The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Abu Dhabi GP Thread - Contains Spoilers

+17
Trebs
Hulking_up
monty junior
JubbaIsle
banbrotam
mystiroakey
Good Golly I'm Olly
owen10ozzy
sportform
Bull
dyrewolfe
TightHEAD
Gerry SA
CaledonianCraig
GSC
liverbnz
Fernando
21 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Abu Dhabi GP Thread - Contains Spoilers Empty Abu Dhabi GP Thread - Contains Spoilers

Post by Fernando Wed 19 Nov 2014, 2:32 pm

With it being the title finale i will be more lenient on debating but if turns into abuse then BAM! Naughty step

Abu Dhabi GP Thread - Contains Spoilers Rosberghamilton-rosberg-hamilton-lewis-nico-title-championship-abu-dhabi_3227537

Track: Yas Marina Circuit. Permanent Circuit.

Race start time: 1pm UK time Sunday (5pm local).

Laps: 55.

Track length: 5.554 km.

Tyre allocation: Soft (yellow) and supersoft (red).

DRS Zones: Two with separate detection points – between turns seven and eight and between turns ten and 11.

Driver steward: TBA.

Lap record: Sebastian Vettel - 1:40.279 (Red Bull; 2009).

2013 pole: Sebastian Vettel - 1:39.957 (Red Bull)

Form guide
Sebastian Vettel is the most successful driver in Abu Dhabi having taken victory at three of the five previous grands prix in the emirate. Lewis Hamilton (2011) and Kimi Raikkonen (2012) are the only other drivers to have stood atop the F1 podium at the Yas Marina Circuit.

2013 result: 1. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull); 2. Mark Webber (Red Bull); 3. Nico Rosberg (Mercedes); 4. Romain Grosjean (Lotus); 5. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari); 6. Paul Di Resta (Force India); 7. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes); 8. Felipe Massa (Ferrari); 9. Sergio Perez (McLaren); 10. Adrian Sutil (Force India).

Last five winers in Abu Dhabi: 2013: Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull); 2012: Kimi Raikkonen (Lotus); 2011: Lewis Hamilton (McLaren); 2010:  Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull); 2009: Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull).

Pirelli will bring the two softest compounds in their range to Abu Dhabi – the yellow-marked soft and red-banded supersoft.

The Italian firm says that “Abu Dhabi is one of the smoothest tracks of the year, and well-known territory for Pirelli, with a lot of the company’s testing carried out there prior to its arrival in Formula 1.

“The race takes place into the evening, with ambient and track temperatures dropping, The most suitable tyre choice is the P Zero Yellow soft and P Zero Red supersoft, which will put the accent on strategy.”

Motorsport Director Paul Hembery added: “The strategy is normally greatly affected by the unusual track evolution, due to the falling temperatures caused by the late afternoon start.

“This was the case in Bahrain as well, which turned out to be one of the most exciting and unpredictable races of the season earlier this year.

“As a result, the free practice sessions will be particularly crucial, as the teams try to gather as much information as possible about how the car will perform on both compounds: not just with different fuel loads, but also with different track temperatures.

“As so many points are on offer, there is a big opportunity for teams that have less to lose to try an unexpected strategy, in order to make some potentially significant gains.”

Lewis Hamilton is favourite for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix with Sky Bet with Brazil victor Nico Rosberg second favourite

---------

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Abu Dhabi GP Thread - Contains Spoilers Empty Re: Abu Dhabi GP Thread - Contains Spoilers

Post by Guest Wed 19 Nov 2014, 3:20 pm

This is it, the moment of truth. Fingers Crossed

Back to top Go down

Abu Dhabi GP Thread - Contains Spoilers Empty Re: Abu Dhabi GP Thread - Contains Spoilers

Post by liverbnz Wed 19 Nov 2014, 3:39 pm

Rosberg railroads Hamilton into the first corner. Hamilton scrambles to the pits for repairs and finally finishes 3rd. Rosberg wins the race. F1 implodes.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 19 Nov 2014, 3:39 pm

Last edited by liverbnz on Wed 19 Nov 2014, 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Duplicate post)

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 19 Nov 2014, 4:36 pm

Formula 1 driver Jules Bianchi is no longer in an artificial coma and is breathing unaided, his parents have said in a statement.

