The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Day 7

+15
Josiah Maiestas
HM Murdock
Silver
biugo
JuliusHMarx
summerblues
laverfan
Jahu
kingraf
bogbrush
The Special Juan
LuvSports!
lags72
lydian
invisiblecoolers
19 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

US Open Day 7 Empty US Open Day 7

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 31 Aug 2014, 4:41 am

Scintillating Sunday ahead , big stars, some great matcups, battle of next generation, you name it all we got it tomorrow.

@ Arthur Ashe

1]Maria Sharapova vs Wozniacki [Battle of Former No.1's]

2]Granollers vs Federer

3]Bencic vs Jankovic

4]Dimitrov vs Goffin [Battle of Lightweights]

@Armstrong

5]Simon Giles vs David Ferrer [Battle of Grinders]

6]Berdych vs Gabashvilli [Teymuraz has done it in the past beating top 5 player in a slam, a lighter version of Roddick]

7]Monfils vs Gasquet [Battle of French Mens]

Other courts

8]Cilic vs Anderson [Battle of Servers]

9]Lopez vs Thiem [Battle of Underdogs]

10]Safarova vs Peng

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 7 Empty Re: US Open Day 7

Post by lydian Sun 31 Aug 2014, 9:22 am

Dimitrov vs Goffin gets the showcase Arthur Ashe night match slot. And rightly so because this should be a great match of aggressive tennis. Plus I disagree with IC, this isn't a battle of lightweights - have you seen Goffin play recently IC? You'll be surprised. This for me is a great match in prospect...both are 23 years old, both still on their ascent, and both are 2 of the best early ball striking shot makers on tour bar none. People should know by now I've held a candle for Goffin for a couple of years now, finally he's starting to realise the talent inside him. Can he make his statement tonight on the biggest stage in tennis?

However, sure Goffin expelled #32 Sousa in straight sets 6-4, 6-2, 6-0 in the 2nd round but this will be a completely different kettle of fish to face Dimitrov. Interestingly both come into USO having lost their last match to Janowicz. Clearly Dimitrov is THE rising star of tennis and Goffin has never beaten a top 10 player so it's a tough call. But Goffin has beaten a near top 10, beating Isner who was #11 at Valencia 2012, 7-6, 4-6, 6-4 on indoor HC. So Goffin can play against the aggressive, big FH, big server types...of which Dimitrov is also one. The two players have met three times before, on clay in 2010 on Challengers or Futures, with the Bulgarian leading 3-0 at the end. Doesn't mean much now though. 

Goffin interestingly said pre-match....
"We've known each other since I was little indeed, I'm excited to face Grigor here in Flushing, this is what I've been looking forward to playing, this kind of game in a magnificent setting, since I chose to become a professional tennis player. I have nothing to lose and believe me, I intend to make life as difficult as possible for Grigor, playing aggressively as I have done all summer. Grigor is a very talented player who knows absolutely everything on a tennis court, but he will still have to run to beat me. Obviously I'm already very satisfied to be reached in 1/16th round, but after all my victories this summer I think that this may just be the right time to play a top-10 because I trust that I have the ability to play a great game and I believe it. I think I am able to disrupt his game. Yes the three games in 2010 were tight but mean little to me today"

Goffin is for sure riding on a renewed cloud of confidence since the beginning of July. You feel his quiet demeanour has completely changed over these past 2 months. In an interview yesterday he was much bolder than before in describing his objectives. To paraphrase, he doesn't want to just say he's happy with his tournament getting to last 32 but wants to achieve something big. He's not here to simply lose to Dimitrov, he wants to savour the moment and make life very difficult for the Bulgarian. In substance he's no longer afraid to say out loud what he held inside most of his career, i.e. "Yes, I can beat almost everyone and yes, I can do something big in a Grand Slam."

We'll see, a great match in prospect I believe. Despite being a fan of Goffin, who I believe is a top 15-30 player, my head still says Dimitrov to win in 4 sets as feel Goffin simply isn't used to these huge stadium matches with the eyes of the world upon him. I hope I'm proved very wrong of course!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 31 Aug 2014, 9:44 am

Good preview lydian, and without doubt the Match of the Day by a long stretch (just hope it lives up to expectations quality-wise ....)

These two guys are very welcome additions to the top level of the sport, each exciting in different ways. Keen to see how things pan out in this big stage clash.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 31 Aug 2014, 10:17 am

Why do players I like keep playing each other so early!??!? furious

I actually think I want Goffin to win, just because I think Dimi's rise is inevitable and Goffin is more likely to go astray.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 31 Aug 2014, 10:44 am

No one up for a bit of MaSha v Wozzie then? I think MaSha should win that in straight sets because she has the firepower which Wozzie so often struggles against.

