The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pocket Rocket

+9
milkyboy
TopHat24/7
jimdig
irishbrads
hazharrison
88Chris05
Rowley
spencerclarke
AdamT
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Pocket Rocket Empty The Pocket Rocket

Post by AdamT Mon 3 Nov 2014 - 21:03

Wayne McCullough sometimes gets a little overlooked as a Brit/Irish great.

Had a fantastic amateur career which rounded off with an Olympic medal. Then turned pro and became World champion. Fought killers like Hamed and Morales and was never genuinely knocked out. Had high levels of stamina and a real chin of granite. I think his main weakness was genuine punch power and wasn't effective against bigger opponents, never demonstrated more than his defeat to Scott Harrison.

Wayne may not be of the highest tier of great fighters from these shores but he sure as hell was one of the most exciting and toughest. The reason of this thread is to give a shout to a good boxer who rarely gets a mention on here.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

The Pocket Rocket Empty Re: The Pocket Rocket

Post by spencerclarke Mon 3 Nov 2014 - 21:26

Always liked McCullough. Solid professional that over achieved in his career. Usually in decent fights too.

Good call Adam.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 3 Nov 2014 - 21:57

Nice guy as well. Some friends of mine lived in Vegas some time ago and got to know Wayne, said he was as approachable and down to earth as you could ever hope to meet.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 3 Nov 2014 - 22:00

Yeah my brother met him said he was a great guy. He maybe did overachive but he goes a little under the radar.

He wasn't afraid of a challenge. Morales certainly rates him

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 3 Nov 2014 - 22:15

Oddly enough, I watched a couple of McCullough's fights a year or so back when those rumours of him making a comeback were doing the rounds. Prior to that I'd really only seen the Hamed fight, although his overall record and reputation for having one of the toughest chins going in the lower weight classes is known by pretty much everyone.

Certainly did things his own way, opting to go out to the States to launch his pro career with a manager who'd never worked in boxing before. Although the chance to work with Eddie Futch wasn't a bad incentive, I'm sure!

Pretty sure the rumours were that he was struggling to make Bantam even before he'd won the title and that he maybe should have moved up to Super-Bantam a little sooner, but you can see why he'd want to get a couple of defences out of the belt before doing so.

I was looking out for the Zaragoza fight when I was taking a look at McCullough, as I love some of Zaragoza's old wars against Banke, Fenech, Morales, but couldn't find it. For those who have seen it - fair enough decision?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Mon 3 Nov 2014 - 22:21

Haven't seen that fight in over 15 years or so. Was watching his fights with Morales and Prince recently. He didn't win a pile of rounds but was very hard working and competitive.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 2:15

The Zaragoza fight was close (McCullough felt aggrieved afterwards). Zaragoza edged the early rounds but was hanging on at the end as McCullough came on like a steam train.

Wonderful win over Yukushiji (on away ground). His wars with Victor Rabanales and Jose Luis Bueno are well worth seeking out if you haven't seen them.

It is a shame he's best remembered for the Hamed and Morales fights where he took his lumps (he had one of the most concrete chin in boxing history) both of which came above his best weight. Nevertheless, he had Hamed on the run down the stretch - made him look distinctly average at times.

McCullough was a fine pressure fighter at bantam with underrated movement (thanks to the schooling he received from Futch).

It was a shame to hear that Wayne and his family were recently abused at an MMA event by Bermane Stiverne - who then attempted to cover his tracks by accusing the McCulloughs of being drunk and racially abusing him (Wayne and his family are confirmed teetotallers). McCullough lodged a complaint with the WBC (good luck with that).

Wayne's as genuine as they come - loves boxing and loves chatting to boxing fans.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 6:28

big big fan of wayne Mc Cullough, have to diasgree that he over acheived, was a great amateur and went on to win a world title, lost to the very best in Morales, naseem etc and no shame in that, don't understand where he over acheived? Gave Naseem one of his toughest fights and this was before naseems decline.

