The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guinness Pro 12. Pathetic excuse for a league?

+33
Dubbelyew L Overate
Gibson
whocares
wayne
Sgt_Pooly
IanBru
Hound of Harrow
Cardiff Dave
JonnyEdinburgh
TJ
The Saint
LordDowlais
Notch
SecretFly
Dorothy_Mantooth
bedfordwelsh
Exiledinborders
ScarletSpiderman
The Great Aukster
VinceWLB
No 7&1/2
Sin é
Neutralee
justified sinner
Kingshu
beshocked
Cyril
Driver
thebandwagonsociety
Scrumpy
lostinwales
HammerofThunor
Jenifer McLadyboy
37 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Guinness Pro 12. Pathetic excuse for a league? - Page 3 Empty Guinness Pro 12. Pathetic excuse for a league?

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:03 am

First topic message reminder :

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro12/guinness-pro12-a-league-of-its-own-and-getting-stronger-all-the-time-1.1915783

Last edited by Jenifer McLadyboy on Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Guinness Pro 12. Pathetic excuse for a league? - Page 3 Empty Re: Guinness Pro 12. Pathetic excuse for a league?

Post by The Saint Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:09 pm

The opinion seems to be the seem among opposition fans (see Scarlets vs Ulster reports on here), so I'd imagine it's the same for coaches.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Guinness Pro 12. Pathetic excuse for a league? - Page 3 Empty Re: Guinness Pro 12. Pathetic excuse for a league?

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:48 pm

He has a point though. He would probably know about the Aviva Prem seeing as he was at London Welsh two seasons ago. It's not bad sportsmanship or whatever, but if you get a try ruled out by an Irish touch judge incorrectly (and if local radio commentators say as much, then it must be pretty true) and then lose by five, I think anybody would feel aggrieved. When you then get decisions like byrne's yellow which looked pretty harsh and a questionable forward pass call too, then I would lean to asking for neutral officials too, instead of calling them up on sheer incompetency.

The officiating on the whole is garbage in our league and I include many welsh in that too. Too many touchjudges are passive (though if they make calls like disallowing Coombs' try, maybe that should remain the case) and there aren't enough top standard refs anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:54 pm

We'll keep a close eye on the rest of the season and judge bias and 'perceptions' of bias accordingly. It'll conclude as it does every season - if you lose, the ref and officials were poor or downright biased - if you win, the ref and officials were probably poor and downright biased to both sides equally, which makes it a fair game and we're willing to live with the win, such as it was Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:35 pm

SecretFly wrote:Do ALL (I mean ALL) AP games have TMO available?  Could someone who knows confirm?

And then maybe someone could do the same for Top14 and Southern Hemisphere club games - ALL games each and every week TMOed?

Thanks in advance?  

A!l AP games are now TMO'd and were last season. Pretty sure it was first trialled fairly late in 2012-13 season. The problem, if there is a problem, was more acute for AP since usually six teams each week were TMOless, whereas in Pro12 it is often just two (or none?).

Dunno about elsewhere.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:56 pm

It was 2011-12 season, first TMO trial match being Glaws v Exeter with Exeter winning from a last minute try awarded by TMO. Apparently it costs about £350k to cover the extra 3 games per week for the season.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:04 pm

Dubbelyew L Overate wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Do ALL (I mean ALL) AP games have TMO available?  Could someone who knows confirm?

And then maybe someone could do the same for Top14 and Southern Hemisphere club games - ALL games each and every week TMOed?

Thanks in advance?  

A!l AP games are now TMO'd and were last season. Pretty sure it was first trialled fairly late in 2012-13 season. The problem, if there is a problem, was more acute for AP since usually six teams each week were TMOless, whereas in Pro12 it is often just two (or none?).

Dunno about elsewhere.

Thanks for the info. It does all come down to money and the number of cameras used at non-televised matches

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:16 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:

Having watched a couple of Pro12 games from the weekend now, I can honestly say that there is more bite in the tackling and at the breakdown. If this is a result of the new Euro qualification then all well and good in terms of improving the spectacle.

However, with heavier collisions comes an increased risk of injury. Poor Noel Reid of Leinster was crocked making a 2nd minute tackle. Will the unions step in and tell players to 'ease off' if injuries mount? Or simply stop them playing.

There may be more bite, but in the 2 live games on sky last weekend, there was a total of 105 missed tackles.

That's pretty incredible.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:18 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
Hound of Harrow wrote:

Having watched a couple of Pro12 games from the weekend now, I can honestly say that there is more bite in the tackling and at the breakdown. If this is a result of the new Euro qualification then all well and good in terms of improving the spectacle.

