The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rio de Janiero - 2014 Fifa World Cup Thread

+27
AberdeenSteve
invisiblecoolers
Strongback
Scrumpy
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Ent
Dave.
Liam
Stella
Steffan
mystiroakey
Hero
Duty281
GSC
Dolphin Ziggler
Knowsit17
Nakatomi Plaza
sportform
Lowlandbrit
Nachos Jones
kingraf
Hammersmith harrier
Pal Joey
The Special Juan
westisbest
Good Golly I'm Olly
Fernando
31 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Rio de Janiero - 2014 Fifa World Cup Thread - Page 3 Empty Rio de Janiero - 2014 Fifa World Cup Thread

Post by Fernando Sat 12 Jul 2014, 10:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

I can live with diving but when going down on purpose injures a player it's going too far really. You're trying to con the ref and injure someone.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Rio de Janiero - 2014 Fifa World Cup Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Rio de Janiero - 2014 Fifa World Cup Thread

Post by sportform Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:15 pm

Duty281 wrote:
sportform wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:The Rodriguez goal is the hardest to pull off, back to goal, controls it on his chest prior to which he checked where his marker was, spun and hit the perfect left foot volley. I doubt very much a kid could pull of skill like that.
I've seen 10 year old kids do exactly the same. I have done it plenty of times. It is hardly the most difficult skill.

I have never seen anybody score a goal like RVP.

Why are you not playing professional football then, if you've done it plenty of times?
Firstly, I was too small as a kid... Secondly, my point is it was not that hard to do. Again, I've done it in school/ park football, seen others do it, chest and volley goals happen up and do the country even Sunday. You would have to go a long way to see a goal like Van Persie's.

Again go and try to score both down your local park. Rodriguez's goal would be so much easier to copy than Van Persie's goal.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Rio de Janiero - 2014 Fifa World Cup Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Rio de Janiero - 2014 Fifa World Cup Thread

Post by Duty281 Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:19 pm

sportform wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
sportform wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:The Rodriguez goal is the hardest to pull off, back to goal, controls it on his chest prior to which he checked where his marker was, spun and hit the perfect left foot volley. I doubt very much a kid could pull of skill like that.
I've seen 10 year old kids do exactly the same. I have done it plenty of times. It is hardly the most difficult skill.

I have never seen anybody score a goal like RVP.

Why are you not playing professional football then, if you've done it plenty of times?
Firstly, I was too small as a kid... Secondly, my point is it was not that hard to do. Again, I've done it in school/ park football, seen others do it, chest and volley goals happen up and do the country even Sunday. You would have to go a long way to see a goal like Van Persie's.

Again go and try to score both down your local park. Rodriguez's goal would be so much easier to copy than Van Persie's goal.

May I ask how? Rodriguez's effort was more accurate going into the top corner, whereas RVP merely had to loop the ball over the Spanish keeper who was stranded. On the technique, RVP made a good run and dive, but Rodriguez had to do much more with two perfect touches, the requisite level of power, and pinpoint accuracy into the top corner. Not forgetting the slight swivel as he wasn't standing side-on to the goal originally.

I would be confident off replicating RVPs goal, not sure about Rodriguez's effort though.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:20 pm

Was it a 40 yard through ball though, John? It takes serious orientation, (of the directional kind Doody!!!) to get that right. It's the best goal for me.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:24 pm

Rodriguez's back was to the goal for his effort...now that's some serious orientation!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:25 pm

Thing is with Rodriguez' goal. He did it on the biggest stage possible under extreme pressure against a world class defence. Everything about that goal was pure quality in timing, execution and coolness under pressure.

RvP's goal was also an excellent piece of timing and execution. Its all down to personal opinions though as to which is the best but to make light of either goal saying anyone could do them is a little silly to be honest.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:26 pm

Duty281 wrote:How does a diving header have more technique than a player positioning himself perfectly, making a perfect touch, and then a perfect, powerful connection into the top corner?
Van Persie headed the ball straight from the pass (from the halfway line) and got lift over the keeper. Talking a ball out of the air coming over your shoulder is hard enough anyway. Trying to get lift from a header like that is extremely difficult. Palacio had a much simpler header against the Netherlands in the semi final and couldn't get any lift on it.

