The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

+47
Derbymanc
VTR
hornbloweroafc
monty junior
LivinginItaly
Brys
CaledonianCraig
Mike Selig
GSC
Josiah Maiestas
dummy_half
dyrewolfe
BamBam
Mad for Chelsea
Mat
spencerclarke
mystiroakey
FIFA Diva
Steffan
Breadvan
The Special Juan
freemo
Soldier_Of_Fortune
MIG
Lowlandbrit
Stella
liverbnz
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Hammersmith harrier
Fernando
Hero
compelling and rich
hampo17
Good Golly I'm Olly
westisbest
Dolphin Ziggler
Ent
super_realist
JDizzle
Crimey
NickisBHAFC
Nakatomi Plaza
Liam
owen10ozzy
Mackem
Marky
Duty281
51 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread - Page 8 Empty The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by Duty281 Thu 28 Aug - 12:21

First topic message reminder :

Onwards, we go. Latest England squad has been named for the friendly against Norway, and the opening qualifier versus Switzerland.

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Southampton), Ben Foster (West Bromwich Albion), Joe Hart (Manchester City)
Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), John Stones (Everton)
Midfielders: Jack Colback (Newcastle United), Fabian Delph (Aston Villa), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal) Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Andros Townsend (Tottenham Hotspur), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal)
Forwards: Rickie Lambert (Liverpool), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Danny Welbeck (Manchester United)

You know, such a squad does not fill me to the brim with optimism!

Best side we can muster out of that, assuming Roy takes a 4-2-3-1 shape, would probably be:

Hart, Stones, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines, Henderson, Wilshere, Sterling, Rooney, Oxlade, and Sturridge.

Last edited by Duty281 on Thu 28 Aug - 12:24; edited 1 time in total

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 9 Oct - 21:41

well that was boring. A few positives for England, Wilshire played well second half while Lallana, the Ox and Townsend all looked sharp. Rooney, though picard selfish, showboating, embarrassing. Should defo have been subbed instead of Wellbeck, but he's Mr Untouchable apparently...

Two wing-backs were poor too, no threat in the final third. Anyway, one shouldn't be too critical I guess, it's job done and we can move onto more interesting things.

Slovakia beating Spain Laugh Laugh

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The Official *England's Passage to Paris 2016* Thread

Post by Duty281 Thu 9 Oct - 21:43

We're better than Spain,
We're better than Spaaainnnnn,
We are the English,
We're better than Spain!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 9 Oct - 21:44

Tom Huddlestone being suggested.

Give me strength
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 9 Oct - 22:02

Can't do any worse than Wilshere Tbf. Id rather see Nolan than Wilshere!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 9 Oct - 22:27

GSC wrote:Tom Huddlestone being suggested.

Give me strength
I cry every time this is suggested.

He kicks the ball cleanly and hard he must be good!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by FIFA Diva Thu 9 Oct - 23:07

NickisBHAFC wrote:Can't do any worse than Wilshere Tbf. Id rather see Nolan than Wilshere!

I'd rather see Noble than Nolan. Nolan is limited to finishing.
FIFA Diva
FIFA Diva

http://www.manutd.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 9 Oct - 23:18

NickisBHAFC wrote:Can't do any worse than Wilshere Tbf. Id rather see Nolan than Wilshere!

I pull my hair out every time that is suggested.

Wilshire will end up like Cole. Under appreciated because his persona polarises opinion.

Just watch him play.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Fri 10 Oct - 0:39

Oh come on! I mean you make what you want of Wilshere, but Nolan and Huddlestone??? Really???

As for the game not much to say TBH. Nothing really good was ever going to come of it, 5-0 is fine, job done, move on. Not sure you are ever going to learn that much from a game like that.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Fri 10 Oct - 0:47

You get class players for clubs, but some players just can't do it for country. Theo Walcott is a prime example.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 10 Oct - 3:44

Leave precious, darling Theo alone.

Hat trick v Croatia, and single handedly tore Sweden apart. Injury, and awful management, has hindered him.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 10 Oct - 10:58

am I the only one who thought Wilshere had a good game yesterday?? First half not great but after the break he was very good indeed, should have had three assists (the two passes for Rooney where he messed up, and the chip for Ox who didn't get a proper connection with his header). His passing in the second half was exactly what I felt England had been missing in the first, so maybe he will be suited to that position?

As Mike says, suggesting Nolan or Huddlestone seems a little bit silly: both fine servants to their PL clubs, but nowhere near good enough for international level... Anyway, can't really take much from yesterday, Rooney annoyed me at the time (more the selfishness in attempting two ridiculous volleys than the wastefulness which can happen), but really 5-0, no injury worried, it's pretty much job done.

The worry of course (even more so with Switzerland's slip-up yesterday) is that England are pretty much already guaranteed top spot in their group, and have no meaningful games left in the qualifiers (maybe Switzerland at home).