However, with heavier collisions comes an increased risk of injury. Poor Noel Reid of Leinster was crocked making a 2nd minute tackle. Will the unions step in and tell players to 'ease off' if injuries mount? Or simply stop them playing.

There may be more bite, but in the 2 live games on sky last weekend, there was a total of 105 missed tackles.

Yeah but 104 of those missed tackles were from Scarlets players as Stuart Olding ran past them.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:29 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:
Hound of Harrow wrote:

Yeah but 104 of those missed tackles were from Scarlets players as Stuart Olding ran past them.

True.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:31 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:
Hound of Harrow wrote:

So conservatively assuming each squad used an average of 20 players per game that's an average of 1.3 missed tackles per player. In perfect conditions for running rugby leading to above average numbers of line breaks.
Why is this not credible?

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:36 pm

Submachine wrote:
Chunky Norwich wrote:
Hound of Harrow wrote:

So conservatively assuming each squad used an average of 20 players per game that's an average of 1.3 missed tackles per player. In perfect conditions for running rugby leading to above average numbers of line breaks.
Why is this not credible?

You wouldn't make a good defence coach.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:38 pm

Not too hot on your prospects as an analyst.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:42 pm

I can't be bothered to argue. If you feel 53 missed tackles in a pro game of rugby is the norm, fair play to you.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:15 pm

Chunky Norwich wrote:I can't be bothered to argue. If you feel 53 missed tackles in a pro game of rugby is the norm, fair play to you.

You can't be bothered? Do you understand how forums like this work or do you just want to post your thought provoking comments and opinion and then be ignored? I don't know what the norm is. I would say it is on the high side. Possibly for the REASONS i stated earlier. A slow, low scoring, forwards dominated game in poor conditions will most likley produce fewer missed tackles.
A fast game on a hard track will generally lead to more missed tackles leading to higher scoring matches.
So in summary
Slow game, poor conditions = harder to make breaks = fewer missed tackles
Fast game, good conditions = easier to make breaks = more missed tackles
It's science

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:20 pm

61 of those missed tackles were in the Scarlets Ulster game, a game which I enjoyed btw. 35 of those were by the Scarlets, just because one Welsh.team can't defend it seems a bit much to call the whole league weak.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:02 pm

justified sinner wrote:61 of those missed tackles were in the Scarlets Ulster game, a game which I enjoyed btw. 35 of those were by the Scarlets, just because one Welsh.team can't defend it seems a bit much to call the whole league weak.

We will have to wait and see what happens with missed tackles vrs Ulster in other games. After all missed tackles are partially attacking skill too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:16 pm

The Scarlets' backs were extremely soft at defending, when Ulster's locks walked for their tries nobody bothered to even attempt to tackle them. That was a very enjoyable game though.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:19 pm

Vince that's true. I was just trying to counter the argument that missed tackles means poor defence. A good attacker using good lines etc should break tackles/avoid tackles leading to a higher missed tackle count. Also not attempting a tackle is poor defence, but doesn't count as a missed tackle, some welsh international players have been guilty of that in the past.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:33 pm

Agreed, Glasgow are the perfect example of a great backline defense for the last few seasons, fast line speed and aggressive tackling.

In other news i see the Italians haven't a broadcaster yet (which is why there is no TMO for Treviso-Munster game tonight), as results of the 1st rounds can attest too i definitely think they are holding the league back and are just here to make the numbers.

Hope to be proven wrong though.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:03 pm

wayne wrote:
Hound of Harrow wrote:In the clubhouse at Ealing they have the flags of St. Andrew, St. David, St. George and St. Patrick hanging from the walls.

The club has quite an Irish influence; they play in green and white with orange trim, bank with Allied Irish Bank and have had a few Presidents of Irish descent.

If you are a Bridgend fan I take it the Ospreys are your region. It doesn't always work like that in Wales, I know.
Yes I'm an Osprey ST holder and have been so since the Celtic Warriors disbanded, apart from 2 years when I had heart problems, when I'm up in London next, hopefully I'll call in.

I hope things are ok now. We usually meet in The Wheatsheaf pub in Haven Lane beforehand and get a bus over there.

Be good to see you. One of the Ealing life members is Welsh and the 'Sheaf is his local. PM me whenever you fancy going.
thumbsup

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:13 pm

Gibson wrote:
Hound of Harrow wrote:Aah....I have experienced the noble sport of Drinking in Dublin during the 2013 Euro finals weekend.