The Marussia driver, 25, was seriously injured when he crashed in wet conditions into a recovery vehicle at the Japanese Grand Prix on 5 October.

The Frenchman has been flown from hospital in Yokkaichi to intensive care in Nice, where he arrived earlier.

However his condition is still "critical" and he remains unconscious.
"Almost seven weeks after Jules' accident at Suzuka Circuit, and following a challenging period of neurological intensive care, we are able to announce Jules has made an important step," his parents Philippe and Christine said in the statement.
"His treatment now enters a new phase concerned with the improvement of his brain function.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed 19 Nov 2014, 4:46 pm

Good to hear, can't imagine he'll race at a high level again but some things are more important.

Caterham bringing a shadow crew to this race is a joke frankly. I'd hope the FIA are more stringent that ever with their safety checks.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 19 Nov 2014, 5:12 pm

Fernando wrote:Formula 1 driver Jules Bianchi is no longer in an artificial coma and is breathing unaided, his parents have said in a statement.

The Marussia driver, 25, was seriously injured when he crashed in wet conditions into a recovery vehicle at the Japanese Grand Prix on 5 October.

The Frenchman has been flown from hospital in Yokkaichi to intensive care in Nice, where he arrived earlier.

However his condition is still "critical" and he remains unconscious.
"Almost seven weeks after Jules' accident at Suzuka Circuit, and following a challenging period of neurological intensive care, we are able to announce Jules has made an important step," his parents Philippe and Christine said in the statement.
"His treatment now enters a new phase concerned with the improvement of his brain function.

That is encouraging news. Best of luck to him. OK
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Wed 19 Nov 2014, 6:20 pm

Awesome news on Bianchi!

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Wed 19 Nov 2014, 9:36 pm

Great news about Jules!

Also good news for another Frenchman, Grosjean, renewing his deal with Lotus.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 19 Nov 2014, 9:42 pm

Gerry SA wrote:Great news about Jules!

Also good news for another Frenchman, Grosjean, renewing his deal with Lotus.

Yes indeed on both fronts. Grosjean has settled down since his early tribulations and hopefully Lotus can rediscover some pace next year. As for Jules well he is far from out of the woods as he is still in a coma but at least that is some improvement that he is breathing unaided.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 20 Nov 2014, 9:44 am

Good to hear some positive news on Bianchi.

As for this weekend it would be a travesty if Hamilton doesn't win the title, to be honest the double points rule should be dropped for this race if it is not being used next season.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 20 Nov 2014, 10:21 am

Vettel and Kimi confirmed at Ferrari

Almost last years RB partnership
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Nov 2014, 10:56 am

Remember last year when the Alonso/Kimi partnership was announced & it had people throffing at the mouth. Unfortunately, for Ferrari fans, I fear this new patnership will probably still be fighting mid-grid, like this years one.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 20 Nov 2014, 11:00 am

If the car is a dog again sure
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 20 Nov 2014, 11:22 am

After all Fernando Alonso put in during his 5 years at Maranello, it's a shame he didn't get the third WDC he so craves. Team orders aside, Massa Germany 2010, none of the other 10 wins his team mate was no where to be seen. 

I don't see the masterful Spaniard winning another championship.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Thu 20 Nov 2014, 11:24 am

Sebastian Vettel has time on his side, 27, so in reality he can bide his time for 2/3 years for the Scuderia to get their act together. 

If Vettel wins a championship with Ferrari, it will be his greatest ever achievement

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 20 Nov 2014, 3:43 pm

Fantastic news about Jules...continue to wish him all the best for a full and speedy recovery.

I'm guessing Grosjean only re-signed with Renault as there were no other option open to him. He must be praying next season's car is an improvement on this one.

Anyway, never mind the race for the driver's title. What about the race to end up on Nando's Naughty Step? king

Fernando - 200/1
CaledonianCraig - 50/1
John - 25/1
GSC - 10/1

Place your bets now!  Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 20 Nov 2014, 3:48 pm

Nando cant afford to put me on the naughty step.