In Belinda Bencic the Swiss have found another talented player. I've not seen her play yet but from what I've read she's held in high regard by many journalists. Also, the way she dispatched Kerber 6-1 7-5 is very impressive, at least on paper.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 31 Aug 2014, 11:10 am

Agree, I don't give Wozzie much of a chance, she will be out-hit.

Anyone else find Wozzie's off-court persona pretty boring ....?? She comes across as someone who tries hard to be thought of as really interesting, funny & quirky but in fact ends up creating the completely opposite impression.

(I believe she speaks well of me too ... Cool )

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 31 Aug 2014, 12:40 pm

The line up is wrong, Ashe begins with Errani v Lucic-Baroni.

Dimitrov / Goffin sadly isn't the midnight match, that's with Bencic / Jankovic. Pity, as watching Jankovic is a great cure for insomnia.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 31 Aug 2014, 12:44 pm

Well... MaSha-Wozzy depends so much on whether or not Dimi really did give MaSha a goodnight hug... I love C-Woz, but I think she's going home in straights... again. To an empty house... My offer to be there for her still stands.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 31 Aug 2014, 1:08 pm

Quite BB, plus Jankovic looks like a bloke in drag...

US Open Day 7 Image23

Last edited by lydian on Sun 31 Aug 2014, 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 31 Aug 2014, 1:13 pm

Yeah, the one who lost the drag race.

She lives in Dubai, was on a plain with Janko once, in Economy, she was wearing a winter down jacket on 48C temp., and fell asleep lying down on 3 seats.

Face same as a wood log gone wrong on the mill.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 31 Aug 2014, 1:14 pm

Wouldn't want to meet her on a dark night...or even a light night!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 31 Aug 2014, 1:16 pm

lydian wrote:Wouldn't want to meet her on a dark night...or even a light night!

Jahu yesterday made a comment re Mr. Serena. Wink

Roddick had an inferiority complex because his biceps were smaller than hers. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 31 Aug 2014, 1:19 pm

LuvSports! wrote:I actually think I want Goffin to win, just because I think Dimi's rise is inevitable and Goffin is more likely to go astray.

Goffin has been astray once already. Wink He has been a bit more consistent. This is Dimitorv's to lose.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 31 Aug 2014, 1:19 pm

lydian wrote:Dimitrov vs Goffin gets the showcase Arthur Ashe night match slot.
USO puts what they consider marquee matches on during the day session on the middle weekend (Sat, Sun, Mon) because of TV interests, so getting the night slot suggests they view this match as second-tier.

But from my personal perspective, I agree this will be the most interesting match today. I admit I have not seen Goffin since his breakthrough at RG so I do not know what to expect. Still, my hunch is that the result will depend on Dimi - if he is playing well he will win.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 31 Aug 2014, 1:25 pm

The contrasts of Serbian tennis.

"Give me a kiss, oh pretty one..."
US Open Day 7 Image24
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 31 Aug 2014, 1:26 pm

laverfan wrote:
lydian wrote:Wouldn't want to meet her on a dark night...or even a light night!

Jahu yesterday made a comment re Mr. Serena. Wink

Roddick had an inferiority complex because his biceps were smaller than hers. Laugh

God sake, you are worst then me US Open Day 7 1347041234
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 31 Aug 2014, 1:28 pm

lydian wrote:The contrasts of Serbian tennis.

"Give me a kiss, oh pretty one..."
US Open Day 7 Image24

Forcing here, and a little yellow nipp there for decoration...
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 31 Aug 2014, 1:28 pm

Interesting info summerblues, still the main one for me.
Agree, it's on Dimi's racquet, just hope Goffin plays to his ability, doesn't get overawed by the situation, and then we see what's possible.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 31 Aug 2014, 1:29 pm

LuvSports! wrote:I actually think I want Goffin to win, just because I think Dimi's rise is inevitable and Goffin is more likely to go astray.
Also, because neither is allowed to go beyond QF and a QF showing would be really great for Goffin but would not mean that much for Dimi Wink

Seriously though, I will root for Dimi. I have not seen enough of Goffin to know if I really am a fan.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 31 Aug 2014, 1:30 pm

Like the Goff, but Im hoping for a Dimi-Fed clash, yeah might be boring, but might be a page turner for Dimi too, if he beats the papi.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 31 Aug 2014, 1:34 pm

lydian wrote:Interesting info summerblues
I suppose I should add that I did not see it stated like that officially, it is just my conclusion based on what scheduling I have seen over the years. Even looking at yesterday - daytime Ash had Serena and Nole, and all kinds of Americans.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 31 Aug 2014, 1:37 pm