Some fine 'sportsmen' that city has. Especially in Cassidys.

guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness guinness

Grand Day Out, eh Hound?

You going to Twickers for the new Heino Final this year mate? I might even let you buy me a pint bro. zen

Aye it sure was a grand day out, and a fair whack raised for a good charity too.

The Amlin evening in Searsons, then the game at the RDS and back to Searsons after was also good craic.

I enjoyed the impromptu singing at Cassidys - very much the locals making their own entertainment.........

Especially in the smoking area.
Laugh

I hope to be at Twickers for next year's final. Same drill beforehand as we did for the 2012 final I would say. But not the Orange Tree afterwards!

Last edited by Hound of Harrow on Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarification)

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:06 pm

Even the "best ref in the world" had a stinker tonight. The Pro 12 refs have no hope.

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:24 am

Risca Rev wrote:Even the "best ref in the world" had a stinker tonight. The Pro 12 refs have no hope.

I do think they're under more pressure due to the tribal nature of the league. Everyone thinks the refs are biased against their team. Having refs of the same nationality as one of the teams is something I'd like to see changed sometime.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:57 am

In the AP, the refs are the same Nationality as both teams! Wink  No hassles there.

Okay that might seem like a joke with that comparison but no, it's pointed.  Every ref comes from somewhere and if they grew up with rugby and played rugby and had favourite sides, well then even in regional terms within one Nation, there is always the opportunity to say a ref might be biased in favour of one team over another.

He might be biased in wanting one team to win so that his favourite side (playing elsewhere) has an easier time in amassing points in the League.  I mean he doesn't have to have a personal vested interest in the two teams he is reffing in specific terms, but he could have a reason to effect a result that might benefit a team being reffed far away from him by another ref.
Also, if you try to say an Italian or Scot should always ref a game against an Irish and Welsh side well there still would arise the concept of bias - as I've distinctly heard over the years the odd Welsh supporter even saying a Scots ref tends to favour the Irish side!  Yes, I've heard that argued openly.

So............................?  Where does that leave us?  The 'bias' accusation will never die, no matter where the ref comes from.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:39 pm

I'm sure we've had French refs doing AP games in the past. And our refs did French games. It was 3-4 seasons ago.

I like most of the French refs as they are very good at reffing the scrum.

Wherever a ref is from, and whatever league they are reffing in, some fans will always blame them if their team lost. No matter that their team got hammered and were useless, it's always 'that biased ref's fault'.

Wink

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:17 pm

I have no issue with the nationalitiy of refs in the Pro 12. Its irrelevant. Its not international competition.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:35 pm

profitius wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:Even the "best ref in the world" had a stinker tonight. The Pro 12 refs have no hope.

I do think they're under more pressure due to the tribal nature of the league. Everyone thinks the refs are biased against their team. Having refs of the same nationality as one of the teams is something I'd like to see changed sometime.

It just can't be done. It was done before, but was a major screw job to the regions, we always had to have a Chanleng ref us against the provinces. Until the Scots/Italians get at leat one semi decent ref we need same nation refs.

Also the ref gets stick for where in their own nation their from. Nigel Owens, a Scarlets fan, shafts us every time to prove neutrality etc. The Irish suffer from refs bias to/again provinces too.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:47 pm

I don't worry about the nationality of the ref. I would much rather be reffed by a good ref from the nation of the team we are playing than a rubbish ref from Ireland. It does seem to me that refs are at pains to prove they are not biased towards their own- I do feel very often with Irish refs reffing us when we are in Wales they are at pains to demonstrate that and they maybe even over-compensate.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:09 pm

I have seen some terribly biased decisions from the local TMO particularly in Italy and Ireland, this must be addressed as soon as possible or scrap the TMO.
Also why a Welsh or Italian wasnt in charge for yesterday game at Murrayfield is beyond me, just because a game involves 2 teams that will probably finish in the bottom half of the league doesn't mean it has to be treated poorly.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:48 pm

I was lucky enough to go to the Aviva double header last week at Twickenham and there were 2 terrible TMO decisions so trust me its not just in our league.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:53 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I was lucky enough to go to the Aviva double header last week at Twickenham and there were 2 terrible TMO decisions so trust me its not just in our league.

