The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can the Springboks beat the ABs this weekend?

+26
offload
Taylorman
Rugby Fan
Notch
whocares
The Saint
Rory_Gallagher
RDW
nathan
Mad for Chelsea
TJ
BamBam
LordDowlais
Richard
Knowsit17
rainbow-warrior
SecretFly
disneychilly
FerN
blackcanelion
yappysnap
Cyril
emack2
Biltong
kingraf
fa0019
30 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Can the Springboks beat the ABs this weekend? - Page 6 Empty Can the Springboks beat the ABs this weekend?

Post by fa0019 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 5:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

Here is the team

Springboks – 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cornal Hendricks, 13 Jan Serfontein, 12 Jean de Villiers (c), 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Handré Pollard, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Duane Vermeulen/Schalk Burger, 7 Oupa Mohoje, 6 Marcell Coetzee, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.

Subs: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Marcel van der Merwe, 19 Bakkies Botha, 20 Schalk Burger/Warren Whiteley, 21 Cobus Reinach, 22 Pat Lambie, 23 JP Pietersen.

I look at the side and think they probably did well to beat AUS the way they did. AUS simply ran out of steam.

The forward pack - solid front five but missing Louw, Alberts and maybe Vermeulen... Coetzee & Mohoje are not in the same league as Alberts and Louw and Burger is past his best (20 min cameos are fine but 80 mins is a different issue altogether). Matfield will provide decent ball at the lineout and with Bissie back it will improve IMO. Scrumtime is difficult, Jannie is a bit of a liability. I'd be inclined to bring on vd Merwe sooner rather than later.

Backline - Its slow in the midfield. When you see a youthful Serfontein being outgassed by Ashley-Cooper you know he's short of a few steps. Then add into the mix an ageing JDV and you have a little problem. Hendricks is youthful and Hougaard offers a lot of pace off the ruck but not with his pass.

Rucktime - I think SA may struggle here. Without Flip, Louw and Vermeulen I think they will struggle on the floor against NZ  and a reason why I think Bissie was brought back into the fold over Strauss. If Burger plays he needs to up his intensity and perhaps leave his ball carrying obligations to be the 1st man on the scene securing possession.

NZ - They are clearly a better side but can they keep the intensity up knowing the RC is already in the bag? The boks will be up for this big time, its a one off match, they don't need a record number of tries and they can secure their objective by winning by kicks only if necessary. NZ rarely drop the intensity but perhaps they may go to ellis park saying... how can we top last year???

For my 10 pence worth I think SA will look to strangle NZ and grind out a win..... but with Alberts, Louw, Flip, Du Preez, Vermeulen and no real centre solution at either 12 or 13 I think it may be a bridge too far. AUS were able to exploit their weakness in defence in both games and a more settled side (i.e. well rounded, strong upfront, backline and bench) like ENG in my opinion would turn over this current bok XV.... let alone NZ.

The boks with their best players all fit are a good match for NZ and at home would be expected to win... but with say 6-7 players out I think its unlikely.

It will be a devastating loss also. They have lost 5 matches in a row and if you take out the win in 2011 when NZ sent a 2nd XV to SA, they haven't beaten NZ since 2009. Crazy when you think they have near been the 2nd best team in the world for the duration.

This is such an important match for the boks, said it before... if they can't beat them at home now NZ might as well book their RWC final place as with no victories in this RWC cycle over NZ, how can they get the confidence and belief to win the most important one????

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Can the Springboks beat the ABs this weekend? - Page 6 Empty Re: Can the Springboks beat the ABs this weekend?

Post by Guest Tue 07 Oct 2014, 12:14 pm

The match is over, done and dusted, well done SA. Time to move on indeed. Just another chapter complete.

Back to top Go down

Can the Springboks beat the ABs this weekend? - Page 6 Empty Re: Can the Springboks beat the ABs this weekend?

Post by blackcanelion Tue 07 Oct 2014, 12:22 pm

Biltong wrote:BC, as I said earlier I checked the incident again, it is exactly the same process broadcasters follow in any game, once play came to a halt te highlights of the passage of play was shown, only once.

