The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs New Zealand 8th November

+69
Heaf
doctor_grey
Artful_Dodger
wrfc1980
majesticimperialman
BigTrevsbigmac
2ndtimeround
nobbled
thomh
maverickmak
aucklandlaurie
nganboy
protea438
Golden
Notch
Nachos Jones
MMaaxx
wolfball
TJ
BamBam
The Saint
stub
emack2
Pete330v2
sirtidychris
Mad for Chelsea
mystiroakey
GavinDragon
jamesandimac
goneagain
EnglishReign
Tiger/Chief
king_carlos
HongKongCherry
pledgeX
kingelderfield
beshocked
nathan
cb
Bathman_in_London
Wi11
SecretFly
Barney McGrew did it
hugehandoff
HQ matt
bedfordwelsh
johnpartle
Duty281
Hound of Harrow
ChequeredJersey
No 7&1/2
Geordie
yappysnap
TobyBryant
bluestonevedder
Sam
Sgt_Pooly
lostinwales
Welly
Cumbrian
gregortree
LondonTiger
WELL-PAST-IT
Wydnej
Poorfour
HammerofThunor
quinsforever
Taylorman
Rugby Fan
73 posters

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

England vs New Zealand 8th November - Page 8 Empty England vs New Zealand 8th November

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 03 Nov 2014, 11:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Thought we might as well have a thread as we'll have the team announcements soon.

I see Myler is out of contention with a mild hamstring strain. Not serious enough to warrant a call-up for Cipriani or Burns, though. Attwood's wife is due to give birth any day, so that clouds the picture a little on his availability.

Hansen is apparently considering Carter and SBW for Twickenham, injury permitting.

England team to play New Zealand

M Brown (Harlequins); S Rokoduguni (Bath), B Barritt (Saracens), K Eastmond (Bath), J May (Gloucester) ; O Farrell (Saracens) , D Care (Harlequins); J Marler (Harlequins), D Hartley (Northampton), D Wilson (Bath), D Attwood (Bath), C Lawes (Northampton), T Wood (Northampton), C Robshaw (Harlequins, capt), B Vunipola (Saracens).

Replacements: R Webber (Bath), M Mullan (Wasps), K Brookes (Newcastle), G Kruis (Saracens), B Morgan (Gloucester), B Youngs (Leicester), G Ford (Bath), A Watson (Bath).

All Blacks (test caps in brackets)

15. Israel Dagg (45)
14. Ben Smith (35)
13. Conrad Smith (83)
12. Sonny Bill Williams (20)
11. Julian Savea (30)
10. Aaron Cruden (36)
9. Aaron Smith (36)
8. Kieran Read (70)
7. Richie McCaw (c) (134)
6. Jerome Kaino (54)
5. Sam Whitelock (60)
4. Brodie Retallick 34)
3. Owen Franks (65)
2. Dane Coles (24)
1. Wyatt Crockett (33)

Reserves:

16. Keven Mealamu (121)
17. Ben Franks (39)
18. Charlie Faumuina (24)
19. Patrick Tuipulotu (5)
20. Liam Messam (37)
21. TJ Perenara (8)
22. Beauden Barrett (26)
23. Ryan Crotty (10)

Last edited by Rugby Fan on Thu 06 Nov 2014, 10:01 am; edited 3 times in total

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

England vs New Zealand 8th November - Page 8 Empty Re: England vs New Zealand 8th November

Post by TJ Sat 08 Nov 2014, 4:44 pm

stub wrote:
nathan wrote:I don't think we'll be ready for next year. World Cup after that we could do really well

You could well be right but don't you think that with a few missing players returning the balance could further shift?

I wouldn't be too despondent. First game of the season for England, NZ coming of the back of a great 4N. England matched them for long periods but kicked far too much ball away

TJ

Back to top Go down

England vs New Zealand 8th November - Page 8 Empty Re: England vs New Zealand 8th November

Post by MMaaxx Sat 08 Nov 2014, 4:44 pm

Well played England but must be disappointed for not really pushing NZ who seemed to walk it comfortably in the end. Closer to a 10 point win for NZ in terms of dominance, so much more clinical and professional. England should have capitalised more on their line out dominance and the amount of kicks NZ missed.