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 10 Oct - 14:00

They need to do something about European qualifying, it's a bit of a joke now, maybe bring in a small elite tournament inbetween the world cup and Euros?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Oct - 15:12

Gianni Infantino, you know that bald geezer who presents all the draws for FIFA said this,“The effect of 24 teams qualifying makes almost all the teams think they have a chance to qualify and that has created a new dynamic. We saw Cyprus beating Bosnia, the Czech Republic beating the Netherlands, Albania beating Portugal in Portugal. It creates a new dynamic and it can make the qualification process even more interesting.”

picard picard picard picard picard picard

I guess, if you questioned him on this, his reply would be, ''Look at what happened to Spain....how exciting'', & then he would of done some kind of dance or something.

The format is a joke & anyone with half a brain knows it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 10 Oct - 15:28

Ridiculous format. Be surprised if we concede in the group now.

No idea why Clyne didnt play, why Milner played at all, why you bother with Jagielka if Chambers can play centre back anyway. Shelvey and Clyne should have got game time.

Poor old Nobes

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Oct - 16:14

"am I the only one who thought Wilshere had a good game yesterday??"

No you are not- most of the country that saw the second half saw he was the legitimate MOTM.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Oct - 16:17

Hammersmith harrier wrote:They need to do something about European qualifying, it's a bit of a joke now, maybe bring in a small elite tournament inbetween the world cup and Euros?

pre qualifying for the bottom 15 European clubs and only 5 get through would be one solution.

If the format was still 16 teams- we could knock out more from the pre qualification process. But as it stands at 24- we need other teams to play in the qualifying games. But getting rid of the worst 10 would be a start

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Oct - 18:58

I didn't realise how many good players are playing at under 21 level.. We are all over them as well. I expect the come back

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 10 Oct - 19:00

mystiroakey wrote:"am I the only one who thought Wilshere had a good game yesterday??"

No you are not- most of the country that saw the second half saw he was the legitimate MOTM.

thank goodness, thought I was going crazy for a moment! Seriously though, Wilshere played some great passes in that second half (three should have led to goals), exactly (part of) what we need from the base of the diamond.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 11 Oct - 14:08

Sounds harsh on Wilshere but it was against San Marino in a pointless game that the players didn't seem to care about, he played well but who cares?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 11 Oct - 14:20

His form this season is showing good signs.

as i said last time i said he had a good game- he also did in the previous few- but ultimately you are right its only san marino

the only tests he will have from here on in are the big PL or CL games. But maybe he can play back of the diamond- because even against san marino it didn't work with hendo.. as soon as the switch happened we were a different team.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 11 Oct - 15:08

Milner was playing the base of the diamond majority of the game. Not that tactics mattered, we quite easily could have played Townsend and Ox as left and right back considering the full backs didnt need to defend once

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 11 Oct - 15:26

Sorry I meant milner..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Oct - 22:13

John wrote:Gianni Infantino, you know that bald geezer who presents all the draws for FIFA said this,“The effect of 24 teams qualifying makes almost all the teams think they have a chance to qualify and that has created a new dynamic. We saw Cyprus beating Bosnia, the Czech Republic beating the Netherlands, Albania beating Portugal in Portugal. It creates a new dynamic and it can make the qualification process even more interesting.”

picard  picard  picard  picard  picard  picard

I guess, if you questioned him on this, his reply would be, ''Look at what happened to Spain....how exciting'', & then he would of done some kind of dance or something.

The format is a joke & anyone with half a brain knows it.

Maybe Gianni & Platini are right all along. It really is truly exciting, apart from our group. Poland 2-0 Germany Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 12 Oct - 2:11

We can win Euro 2016, you know.

There is no team that should scare us, and you look at how Danny Welbeck got the golden boot in this season's Premier League and...oh wait...sorry I am just twenty months too early!

Comfortable today, yes? Estonia do not seem to amount to much, although they did get a home draw versus the Dutch recently.

Mind you, given how Netherlands were losing at home to Kazakhstan for an extended period of time, I do not think they amount to much either!

I will go for a 0-3 England win, and one that shall be especially routine. At least it will be another step on the stroll to Paris.

Good old England will not make heavy weather of reaching the land of baguettes and strange hats; much unlike the Dutch, the Germans, and the Portuguese.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more: Come on England!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 12 Oct - 12:16

Duty we didn't win the World Cup as you thought, we were laughable. Wake up we're not winning anything, anytime soon.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 12 Oct - 16:23

True, Germany won the World Cup, just as my first impression told me they would.

Maybe I should base more on my first impressions - in that instance, I think France will win Euro 2016. Or maybe I have just been seduced by the talents of Pogba?

Let us just get today over with, first of all. Sterling rested, so Lallana gets a chance.

Make it routine, England. No drama!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 12 Oct - 16:27

Estonia: Pareiko, Jaager, Morozov, Klavan, Pikk, Mets, Antonov, Vunk, Vassiljev, Zenjov, Anier. Subs: Aksalu, Lindpere, Barengrub, Kruglov, Dmitrijev, Saag, Hunt, Ojamaa, Kams, Artjunin, Teniste, Londak.