Was hard to watch the harrison fight, harrison was just too big and too strong, still couldn't put mccullough down though, one of the best chins in boxing and as brave as they come.

Coming from northern ireland he avoided the politics in much the same way barry mcguigan did and was appreciated by everyone.

he responds to any questions on twitter and i believe he now works with Tony Jeffries in Box n Burn in LA, i was in Vegas recently and wanted to go up and do a session in box n burn to see if i could get a PT session with him, unfortunately the missus wasn't so keen!!

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 7:34

Does anyone follow Wayne on Facebook? He has posted this thread on his page, says he has the best fans ever. Good publicity for the forum.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 7:56

He used to have a connection with the beeb and old 606, very engaging with the fans. Incredible workfare, 100+ punches every round, for 12 rounds. He was to make a comeback a few years ago against Kiko martinez in Belfast. Wayne makes weight with a couple of pounds to spare, Martinez blows weight and comes in a couple of pounds over. 
Martinez basically didn't want the fight (I don't really know why). Martinez is given the sanctioned time to try and burn the extra pounds. Instead of trying to lose the pounds Martinez starts hydrating in front of everyone, downing a bottle of water. Wayne is fit to blow a gasket. Reporters all around, basically can't believe his eyes, Martinez with a smile on his face bottle to his mouth, Wayne calls the fight off incredulous at kiko's lack of professionalism. 
Then a local reporter has a go at Wayne for being unprofessional and coming in a pound lighter than the agreed weight, trying to argue that it's the exact same thing as what Kiko has done, and heaps all the blame for the fight being cancelled on Wayne. crazy crazy stuff.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by irishbrads Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 8:23

Rowley wrote:Does anyone follow Wayne on Facebook? He has posted this thread on his page, says he has the best fans ever. Good publicity for the forum.

yes i sent him the link

irishbrads

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 8:56

Good job I follow him on Facebook as well. It was the reason I put up the thread because I got the feeling he is sometimes the forgotten man over here, probably partly to do with him settled at Vegas.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 9:01

hazharrison wrote:

It was a shame to hear that Wayne and his family were recently abused at an MMA event by Bermane Stiverne - who then attempted to cover his tracks by accusing the McCulloughs of being drunk and racially abusing him (Wayne and his family are confirmed teetotallers). McCullough lodged a complaint with the WBC (good luck with that).

Saw that spat on Twitter - absolutely disgusting. Made me wish David Haye would make a comback and splatter Berny across the ring (yes, it angered me THAT much!).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 9:03

TopHat24/7 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Saw that spat on Twitter - absolutely disgusting.  Made me wish David Haye would make a comback and splatter Berny across the ring (yes, it angered me THAT much!).

I seen it too. Disgrace because Wayne is a gentleman and as confirmed is not a drinker. To abuse a mans wife shows low class. Hopefully Wilder knocks his head off.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 9:17

People that play the race card like that do more harm than good......and deserve everything they get.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 11:50

Good to see him getting his dues, and I'd agree he does slip under the radar a bit. Perhaps not the most naturally gifted champion, so I can see where the 'over achieving' thoughts come from (maybe 'made the best of what he had' is a better way of putting it). Whichever, one tough guy and one who always gave a great account of himself. Olympic silver medalist and world champion makes for not a bad career really.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 11:55

milkyboy wrote:Good to see him getting his dues, and I'd agree he does slip under the radar a bit. Perhaps not the most naturally gifted champion, so I can see where the 'over achieving' thoughts come from (maybe 'made the best of what he had' is a better way of putting it). Whichever, one tough guy and one who always gave a great account of himself. Olympic silver medalist and world champion makes for not a bad career really.

Exactly how I feel. Just rarley see him get a mention and he was a real good fighter. I Asked him on facebook did Hamed hit him the hardest and he replied morales did from the 1st round through to the 12th.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 12:15

Don't see all the fuss...Lost to the average Zaragoza.......Beat a bunch of fellow average fighters and lost to anything decent he fought.....Harrison, Hamed, Morales....