MMaaxx

Location : New place every week, live between SA, Porugal and UK

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 08 Nov 2014, 4:46 pm

TJ wrote:
nathan wrote:They didn't use up all the time, there was time for the kick off still. In the second half England wasn't making any inroads into the New Zealand defence and so it was the safer option.

~Safer but could never lead to the win

It stood as much chance as any other option. We got the try (fortuitous) and got the ball back with one final play. Game was always up in all honesty when they failed to score from the lineout with 5 minutes to go. The first scrum was on 3 minutes to go mark and frankly was the only way we would ever score.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 08 Nov 2014, 4:47 pm

tj, that's incorrect, fact. The ball was in player after the pen try so England could of scored another try

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sat 08 Nov 2014, 4:48 pm

England were starved of possession & position in the 2nd half partly due our pathetic tactical kicking. Never got us out of trouble and kept setting NZ up for their attack. Care, Brown & Farrell must take the lion's share of the responsibility for that. As well as not having a IC that can help out enough here.
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 08 Nov 2014, 4:48 pm

Rugby Fan - the explanation I can think of is that NZ stepped up the intensity and stopped us playing.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sat 08 Nov 2014, 4:55 pm

I thought England pretty good in the first half but ABs off their game and too many penalties. England were in their face and really competing making the rucks hard work for A Smith. ABs tightened up in the 2nd half and played some pretty good wet weather rugby for a while.
ABs left a few points on the field via average kicking. I thought we were hard done by with the yellow card against Coles and no yellow for the offside on the try line by England. Bad luck to Whitelock for the no try. Good last 10 mins by England.
Owens was a bit weird today I thought
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:02 pm

nathan wrote:tj, that's incorrect, fact. The ball was in player after the pen try so England could of scored another try

in 15 seconds? they wasted 5 minutes!

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:04 pm

stub wrote:Rugby Fan - the explanation I can think of is that NZ stepped up the intensity and stopped us playing.

That must be right. If I was a coach, though, I'd want to know where we failed to adapt to that extra pressure

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:04 pm

TJ wrote:
nathan wrote:tj, that's incorrect, fact. The ball was in player after the pen try so England could of scored another try

in 15 seconds?  they wasted 5 minutes!

Not true, but not willing to repeat myself, so if interested read back.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:11 pm

So you guys are prepared to settle for a narrow loss rather than going for the win? Thats disappointing

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:15 pm

TJ wrote:So you guys are prepared to settle for a narrow loss rather than going for the win?  Thats disappointing
I think your chronology of the match is wanting,

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:16 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
stub wrote:Rugby Fan - the explanation I can think of is that NZ stepped up the intensity and stopped us playing.

That must be right. If I was a coach, though, I'd want to know where we failed to adapt to that extra pressure

I agree - if we're going to beat them we've got to keep them under pressure for more than 50 minutes and not allow them to turn the tables. Big ask against a team like NZ though..

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:18 pm

they deserved it. But it doesn't stop it from hurting.

TJ we went for the win- we were 10 points down with 4 mins left - we got the try and conversion in 3 and a half minutes and then had ball position to try and get more points.

no other team could have done more.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:19 pm

TJ wrote:So you guys are prepared to settle for a narrow loss rather than going for the win?  Thats disappointing

How can you go for a win after the game?

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:21 pm

Scoring 2 tries in 3 minutes is hard - especially against such a streetwise team. Englands tactics gave them a chance, slight, but they had the ball and a chance to score a winning try.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:22 pm

Great win aucks, taylor, ebob and the rest.

it started really peeing down hard in the end and your intensity start of the second half did the damage- bth teams were guilty of missing chances, but your never lose attitude won the battle- the war is yet to come.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:27 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:

If they had kicked the pen straight away they would have had 3 mins to score a try to draw. If they had tapped or gone for the lineout and scored a try they would have had a couple of minutes to score again. By opting for the string of scrums they used up all the time

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:32 pm

cheers Mystir, I thought Englands Defence, lineout, goal kicking,scrum and restarts were all better than New Zealands, your right the war is yet to come. but if we had lost to day I think we would have given England some confidence and ascendancy going into the war.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:32 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:

To be honest they showed their experience then.

Completely unfazed by the score or the man in the bin they went through the motions, did what they needed to do and got the try.

England on the other hand looked like rabbits in headlights at the fact we were ahead, went into our shells and tried to kick everything for some insane reason.

