The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tackles that made a difference

+23
Taylorman
GLove39
WELL-PAST-IT
ScarletSpiderman
dummy_half
bedfordwelsh
Rugby Fan
teh_Dingmeister
Biltong
captain carrantuohil
Mad for Chelsea
rodders
Poorfour
lostinwales
Looseheaded
jelly
No 7&1/2
sickofwendy
Geordie
fa0019
HammerofThunor
Nematode
kiakahaaotearoa
27 posters

Go down

Tackles that made a difference Empty Tackles that made a difference

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 18 Jun 2014, 2:28 pm

Rugby tackles that is.

Saw an article that mentioned quite a few game-breaking or saving tackles and thought I'd see how many we could all come up with. Last weekend Ben Smith made a try saving tackle. It wasn't so much the tackle that was the try saver but, rather, the fact that he got quickly to his feet and stole the ball, preventing England from recycling the ball. In the context of the match 10-3 became 10-6 instead of 15/17-3. These are moments that prove decisive in a game.

We're not so much looking for huge tackles here - rugby tackles those with smutty minds - but tackles that lead to a decisive moment in the context of the overall match. They don't have to be at the end of the match but they need to argue that they swung the match in a team's favour or proved the difference between the two teams. Jeff Wilson is forever reminded of the tackle that George Gregan made on him to deny Bledisloe victory. He was reminded on the weekend and you can see it still affects him. The tackle that forced the ball from his grasp over the line will forever be etched in NZ fans' minds. Less well known but equally decisive iwere the tackles that van der Westhuizen and Japie Mulder made on Lomu in 1995 during the RWC final.

Ben Cohen made a tackle on Ben Blair in 2002, which proved a game-saving tackle right at the death. Beauden Barrett made a decisive tip tackle - I still don't know how he managed to run him down with such a big head start - on Wille Le Roux last year at Ellis Park which would've brought SA back to within a score and could well have motivated the Boks to one more score. Apollo Perelini against Wales at the 1991 RWC proved equally decisive in the context of the game. Whilst Josh Lewsey' monster hit on Matt Rogers doesn't qualify under my criteria, his tackle on JDV at Twickenham in 2006 does.

So what other tackles spring to mind - rugby tackles on other rugby players! - that fit those criteria?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Tackles that made a difference Empty Re: Tackles that made a difference

Post by Nematode Wed 18 Jun 2014, 2:33 pm

Check Rugbydump - 'try savers and rib breakers' series

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 18 Jun 2014, 2:33 pm

Quickly got to his feet before falling forward onto his hands to steal the ball, you mean? (largely because Tuilagi didn't release the ball immediately of course).

Joe Worsley tap tackle against France in the 2007 SF. Can't remember exactly who it was but I think it was a try saver, late in a tight game.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 18 Jun 2014, 2:38 pm

Yeah I did see that but the first movement was the correct one and like you say hanging on meant he dug a little lower and illegally.

Cheers, Nematode. Going down that video rabbithole will keep me occupied for the rest of the day.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:15 pm

Victor Ubogu 1993 Twickenham vs ABs on John Timu???

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:16 pm

Don't recall that one but I like those names from the past!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:17 pm

not a great tackle.. just managed to push his toe onto the chalk and his try didn't count.

But England won 15-12 if I recall.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:18 pm

Micky Skinners tryline beast on Marc Cecillon!!!

Maybe thats the hit that sent him crazy!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:22 pm

Dayglo tackling the all black pack in'03

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:23 pm

sickofwendy wrote:Dayglo tackling the all black pack in'03

Was that the one when he got binned and NZ decided on the scrum 5 metres out?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:24 pm

Umaga and Mealamu's tackle made a difference back in 05. Sorry. Joking. I'll get my coat.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:25 pm

Not sure
Just remember him ramming them back
Might be
We won the match

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:26 pm

Warburton made a try saving tackle on Manu at the end of the 1st half in the drubbing
That was an important one,good too

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:27 pm

How about ROGs magnificent tackle on Jaque Fourie in the 2nd lions test to prevent a match winning try and turn around the series???

