The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Day 13 Saturday The Men's Semis

+20
zaron
Henman Bill
HM Murdock
biugo
Gerry SA
kingraf
TopoftheChops
LuvSports!
laverfan
Jahu
invisiblecoolers
lydian
Silver
Josiah Maiestas
The Special Juan
summerblues
Born Slippy
hawkeye
socal1976
sirfredperry
24 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

US Open Day 13 Saturday The Men's Semis  - Page 5 Empty US Open Day 13 Saturday The Men's Semis

Post by sirfredperry Sat 6 Sep - 10:02

First topic message reminder :

Well, it's all pointing to a Djoko-Fed final. But can Cilic or Nishikori spring a surprise ? Interesting that, after Fed, Cilic has won the most matches this season. Kei has had two exhausting five-setters but has not had to play since Wednesday, which should be a help.
Some interesting thoughts on another post about the improvement in Cilic's serving. He'll need to do well in that area if he wants to win today.
I think I'm going to plump for a Nole-Rog final. Should Fed win today it would the first season since 2009 he's reached more than one GS final.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 13 Saturday The Men's Semis  - Page 5 Empty Re: US Open Day 13 Saturday The Men's Semis

Post by kingraf Sat 6 Sep - 19:53

This would go down as an all time shock, if it passes.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 13 Saturday The Men's Semis  - Page 5 Empty Re: US Open Day 13 Saturday The Men's Semis

Post by HM Murdock Sat 6 Sep - 19:55

I've watched a lot of Novak down the years and I often get the feeling there's a comeback in him. I'm not getting that right now.

I sense it needs a choke from Kei for Novak to take this.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 6 Sep - 19:58

HM Murdoch wrote:I've watched a lot of Novak down the years and I often get the feeling there's a comeback in him. I'm not getting that right now.

So passive from Novak. Where's the aggression? Kei going for his shots; Djokovic is, on the whole, just keeping the ball in play.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 6 Sep - 19:58

Unless Kei gets a wheelchair like Peng, hard to choke 2 sets in a row.

Hes hitting hard, thought Djoko is a tough git, can get those 10 min extra power boosts he does against Nadal and surprise us, or himself.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 6 Sep - 19:58

Now it will be about the nerves.  Nishi will start feeling he is close.  Can he handle it?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 6 Sep - 19:59

If Djokovic goes out here, only a 1500 point difference between him and Rafa, with Djokovic likely to go on paternity leave (I assume), Would be an absolute miracle.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 6 Sep - 20:01

kingraf wrote:This would go down as an all time shock, if it passes.

First player outside the top 10 to make a final since Soderling in 2009, if it happens. And before him it was Baghdatis in 2006!

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 6 Sep - 20:02

Nole looks out of sorts now. Maybe too tired from Andy's match? Smile

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 6 Sep - 20:03

One game away. Jesus.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 6 Sep - 20:03

Silver wrote:First player outside the top 10 to make a final since Soderling in 2009, if it happens. And before him it was Baghdatis in 2006!
Cilic could be the next.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 6 Sep - 20:03

emancipator wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:I've watched a lot of Novak down the years and I often get the feeling there's a comeback in him. I'm not getting that right now.

So passive from Novak. Where's the aggression? Kei going for his shots; Djokovic is, on the whole, just keeping the ball in play.

Heat, maybe? He's wilted a few times this season. As Lydian once said, the whole stamina thing didn't really come naturally to Nole.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Sat 6 Sep - 20:03

kingraf wrote:If Djokovic goes out here, only a 1500 point difference between him and Rafa, with Djokovic likely to go on paternity leave (I assume), Would be an absolute miracle.
When Nadal withdrew from USO, I actually thought this would become a great opportunity for him to come back for Shanghai/Paris, and be just fresh enough to take home his first WTF (he's not been known for poor returns on business!). Do you think it's expectable?

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 6 Sep - 20:04

Kei do it on his serve, NOW
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 6 Sep - 20:04

2 points awayyyy

Omg what a returnnnn

2 MPPPPPP
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 6 Sep - 20:06

Oh my word. WHAT a performance.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Sat 6 Sep - 20:06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6MlaIe1ljs
Yahoo
now that's an upset!

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 6 Sep - 20:06

Omg god, Kei refussing the hug.

O my holy earthhhh
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 6 Sep - 20:07

Amazing!

What a lovely afternoon of tennis.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 6 Sep - 20:07

Lydian Can u show ur face now Smile Smile

Kei you littlepiece of magic, thanks for proving many doubters wrong.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 6 Sep - 20:07

biugo wrote:
kingraf wrote:If Djokovic goes out here, only a 1500 point difference between him and Rafa, with Djokovic likely to go on paternity leave (I assume), Would be an absolute miracle.
When Nadal withdrew from USO, I actually thought this would become a great opportunity for him to come back for Shanghai/Paris, and be just fresh enough to take home his first WTF (he's not been known for poor returns on business!). Do you think it's expectable?