Go try to copy both goals. Rodriguez's goal would be so much easier to copy.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:27 pm

Duty281 wrote:
sportform wrote:
This video took about 5 seconds to find. Just shows how easy chest and volley is.

Laugh

Rodriguez was 24-30 yards from the goal. Bit different.
Technique is still the same though. Easy to do.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:28 pm

sportform wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
sportform wrote:
This video took about 5 seconds to find. Just shows how easy chest and volley is.

Laugh

Rodriguez was 24-30 yards from the goal. Bit different.
Technique is still the same though. Easy to do.

Power? Accuracy? Quality of keeper? Pressure from the defence? Positioning of the attacker when he first touched the ball? All completely different.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:28 pm

John wrote:I've just gone in my garden, my mate threw me a ball & I headed it over the garden fence, which I pretended was Casillas. It wasn't difficult.
Try a pass from the halfway line.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:35 pm

Nachos Jones wrote:Thing is with Rodriguez' goal. He did it on the biggest stage possible under extreme pressure against a world class defence. Everything about that goal was pure quality in timing, execution and coolness under pressure.

RvP's goal was also an excellent piece of timing and execution. Its all down to personal opinions though as to which is the best but to make light of either goal saying anyone could do them is a little silly to be honest.
I agree, it is all down to personal opinion.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:37 pm

sportform wrote:

Quite possibly the biggest lolz/#headsgone I've seen
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:38 pm

sportform - what country are you from?

and can you send these kids over to England please?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:42 pm

Anyways, back to the final. I think that its going to be closer than expected. Argentina, whilst not really setting the world cup on fire, are a wiley group of players who excel at breaking up attacks and can produce moments of magic. Germany are a young and very enthusiastic group who will run all day.

I can still see Germany nicking it in Extra time but I would not be surprised if this went to penalties then I would favour Germany again.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:42 pm

Honestly that goal doesn't back up your point at all, completely different to the Rodriguez goal, i'm sure you're not stupid enough to need me to point out why.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:43 pm

Anyway, going with a pretty clear German win. 2-0, or 3-0. Covered my early Argentina bet with a German win, so question isn't do I win, question is how big?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:44 pm

Olly wrote:
sportform wrote:

Never seen any kids attempt what Van Persie done. Reading the comments on here it is no wonder England never win anything.

NB -Where are all these kids? From my experience on the subs bench because coaches would rather play the big kids and kick and run football.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:45 pm

Rather than watch the World Cup final, I think I'll listen to my CD of Mrs. Thatcher. Yes, that's the English way!

I'll also guarantee it to be an excellent final this way!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:46 pm

RVP does the only thing he can do to get anything on the ball. The others have options but choose the genius. I am not sure I think RVP has much idea where he is or where he's aiming. I also think Blind's pace is made good and actually probably not at all intended

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:46 pm

Okey doke, Bill.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:47 pm

sportform wrote:
Olly wrote:
sportform wrote:

Never seen any kids attempt what Van Persie done. Reading the comments on here it is no wonder England never win anything.

NB -Where are all these kids? From my experience on the subs bench because coaches would rather play the big kids and kick and run football.

Now i've scored a goal like the one you showed it's not a difficult skill to chest the ball down and volley but to do it with your back to goal, 30 yards out with defenders between you and the goal is a different proposition.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:47 pm

England don't win anything because some of us on here rate technically perfect goals? That's actual logic is it?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:49 pm

I suppose you've seen loads of kids score the Zidane volley too.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:49 pm

Nachos Jones wrote:Anyways, back to the final. I think that its going to be closer than expected. Argentina, whilst not really setting the world cup on fire, are a wiley group of players who excel at breaking up attacks and can produce moments of magic. Germany are a young and very enthusiastic group who will run all day.

I can still see Germany nicking it in Extra time but I would not be surprised if this went to penalties then I would favour Germany again.
It will be interesting to see who takes the game to the opposition. I think Germany maybe happy to sit and hit the weak Argentine defence on the break.

The best way for Argentina to win would copy Algeria and try to get the ball early in behind the German back line.