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:42 pm

Fourie on monye in the 1st test was a good un
Early in the game managed to hold the ball up

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:43 pm

surprised no one has mentioned the most famous of them all yet... Danie Russouw.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by jelly Wed 18 Jun 2014, 3:57 pm

One of the funniest was on Will Carling in a 7's tournament. He tried to get closer to the posts to make the conversion easier and he got carried out of play with his arms and legs flapping wildly away while he could do nothing about it.

jelly

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Wed 18 Jun 2014, 4:10 pm

cant remember if it swung the match or not (it probably didnt considering it was Scotland) but Paterson's trry saving cover tackle a few years ago on i think Foden was awesome

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 18 Jun 2014, 4:11 pm

OK - how about the first season Carling was captain. England had been woeful for a couple of seasons but got a 9-9 draw against what had been a much superior French side, which included (I believe) Rob Andrew knocking the ball out of French hands with the Frenchman in the in-goal area. It was the start of much better things

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 18 Jun 2014, 4:16 pm

jelly wrote:One of the funniest was on Will Carling in a 7's tournament. He tried to get closer to the posts to make the conversion easier and he got carried out of play with his arms and legs flapping wildly away while he could do nothing about it.

I used to work for the man who made that tackle. He's a really good guy, too.

One of the best tackles I've ever seen was George Lowe on Tom Varndell at the start of this season. Varndell had a head start and a straight run to the tryline but Lowe somehow came in on the angle with a tap tackle that saved the try.

Another favourite, not so much a try saver as a statement of intent, was Jonny Wilkinson on Sterling Mortlock at the start of the 2003 RWC Final. The Aussies had clearly decided to target Wilko and sent Mortlock down his channel. Jonny hit him like a train and left him flat on his back. Saw it again recently and these days it would be a candidate for a card. But it set a very important marker for how England intended to play.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 4:20 pm

Poorfour wrote:
jelly wrote:One of the funniest was on Will Carling in a 7's tournament. He tried to get closer to the posts to make the conversion easier and he got carried out of play with his arms and legs flapping wildly away while he could do nothing about it.

I used to work for the man who made that tackle. He's a really good guy, too.

One of the best tackles I've ever seen was George Lowe on Tom Varndell at the start of this season. Varndell had a head start and a straight run to the tryline but Lowe somehow came in on the angle with a tap tackle that saved the try.

Another favourite, not so much a try saver as a statement of intent, was Jonny Wilkinson on Sterling Mortlock at the start of the 2003 RWC Final. The Aussies had clearly decided to target Wilko and sent Mortlock down his channel. Jonny hit him like a train and left him flat on his back. Saw it again recently and these days it would be a candidate for a card. But it set a very important marker for how England intended to play.

You sure it was Mortlock?

I recall he hit Giteau who had just come on as a blood replacement for Larkham and first ball he got smashed by JW. Commentator said... "welcome to the world cup final". An almighty hit.

Robinson on Tiquiri late on in extra time was a big one too.... I thought he was in myself but Robinson stayed strong held on and someone else then came on to force Tiquiri into touch.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 18 Jun 2014, 4:32 pm

RWC 05 Joosts tackle on Jonah Lomu.

George Gregan on Jeff Wilson in 97(?)

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 18 Jun 2014, 4:40 pm

nobody's mentioned Lewsey on De Villiers yet? A superbly timed covering tackle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsMdyjLUsxQ

one which probably nobody but London Irish fans will remember is Paul Hodgson (the SH) making a magnificent covering tackle on Adrien Planté of Perpignan in the HC QF a few years back. Perpignan chipped over the top and Planté gathered to touch down but Hodgson did just enough to force him into touch. IIRC the score at the time was 11-6 to Irish, just before half-time (Perpignan had advantage and kicked the penalty, but Irish crucially still had the lead and turned in a great second half to win 20-9 - certainly IMO the tackle was a game-changer). found it, here it is Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEMWetddCSs

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 18 Jun 2014, 4:46 pm

About that 9-9 draw between England and France - it was '85, I think, about three years before Carling played for England. The man who tackled Esteve in the in-goal area, denying him a certain try, was Richard 'Corky' Harding of Bristol, who was scrum-half for England that day. England carried on being useless for nearly three years after that game as well. The bright new dawn had to wait for '88 and the original 'Swing Low' match against Ireland.

