The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Golden Era

+5
westisbest
talkingpoint
Dolphin Ziggler
Kay Fabe
jai.roberts
9 posters

Go down

The Golden Era Empty The Golden Era

Post by jai.roberts Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:33 am

What do you remember about the Golden Era ... I started watching WWF in 1992 saw the Rumble which was my first event and was hooked....

I hated Jack Tunney, and watching him back he was awful on the Mic, I like Vince on commentary, it was a proper head screw when he became the owner, obviously I knew nothing about the business then. 

I thought the wrestlers were more defined then..... You hate Million Dollar Man you like Randy Savage ...... (With the exception of Hogan who I always hated)

What are everyones memories of this era????

jai.roberts

Back to top Go down

The Golden Era Empty Re: The Golden Era

Post by Kay Fabe Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:57 am

Started watching around late 1990 early 1991, the 87-92 period for me was the greatest time in Professional Wrestling, Wrestlers were truly individual back then, what they said, the moves they did, allowed to impliment their own style into their characters, I also like the way the lived and breathed kayfabe back then.

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:59 am

I watched old tapes of late 80s early 90s when I was a kid. I loved Hogan, to the extent I cried when he got injured and, at least in the video, went to hospital. Loved Savage, hated Savage, loved Savage. Bret pretty quickly replaced Hogan when he came in and Hulkster left. The Bushwhackers and that walk have never left my memory. Heenan was my voice of wrestling as a child.

Personally, taking off my kid glasses I think the Attitude Era was different level, saturation of television changed the audience but the movesets were vastly improved and the action was much better, the characters had more levels and considering their exposure they pulled in the kayfabe damn well

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:04 am

I got into wrestling in the early 90s, maybe 93 or 94. I remember watching old vhs tapes of all the wrestlemania`s and royal rumbles. I would try and get my hands on any PPV i could. I still miss the red white and blue ropes and the old WWF graphics. I definitely think the characters were more memorable. However, it wasn`t until the Monday Night Wars that I remember following wrestling every week watching both Nitro and Raw and just loving being a wrestling fan. It was an embarrassment of riches in many respects and I still remember that era very fondly. I am proud that I was a wrestling fan during the Monday Night War and am glad I have first hand experience of it. It was a great time to be a fan.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:33 am

Loved survivor series 87 & 88

87-04ish was my favouite time for WWF.

Wrestlemania 7 was one of my favourite's
Enjoyed Summer Slam 90.

Tag teams like, The Rockers, Hart Foundation, Demolition, Powers Of Pain, Hercules & Roma, Nasty Boys, Strike Force, Natural Disasters, LOD, etc.

These teams excited me and looked forward to watching them.

Only teams later on I liked were the Outlaws and E&C.

From 09-12 didnt have sky sports so missed out.

Try to watch it now, but it doesn't excite me.
Am going to watch WWE in Bournemouth though in 2 weeks.

Savage, Warrior, Million Dollar Man, Haku, Steamboat, Andre The Giant, Bad News Brown, Jake 'the snake' Roberts, Tito Santana, The Model Rick Martel, Rugged Ronnie Garvin, Canadian Strong man Dino Bravo, Rick Rude, Mr Perfect, etc.

These were the guys I enjoyed watching.

Did enjoy both DX'S and The Rock, Austin.

The good ole days though were much better for me.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:47 am

I got into wrestling in 1988 and it truly was a brilliant time. You had a wealth of talent that operated the whole card superbly. The Mid-Card and Tag Divisions were just as strong as the Main Event. Seeing the likes of Hogan/Savage/Warrior/Rude/Roberts/Dibiase. Kayfabe was well and truly embraced back then and held such a strong tradition. Wrestling was much more of an art and wrestlers were allowed to do just that, wrestle.

I guess the only little criticism is the gimmicks were too comic like. I know some credit Heyman with making wrestling a bit edgier, but I think WCW started to do that when they had the 4 Horsemen. I think that was the beginning.

See the whole Attitude Era, yes whilst entertaining in some regards, it became less about wrestling and you had quickfire matches. Austin was great and The Rock was too. I think the Undertaker and Kane deserve enormous credit for being able to hang and hold their own in the Attitude Era with their gimmicks as well as Mick Foley for adapting to it. I do always wonder what would've became of Bret Hart had he stayed on. That said I never rated DX. They just never reeked of the appeal the NWO had over in WCW. They didn't bring an edge that was missing. As I say Austin bridged that gap. You look at Austin and NWO and you have to say that both WWE and WCW killed them very quickly. NWO grew too big and was re-branded and re-hashed far too much. The momentum was killed when the Wolfpac was born. Austin effectively was killed at WM17.

The good old days.

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:39 pm

I started watching wrestling in 1998 loved the whole era but i did enjoy watching old vhs tapes of the late 80's loved the million doller man

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:00 pm

I started watching in 1992. That Wrestlemania stuck with me as my favourite for years until I watched it again a few years ago and it didn't have the same appeal.

I agree with the Attitude era being on a different level and, probably a mixture of age, the actual storylines, Austin and the Rock but it's the only time that I can remember where it wasn't shaming to watch Wrestling. Stopped watching not long after Wrestlemania 17 but got back into it in 09 just flicking through the channels. Wished I hadn't though as I couldn't have done something far more constructive with my time.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:31 am

I started watching in 2005, what people ever saw in Hulk Hogan is beyond me

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:57 am

The problem with Hogan is he was well past his prime in 05, and if that was your first experience of him it irreparably damages him from then on.

If you were a fan when Hulkamania was at its peak way back when, likely Hogan will always be one of the greats.

I started watching in 2000, so I had never seen Hogan until 2002 when the nWo turned up. Always been indifferent. Although based on his past few appearances he needs to just let it go, he cant even cut a coheerant promo anymore.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down