Even money on John If Rosberg wins
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 20 Nov 2014, 3:49 pm

angel
Gerry - 1/10 fav
Liam - Evens
Mysti - 2/1
John - 3/1
GSC - 4/1
CC - 5/1
DW - 6/1

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Thu 20 Nov 2014, 4:12 pm

Well for Alonso I think it is a good move. Things have been stale at Ferrari for a few years now and they seem rudderless and listing. At least McLaren are making changes in a bid to shake themselves out of a lean spell. Who knows how good the Honda engine package will be.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Thu 20 Nov 2014, 6:21 pm

Fernando wrote:  angel
Gerry - 1/10 fav
Liam - Evens
Mysti - 2/1
John - 3/1
GSC - 4/1
CC - 5/1
DW - 6/1

Why aren't I included? =(

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Nov 2014, 7:16 pm

Abuse someone, preferably Gerry & we'll enter you @ 7/1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Thu 20 Nov 2014, 7:57 pm

Alright xD

Anyone seen the awkward question that was given to Fernando at the press conference where he was asked "if he wanted Jenson as his team mate?"

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Nov 2014, 8:17 pm

Yeah, classic moment. Alonso's had quite a few funny moments in this years press conferences. Had to laugh at Rosberg's, 'hopefully Lewis keeps it clean' comment. Should of seen Jenson's eyes at that moment

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 21 Nov 2014, 12:45 pm

Grosjean gets a 20 place grid penalty for new engine parts.

Great rule
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Nov 2014, 12:57 pm

You should probably cut the FIA some slack, in terms of the call they made on engine units & parts. It's the first season of a new technology & nobody really knew what state reliability would be in, so they had to make a call, giving some leeway, but also trying to cut costs. All in all, the teams have coped well. Only Vettel, Grosjean & Kyvat have been effected massively, so it shows the grid, overall, dealt with the five units maximum pretty well. A large blame should really go to Renault

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri 21 Nov 2014, 1:12 pm

John wrote:Yeah, classic moment. Alonso's had quite a few funny moments in this years press conferences. Had to laugh at Rosberg's, 'hopefully Lewis keeps it clean' comment. Should of seen Jenson's eyes at that moment

Nearly choked on my coffee when I saw that.

Although...Lewis has repeatedly stated he aspires to be like Ayrton Senna. Wonder how much like Senna he means? Whistle

On a serious note I think Hamilton is too much of a racer to try anything dodgy. He fights hard but fair.

Equally I doubt Nico will try anything rash after the heat he got following the Spa race.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 21 Nov 2014, 1:16 pm

Its a situation where he just needs to drive clever.

Pride aside, why battle Nico. The 1.7 second gap to Alonso in third says it all.

Unfortunately, driving clever and Lewis Hamilton don't tend to go side by side.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Nov 2014, 5:06 pm

GSC wrote:If the car is a dog again sure

I heard rumours on the internet a few weeks back & then Ted Kravitz said it today, that Ferrari's engine progress for 2015 is apparently a shambles, hence, why they've recently appointed some 'engine combustion' expert to the team. Alonso obviously was privy to how the 2015 car was unfolding & must of known it was in a mess. He also dislikes Vettel, so to leave, knowing that Vettel was heading into that mess, must of been some small payback for all those runner-up positions behind Vettel over the four years of domination.

I'm going for it to be another dog. With all the technical staff changes & James Allison only really starting to slowly turn things around, I expect more tough times ahead & so does Alonso, hence the decision to up ship to McLaren.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 21 Nov 2014, 10:12 pm

For all sense and purpose the race will be pretty straightforward. The Mercedes pair are miles faster than everyone else. Therefore Hamilton is already WDC(lap it up John..). Just to say Rosberg will probably win the race with a wild lunge in the early stages. Vettel third would be a decent Red Bull leaving gift...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Nov 2014, 10:33 pm

Nothing is guaranteed or in the bag. We haven't even had qualifying, we could see a repeat of Hockenheim or Hungary.

If Lewis does become World Champion, I will indeed 'lap it up' & I hope you will come & join me, in celebrating such a wonderful achievement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Nov 2014, 10:41 pm

John wrote:If Lewis does become World Champion, I will indeed 'lap it up'

and if he doesn't become champion, Fernando better hire some extra moderators for assistance. It could get messy on here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 21 Nov 2014, 10:43 pm

John wrote:Nothing is guaranteed or in the bag. We haven't even had qualifying, we could see a repeat of Hockenheim or Hungary.