The Gregan tackle would be my favourite - clinched a Bledisloe Cup in its own right. There's one other - not so much a tackle as a shoulder charge - made by the inimitable JPR against France during the Grand Slam decider at Cardiff in 1976. Gourdon, the French right wing, looked certain to score in the corner and deny the Welsh victory until the sideburned one appeared like a whirling dervish to shoulder/elbow/hip and thigh him into touch with the force of a mortar shell. Would have probably earned him a yellow card today, but a great memory.

Last edited by captain carrantuohil on Wed 18 Jun 2014, 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 18 Jun 2014, 4:48 pm

Shane Williams on Matt Banahan.

Tackled him around his neck but hey he's about 1ft shorter and carries about 8st less so he could tackle him with a baseball bat and I'd still think its marginally fair!

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 18 Jun 2014, 4:52 pm

The tackle that has made the biggest difference in my opinion is the "carded tackle" of Bismarck on Dan (against the IRB regulation to tackle) Carter. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 18 Jun 2014, 5:31 pm

Wilkinson made an astonishing number of tackles in that game - in my head it was something insane like 44, but it was probably less than that. There was definitely one on Mortlock, but he probably did the same to most of the Aussie backline at some point.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 18 Jun 2014, 6:17 pm

Chelsea the JDV tackle was mentioned in the OP.

Some nice variety here. I liked Kaino's fireman carry tackle in the semi in 2011 on Ioane. If the Aussies had scored then their confidence would've rocketed.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by teh_Dingmeister Thu 19 Jun 2014, 1:13 am

Jason White's tackle on Paul Sackey in the 2008 Calcutta Cup. Although you would expect a big back rower to dominate in that situation Scotland have been lacking that raw physicality the big man brought to the pack.

Really set a statement of intent for the rest of the match. One of the few times that I've been to Murrayfield and actually been able to get a decent view as well although it was of course signature Murrayfield weather and Wee weeing down with rain.

Agree with the Kaino tackle on Ioane, outstanding strength and determination. Kaino was probably the best player in the world and the best player at the world cup.

teh_Dingmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 19 Jun 2014, 1:38 am

lostinwales wrote:OK - how about the first season Carling was captain. England had been woeful for a couple of seasons but got a 9-9 draw against what had been a much superior French side, which included (I believe) Rob Andrew knocking the ball out of French hands with the Frenchman in the in-goal area. It was the start of much better things

That game was actually a bit earlier, in 1985. It was Richard Harding who knocked the ball out of Patrick Esteve's hands and that was one of the highlights of English rugby during those years. Esteve was under no perssure at all but just didn't see Harding coming.

It's mentioned in Harding's wikipedia entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Harding_%28rugby_player%29

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 19 Jun 2014, 6:20 am

Geoff Parlings tap tackle for the Lions in the 3rd test just before half time, Aussies were coming back into the game and made a good break if they had scored just before the whistle who knows.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 19 Jun 2014, 8:00 am

Paul Sackey made a couple of good ones in the RWC 07. coming in off his wing to snuff out overlaps. I think one was in the second group game, and between his tackling and counter-rucking gave England enough momentum to get us going in the tournament after the initial drubbing from SA.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 19 Jun 2014, 12:09 pm

I remember in a Scarlets V Leinster game Sean O'Brien got the ball and was picked up and driven backwards by Jon Davies, it was in the centre of the pitch, so it was not a try saver or anything like that. However it was one of those moments, when the fans and players alike seemed to suddenly get a bit of life into them. (but pretty sure we still got thumped come full time).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 19 Jun 2014, 12:11 pm

Also quite surprise that a certain tackle by a certain player in 2005 has not been mentioned, as that tackle made a world of difference to the game, and the careers of two young up and coming players.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 19 Jun 2014, 12:27 pm

Josh Lewsey on Matt Rodgers in 2003, just about ended Rodgers career, he was never the same again
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Thu 19 Jun 2014, 12:28 pm

Great topic Kia.

