The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby Cup European Player of the Season shortlist

+16
No 7&1/2
lostinwales
beshocked
ME-109
Scrumpy
fa0019
GunsGerms
quinsforever
Pete330v2
LondonTiger
Geordie
Portnoy's Complaint
Notch
yappysnap
doctor_grey
Rugby Fan
20 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Rugby Cup European Player of the Season shortlist - Page 5 Empty Rugby Cup European Player of the Season shortlist

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 30 Apr 2014, 1:05 am

First topic message reminder :

Chris Ashton
Steffon Armitage
Jonny Wilkinson
Jacques Burger
Schalk Brits

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/european-rugby/10796801/Chris-Ashtons-brilliant-form-for-Saracens-puts-him-on-the-shortlist-for-European-Player-of-the-Season.html

Interesting that only Ashton is in a position to play for a Six Nations side.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Rugby Cup European Player of the Season shortlist - Page 5 Empty Re: Rugby Cup European Player of the Season shortlist

Post by doctor_grey Fri 02 May 2014, 4:37 pm

beshocked wrote:doctor grey I disagree. Sometimes it's unfair if Player X or Y gets overlooked for an award but I do like the concept of man of the match/man of the season.

It's especially a confidence boost if Player X or Y has been struggling for form.

Example of this is Ashton. He's been criticised a lot, some of it warranted, some of it not - in the HC this season he's answered his critics with some strong performances.

Also it's nice if fans vote for you as player for the season or the peers decide you deserve that award.
OK. We see it differently.
I don't disagree that Ashton is playing very well. My comment has nothing to do with him or anyone. I simply don't like individual awards for team sports. A total contradiction.
But I also know they ain't going away because they generate a bit more attention in the media. Since the business of professional sport is a terrifically competitive marketplace, every sport looks for more media attention (ie. free advertising).

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Rugby Cup European Player of the Season shortlist - Page 5 Empty Re: Rugby Cup European Player of the Season shortlist

Post by beshocked Fri 02 May 2014, 4:46 pm

Hammerofthunor Ashton has had a very good HC mostly though. His tries were decisive scores. It might be unfair to just focus on him but when you're the team's top try scorer in the competition you'll get more prominence naturally.

Even look in the 6 nations - Mike Brown -6 nations player - 4 tries, 2 in the match vs Italy (Man of Match in that).

The spotlight generally focuses on the pointscorers. Even with England a lot of the praise has gone to the try scorers of Care,Burrell and Brown.

It's interesting that these days Owen Farrell seems to be less prominent in the headlines, it's not Owen's Saracens like it's Jonny's Toulon yet Owen has been pulling the fly half strings effectively.

Farrell has been doing some understated excellent things like well weighted grubbers,crossfield kicks, interception tries, fluky tries, etc. It's nice to see Owen's development as a fly half.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 02 May 2014, 5:00 pm

Yes, I know, but I'm saying it shouldn't. Try scorer is usually finish off moves or take advantage of others' work (either turnovers of lost ball the tackle). Goal kickers knock over penalties earned by others. There is no reason they should be lauded above others, other than Availability

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 02 May 2014, 5:32 pm

Perhaps not hammerofthunor but most of the time tries are only scored because the scorer is in the right place at the right time. Even an interception/chargedown have an element of skill to them - putting pressure/anticipation of a pass.

Some tries look easy because of the player finishing the move.

You don't win the matches without the tries and kickable points.

A 100% kicking record vs a 50% kicking record on the day might make the difference.

It's natural that some positions are more visuals than others.

How often would you see a prop being nominated for man of the match or player of the season? Unless they do some eye catching carries or score a try?

Unfortunately most of the time it seems as if flankers,fly halves and wingers get the most limelight.

http://www.ercrugby.com/news/28481.php#.U2PFfIFdWa8

On a side note - all Toulon fans must be rejoicing - Monsieur Rolland has been picked to ref the game

Whenever Rolland is ref Saracens lose or struggle to win.

Play Clermont, Rolland refs, Saracens lose
Play Toulouse,Rolland refs,Saracens lose
Play Toulon,Rolland refs,Saracens lose
Play Racing Metro, Rolland refs, Saracens almost lose (Rolland misses a blatant red).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn7sXouUXBI

Fabrice Estabanez first shoulder charges one of our players then clotheslines Strettle around the neck from behind and knocks him out.

Not even a yellow card for this incident - Saracens almost lose the game because of this.

He got a 4 week ban.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 02 May 2014, 5:37 pm

Maybe those teams are just better than Saracens?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 02 May 2014, 5:37 pm

You seem to keep trying to tell me how it is. I know how it is. I know awards are given for the obvious plays. That's part of the reason I don't like them but I still dislike generally in a game like rugby.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 02 May 2014, 5:56 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Maybe those teams are just better than Saracens?

Well Clermont got a mighty old spanking by Sarries. Rolland did not ref that one - admittedly he was assistant.

Didn't ref matches when we have beaten Ulster either.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 02 May 2014, 6:08 pm

beshocked wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Maybe those teams are just better than Saracens?

Well Clermont got a mighty old spanking by Sarries. Rolland did not ref that one - admittedly he was assistant.

Didn't ref matches when we have beaten Ulster either.

Shame he didn't. Maybe the game wouldn't have been decided by a silly decision. Also Sarries rode their luck early on v Clermont with a daft decision from Owens to award a penalty try. If as it tends to, luck evens out over the tournament hopefully Rolland will favour Toulon.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 02 May 2014, 6:12 pm

Whoever wins the game, Marmite Ashton will justifiably be in the frame as he's broken the try-scoring record.

Some people might gag on that fact.
But it should be undeniably true.

Unlike BOD the Translucent who has been showered with undeserved (imo) MOMs this season

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri 02 May 2014, 8:25 pm

Notch, I appreciate the answer a page back in NI and representing. I genuinely didn't know which was why I asked. Especially about the scots resettlers. Cheers.

Meanwhile, back on the euro potty thread...

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5