I would like to see Argentina win with Messi having a great game but feel the best team wins and that is Germany.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:50 pm

sportform wrote:
Olly wrote:
sportform wrote:

we used to go for the salmon dive headers alot as kids- and i am not lieing- i remeber my mate pulling off the best one ever

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:51 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I suppose you've seen loads of kids score the Zidane volley too.
The one at Hampden? No. As I have said above with the RVP and Cahill goals it is a lot harder to score straight out of the air. Much easier to control the ball first.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:53 pm

sportform wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:I suppose you've seen loads of kids score the Zidane volley too.
The one at Hampden? No. As I have said above with the RVP and Cahill goals it is a lot harder to score straight out of the air. Much easier to control the ball first.

You do know Rodriguez's first touch was part of the goal don't you?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:54 pm

Who do the Brazilian fans want to win the most?

Argentina, their arch rivals winning on their soil will hurt like hell.

Germany, the team that crushed them 7-1.

Be interesting to see who these fans get behind.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:58 pm

Khedira out, could change things a lot.

Fancied Germany by 2 goals before that.

Anyone who has played football to any sort of level knows Rodriguez was goal of the tournament.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 13 Jul 2014, 7:59 pm

sportform wrote:
Olly wrote:
sportform wrote:

Right you've never seen any kids attempt a header from a long ball? You must watch some weird below head height football

And of course cos we are all the reason England win nothing. Cos we all have soooooooooooo much influence on the English national side

#headwasnteventheresgone
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:00 pm

Duty281 wrote:
sportform wrote:

You do know Rodriguez's first touch was part of the goal don't you?
The first touch was to control the ball. Once you have controlled the ball the second strike is a lot easier. RVP and Cahill's first touch was to score.

Thierry Henry said about RVP's goal than he would have been looking to take the ball down.

All about opinion. Don't think we will every agree.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:01 pm

No Khedira? I don't particularly rate him, but I don't like a winning team being changed.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:02 pm

sportform wrote:

No it isn't, controlling the ball perfectly then hitting the volley on the swivel is far more difficult.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:05 pm

Olly wrote:
Right you've never seen any kids attempt a header from a long ball? You must watch some weird below head height football
I've seen loads of kids head long balls but never a diving header trying to loop it over the keep.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:06 pm

The circumstances that led to that goal made it RVPs only choice, and were exceptionally difficult to reproduce.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:06 pm

That's poor from Argentina, the ball went out off the ref with Germany in possession and instead of giving the ball back to Germany, they go on attack...

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:07 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
sportform wrote:

No it isn't, controlling the ball perfectly then hitting the volley on the swivel is far more difficult.
Ok. Laugh Headscratch 
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:08 pm

Rooney's volley against Newcastle was fabulous technique but he's not really thought about what he's doing and just hit it as hard as he could, how many times have we seen him try the same thing and fail.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:08 pm

the tika taka is strong in this German team
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:08 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
sportform wrote:

Quite agree. clap

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:10 pm

Argentina look very strong down that right flank, real worrys there for Germany.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:11 pm

This was a fantastic volley #myheadwasgone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtWUvFu5oqo
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:13 pm

Gervinho's goal for me or RVP's. RVP himself has scored a couple of Cahill's (and arguably better ones, remember the one where Song lofts the pass over his head and he has to judge it before volleying it in?). Rodriguez's was alright but I've seen a few of them. Although I love a screamer, Gervinho's was technically very nice.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:15 pm

Anyway, good start to the game. Could do with a goal. Both teams look to be wanting to win it rather than not lose it.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:16 pm

Kroos getting that spot on the end of his nose is akin to failing to perform on your wedding night

What a time
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:17 pm

That's fecking nasty. Not nice.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:17 pm

Thats a concussion
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:20 pm

What a miss
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:22 pm

Great opportunity missed.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:25 pm

Germany's back line is pushing high again. Argentina need to try and get the ball behind that line quickly and get the defenders facing there own goal.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Sun 13 Jul 2014, 8:27 pm

Germany are going to get caught on the break at some stage during this match. Look good with the ball but very suspect on the break.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next