If he can be bothered (he isn't always)
I think he has more than 1500 points in him between Beijing Shanghai, and Paris.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 6 Sep - 20:08

That was so clutch from Novak on those MPs as well, but it was taken away from him anyway. Insane performance. HM is right, Kei kept his cool brilliantly on the crunch points and kept hammering away into the corners.

Not every day you take out the #1. Well done Kei (so happy for him!) and commiserations to Novak and his fans, he'll be back and firing again.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 6 Sep - 20:09

This guy was a doubt to even play in this tournament, lest we forget! Reminds me of the dream Baghdatis run at AO'06.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 6 Sep - 20:09

Brilliant from Kei. A performance like that in the final and he has a great chance to win!

Not great from Novak. If ever an example was needed why he isn’t in double-digit slams, this is one. A golden opportunity and he couldn’t take it. Very passive today. The death blow was the third set tie break and the start of the 4th. Horrible.

He kind of got a taste of his own medicine – an opponent who moves brilliantly, retrieves everything and plays angles excellently.

Is this the stars aligning for Fed or are we going to get a new slam winner?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Sat 6 Sep - 20:09

[quote="kingraf"][quote="biugo"]
kingraf wrote:
I think he has more than 1500 points in him between Beijing Shanghai, and Paris.
He may have 1500 indeed, but don't forget Fed just yet... The race will be intriguing this year (for #1 and for who'll make it to London, Kei being a serious contender now!)

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 6 Sep - 20:10

This could be the making of Kei - if he can stay fit.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 6 Sep - 20:10

Monfils may truly never get a greater chance to have won a first slam
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 6 Sep - 20:11

Fed and Cilic need to get on quick. 40% chance of rain after an hour. The forecast for the rest of the day is even more grim.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 6 Sep - 20:11

Lets give a big applause to HMM, the Master Fan Hug
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 6 Sep - 20:12

biugo wrote:He may have 1500 indeed, but don't forget Fed just yet...
Indeed, if Fed wins the title here, he will be leading the race - with a friendly part of the season still to come.

But he has not won it yet.  We can have a Cilic-Nishi final.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 6 Sep - 20:13

Silver wrote:This guy was a doubt to even play in this tournament, lest we forget! Reminds me of the dream Baghdatis run at AO'06.

Silver weren't you one of those over analyst and gave Kei no chance Smile Smile

Kei rulezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Hug

Monfils was very unlucky, Cilic may not be, lets cheer the other underdog as well. angel

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 6 Sep - 20:13

Laugh Bye Novak and take your first slam Kei, always said you would win a slam.

Novak didn't know what to do today against the shotmaking of the samurai.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 6 Sep - 20:13

Jahu wrote:Lets give a big applause to HMM,  the Master Fan Hug

Agreed, a class act as ever. Would be great to see a new face win a slam too, as HM said could happen.

This is a bit sad but I feel very cheered after supporting Nish for years, what a superb result for him!

IC: definitely not! Gave him every chance and actually predicted him to make the SF, though admittedly I thought he'd lose today. I was dead wrong Wink

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 6 Sep - 20:14

Yikes, missed the match playing with my kids and because the cable TV man hasn't shown up after a week in the new house. We must have called him about 3 times today. Really have not watched much of this tournament so far...

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 6 Sep - 20:15

HM Murdoch wrote:Brilliant from Kei. A performance like that in the final and he has a great chance to win!

Not great from Novak. If ever an example was needed why he isn’t in double-digit slams, this is one. A golden opportunity and he couldn’t take it. Very passive today. The death blow was the third set tie break and the start of the 4th. Horrible.

He kind of got a taste of his own medicine – an opponent who moves brilliantly, retrieves everything and plays angles excellently.

Is this the stars aligning for Fed or are we going to get a new slam winner?

Sorry for you HMM, but certainly Kei was awesome throughout the tournament, to beat Roanic, Stan and now Djoko is no ordinary feat.

Stars are aligning for Fed to become year end no.1 he will become no.1 in race if he wins the tournament from here on.

But guess what we all gonna cheer the other underdog in Cilic, come on Cilic.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 6 Sep - 20:15

32C, real feel 38C, humid. Not easy and Kei to win it after 2 Five setters, is amazing.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Sat 6 Sep - 20:17

HM Murdoch wrote:Is this the stars aligning for Fed or are we going to get a new slam winner?
A new winner could be fun indeed! US Open Day 13 Saturday The Men's Semis  - Page 5 3933776953 It would make 2014 the transition some were expecting for 2015 (2 slams won by new guys) - and if Fed can't win it, it'll keep Nadal motivated to reach 17 (18 starts to be unfathomable)

HMM, how was Djoko in that 4th set? I'm reading defensive, but he's done so many UE there compared to sets 1-3. Where do you think he lost this match? (I guess he's also not been helped by Kei playing brilliantly and holding up his nerves (amazing btw, I hope he'll continue like this!!))