The repeated views was the TMO after Barnes asked if there was something to see.

I don't really care whether some want to question it, as I cannot see what issue the process has done wrong.

If NZ has an issue with it, then ban big screens, simple as that.

I have said here and on other forums, a close game like that is inevitably decided by a call from a referee, it is the nature of rugby, this time round we were the ones getting the final penalty, we have lost many close games on blatantly wrong or harsh decisions in the past 3 years.

SO we had the bounce of the decision going our way this time, if you ask me, it is about time.

If I had to list you the decisions we have copped since 2011 I will only be told to suck it up and get on with my life. SO I am not even going to try.

SUffice it to say, it is what it is, most AB supporters have been genuine in their congratulations of the SPringbok win, I think there is a solid respect between the teams and fans of these countries, and I don't think that is about to change.

It is logical people will be aggrieved at certain decisions and outcomes, after all we are passionate rugby supporters.

By the way, I started going to the game, Barnes missed a hell of a lot if you take time to look at his decisions.

Not trying to wind you up. I guess we just have a difference if opinion. There's enough articles coming out of SA rugby people and journalists to suggest it's not just me. Saying that, I can appreciate your point of view.

I thought it was a great game and enjoyed it. I am not actually aggrieved that we lost. I think we were outplayed, and good on the boks. I've liked Meyer for a while and have genuine admiration for quite few boks. I think they have some genuine stars. I like what Meyer's doing and he's currently the most successful bok coach statistically of the professional era. He might fall behind Mallet in the next 12 months, r stumble in tournaments, but I still think he's going end up doing exceptionally well.

I've said before I am happy with Barnes calls. that particular one was big, but as you say you get some and don't get others. It's a ok penalty count for us statistically, especially given we are away (that doesn't mean I like Barne's style of refereeing. So this isn't a whinge about losing. It's more I don't want to see any more of these type decisions in rugby going forward, and that includes in NZ (pretty much the same stance as Kaplan).

Smile

Last edited by blackcanelion on Wed 08 Oct 2014, 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Tue 07 Oct 2014, 1:08 pm

FAo please check my posts I Have NOT anywhere suggested Boks would have lost to full
strength AB side on Saturday.

NOR have I made any excuses for that defeat it was richly deserved and I was among the
first to congratulate them.I fully expected the loss always do to the Boks at home.I was
clarifying a post on 2009 sides.

My knowledge of AB v Bok and respect for both sides is vast as you are aware. YOU were
saying prematch an AB win not ME. I hoped they could win yes,had I been Coaching then
yes would have not chanced either Whitelock or Retalick.

Would have had Dominic Bird travel,would have used Cruden, and wouldn't have started
Mealamu.Because his lineout work has always been suspect under pressure but hindsight
is 20/20 isn`t it?

I have never subscribed to the unbeatable side bit, and a great side what ever that is
is judged by how it performs in every match.This current side has a great record does
it make it a great side?or is it made to look good by the other sides losing to it.?

I `m a realist you play each game as it comes then win or lose carry on be gracious in
victory or defeat.EVERY team has there unbeatable runs it comes with the territory.

Blame the Ref been there,done that lived in the real world of home town refs deciding
matches and series .FOR ALL SIDES in the world dubious last minute penalties winning
or saving series.

As to RWC`s there has never been an undeserving winner in ANY of them to think
otherwise is false.

To say side x is the greatest in tournament or final but doesn't win is in the world of what if`s

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard Tue 07 Oct 2014, 5:29 pm

"By the way, I started going to the game, Barnes missed a hell of a lot if you take time to look at his decisions."

Yep - shame only one of them was pointed out on the big screen, by JdV and a shame Barnes was unprofessional enough to rule on it.

Personally I think Barnes has just about enough chances.

Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 07 Oct 2014, 5:32 pm

ghost

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 07 Oct 2014, 6:03 pm

Richard wrote:Personally I think Barnes has just about enough chances.
So have you.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6