prizefighter, the look on Eddie's face said "Oh **** he's only gone and won the bloody thing. I only used him to shift a few tickets and now I've got to get him a fight! Bo!!ocks"

Audley wasn't "promoted by Eddie" per se. Eddie just held up his end of the bargain.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:53 pm

Ha! was only kidding.

Warren promoted him though outside, but then we all know Chisora can be wrote off anyway once he starts facing proper fighters again (if there is such a thing in the HW division!)
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:10 pm

My guess is they have a contingency plan for Chisora's next loss.......

Once it happens he beats up a granny and smashes a few bars and then the next fight he's in will be another Superfight !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:20 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Don't rate Ogogo he just doesn't impress me..........Quigley neither...

Like Saunders but he's talking silly by announcing a move to 168.......Poor decision If true..

Don't know what to make of Eubank jr yet.......Know more when he moves to Hearn in the next year..

GGG looks the best on the World scene now Martinez is looking old.........Other champs are ordinary..

Lee and Macklin can forget it.......and Murray needs work..

Harsh on Quigley, he hasn't had a pro fight yet. I'm not sold on Ogogo either, if he becomes aWorld Champ I think it's due to good management rather than talent.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down