One that springs to mind, 2006 - Jason White's tackle on Bortolami. Only a few minutes left in the match and Italy are ahead by 1. White smashed him just inside his half and managed to force a penalty for holding on. Paterson kicked the resulting long range penalty and we had our first 6 Nations away win in 4 years.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 19 Jun 2014, 12:43 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Josh Lewsey on Matt Rodgers in 2003, just about ended Rodgers career, he was never the same again

Also in the OP but didn't fit the criteria. But it was a great tackle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3cnss1UMO8

Josh Lewsey was one of those players mentioned on another thread who probably wouldn't make the all-time greats list but one of those players who was worth his weight in gold at the time and wouldn't have been swapped for love nor money.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 19 Jun 2014, 12:47 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Also quite surprise that a certain tackle by a certain player in 2005 has not been mentioned, as that tackle made a world of difference to the game, and the careers of two young up and coming players.

You talking about Hansen picking up the English centre and man handling him?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 19 Jun 2014, 12:49 pm

watching grassroots rugby at the moment kia. theyre taking in Southbridges game with Carters first for the year. He set up two tries, one a kick to the wing, the other a miss 3 pass to the winger, then converted from the sideline...not a bad 40 minutes. thumbsup 

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Thu 19 Jun 2014, 12:54 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Also quite surprise that a certain tackle by a certain player in 2005 has not been mentioned, as that tackle made a world of difference to the game, and the careers of two young up and coming players.

You talking about Hansen picking up the English centre and man handling him?

Tait,Tait Kia, the inference is that Orangina did something not allowed to the little boy. I am not sure Tait was past the age of consent at the time, as it stood then anyway.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 19 Jun 2014, 1:02 pm

Any big game-saving tackles? Otherwise don't want to know about it?  Very Happy 

Good to see him back. Hope he makes his way back slowly in and keeps the injuries at bay.

Poor old Tait. I always liked him as a player with a sevens background but got shafted by selection much like Hook.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 19 Jun 2014, 1:52 pm

Tait - at least he was a stand out player (on the loosing side) in a RWC final. Henson's career stands out for other reasons....

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu 19 Jun 2014, 2:22 pm

Mal O'Kelly's try/game saving tackle on Mark Regan in Twickenham 2004. Could be wrong but I think it was Englands first game at home as world champions.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 19 Jun 2014, 2:50 pm

The O'Kelly tackle reminds me of another difference-maker between Ireland and England. October 2001, the 'foot and mouth' game, with England going for the Slam about six months late. Ireland ahead by 5 in the dying minutes, Dan Luger apparently clean through, line at his mercy....and Peter Stringer just gets a tap-tackle in that causes Luger to stumble, the chance to disappear and the Grand Slam to vanish with it.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 19 Jun 2014, 4:31 pm

Hibbard on marler 2011. Made the TV shake
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 19 Jun 2014, 6:51 pm

That's just reminded me of Marler on North. Saint v Quins, North flattened Walker on the winger. Get's the ball again, squares up to Walker and Marler flattens him. Not particularly game changing but nice.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Thu 19 Jun 2014, 7:06 pm

Lewsey on Rogers. Greatest hit ever, completely silencing the gobby self-proclaimed star

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Jun 2014, 8:46 pm

The tackle on Tuilagi by Warburton in the 2012 win against England

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gkv1fJM5q8

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 19 Jun 2014, 10:23 pm

Launchbury's tap-tackle on Dave Kearney was a try-saver. Amazing bit of work!

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down