Robshaw was outstanding today but he's still no Mccaw, Smit, Johnson or O'Connell

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:33 pm

Given the weather there was a good chance the lineout would be lost. So right call for me. Not only that but there were around 4 penalties given in the 22 which in most cases would have been a yellow.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by maverickmak Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:34 pm

Wood, Care and Farrell... furious thumbsdown

maverickmak

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:35 pm

TJ wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

If they had kicked the pen straight away they would have had 3 mins to score a try to draw.  If they had tapped or gone for the lineout and scored a try they would have had a couple of minutes to score again.  By opting for the string of scrums they used up all the time

You never know England could have got some penalty ties off some those scrums (it does happen), and won the game, but I do admire your 20/20 hindsight.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:36 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:cheers Mystir, I thought Englands Defence, lineout, goal kicking,scrum and restarts were all better than New Zealands, your right the war is yet to come. but if we had lost to day I think we would have given England some confidence and ascendancy going into the war.

I think both sides did better on the restarted when they were kicking. Neither were great when recieving. England's lineout was good. England just couldn't make ground meaning the All Blacks could stay back to comfortably take the kick. Considering the injuries and the new (again) centre partnership, it wasn't too bad I suppose.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:36 pm

TJ wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

If they had kicked the pen straight away they would have had 3 mins to score a try to draw.  If they had tapped or gone for the lineout and scored a try they would have had a couple of minutes to score again.  By opting for the string of scrums they used up all the time

If they d have gone for other options and not scored? They went for what they thought and given the try for me were proved correct.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:48 pm

TJ wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:

It looked to me as if they were going for the win by using one of their strengths, so I don't see where you're coming from with this. Unlucky England I guess, but should win their remaining fixtures IMO.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:50 pm

On the plus side - just how good was Attwood?

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:51 pm

TJ wrote:If they had kicked the pen straight away they would have had 3 mins to score a try to draw.  If they had tapped or gone for the lineout and scored a try they would have had a couple of minutes to score again.  By opting for the string of scrums they used up all the time
You are just being Captain Hindsight.

We needed a try. We were in a good position to get one - especially given we hadn't been scoring them earlier. At that stage of the game, it was always going to come down to how we played our last set of phases. It was always better to need a drop goal or penalty to draw than a converted try target from them. It also meant another try could win.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:54 pm

thomh wrote:On the plus side - just how good was Attwood?

Really good!

Him, Eastmond and Robshaw all did themselves proud. The rest were pretty 50/50, except Wood and Hartley who were poor

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:58 pm

Was Hartley poor? The lineout was excellent all day. They didn't show a replay in the stadium of whatever that penalty the touch judge gave against him was.

Didn't think a huge amount of Eastmond to be honest. Threw a couple of bad left hand passes, one of which Brown still should have taken. Seemed to tackle well though.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sat 08 Nov 2014, 5:59 pm

Agree Wood was anonymous. Is it time to give Haskell a go, especially against a pack like the Boks'?

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Sat 08 Nov 2014, 6:01 pm

Attwood was superb, and I thought Kruis did well too considering everything.

I thought Farrell and Care were both woeful. Needless and aimless kicking from both, and Care kicked away every possession we had from rucks and mauls. Absolutely infuriating.

Why Lancaster insisted on keeping Farrell on the pitch at 12 to accommodate Ford I will never know. Eastmond was more than handling the defensive duties and provides more of an attacking threat than Farrell has in a long while.

Barritt did what was expected. Defended well. Set up May's try with a nice floating pass.

May was great when he got his hands on the ball. Did everything he could without it- chased and defended brilliantly.

I thought the front row replacements were all superb- Mullan and Webber in particular.

Unless Care and Farrell can find something more to offer than completely useless kicks that simply undo all the brilliant work by our pack, they should be benched. Utterly infuriating.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 08 Nov 2014, 6:05 pm

Billy was really good and i think he could have gone on. i take it SL doesnt believe he can last the full 80.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 08 Nov 2014, 6:06 pm

Eddie, don't forget wor keiron.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 08 Nov 2014, 6:07 pm

I thought wood worked hard, was at every breakdown either trying to clear out or steal ball. His 13 tackles were only 4 less than Robshaw. As always he was a prime source of lineout ball including stealing from NZ.

As to Eastmond - did well in defence but offered little in attack. TBH with so much ball being kicked away we saw little from anyone outside the half backs, except for Mays early score.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 08 Nov 2014, 6:07 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Billy was really good and i think he could have gone on. i take it SL doesnt believe he can last the full 80.