SB, here's a training session with Nishikori at IW13 when he was nowhere near hitting the ball as well as he's doing now...nonetheless, the quality of Goffin's slices for a DHBH player is outstanding, and such a clean hitter of a ball IMO.

lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 31 Aug 2014, 1:47 pm

Goffin certainly put together a pretty impressive set of results this summer, so he must be doing something right. Anyway, I am quite looking forward to the match - both because I enjoy watching Dimi and because I want to have a close look at Goffin.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 31 Aug 2014, 2:47 pm

summerblues wrote:
lydian wrote:Interesting info summerblues
I suppose I should add that I did not see it stated like that officially, it is just my conclusion based on what scheduling I have seen over the years.  Even looking at yesterday - daytime Ash had Serena and Nole, and all kinds of Americans.

That is also due to CBS wanting to show US players and then switch to Football (sic) in the evening.

The Kyrgios-Robredo match was pretty good for a second-tier match.

Goffin was 25-0 in a couple of Challengers before losing to Janowicz at Winston-Salem.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/David-Goffin.aspx?t=pa

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 31 Aug 2014, 2:58 pm

@ Lyd

I myself is a Goffin fan, but he is too light to make any real impression, he got the skill sets and one of the most exciting players to watch when on song but how is he gonna survive the physical demands of modern ATP tour only GOD knows.

Not a fan of Dimitrov at all, I am actualy bracketing him with Gasquet [just my opinion coz I am not a fan of him].

So I remain firm with tag battle of Light weights.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 31 Aug 2014, 3:16 pm

LF, Kyrgios - Robredo was my favorite match of the day yesterday.

I went to the USO yesterday for the day session. I only got grounds pass because I expected (correctly) that Ashe would be full of one-sided matches featuring top seeds, and of second tier American players.

Grounds pass gets me to all courts except Ashe (though not the very best seats at Armstrong) and, as expected, Armstrong action was far more interesting than Ashe - even with Stan's walkover win.

This was the first time I got to see Andy live. I thought he was ok yesterday but not great - but he did not need to be as his opponent was making too many errors.

I also like to go to Court 17. For men's third round days, they usually put one match there. They will put a lower seed there but that means they can have two players seeded around 15-30 play each other, which can actually be pretty interesting. And one gets to watch that from a pretty good seat as the court 17 is not huge and all seats are decent, plus it is usually not full either.

Isner vs Kohli was quite entertaining. Every time I watch Isner I find myself surprised that, for a big server, I find him quite watchable. And I quite like Kohli. Kohli did very well to win. He was getting nowhere on Isner's serve, in spite of being far superior once rallies started, while Isner had good many break points that he just could not convert.

But in tie-breaks, Kohli found a way. The first tie break I was especially impressed - he changed his strategy and played quite a bit more agressive than throughout most of the set and I think that worked. In all, I think Kohli lost just one point on his serve in all three tie breaks combined (if I remember correctly). By late 3rd set, Isner started to look tired so after that I did not think he would win.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 31 Aug 2014, 3:20 pm

summerblues wrote:LF, Kyrgios - Robredo was my favorite match of the day yesterday.

I went to the USO yesterday for the day session.  I only got grounds pass because I expected (correctly) that Ashe would be full of one-sided matches featuring top seeds, and of second tier American players.

Grounds pass gets me to all courts except Ashe (though not the very best seats at Armstrong) and, as expected, Armstrong action was far more interesting than Ashe - even with Stan's walkover win.

This was the first time I got to see Andy live.  I thought he was ok yesterday but not great - but he did not need to be as his opponent was making too many errors.

I also like to go to Court 17.  For men's third round days, they usually put one match there.  They will put a lower seed there but that means they can have two players seeded around 15-30 play each other, which can actually be pretty interesting.  And one gets to watch that from a pretty good seat as the court 17 is not huge and all seats are decent, plus it is usually not full either.

Isner vs Kohli was quite entertaining.  Every time I watch Isner I find myself surprised that, for a big server, I find him quite watchable.  And I quite like Kohli.  Kohli did very well to win.  He was getting nowhere on Isner's serve, in spite of being far superior once rallies started, while Isner had good many break points that he just could not convert.

But in tie-breaks, Kohli found a way.  The first tie break I was especially impressed - he changed his strategy and played quite a bit more agressive than throughout most of the set and I think that worked.  In all, I think Kohli lost just one point on his serve in all three tie breaks combined (if I remember correctly).  By late 3rd set, Isner started to look tired so after that I did not think he would win.

Did you watch the Nick- Tommy match? such a heart breaker for the kid, he played awesome but could weather the tough moments and Robredo was fantastic on defense right from the start and excellent attack in the later stages of the match specially his forehand. Boredo used all his experience to tame the kid off and eventually won it with ease.

