The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 Positives to take after England's Defeat to Italy

+7
super_realist
socal1976
Dolphin Ziggler
cherriesfna
Crimey
Good Golly I'm Olly
Duty281
11 posters

Go down

10 Positives to take after England's Defeat to Italy Empty 10 Positives to take after England's Defeat to Italy

Post by Duty281 Sun 15 Jun 2014, 9:20 am

1) Positive Roy. For quite a while, Roy Hodgson has been painted as a negative, defensive manager, despite my noble efforts to defend him. In England's first game, Roy proved me right by attacking and going for the win. He could have shut up shop for a 0-0, but he didn't. Because he's positive Roy.

2) England were the better team. England had the better chances and deserved to win. It didn't go their way today, but that's football. You can really see how much they've improved over the last two years, performance-wise.

3) That's the hardest game out of the way. And England are now left needing two wins against overrated Uruguay and underrated Costa Rica. If England can just make a few small improvements from Saturday, they will surely triumph in both.

4) Superb Sterling. He's wearing the same number as Gazza did at Italia 90! And he, Sterling, was certainly England's best player yesterday; one gorgeous pass, a couple of brilliant runs and nearly, oh so nearly, a goal to rival the very best.

5) Tidy Jordan. Retaining possession is never a problem for him!

6) Options from the bench. There's quite a few as England showcased last night. A surplus that has been lacking for sometime for England.

7) Daniel's goal. He's a man in form, and that's something you certainly require from your number nine at a World Cup.

8) Oxlade's imminent return. What a boost that will be for Engtand, to have yet another in-form attacking midfield option.

9) Uruguay are beatable. The South Americans looked weak at the back yesterday, combined with their one-paced attack. They may be overly reliant on a half-fit Suarez. England don't need to fear.

10) Spain lost their first game in 2010. And I think it all turned out fine in the end...

Last edited by Duty281 on Sun 15 Jun 2014, 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

10 Positives to take after England's Defeat to Italy Empty Re: 10 Positives to take after England's Defeat to Italy

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 15 Jun 2014, 9:46 am

I'd also say the way we reacted to both goals was a big positive for me, we bounced back well from both and never let the Italians drive home there advantage
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

10 Positives to take after England's Defeat to Italy Empty Re: 10 Positives to take after England's Defeat to Italy

Post by Crimey Sun 15 Jun 2014, 12:08 pm

Also won't have to play in those conditions again which made the English game-plan more difficult because after 70 minutes the players were nackered.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Sun 15 Jun 2014, 12:22 pm

We now have a reason to drop Rooney
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 15 Jun 2014, 12:27 pm

Err no.. England were not the better team and didn't have the better chances. I clearly remember Italy hitting the post and the crossbar. They also had far more possession and for the last 30 minutes pretty much strolled to victory.

The only reason why this England performance is being spun as positive is because our previous performances for however many championships have been beyond pathetic. In contrast this actually looked like a decent performance. But that's all.

Let's be realistic.

England are a second rate team, with second rate players. Not even one world class player. They remind me of teams like Belgium and Switzerland of world cups gone by. They are of that ilk, that class; no more.

Certainly not a team that has any prayer of advancing beyond the quarters.

And what's with number 10? Spain in 2010 were already established as one of the leading contendors. They had a squad full of world class players. Fabregas couldn't even make their starting 11 (he would be our captain if he'd been English).

So stop with your ridiculous fanboyism. It's the same crap that always ends in disappointment and leads to arrogant, patronising comments like 'we have better players than Italy' (Duty, yesterday). Better players like who? Just because you don't know the Italian players very well doesn't mean our overhyped ones are any better. I bet no one in Italy could name more than five of our squad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 15 Jun 2014, 12:33 pm

I'd take on that last bet.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 15 Jun 2014, 12:36 pm

I for once would like to agree with Emancipator. Italy controlled the match, had the better players and deserved to win. Rooney I think is world class but he is too up and down with his fitness, mindset, and focus to be truly the best. England should advance out of a tough group though. Although if Suarez plays for Urguay they certainly are capable and you can't count out Costa Rica either.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 15 Jun 2014, 12:47 pm

emancipator wrote:Err no.. England were not the better team and didn't have the better chances. I clearly remember Italy hitting the post and the crossbar. They also had far more possession and for the last 30 minutes pretty much strolled to victory.

The only reason why this England performance is being spun as positive is because our previous performances for however many championships have been beyond pathetic. In contrast this actually looked like a decent performance. But that's all.

Let's be realistic.

England are a second rate team, with second rate players. Not even one world class player. They remind me of teams like Belgium and Switzerland of world cups gone by. They are of that ilk, that class; no more.

And what's with number 10? Spain in 2010 were already established as one of the leading contendors. They had a squad full of world class players. Fabregas couldn't even make their starting 11 (he would be our captain if he'd been English).

So stop with your ridiculous fanboyism. It's the same crap that always ends in disappointment and leads to arrogant, patronising comments like 'we have better players than Italy' (Duty, yesterday). Better players like who? Just because you don't know the Italian players very well doesn't mean our overhyped ones are any better. I bet no one in Italy could name more than five of our squad.

Oh the irony. laughing

And England had eighteen shots to Italy's thirteen, and were unfortunate not to have a penalty. Joe Hart was worked far less than Sirigu, as well.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 15 Jun 2014, 10:05 pm

emancipator wrote:Err no.. England were not the better team and didn't have the better chances. I clearly remember Italy hitting the post and the crossbar. They also had far more possession and for the last 30 minutes pretty much strolled to victory.

Let's be realistic.

Spot on Emancipator.

Here's another "positive":

England were not realistic challengers at this tournament from the beginning. Nothing has changed that situation. Expectations are nil, and rightly so.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 15 Jun 2014, 10:58 pm

Let's be realistic.

Can only agree.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 16 Jun 2014, 2:23 am

I backed Italy to win and made a wealth out of it.

Lets be frank English team never plays as a team, as a team they are cropper and you compare with Italy who has a team is much stronger than person to person comparison, outside that Italy got a few world class players who can control the game by themselves.

On the other hand I was very impressed by English performance not cause they played breath taking football but very high performance than say last 3-4 world cups.

I don't think so England can beat Uruguay , Uruguay had a bad game and they would have learned the lessons they will come firing at England and the best result for England would be a draw 1-1.

The first time I saw Rooney in his first Euro appearance I couldn't believe my eyes on somebody possessing that speed and skill to shine but this Rooney is way out dated.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 16 Jun 2014, 9:18 am

Options From The bench.

Wilshere is not a bench player for me. I'd start with him, but he isn't a game changing player. Also, I'd prefer Welbeck on the bench, with his pace, late on.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView Mon 16 Jun 2014, 2:49 pm

Stella wrote:Options From The bench.

Wilshere is not a bench player for me. I'd start with him, but he isn't a game changing player. Also, I'd prefer Welbeck on the bench, with his pace, late on.

Strangely Welbeck is the only player who looked impressive on the England's first outing.

DirectView

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView Mon 16 Jun 2014, 9:00 pm

10 Positives to take after England defeat

1]Punters gave a very high odd on England and hence we gamblers made a fortune out of it.

2]England suffered only a 1-2 defeat and not 100-2 defeat.

3]David Beckham doesn't play anymore.

4]England players wish of reaching home quicker is now a bigger probability.
5]A struggling Italy's passion was re-ignited.
6] The English people can now watch the t20 league
7]English media has learnt some lessons
8]Fans have learned some lessons.
9]we don't have to watch the pain of English team be humbled by Germanys an Brazils.

fand finally

10]I got a chance to make a mimic outta England.

DirectView

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down