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 6 Sep - 20:17

Silver wrote:

Agreed, a class act as ever. Would be great to see a new face win a slam too, as HM said could happen.

This is a bit sad but I feel very cheered after supporting Nish for years, what a superb result for him!

IC: definitely not! Gave him every chance and actually predicted him to make the SF, though admittedly I thought he'd lose today. I was dead wrong Wink

Hug

Hug But you agreed to a deal to support the other underdog if Kei wins Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 6 Sep - 20:18

Ha! This one is actually easy to take. Kei was excellent.

I hope this is the making of him. He's probably my favourite of that generation. Much better than Raonic and, I suspect, more potential that Dimitrov.

Michael Chang - Super Coach! Wink

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sat 6 Sep - 20:19

invisiblecoolers wrote: Hug

Hug But you agreed to a deal to support the other underdog if Kei wins Very Happy

Damn right, I'm in Cilic's corner now. Much as I enjoy Federer, I'd love to see a new name on the trophy more Smile

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 6 Sep - 20:20

Jesús, if Kei beats Federer he'd have beaten the #1,2,3 and five seeds. Even if he never won another slam, that would figuratively be the greatest one off slam achievement ever
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 6 Sep - 20:20

Very happy with the result.  I could live with anyone winning it from here on.  Defo would prefer Federer, but could live with either of Cilic or Nishi also.

I said before the match I would not be shocked if Nishi were to win, but I still expected Nole to be the likely winner.  Nishi made it look quite easy in the end.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 6 Sep - 20:22

Rain. If it came earlier, Djoko could of come back...

Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 6 Sep - 20:22

It looks like it is raining there now.  Could still work in Fed's favor if he gets to play later today when it is cooler.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 6 Sep - 20:22

No effort in the last set from Boringovic. "Omg its too hot for me I want to go home Crying or Very sad "

Go and cry and don't come back!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 6 Sep - 20:22

kingraf wrote:Jesús, if Kei beats Federer he'd have beaten the #1,2,3 and five seeds. Even if he never won another slam, that would figuratively be the greatest one off slam achievement ever

I know that would be better than Del Potro's royal streak , 3,2, and 1.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat 6 Sep - 20:23

Race for no 1 is now properly on.

Well done Nishikori. I just read first Asian in a grand slam final. I assume that should be men's singles as we must have had finalists in doubles and women's. I am surprised at that, although I suppose it's true, I cannot think of another one. Good news for the development of the global game.

Federer's route to the title officially now the easiest cakewalk of the last 5-6 years. I bet if you looked up Sampras and Agassi's slams you can find some that were just as easier or easier, and the same probably could be said of most periods in history but the last 5-6 years have been tough. I can't think of one in the last 5-6 years like this. Of course, no slam is ever easy for anyone. He could still easily lose either match.

The Cilic-Federer semi just became a huge match, especially for Cilic. His now or never moment perhaps.

Just hope the cable TV man hurries up to my house.

Last edited by Henman Bill on Sat 6 Sep - 20:25; edited 1 time in total

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 6 Sep - 20:24

biugo wrote:HMM, how was Djoko in that 4th set? I'm reading defensive, but he's done so many UE there compared to sets 1-3.  
Wretched start to give up an early break and then Kei just shut the door on him.

I actually didn't think Novak was terrible, it was just a bit uninspired. A bit safe. I got the impression that he thought if he just hung around, Kei would wilt. That didn't happen.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 6 Sep - 20:28

summerblues wrote:Very happy with the result.  I could live with anyone winning it from here on.  Defo would prefer Federer, but could live with either of Cilic or Nishi also.

I said before the match I would not be shocked if Nishi were to win, but I still expected Nole to be the likely winner.  Nishi made it look quite easy in the end.

Your the winner Summerblues , and hats off for valuating the exact situation. clap

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by biugo Sat 6 Sep - 20:30

HM Murdoch wrote:
biugo wrote:HMM, how was Djoko in that 4th set? I'm reading defensive, but he's done so many UE there compared to sets 1-3.  
Wretched start to give up an early break and then Kei just shut the door on him.

I actually didn't think Novak was terrible, it was just a bit uninspired. A bit safe. I got the impression that he thought if he just hung around, Kei would wilt. That didn't happen.
OK And Djoko will soon be back - maybe that'll tickle him to make another 2011 Wink But I'll be rooting for the new guys, hoping that Kei's performance will inspire the chasing pack "look, it's possible!" Very Happy

biugo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sat 6 Sep - 20:31

Agassi-Connors 1989 QF USO rerun is on Sky.

Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next