The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Pocket Rocket

+9
milkyboy
TopHat24/7
jimdig
irishbrads
hazharrison
88Chris05
Rowley
spencerclarke
AdamT
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Pocket Rocket - Page 2 Empty The Pocket Rocket

Post by AdamT Mon 03 Nov 2014, 9:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

Wayne McCullough sometimes gets a little overlooked as a Brit/Irish great.

Had a fantastic amateur career which rounded off with an Olympic medal. Then turned pro and became World champion. Fought killers like Hamed and Morales and was never genuinely knocked out. Had high levels of stamina and a real chin of granite. I think his main weakness was genuine punch power and wasn't effective against bigger opponents, never demonstrated more than his defeat to Scott Harrison.

Wayne may not be of the highest tier of great fighters from these shores but he sure as hell was one of the most exciting and toughest. The reason of this thread is to give a shout to a good boxer who rarely gets a mention on here.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

The Pocket Rocket - Page 2 Empty Re: The Pocket Rocket

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:38 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
AdamT wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
AdamT wrote:Not saying Algeri is bad but Manny is fighting a jr welterweight when he should be challenging welters if he wants a piece of Floyd.

Indeed, woe betide that Floyd would fight someone out of their natural weight class.........

To be fair I dont really bother defending Floyd anymore or take sides with him or Manny. It is what it is. I'm just a boxing fan that enjoys watching the sport. If people think Mayweather is over hyped or a cherry picker their opinion is welcome. Not everyone is going to agree.

But then you say stuff like this:

AdamT wrote:Maidana  is a physical dirty, relentless fighther who is hard as nails. A fighter like that would always give an older smaller fighter trouble. Credit to Floyd for beating a younger dangerous champion twice.

Which sounds contrary to your mooted intentions.

Maidana, 3 losses on his record already against the 3 most decent guys he's fought and had his title courtesy of slapping up a hype job who shouldn't have had it to give away in the first place, is no more credible fight than Algieri.

Hype job with three titles at different weights....

You've got to be half decent to do that ...

How pathetic..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:39 pm

Is it not possible to have a thread on here without it becoming a discussion about Floyd?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:40 pm

Rowley wrote:Is it not possible to have a thread on here without it becoming a discussion about Floyd?
You really have to ask?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:40 pm

He's not on my excellent bad decisions thread....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:44 pm

I think Floyd and Manny are such big stars in the sport, and their names so intertwined, that people get a bit too microscopic in comparing who they're fighting sometimes. Seems like there always has to be an angle to argue why one is facing better than the other.

For instance, I really don't see why Algieri coming up from 140 to contest Pacquiao's 147 title is a stick to beat the fight with. Instead of concentrating on weight, I'd prefer to look at this bout in terms of styles. Pacquiao is a very small Welter, Algieri a very big Light-Welter. Chances are that Algieri will weigh more than Pacquiao come fight night; weight isn't going to be a deciding factor in the fight as far as I can see. I actually think that Pacquiao has picked a testing, difficult style and he'll have to be on form to win this as easily as most think he will. Said from the off that Algieri will cause him problems styles-wise and give him a decent fight, and I'm sticking with that (cue Pacquiao knocking ten bells out of him and stopping him early).

That's one area where Pacquiao probably does score points ahead of Floyd in recent years - he has been facing different styles at least. Styles really do make fights, and while a guy like Algieri would probably be child's play for Floyd, he might be well equipped to give Pacquiao problems. Likewise, I think there's a decent case to be made that Manny would have beaten Maidana easier than Floyd did first time out.

None of the above fights can make up for the pair of them not fighting each other a few years back, mind you.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:47 pm

AdamT wrote:I do give Floyd credit for Maidana. I would rather he had of fought and defeated Manny but Maidana is a good win. What weight class is Algeri?

The fight is being held at WW. Algieri's world title is at LWW.

What weight was Alvarez vs what weight was the fight at?
What weight was JMM vs what weight was the fight at?
What word unites both those fights which Floyd denegrated Pac for?

