The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crawford vs Gamboa - SPOILERS

+11
hazharrison
catchweight
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
All Time Great
3fingers
milkyboy
John Bloody Wayne
Seanusarrilius
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
mobilemaster8
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Crawford vs Gamboa - SPOILERS Empty Crawford vs Gamboa - SPOILERS

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 29 Jun 2014, 1:35 am

Morning gents,

Anyone staying up for this one apart from me? How do we see it going?

I'm predicting Crawford via UD but wouldn't be surprised if Gambia stopped him late.

Should be a cracker.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Crawford vs Gamboa - SPOILERS Empty Re: Crawford vs Gamboa - SPOILERS

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 29 Jun 2014, 1:41 am

hmm probably not, not sure it's got the card or the main event to warrant a 4am start, will wait untill the morning and hopefully catch a english version

Still siding with Crawford although the Burns result has put me off a little but no I think Crawford's blend of skill, speed, power and size will pull him through and Gamboas inconsistency will show

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 29 Jun 2014, 3:28 am

good evening!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 29 Jun 2014, 3:34 am

Korobov making Wlad K look like a reckless threshing machine.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 29 Jun 2014, 3:51 am

Can't say I'm sad to see that one end. Don't show me Korobov again unless he's in with GGG because that wouldn't last long.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 29 Jun 2014, 4:06 am

The referee looks old and high.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 29 Jun 2014, 4:09 am

I can't be bothered to finf paper so I'm resting a mint on each thigh for rounds won. Gamboa left thigh

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 29 Jun 2014, 4:21 am

I have Gamboa up by 3 mints to zero. Cuban style.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 29 Jun 2014, 4:27 am

Wouldn't work for me john, after a few rounds I'd be eating the mints and trying to remember which pile I'd stolen them from.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 29 Jun 2014, 4:44 am

Thrilling fight!

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 29 Jun 2014, 4:47 am

I had it four mints each including two half eaten mints for Crawford, indicating knock down rounds.

Crawford, who I thought was rocked in the 9th, came back viciously to stop Gamboa in the same round. Gamboa hurt numerous times and showed great heart but few brains, Khan style!

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 29 Jun 2014, 4:51 am

that was one hell of a fight. Gamboa started so strong. Crawford took over. Great action. Gamboa is too small at LW for me. But what heart.

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Sun 29 Jun 2014, 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 29 Jun 2014, 4:55 am

Gamboa has no sense of keeping the chin tucked in while on offensive. He's far too good to be getting caught with some of these shots.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 29 Jun 2014, 4:57 am

Great fight that one.

Surprised by how handily Gamboa was winning after the first 4 rounds!!

Ended up getting wild as he always does, got caught by a full blown lightweight pretty flush...dropped...and hurt very much.

The next 3 rounds I gave to Crawford including another knockdown.

Round 9 was strange. Gambia hurt him but seemed too groggy to jump on him which is understandable as he did try.

But then he got caught again and finished off on the receiving end of a wonderful uppercut.

Great fight. Rematch please.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 29 Jun 2014, 6:21 am

I was wrong, but the olympic flyweight did great.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sun 29 Jun 2014, 11:14 am

Silly from Gamboa. He's too small at the weight, and took a lot of shots in those last two rounds.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 29 Jun 2014, 1:50 pm

From now on I score fights on a mint system. Far more reliable.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 30 Jun 2014, 8:58 am

Conclusions:

1. I under-estimated TC's quality.
2. Gamboa cannot compete at LW, just way too small.
3. American commentary is just as poor/fawning as the UK rubbish.

Had level going into the 9th, only gave TC one round where he didn't score a kd, rest went to Gamboa. YG is still a quality oeprator, and incredibly exciting (massively to his detriment as he just 'does a Khan' when tagged) but no way should be operating at this weight - especially versus a guy making possibly his last appearance at LW as he's so tight at the weight.

YG didn't look ripped, yes he's 32 now but I can't see why he can't cut down to at least 130. Though I guess he's looking for fights and money and at SFW there's only a couple of home-fighting Japs nobody cares about a guy he already beat and JuanMa where the interested dissipated long ago.