Who's his best win Bredahl......

Just another alphabet champ.........

Nice guy perhaps...But I don't know him....Lot's of nice guys go home and spank the wife about.....So.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 12:31

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Don't see all the fuss...Lost to the average Zaragoza.......Beat a bunch of fellow average fighters and lost to anything decent he fought.....Harrison, Hamed, Morales....

Nice guy perhaps...But I don't know him....Lot's of nice guys go home and spank the wife about.....So.......

Well, she does love a good spanking truss... And you're too busy down the oyster

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 12:33

Think "the wife" is the name TRUSS gave his Hampton

"Took the wife out in Manchester last night"
"The wife's been making overtures towards the Milkman again!"

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 12:38

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Don't see all the fuss...Lost to the average Zaragoza.......Beat a bunch of fellow average fighters and lost to anything decent he fought.....Harrison, Hamed, Morales....

Gave great fighters a hard time and won a world title away from home. I'd say he was pretty good for this part of the world. In my opinion he made Hamed look a little amatuer at times and made Morales work extremley hard for his victory.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 12:45

Could say the same about Tillis........ Adam mate.........

Gave most of the cream of the 80s a hard night...

Zaragoza was contentious but was he great ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 12:52

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Could say the same about Tillis........ Adam mate.........

Gave most of the cream of the 80s a hard night...

Zaragoza was contentious but was he great ??

Tillis was a good fighter. I do see what your saying Truss. Maybe I'm biased because I'm from the same part of the World as Wayne. Just love to see a no nonsense fighter as tough as him get tore into fighters like Morales and Hamed. Granted he lost both times but he was never out on his feet and was competitive.

Back to what you were saying about Tillis. Think the 80s gets overlooked because of the success of the 70s. Some good fighters. Tubbs was fast, Page was good on his night. Tim Witherspoon had great potential. Also our very own Bruno and Bonecrusher smith. Add Michael Spinks to that list and obviously Holmes and Tyson, you have a great list of heavyweights for a decade. I obviously left a few out. If dome of them guys thought now, they would be champions.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 12:57

Nothing wrong with having heroes Mate............Everytime I see my reflection I get awe-struck too...

But there is a trend ..If a guy is a nice blue collar sort he's loved...........If he's not he's a dirty cherrypicking muppet that fights zombies even If these zombies are considered the best fighter in the division....

Ignorance and stupidity is bliss with many posters on here...........

Present company excepted.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 13:11

I rate Mayweather too mate if that is what your implying. I don't think he is a cherry picker but he has honestly been more careful with his match picking on recent years. Though he hasn't stooped to Mannys level.

Imagine the outcry if Floyd took on Algeri

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 13:22

AdamT wrote:I rate Mayweather too mate if that is what your implying. I don't think he is a cherry picker but he has honestly been more careful with his match picking on recent years. Though he hasn't stooped to Mannys level.

Imagine the outcry if Floyd took on Algeri

Funny thing is like Mayweather-Maidana............Manny is fighting a "World" champ...........and If World titles were so easy to win there would be more than a tiny trickle of them over here..

So I'm not that much against Manny - Alg ............Though he'll win easy..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 13:25

Not saying Algeri is bad but Manny is fighting a jr welterweight when he should be challenging welters if he wants a piece of Floyd.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 13:27

Algieri's eye will go early like Biggs v Tyson..........

That kind of injury is an accident waiting to happen I'm afraid.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 13:41

To be fair Manny is probably looking to make a statement and stop this guy.

If he can do that then the casual fan will be all over the hype of Mayweather vs Manny again. It is still by far and away the biggest fight out there regardless of what some fans might say.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 14:21

They'll never agree on percentage, Mate.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 14:27

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:They'll never agree on percentage, Mate.