MM had already been beaten 3 times at LWW and, once round aside, Khan had dealt with him comfortably. Why does this suddenly make him a massively creditable opponenent for Floyd at WW? Because he beat a hype-job in his previous fight, who only had his title courtesy of a gifted win over a limited Paulie M?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:47 pm

I'd like to see the fight arranged, they call a press conference to announce it and, given people's disgust that it's about five years too late, all you hear is the scraping of chairs as the assembled press walk out in a state of indifference.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:48 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
AdamT wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
AdamT wrote:Not saying Algeri is bad but Manny is fighting a jr welterweight when he should be challenging welters if he wants a piece of Floyd.

Indeed, woe betide that Floyd would fight someone out of their natural weight class.........

To be fair I dont really bother defending Floyd anymore or take sides with him or Manny. It is what it is. I'm just a boxing fan that enjoys watching the sport. If people think Mayweather is over hyped or a cherry picker their opinion is welcome. Not everyone is going to agree.

But then you say stuff like this:

AdamT wrote:Maidana  is a physical dirty, relentless fighther who is hard as nails. A fighter like that would always give an older smaller fighter trouble. Credit to Floyd for beating a younger dangerous champion twice.

Which sounds contrary to your mooted intentions.

Maidana, 3 losses on his record already against the 3 most decent guys he's fought and had his title courtesy of slapping up a hype job who shouldn't have had it to give away in the first place, is no more credible fight than Algieri.

Hype job with three titles at different weights....

You've got to be half decent to do that ...

How pathetic..

Duke McKenzie

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:49 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
AdamT wrote:I do give Floyd credit for Maidana. I would rather he had of fought and defeated Manny but Maidana is a good win. What weight class is Algeri?

MM had already been beaten 3 times at LWW and, once round aside, Khan had dealt with him comfortably.  Why does this suddenly make him a massively creditable opponenent for Floyd at WW? Because he beat a hype-job in his previous fight, who only had his title courtesy of a gifted win over a limited Paulie M?

Leave it out....................

Algieri is crap and you know it...

Or maybe you don't.........

What happened to the 1 to 606v2 thread......I was enjoying that.

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:53 pm

He's a World Champion.

A statistic you love to spurt out when bigging someone up, even as pathetically as when they're not even champ at the time and you come up with 'future' or 'former' world champion.

He's also unbeaten, and beat Provo for his world title who's at least as good as Paulie M whom Broner beat for his.

Never said he was anything special, said he was as credible as the oft-beaten MM.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 4:55 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:He's a World Champion.

A statistic you love to spurt out when bigging someone up, even as pathetically as when they're not even champ at the time and you come up with 'future' or 'former' world champion.

He's also unbeaten, and beat Provo for his world title who's at least as good as Paulie M whom Broner beat for his.

Never said he was anything special, said he was as credible as the oft-beaten MM.

No he isn't..............Morales, Broner and an unbeaten ortiz ...................Puts him in a higher league...

Stop talking balls.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:04 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

MM had already been beaten 3 times at LWW and, once round aside, Khan had dealt with him comfortably.  Why does this suddenly make him a massively creditable opponenent for Floyd at WW? Because he beat a hype-job in his previous fight, who only had his title courtesy of a gifted win over a limited Paulie M?

Leave it out....................

Algieri is crap and you know it...

Or maybe you don't.........

What happened to the 1 to 606v2 thread......I was enjoying that.
I know, I said something nice to STEFFAN and then he flipped causing the MODs to lock the thread. He's a funny little fella

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:05 pm

You've upset Steffan....

Shame on you... Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:16 pm

No, STEFFAN got upset, I didn't set out to upset him...there's a big difference in my book.

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:32 pm

Bang goes the good publicity Jeff!

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:35 pm

spencerclarke wrote:Bang goes the good publicity Jeff!

Tell me about it, might see if eastside are recruiting!

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:39 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

No he isn't..............Morales, Broner and an unbeaten ortiz ...................Puts him in a higher league...

Stop talking balls.