There's also Mikey Garcia of course, but I'd back the Oxnard man heavily.

Maybe Lomachenko could be tempted up?? That could be a cracking fight!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 30 Jun 2014, 9:49 am

I still haven't seen the fight. Gamboa looked in good shape at the weigh in though... But admittedly not in the completely dehydrated way we are used to seeing guys. Not sure what he was on fight night, but I heard crawford was 152. That's a hell of a gain at that size.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 30 Jun 2014, 9:51 am

Yeah, Crawford was indeed supposed to be 152 on the night, Milky. Gamboa 146, apparently.

First off, top fight. Hats off to both putting on a real show.

I suspect a lot of people will still say that the jury is out on Crawford to some degree as he was in there with a smaller guy, but if we’re being honest weight wasn’t the outstanding factor in how and why he won (although I agree that Gamboa would be better off at 130). It was always going to take a while to size up and get used to Gamboa’s speed, but I felt that Crawford was starting to deal with it a lot better by the fourth round (the switch to southpaw worked a treat and turned out to be an inspired move as it was only then that he started landing his jab with any regularity) and even before the knockdown in the fifth Crawford seemed to be finding his groove and negating Gamboa’s attack more and more.

After he got that knockdown, there only ever looked like being one winner and I thought he’d certainly done enough to be ahead on the cards going in to the ninth.

Credit to Gamboa for showing immense heart and some great speed and offensive skills early on, but his defence was completely non-existent. Appreciate that he’s always been a more aggressive fighter than most Cubans, but it’s hard to believe that any boxer at the highest level could be so naïve in that regard. Not sure if it was just a rush of blood on his part or a lack of clear instruction from his old man in the corner, but I find crazy to think that they went in there thinking that Crawford wasn’t going to start timing him coming in and testing his whiskers at some point. Fighting like that, Gamboa didn’t really give himself a chance.

Gamboa reminded me a bit of Terry Norris in there. Take a look if you haven’t seen them at Norris’ capitulations against Simon Brown and Keith Mullings to see what I’m on about. Just fighting on that rush of blood instinct and convincing himself that he’d always be too fast and busy for the other guy – and then having no clue what to do when that doesn’t turn out to be the case. But the way he boxed early on showed that he’s still got those quick, silky-smooth attacking moves and that, combined with his power, should still see him be a factor even at 135 but especially if he trims back down.

I think Crawford is the real deal and I was really impressed with how he adapted and closed the show on Saturday. He’s my fighter of 2014 so far.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 30 Jun 2014, 9:53 am

TC definitely didn't look a LW. I know YG is small but TC looked like a LWW, if not WW!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 30 Jun 2014, 10:05 am

Would love to see a unification fight with Vasquez before TC moves up......

A Broner fight could be juicy too once he's at 140......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 30 Jun 2014, 10:07 am

Touch of the floyd's about how Crawford bides his time to work guys out and seems to find a plan/rhythm and up his workrate as the other guy slows. At least that's how the Prescott and burns fights panned out and from reports, this one too. Its high risk if it means giving away too many early rounds, but this is the first time he has given the other guy a head start so its a method that's worked so far.

Gamboa doesn't have the greatest defence or whiskers though... if he did have a better chin say, are those who saw it confident that Crawford would still have won? Ie if he can be outboxed by a little guy, albeit one of gamboa's talents, is it a little early to be getting carried away?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 30 Jun 2014, 10:21 am

Gamboa is an unbelievable talent and is an unorthodox fighter so yea he was always gonna start quickly

Unfortunately for him he has a bit of Khan about him. Leaves is chin hanging while he throws and loves to fight fire with fire, and at LW against a puncher like Crawford that was never going to work. Crawford took some fire but showed his chin and stamina and is a very very good fighter

Think he should go to LWW, vasquez doesn't really excite unlike the group at 140 although being TopRank it's going to somewhat limit the amount of options for him

Gamboa needs to stay active to remain relevant and he showed in the first few rounds he can compete at this level but needs to keep that damn chin down and be more composed under fire. Needs to get a move on before his legs go

He could go to FW, Lomachenko, Donaire, Mares, Gonzales etc are all there but can gamboa make 126, he's small but thick and always rehydrated a lot when he was there so we'll see

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 30 Jun 2014, 10:25 am

Weighing 152lbs and fighting at lightweight is such a nonsense. Boxing really needs to sort this out. Its being swept under the rug.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 30 Jun 2014, 11:27 am

Crawford looked the goods. His composure is outstanding, he reminds me of a Breland or a Nunn in that regard.