You and I know that but the public will still await for it. I think the ship has sailed and both should just take on the best options available. If Floyd wins people say Manny has slipped and already been knocked out by JMM.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 14:35

One respected poster wrote an article stating because Mayweather at "37" struggled to beat a WBA World champion in Maidana.........He shouldn't be top 10..

Forgetting that his Top 10 is full of fighters being slapped about in their early/mid thirties..

I agree Adam........Thing is you can spin any record negatively..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 14:41

Maidana is a physical dirty, relentless fighther who is hard as nails. A fighter like that would always give an older smaller fighter trouble. Credit to Floyd for beating a younger dangerous champion twice.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 14:51

Adam, does the T in your username stand for TRUSS

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 14:53

DAVE667 wrote:Adam, does the T in your username stand for TRUSS

You got me, im talking to myself and am really Truss!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 14:58

I knew it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 15:03

DAVE667 wrote:I knew it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha, I just happen to be a big Mayweather fan as well Dave. I have gave Floyd flak for not fighting Manny and I believe he has carefully matched some of his opponents since De La hoya. Great fighter though and appreciate his skills, just wish he was slightly more ambitious,

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 15:19

Jeez, can't work out whose tongue is further up whose arris.......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 15:20

AdamT wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:Adam, does the T in your username stand for TRUSS

You got me, im talking to myself and am really Truss!

Adam is a good contributor to the weightlifting thread also..

He's almost too good to be true !!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 15:20

lost twin!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 15:21

AdamT wrote:Not saying Algeri is bad but Manny is fighting a jr welterweight when he should be challenging welters if he wants a piece of Floyd.

Indeed, woe betide that Floyd would fight someone out of their natural weight class.........

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 15:21

AdamT wrote:lost twin!

I like you so much..I'll share Dave's Wife with you !! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 15:23

TopHat24/7 wrote:
AdamT wrote:Not saying Algeri is bad but Manny is fighting a jr welterweight when he should be challenging welters if he wants a piece of Floyd.

Indeed, woe betide that Floyd would fight someone out of their natural weight class.........

To be fair I dont really bother defending Floyd anymore or take sides with him or Manny. It is what it is. I'm just a boxing fan that enjoys watching the sport. If people think Mayweather is over hyped or a cherry picker their opinion is welcome. Not everyone is going to agree.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 15:24

I will avoid any slagging or banter on here. If I am insulted I will just Smile

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 15:30

AdamT wrote:I will avoid any slagging or banter on here. If I am insulted I will just Smile

That's what I do Mate....Never get involved in that sort of thing....

Paragon of virtue..... Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 15:38

Im going to have to disagree with you Truss on something to not look like a wee brown noser.

Curry is overrated and doesn't ever belong in the hall of fame Cool

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 15:41

AdamT wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

To be fair I dont really bother defending Floyd anymore or take sides with him or Manny. It is what it is. I'm just a boxing fan that enjoys watching the sport. If people think Mayweather is over hyped or a cherry picker their opinion is welcome. Not everyone is going to agree.

But then you say stuff like this:

AdamT wrote:Maidana is a physical dirty, relentless fighther who is hard as nails. A fighter like that would always give an older smaller fighter trouble. Credit to Floyd for beating a younger dangerous champion twice.

Which sounds contrary to your mooted intentions.

Maidana, 3 losses on his record already against the 3 most decent guys he's fought and had his title courtesy of slapping up a hype job who shouldn't have had it to give away in the first place, is no more credible fight than Algieri.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 15:44

I do give Floyd credit for Maidana. I would rather he had of fought and defeated Manny but Maidana is a good win. What weight class is Algeri?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 16:19

Floyd is like Jazz music.

It not the fighters he's fought......it's the fighters he never fought.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 4 Nov 2014 - 16:31

Maidana is a better fighter than Algieri Toppy, he's also turned into a very Welterweight which levels the playing field a bit.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next