Which ones we those? Can't remember any shockers myself.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:58 pm

There were two one in each game then again it may have had something to do with fact that was surrounded by fans on the wrong end of the decisions but they were decisions that could have gone either way.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:04 pm

If through a drunken haze memory serves me right it was Strettles 3rd in last few minutes which looked bit dubious and can't remember what other one was now but at time it seemed a bit iffy or like said could have gone either way.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:07 pm

Leinster cruising to an easy bonus point win at home to Scarlets, getting to give some good experience for players on the fringes of their squad.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:31 pm

Where do the Scarlets go from here? They need a new defense coach anyway...

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:35 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:If through a drunken haze memory serves me right it was Strettles 3rd in last few minutes which looked bit dubious and can't remember what other one was now but at time it seemed a bit iffy or like said could have gone either way.

Strettle's was touch and go but I wouldn't have said it was a terrible decision. From e last angle it was reasonably clear he had just stroked the line before the ball was pulled up.

But there are terrible decisions, many of them probably.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:25 pm

TJ wrote:I have no issue with the nationalitiy of refs in the Pro 12.  Its irrelevant.  Its not international competition.

Quote of the Day. guinness

Guinness don't sponsor mediocrity. The refs are being held back after class from here on in. Reffing levels are being shifted upwards.  Its in the new PRO12 Constitution.
It must improve to match the level of the players in it. And its a very strong league now player-wise.  As strong as the English and French leagues and far better to watch.

Id rather have a sly whaankk on Maggie Thatcher in her pomp,  than watch the TOP14.  Dreadful fare.  English league is not much better to be honest. Both must do better and stop trying to fock up our game for the lure of hyped-up gold. As it is in soccerball.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:37 pm

Better reffing standards yes - I just believe the nationality of them is irrelevant

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:43 pm

TJ wrote:Better reffing standards yes - I just believe the nationality of them is irrelevant

And you are right TJ.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:12 pm

Our Romanian ref Mitrea had a great game today unbiased and consistent with his calls.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:17 pm

VinceWLB wrote:Our Romanian ref Mitrea had a great game today unbiased and consistent with his calls.
His improvement over the last 12 months has been staggering. He is now easily one of the best refs in the league now imo.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:36 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:Our Romanian ref Mitrea had a great game today unbiased and consistent with his calls.
His improvement over the last 12 months has been staggering. He is now easily one of the best refs in the league now imo.

Agreed he is easily in my top 3, always consistent in his decisions and not afraid to talk to players.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:44 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Where do the Scarlets go from here? They need a new defense coach anyway...

They play Treviso at home next week so plenty of opportunities for them to tighten things up. A lot of teams have early problems though. Ulster and Munster have been hardly very convincing so far either. Glasgow made a great start and then fell asleep in the second half. You have to think that these teams will shake out the rust as they go along.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:45 pm

They've got a new defence guru. Maybe that's the problem that he hasn't got his system implemented fully yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:25 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Where do the Scarlets go from here? They need a new defense coach anyway...

I know Leinster are good, but surely it's an unacceptable scoreline for Scarlets with the team they put out. Actually looked pretty decent on paper. Their defence coach is Wales U20 coach. Under him they went from having one of the best defences in the world at their level, to one of the worst.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:29 pm

To think some Dragons fans moaned that he left our region to head to the Wild West too. Just shows people will grasp at any opportunity to moan.

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:28 pm

Back on topic. I thought Blues Glasgow was a far better game than Wasps Saints.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:35 pm

justified sinner wrote:Back on topic. I thought Blues Glasgow was a far better game than Wasps Saints.

I agree. I watched 4 games this weekend, Toulon / stade, wasps / saints, Edinburgh / cannacht and Glasgow / Blues. Glasgow game the best, Edinburgh were mince, toulon were dull and Wasps / Saints was very negative

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:37 pm

TJ wrote:
justified sinner wrote:Back on topic. I thought Blues Glasgow was a far better game than Wasps Saints.

I agree.  I watched 4 games this weekend,  Toulon / stade, wasps / saints, Edinburgh / cannacht and Glasgow / Blues.  Glasgow game the best, Edinburgh were mince, toulon were dull and Wasps / Saints was very negative
Really? I enjoyed that game a lot.

I guess different strokes for different folks. I've really enjoyed watching Wasps the last few games.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:42 pm

Cyril wrote:
TJ wrote:

I agree.  I watched 4 games this weekend,  Toulon / stade, wasps / saints, Edinburgh / cannacht and Glasgow / Blues.  Glasgow game the best, Edinburgh were mince, toulon were dull and Wasps / Saints was very negative
Really? I enjoyed that game a lot.

I guess different strokes for different folks. I've really enjoyed watching Wasps the last few games.

Ditto (I was even going to say the 'different strokes' but.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next