Gamboa had to try and engage with Crawford, he had no chance of winning a boxing match from range. His plan was to feint TC and then exchange with him at mid-range, where he planned to outspeed the bigger man.

Crawford's off to 140 now apparently (he did look drawn). As for Gamboa, as brave as he was, I find it difficult to credit him after his links to a Biogenesis clinic.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 30 Jun 2014, 11:56 am

Boxing is all about beating big names and this kid is doing everything right and good luck to him..

Must say I didn't think he was that good against Burns but Styles make fights..

Onwards and upwards for Terry.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 30 Jun 2014, 12:15 pm

Arum says Crawford will fight Pacquiao soon. Absolute desperation from Top Rank. Any SFWs or LWs have good performances and the old dirtbag automatically tries to feed them to Manny. How about letting TC rule LW and ease him into LWW over the year. He hasn't got his title for 5 mins and Arums straight in to probably ruin his run.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Jun 2014, 12:17 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Arum says Crawford will fight Pacquiao soon. Absolute desperation from Top Rank. Any SFWs or LWs have good performances and the old dirtbag automatically tries to feed them to Manny. How about letting TC rule LW and ease him into LWW over the year. He hasn't got his title for 5 mins and Arums straight in to probably ruin his run.
To be fair to Arum (not a phrase you hear often) he did say he didn't see anything wrong with that fight being made in a year. However, to the detriment of Arum, doesn't he realize that in a year's time Manny will be a fully fledged SM?

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 30 Jun 2014, 12:30 pm

It's the fact he made Manny vs Rios which was nonsense then Mikey Garcia gets a couple of good wins and we are told by Arum that Mikey will fight Manny and low and behold Crawfords gets a good win and now he's an opponent potentially. TC is the future. Only 26 and a brilliant talent. He should progress at a steady pace. Not be threw in against an elite WELTER! Too much too soon for Crawford
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 30 Jun 2014, 12:35 pm

Witherspoon fought Holmes after 12 fights....

Crawford is as ready as he'll ever be for Manny and If he loses he returns with a higher profile, more experience at the highest level and plenty of bucks on his back pocket..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 30 Jun 2014, 12:41 pm

Crawford had trouble with Gamboas hand speed so he will be troubles ten fold against Manny. He is a lightweight and will no doubt be sent packing to 147 to fight Manny. Funny how Broner was heavily criticised for jumping from LW to WW and his performances at welter showed the jump was too much and he got battered and nearly lost to a pillow puncher. Crawford should stay put and progress to welter at his own pace if he even decides to go that far. It's a bad move and too soon for him
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Jun 2014, 12:44 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:It's the fact he made Manny vs Rios which was nonsense then Mikey Garcia gets a couple of good wins and we are told by Arum that Mikey will fight Manny and low and behold Crawfords gets a good win and now he's an opponent potentially. TC is the future. Only 26 and a brilliant talent. He should progress at a steady pace. Not be threw in against an elite WELTER! Too much too soon for Crawford
Funny...people have only seen him against the overachieving Burns and the two-years-past-his-best Gamboa but hey, who are we to argue if he's going to be the future based on that?

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 30 Jun 2014, 12:50 pm

I don't mean he WILL be the star of the future but from what we have seen in his last two fights surely he is a standout fighter and should be up there. His performance against Gamboa was excellent. People can say "oh Gamboa was too small" etc etc but it was still one that puts him on the map. The hindsight crew seems to be out in force.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 30 Jun 2014, 12:55 pm

He beat Gamboa and Gamboa was respected..