England: Hart, Chambers, Cahill, Jagielka, Baines, Henderson, Wilshere, Delph, Lallana, Welbeck, Rooney. Subs: Foster, Clyne, Gibbs, Shelvey, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Townsend, Sterling, Lambert, Forster

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 12 Oct - 16:34

Clyne should be playing. Chambers looked dreadful v San Marino. He should be CB or benched.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Oct - 17:46

Yeah, Clyne for Chambers is a must for me, let's see what he can do. We just look predictable, no real pace or cutting edge without Sterling or Sturridge. Estonia are about as good as San marino on this showing. Dire stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 12 Oct - 17:47

Lallana sucks
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 12 Oct - 18:31

Rooney just scored Crying or Very sad

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 12 Oct - 19:00

80% possession. And 25 shots. Should have been more than 1-0 .But if that's our slip up , its better than every other teams slip ups!! ..... So far.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 12 Oct - 19:14

Chambers is awful. The diamond will not work against high calibre opposition. Rooney's first touch has, somehow, got worse.

But a win is a win, and I am £100 up on this game.

So let us be cheerful! Well done England.

Three down, seven to go. #strolltoParis

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 12 Oct - 19:15

Duty281 wrote:We can win Euro 2016, you know.

There is no team that should scare us

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

Why do you always come out with this drivel?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 12 Oct - 19:19

super_realist wrote:

Um...were you not aware that that was sarcasm? I thought the Danny Welbeck line highlighted that.

Oh dear. Laugh

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 12 Oct - 19:21

Jack was the only player to play decent again. good signs for the lad. the amount of chances he created in the last two games must be in to double figures(which is some ask against any opposition)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 12 Oct - 19:22

Hard to tell among your usual relentless straw clutching.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 12 Oct - 19:28

Duty281 wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Um...were you not aware that that was sarcasm?
Given your previous form on how great England are at football it is rather difficult to know when you are being serious or not to be honest

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 12 Oct - 19:58

I have never said we are great; merely I have highlighted how the current era of international football is not up to a high standard, and that England can seek to exploit that.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 12 Oct - 20:06

I think we have a fighting chance at doing ok.. The fans will be over there in droves. I will be one of them for sure..

I cant wait- But these qualifying games could become a drag.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 12 Oct - 20:23

Qualifying is going to be a real problem from here on in, every game will play out the same; the opposition putting ten men behind the ball at all times, our friendlies will probably give a better indication.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 12 Oct - 20:27

As a palace fan I know how hard a much better team can have against us when pulls was our manager..

Managers are cottoning on to how to do it in all forms of the game these days.

I cant remember england ever having 80% possession against any team. Yet we only won 1 nil. It was just like palace v city last season.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun 12 Oct - 20:41

A wins a win. Be positive, we're not Spain. 
Few things I don't understand, Clyne started ahead of Chambers at Southampton last season, why not England? Also Sterling too tired to play? What a poor excuse.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 12 Oct - 20:47

I think Rodgers has one over Woy , which is worrying me big time.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Oct - 22:20

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Qualifying is going to be a real problem from here on in, every game will play out the same; the opposition putting ten men behind the ball at all times, our friendlies will probably give a better indication.

Agree, no indication of where we are until we see some friendlies but even then, you don't get a real perspective, like when Germany played their B side at Wembley. Offensively we look okay & have great options & have Barkley/Sturridge returning but the defence, who won't be tested at all during this campaign, I fear, will be trusted again by Roy, however, they will be found out massively at the Euro's. Jagielka isn't good enough as proven at the WC, Baines isnt a great defender & the the RB position is being filled by the shocking Chambers & Roy refuses to play alternatives from minor clubs. The diamond will get blown away by better sides, Wilshere holding will end in tears, defensively we will be vulnerable.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 12 Oct - 22:26

wilshire isnt holding - he is just playing at the base of the diamond- but we need that top quality centre back pairing or we would need a proper holding MF.

so its a tough one. We need one of the man u lads to really find his feet this year to go alongside Cahil- I cant see where else we will find one that roy would pick.

Jag is not the solution.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Oct - 22:34

Agree with John. More worried about us defensively, than offensively. This easy group just gives Jagielka a jail free card because he's not good enough for major tournaments. Lallana also for me isn't good enough, why does everyone keep banging on about his nice touches? Yeah, it's pretty to watch but where's the impact? Chambers is also not a fullback, Roy making a horror mistake persisting with him.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 12 Oct - 22:40

Ox, Walcott , sterling and Barkley if fit pushes lallana out . but he is still a good squad player . I am not concerned if we can get 3 of the before fit for the EC.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 12 Oct - 23:19

Why oh why is there a big article on BBC Sport asking if Rooney is world-class?

He was absolutely woeful today, except for the free-kick. His touch was atrocious, and he dragged the tempo right down for England time and again.

I would be a lot more upbeat on England's chances if he was not present in the squad. Particularly when his guaranteed inclusion is keeping out younger talent, who actually deserve a go.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 12 Oct - 23:21

The problem with Lallana is his lack of pace, against a team that defends so deep and compact he becomes toothless.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next