Hadn't he taken a knock?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Sat 08 Nov 2014, 6:08 pm

Kieran Brookes GF? He did really well too. Great scrummaging at the end. Want to see him get his hands on the ball too though!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 08 Nov 2014, 6:12 pm

Wood did too little on open play for me, look at the impact of his opposite number. Tackling is one of the most basic attributes to be expected of a flanker, not the only attribute. He took line out ball too but I don't think he's the only one that could do that job.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 08 Nov 2014, 6:15 pm

[quote="LondonTiger"
As to Eastmond - did well in defence but offered little in attack. TBH with so much ball being kicked away we saw little from anyone outside the half backs, except for Mays early score.[/quote]

Agree we didn't see too much of them both but I thought the touches that we did see from the centre pairing were promising, I think the Eastmond/Barrett combo could work for the moment, but please don't put Farrell at 12 again.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 08 Nov 2014, 6:15 pm

yappysnap wrote:Wood did too little on open play for me, look at the impact of his opposite number. Tackling is one of the most basic attributes to be expected of a flanker, not the only attribute. He took line out ball too but I don't think he's the only one that could do that job.

But his job in the team is lineouts, tackles and hitting every ruck and maul. He is not asked to be a runner by doing this he frees up BillyV and Morgan to do the carrying. Selecting anyone else necessitates a change in tactics.

Noit saying we should not make a change - but criticising a player for fulfilling the role assigned to him - to the letter - seems harsh.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Nov 2014, 6:18 pm

Thanks Mystir, felt like a pretty even game overall. Dont think you guys bossed us and the game around or played with as much arrogance as I expected. Sporting arrogance I mean. The twickers atmosphere should frighten the bejesus out of any RWC opponents. Read between the lines on that one.

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sat 08 Nov 2014, 6:20 pm

Not an enjoyable game to watch - not the second half anyway. Too frustrating!
England just coughed up possession too easily.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 08 Nov 2014, 6:21 pm

Not entirely a coincidence we started to lose our way when Lawes went off.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Sat 08 Nov 2014, 6:25 pm

England put in a good shift today from a cold start against a team who have been together for months, 3 points down against the All Blacks 1st game up is no shame.
IMHO you have quality players and one of the best but humblest coaches I have seen. Good luck with the remaining games, you will certainly win something if you can build on today.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat 08 Nov 2014, 6:34 pm

ebop wrote:Thanks Mystir, felt like a pretty even game overall. Dont think you guys bossed us and the game around or played with as much arrogance as I expected. Sporting arrogance I mean. The twickers atmosphere should frighten the bejesus out of any RWC opponents. Read between the lines on that one.

Too subtle for me I'm afraid - any more clues on this one ebop?

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 08 Nov 2014, 6:40 pm

2ndtimeround wrote:England put in a good shift today from a cold start against a team who have been together for months, 3 points down against the All Blacks 1st game up is no shame.
IMHO you have quality players and one of the best but humblest coaches I have seen. Good luck with the remaining games, you will certainly win something if you can build on today.

Thanks OK
A good result really when you think we were missing our first choice props, locks and centres.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Nov 2014, 7:11 pm

Haha, come on stub you know what I mean. It's nothing sinister, just home advantage and 'all' that that entails. It's a healthy one based on today's game but I guess all games are different so it's not to be banked on. It worries me if we get to play you guys. It's home advantage, it's natural, but some are better than others. Who could resist 82,000 people? Not easy. If England make the final, it'd be a tricky game to ref that's for sure. Joubert would be the man (sorry biltong Smile)

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 08 Nov 2014, 7:19 pm

Are you suggesting England got the rub of the green? If so, are you drunk?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sat 08 Nov 2014, 7:24 pm

England absolutely did not get the benefit of the referee today - not by a long way. Dodgy place kicking from NZ counterbalanced that and we didn't deserve to win, but Owens was not in our favour.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sat 08 Nov 2014, 7:24 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
2ndtimeround wrote:England put in a good shift today from a cold start against a team who have been together for months, 3 points down against the All Blacks 1st game up is no shame.

Thanks OK
A good result really when you think we were missing our first choice props, locks and centres.

True we are missing personnel but at this level that's no excuse. Truth - painful though it is - we weren't good enough.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next