Can't do anymore than that..

Alvarez used to be respected too....

You can't please everybody..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Jun 2014, 12:59 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:He beat Gamboa and Gamboa was respected..

Can't do anymore than that..

Alvarez used to be respected too....

You can't please everybody..
Come on, Gamboa is nothing like the fighter he was a few years ago when it was widely felt that he had the makings of a genuine p4p star.

Gatti used to be respected but no-one gives Gomez props for beating him

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 30 Jun 2014, 1:04 pm

Plenty on here picked him to win...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Jun 2014, 1:05 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Plenty on here picked him to win...
Which means what? That he was still good or that some people don't know a great deal?

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 30 Jun 2014, 1:08 pm

I don't think we're hailing Crawford solely due to the fact he beat Burns and Gamboa. It's the manner of those victories and the poise he showed while gaining them. How many unbeaten Americans would volunteer to travel to Scotland to face a hometown hero who'd been the beneficiary of home scoring in recent bouts? Nothing got to him up there. He was utterly unflappable.

He then volunteers to take on Gamboa -- the very difinition of a wildcard -- and despite losing a few rounds early, remains unruffled, works the Cuban out expertly and then dispatches him in stunning fashion.

Crawford looks the business. Talented fighter who's willing to take on challenges in order to prove his worth.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 30 Jun 2014, 1:12 pm

Yawn.......some threads/posters are so tedious and predictable.

If Manny beat MAB now at 147 would he get any credit for it? Fighting a guy 2-3 years past his best and 2-3 weight divisions above where he was most effective and made is name isn't exactly game-changing.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 30 Jun 2014, 1:16 pm

Don't post on them then..

You add nothing anyway..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 30 Jun 2014, 1:16 pm

I don't see why manny shouldn't be a possible opponent for Crawford. If he comes in at light middle when he makes lightweight the day before, he probably walks around heavier. Too early for him? Maybe. Don't think many guys moving up can claim manny is too big for them.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 30 Jun 2014, 1:16 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Plenty on here picked him to win...

Because he was fighting someone with little to no record and just one decent 'world' level performance.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 30 Jun 2014, 1:17 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Don't post on them then..

You add nothing anyway..

I was adding before you turned up.

And all you add is sycophantic arris-licking, so don't get too over-excited about your own contribution.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 30 Jun 2014, 1:19 pm

hazharrison wrote:I don't think we're hailing Crawford solely due to the fact he beat Burns and Gamboa. It's the manner of those victories and the poise he showed while gaining them. How many unbeaten Americans would volunteer to travel to Scotland to face a hometown hero who'd been the beneficiary of home scoring in recent bouts? Nothing got to him up there. He was utterly unflappable.

He then volunteers to take on Gamboa -- the very difinition of a wildcard -- and despite losing a few rounds early, remains unruffled, works the Cuban out expertly and then dispatches him in stunning fashion.

Crawford looks the business. Talented fighter who's willing to take on challenges in order to prove his worth.

Fair take on it.

Am certainly interested to see where he goes next, albeit I wouldn't want to see him fed to Manny (note the only person on here championing that approach hero-worships a guy that's spent his entire career protecting his '0'), I'd like him to unify LW if he can make 135 one last time and then look to break in LWW.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 30 Jun 2014, 1:23 pm

Relentlessly negative...

He got to number 1 fighting stiffs.

Go away..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 30 Jun 2014, 1:28 pm

Try taking your own advice for once and give the board a break from your BS.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 30 Jun 2014, 1:56 pm

Give us a kiss Toppy...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Mon 30 Jun 2014, 2:13 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Would love to see a unification fight with Vasquez before TC moves up......

A Broner fight could be juicy too once he's at 140......
No unification with Vazquez is possible.

Bob Arum 'Vazquez stinks, the fans hate him'

Vazquez's contract has since ended with Top Rank.

He signed with Al Haymon on Saturday and now fights on ShoTime.

Crawford is signed with HBO

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 30 Jun 2014, 2:43 pm

Vazquez dodges a bullet there then. Division seems to be all soft champs these days....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next