Something the Kid will have to learn how to over come tough phases in between games in a match.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 31 Aug 2014, 3:25 pm

Kyrgios-Robredo was great, for the first three sets anyway. Second set was as good as I've seen all year.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 31 Aug 2014, 3:49 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:Did you watch the Nick- Tommy match?
No, I did not have tickets for that - that was a night match on Ashe.  I did catch the fourth set at home but by then it was all one-way traffic.  TBH, I expected Robredo to be a bridge too far for Kyrgios.  In some sense I even expected the storyline to be the way it ended up being - Nick playing well enough to give Tommy plenty of trouble but in the end Robredo being wily enough to find a way through.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 31 Aug 2014, 4:48 pm

IC, when anyone on here calls any pro tennis player in the top 50 or so lightweight I really have to laugh at their naïvety of the tour. Do you know just how small the margins are between a top 50 and top 5 player...and compared to all other players outside the top 200? Calling a top 50 player lightweight is disrespectful to the years of hard slog they've already put into the sport to get where they are. Do you have any idea of just what it takes to become pro at any level, never mind get to the top 50???

Re: "lightweight", Goffin played 4 weeks on the bounce winning 20 matches consecutively and winning them all for the loss of 2 sets. That means he then flew on Monday morning to the following tournament 3 times and won the event. He's recently beaten the following hard hitters...Kohlschreiber, Thiem, Melzer, Nieminen twice and L.Mayer (who beat Dimitrov at USO last year BTW). What is exactly lightweight about that? Show some respect to these guys...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 31 Aug 2014, 5:02 pm

I think IC meant physically 'light' i.e. 5' 11'', less than 11 stone. Is that enough to get to the very top of the game these days? Not 'lightweight' is in terms of how good he is.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 31 Aug 2014, 5:05 pm

Is Goffin up to 5'11 now? The better you become, the taller you grow. By 2016, he'll be 6'3
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Sun 31 Aug 2014, 5:08 pm

Simon is ahead 1 set and 1 break, having 3/3 on break points... While Ferrer is 0/3 Shocked
Apparently, Ferrer got broken each time with a UE

Last edited by biugo on Sun 31 Aug 2014, 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 31 Aug 2014, 5:08 pm

Pusher looks to be outlasting Ferrer. Berdych will be happy.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 31 Aug 2014, 5:36 pm

Forgot, 'outlasting' takes at least 4 hours in his case.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 31 Aug 2014, 5:39 pm

Has Daveed switched to Speedo shorts?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 31 Aug 2014, 6:06 pm

I've quite enjoyed.Simon these past two or so years. Become a real shotmaker. Well... sorta
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 31 Aug 2014, 6:10 pm

Is Ferrer ill?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 31 Aug 2014, 6:31 pm

Hmm. I wonder if he can pull it out of the fire? Simon can be a very good player on his day.

I'm taking Robredo to upset Stan tomorrow. Thanks IC for flying his flag while I was away last night thumbsup

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 31 Aug 2014, 6:43 pm

Sharapova breaks back predictably. It was pre written in the prehistoric days of kindergarten.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 31 Aug 2014, 6:49 pm

Sharspova's screeching is quite loud. My girlfriend is studying dammit!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 31 Aug 2014, 6:57 pm

Ferrer might not have legs to mount a comeback.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 31 Aug 2014, 7:00 pm

Simon!!! Very Happy

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 31 Aug 2014, 7:00 pm

He's gone then.

Berdych looking the darkest of horses.....
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 31 Aug 2014, 7:05 pm

kingraf wrote: Sharspova's screeching is quite loud. My girlfriend is studying dammit!

Turn down the TV Smile

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 31 Aug 2014, 7:09 pm

Good stuff Caroline.

Far too good for Rory Smile
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 31 Aug 2014, 7:12 pm

Melt her like a sugar..pova.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 31 Aug 2014, 7:35 pm

Silver wrote:
kingraf wrote: Sharspova's screeching is quite loud. My girlfriend is studying dammit!

Turn down the TV Smile

I'm secretly hoping she decides the noise is too much for her and stops studying so we can engage in a nighttime hug Wink
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 31 Aug 2014, 7:38 pm

bogbrush wrote:Good stuff Caroline.

Far too good for Rory Smile

Well... He's won more majors without her than with... while he portion is still the same. Seems a real dame though. Looks a lot like my girlfriend too... About half a foot taller but similar nonetheless.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 31 Aug 2014, 7:40 pm

Masha in customary come-back mode. She seems increasingly dependent on a certain amount of drama to win her matches these days.

Will she pull this one off too ...... chin Almost a given....surely ....!

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next