Khan, Kotelnik, Alexander losses trump that barrel scraping.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:41 pm

Good thread ruined ha!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 6:12 pm

I think 'derailed' is fairer than 'ruined'........ Smile

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 04 Nov 2014, 6:28 pm

Agreed Smile

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 04 Nov 2014, 6:34 pm

Algieri isn't crap. that's a rather disrespectful comment. He's a decent fighter and he beat Prov in his actual weight class. Is this the fight I wanted for Paccy? No, but this is how normal sports work. If two people were going to face each other, and you beat the one, you face the other. It's more an indictment of how badly run boxing is that Algieri beating the guy who was going to face Paccy and then getting a shot is being criticised, and not seen as the next lógical step.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 04 Nov 2014, 6:37 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Stop talking balls.

It doesn't though, Maidana is a far more accomplished fighter than Algieri who only has one fight of note against a face first brawler whom wasn't very good.

Maidana losing to better men than Algieri has faced doesn't prove a thing but beating far better men does at this stage, Broner, Ortiz, Lopez, Soto Karass, Morales and Petrov smashes Provodnikov out the water. A totally pointless fight made by Arum to keep everything in house again.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 04 Nov 2014, 6:41 pm

Anyway gents how do you guys see mccullough getting on with the best of britisg super bantamweights and featherweights of today?

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 04 Nov 2014, 7:15 pm

Hard to say mate. He would be right up there. He's a great boxer and hard as nails. He beats Quigg anyway and Martinez.

Not sure about Frampton. Not going to compare 2 local legends Wink

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 04 Nov 2014, 7:33 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Maidana is a better fighter than Algieri Toppy, he's also turned into a very Welterweight which levels the playing field a bit.

To be fair, that's difficult to judge as Algieri is unbeaten - we don't really know how good he is. If he flattened Pacquiao his stock would rocket.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:16 pm

Judging from what i've seen of him he isn't that great and there is probably more chance of me flattening Pacquiao than Algieri.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:19 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Judging from what i've seen of him he isn't that great and there is probably more chance of me flattening Pacquiao than Algieri.

Everyone said the same when he fought Provodnikov. Stranger things have happened.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:30 pm

In fairness I didn't rate Provodnikov in the slightest and always thought he was there to be outboxed by anyone with a bit of speed, turned out to be right for once.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:34 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:In fairness I didn't rate Provodnikov in the slightest and always thought he was there to be outboxed by anyone with a bit of speed, turned out to be right for once.

Hardly a balanced view of the fight - either man could have had his hand raised. Provodnikov was excellent against Bradley and Alvarado.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:42 pm

He performed well against Alvarado but a brawler with little power was tailor made for him and Bradley only knows what he was playing at that night.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:49 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Stop talking balls.

It doesn't though, Maidana is a far more accomplished fighter than Algieri who only has one fight of note against a face first brawler whom wasn't very good.

Maidana losing to better men than Algieri has faced doesn't prove a thing but beating far better men does at this stage, Broner, Ortiz, Lopez, Soto Karass, Morales and Petrov smashes Provodnikov out the water. A totally pointless fight made by Arum to keep everything in house again.

Morales ancient and washed up, Soto Karass crap, Broner was a hype job at a weight he's never looked good at, Ortiz is a gutless PR job.

No massively meaningful wins but a bunch of losses. On balance he probably is marginally ahead of Algieri, but not enough to be able to slate Pac but toss Floyd's salad.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 04 Nov 2014, 9:16 pm

He's miles ahead of him at the moment Toppy, you can make excuses for any win if you want to try hard enough, you're really scraping the barrel.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 04 Nov 2014, 9:39 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:He performed well against Alvarado but a brawler with little power was tailor made for him and Bradley only knows what he was playing at that night.

He played at "hang on for dear life against a marauding beast".

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 04 Nov 2014, 9:41 pm

For some unknown reason he thought he was the reincarnation of Jake LaMotta and seemed intent on proving his toughness, foolhardy machismo at it's worst. When he chose to box he was winning rounds easily.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 04 Nov 2014, 9:42 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:For some unknown reason he thought he was the reincarnation of Jake LaMotta and seemed intent on proving his toughness, foolhardy machismo at it's worst. When he chose to box he was winning rounds easily.

He didn't win any rounds easily in that fight. Absolute nonsense.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 04 Nov 2014, 9:45 pm

You must have watched a different fight to me then Haz.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue 04 Nov 2014, 9:46 pm

I watched this one:

https://youtu.be/o8TY2EGFDvE

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down