The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RWC and changing playing styles

4 posters

Go down

RWC and changing playing styles Empty RWC and changing playing styles

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 23 May 2011, 3:43 pm

Ever since David Campese "conned" England into throwing the ball about in 1991 RWC finals have been characterised by close finishes (extra time twice) and "tight" games - only the 1999 final didn't see a dropgoal*, Australia managed only 2 tries in 35 points though. On the flip side, the current interpretation of the breakdown law has made it easier to retain possession, encouraging teams to keep the ball in hand. The weather conditions in New Zealand in early spring when the Cup is held are likely to be damp - so softer grounds than was seen in the 1st half of Super XV.

Which (sort of) brings up the question, should you play your natural game com cup time, or modify it to reflect what you expect to be the "winningest" strategy? And what strategy do people think is most likely to work?

England this year has shown more enterprise than in the recent past, while South Africa has stuck with it's traditional game which paid dividends in 2007 and 2009 - but there are questions about an aging side relying on high kicks and fiendishly good place and drop-kicking. New Zealand threw that ball around a lot in 2010, and was only headed once by an Australian side that proved even better at the running game on the day in Hong Kong. NZ if Carter stays fit has the ability to modify it's game if necessary. Australia's strength is still the backline, with the forwards tasked with securing just enough possession to see them home. Ireland like NZ has a strong ball-running back row (albeit lacking a genuine fetcher unless Jennings tours), backed up by centres whos' skill at turning over tackle ball has been somewhat negated by the new law interpretations. I was disappointed by their kicking game in the 6Ns vs Wales, and despite Sexton's brilliance on Saturday he still lacks a little distance on his punts in a tactical kicking duel. I won't speculate as to France's strategy beyond hoping someone else knocks them out before the final Wink, while I'm pretty certain the recent lateral running tactics favoured by the Welsh won't get them very far Wink.

* Janni De Beer kicked enough in the 99QF for a whole tournament Wink. It's worth noting that Dan Carter attempted 3 drop goals on Saturday (succeeding with 1, though another hit the post) - though he denies doing it with September in mind, and claims that his ankle problems have stopped him practising them Shocked (I miss the old "yikes" 606 emoticon. And the "coffee" one) http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/5039349/Carter-denies-droppies-a-goal-for-World-Cup

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

RWC and changing playing styles Empty Re: RWC and changing playing styles

Post by Glas a du Mon 23 May 2011, 3:54 pm

Kiwi, everything the IRB have done to open up the game has allowed more forwards into midfield clogging it up. International matches can't have rules lite to suite the TV bosses. If you want to see running rugby in internationals I'm afraid you'll have to turn to the archives.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 23 May 2011, 3:55 pm

I fear you're right.

Glas a du wrote:Kiwi, everything the IRB have done to open up the game has allowed more forwards into midfield clogging it up. International matches can't have rules lite to suite the TV bosses. If you want to see running rugby in internationals I'm afraid you'll have to turn to the archives.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 23 May 2011, 3:56 pm

If its softer ground, then surely a kicking into spaces game is best?

And as for the Welsh lateral passing, we have been doing it for a good 18months now - we are experts at going sideways!

I think that the conditions will mean that people will kick into open spaces, chase the ball, which in turn will open up a running game bizarrely! I think its going to be an amazing WC this time around.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 23 May 2011, 4:18 pm

Try - Wales Glory Years 1970's Wink
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon 23 May 2011, 4:28 pm

Glas, laughing

I've still got:
NZ 2005
Crusaders 2002
NZ 1995-97
Australia 1991
NZ 1987-89 and
anything featuring the Ella brothers
to get through before i get as far back as the '70s Wink

In all honesty, it's not running rugby I necessarily want to watch, it's enterprising, intelligent rugby. So that means having the nerve to run the ball when the time is right, or keeping things tight in the forwards, or kicking intelligently when necessary. My biggest grip during the partial-ELV (who knows what might have happened if all the ELVs had been tried together) era wasn't the amount of kicking, more the aimless, pingpong nature of it

(but what did you expect, us Kiwis invented the idea of forwards being involved on attack, UK rugby scribes in 1905 were horrified).

In some ways I also think that the increased size and speed of the modern professional rugby player means that the only way to get back to "Welsh Way" running rugby would be to widen and lengthen the pitch by 5 m, or (sacrilege) drop a couple of forward positions and play 13 on 13 ...)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 23 May 2011, 5:08 pm

Aye well you need to go back to the '70's then. The Welsh way was based on domination up front. Teams were ground down before being killed off in the last quarter.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 23 May 2011, 7:13 pm

That's not entirely fair Glas, the game is evolving. Superior fitness levels- especially in the forwards- mean there is less space, but you only have to look at the All Blacks last season to see running rugby is very much alive at international level.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 23 May 2011, 8:04 pm

Ok Notch fair point, I generalise and exaggerate to make a point. The Anzacs are certainly the exception though rather than the rule aren't they?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down