If Lewis does become World Champion, I will indeed 'lap it up' & I hope you will come & join me, in celebrating such a wonderful achievement.
Hamilton seems to have Rosberg covered TBH. I can see Hamilton banging a supreme pole position time, say 0.5sec faster than Rosberg.

and for the second part - I'll congratulate Hamilton(maybe via a tweet)

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 21 Nov 2014, 10:46 pm

LiamB wrote:

and if he doesn't become champion, Fernando better hire some extra moderators for assistance. It could get messy on here.

It won't get messy, If it turns into abuse = naughty step on that Gerry your comment on the other thread is your 1st warning of the naughty step boxing

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 21 Nov 2014, 10:50 pm

Fernando wrote:
LiamB wrote:

It won't get messy, If it turns into abuse = naughty step on that Gerry your comment on the other thread is your 1st warning of the naughty step boxing
Fair enough

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 21 Nov 2014, 10:54 pm

I cannot see any reason for Gerry not to recognize the achievement. After all it is a mirror image (nearly) of Vettel's titles as in won driving a totally dominant car.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Fri 21 Nov 2014, 10:58 pm

[quote="CaledonianCraig"]I cannot see any reason for Gerry not to recognize the achievement. After all it is a mirror image (nearly) of Vettel's titles as in won driving a totally dominant car.[/quote
Craig gotta a question:

Considering that Jochen Rindt was considered the best driver in F1 at the time of his death, does it mean your hero Jackie Stewart's second and third WDCs are less impressive?

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Fri 21 Nov 2014, 11:07 pm

Fernando wrote:With it being the title finale i will be more lenient on debating but if turns into abuse then BAM! Naughty step

Well i think we can all see where this heading as usual Vettel arguments do.

So considering this your pre-warning guys angel

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 21 Nov 2014, 11:40 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:I cannot see any reason for Gerry not to recognize the achievement. After all it is a mirror image (nearly) of Vettel's titles as in won driving a totally dominant car.
So I take it you will be not be celebrating a Hamilton title win then?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 22 Nov 2014, 8:28 am

GSC wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:I cannot see any reason for Gerry not to recognize the achievement. After all it is a mirror image (nearly) of Vettel's titles as in won driving a totally dominant car.
So I take it you will be not be celebrating a Hamilton title win then?

Why would I celebrate? I will leave stuff such as celebrations to his staunch fans. I will be pleased for him but as world titles go it is nowhere near as impressive as his first.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Nov 2014, 10:16 am

I will be celebrating out of just sheer relief that he's won it through difficult circumstances. Agree, it won't be an astonishing achievement, as he was expected to beat a second tier driver like Rosberg, but it's still gone to the wire & has been nowhere near as easy as one & a half of Vettel's four titles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 22 Nov 2014, 11:24 am

Surprisingly strong effort by Nico Rosberg in FP3. I thought Lewis Hamilton had him covered but Rosberg was fastest by 0.3 secs. 

No one else anyway near.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sat 22 Nov 2014, 12:06 pm

If Hamilton does win, because of the double points rule, then the sports become even more of a laughing stock considering he's won twice as many races as Rosberg.

It would be good to see Hamilton actually win the race this time rather than have the championship gifted to him by slowing cars though.

I think Williams may look back on this season with a little bit of disappointment in that they haven't won a race.
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 22 Nov 2014, 12:47 pm

Broken floor on Rosberg's car.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Nov 2014, 12:51 pm

Anyone see the Ron Dennis interview on Sky. Basically saying contracts aren't decided as of yet & that things could change completely after tomorrow's outcome. #HamiltonbacktoMcLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 22 Nov 2014, 1:25 pm

Ferrari have rolled the dice in the quest of regaining the once lost glories. 

Ross Brawn back to Ferrari.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 22 Nov 2014, 1:26 pm

Ross Brawn rumoured to be returning to Ferrari for next season. That would be a good move but he has apparently said it is not true.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 22 Nov 2014, 1:29 pm

[list=0CB0Q_xc]
[*]Marco Mattiacci Will step down as ferrari boss after Abu Dhabi GP

[/list]

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Nov 2014, 2:04 pm

That was poor from Lewis, just overdrives q3's. Great job from Nico. Question is, what does Nico do in the race?

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 22 Nov 2014, 2:14 pm

One thing in Hamilton's favour is he has slightly fresher set of tyres. Still advantage Hamilton as Rosberg needs help from a third party.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next