The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Anybody Care About Amir Khan?

+29
hogey
Mr Bounce
Lance
thelastbellender
jimdig
88Chris05
CallMeBenji
Coxy001
rapidringsroad
Kareem61
Hammersmith harrier
AdamT
DDGO2
milkyboy
Dipper Brown
tunes666
Derbymanc
bellchees
spencerclarke
Steffan
mobilemaster8
lfc91
TopHat24/7
Gentleman01
kingraf
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
JabMachineMK2
Strongback
33 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Does Anybody Care About Amir Khan? Empty Does Anybody Care About Amir Khan?

Post by Strongback Tue 09 Dec 2014, 4:49 pm

Big fight with Alexander coming up this weekend but nobody seems to care a jot.

I remember threads raging for days about Khan.

Why does nobody care anymore?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Does Anybody Care About Amir Khan? Empty Re: Does Anybody Care About Amir Khan?

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 09 Dec 2014, 4:52 pm

Its been done to death - the threads often turn into race rows and the guy himself is a prize plum. He has talent, undoubtedly but he also has this propensity for a firefight and lets people down in fights he really should tie up.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 09 Dec 2014, 4:54 pm

His wife cares about him..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 09 Dec 2014, 4:55 pm

I do, I like the kid, he is normally good to watch, even when not by design and he seems genuinely willing to test himself against the best. I wish him all the best for the weekend. Think he will beat Alexander and hopefully this can lead to a massive domestic affair with Brook in the summer.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 09 Dec 2014, 4:59 pm

His wife, the local Bolton strippers...His mum and dad.That's at least 40 people
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman01 Tue 09 Dec 2014, 5:05 pm

I'm a huge fan of Amir. It's true that he does, on occasion, open his mouth and insert foot, but, as far as boxers go, he is hardly unique in that respect.

He's an exciting, entertaining fighter who seeks genuine challenges. And, the aforementioned infrequent foot-in-mouth tendencies notwithstanding, he usually comes across a pretty decent and well-mannered fella.

I'll certainly be rooting for him against Alexander.

Gentleman01

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 09 Dec 2014, 5:31 pm

If he pulls in a great performance against Devon, and doesn't follow it immediately with calling out Mayweather, then I think he'll re-endear himself to fans.

Brook fight will get everyone going again.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Tue 09 Dec 2014, 5:52 pm

I care. Still a fan of his ability, always in entertaining fights aswell. Will hopefully still be in a fit state to watch the fight come 3am though!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 09 Dec 2014, 6:21 pm

Yeh I'm looking forward to this weekend. He could still be undefeated if he kept his cool and calm. Think he handily hammers Devon this weekend (who just isn't THAT good). He then goes on to hammer brook next year at some point.

Well he SHOULD.....But hey its Khan so he probably gets into a tear up after making his opponent look amateur for a while...and get subsequently stopped.

Hopefully not. Think he is a classy, classy fighter

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 09 Dec 2014, 7:00 pm

I'm a Khan fan. The guy is a class act and although his chin is dodgy this makes for exciting fights. Hope he KO/TKO Alexander before getting a shot at Floyd next year

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 09 Dec 2014, 7:26 pm

Hoping khan wins. I went off him for a long time due to some of the stuff he came out with. However most of that came when he was in Freddie roach's camp. He appears to have eased off since moving camps. Although I still don't like the whole 'we' when commenting on when he is in the ring, but there are plenty of boxers that talk like that.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 09 Dec 2014, 7:49 pm

I do like Khan but feel he's been stagnating a bit since the Garcia fight just waiting for Mayweather to call and give him a shot he doesn't really deserve. Molina was a return fight which is fair enough but he made real hard work of Diaz who should have been nothing more than a keep busy fight and although Collazo was a decent win and very good first performance at Welter it's not something that makes you one of the top guys in the division. Should do the business this weekend against Alexander who has only beaten face first brawlers at the top level (Karass and Maidana) and lost his other big fights despite what the judges say.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 09 Dec 2014, 8:00 pm

I care, was gutted when he was starched by Garcia and wish he'd stop chasing the Mayweather fight.

C'mon Amir

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Tue 09 Dec 2014, 8:14 pm

I am not his biggest fan and thought he was a bit over rated as a champ. That being said I think people are too hard on him, he is still one the Brits best at the moment, is a very exciting fighter and no one can deny that on his day he can give anyone a really hard nights work, and yes I include Floyd in that.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue 09 Dec 2014, 8:16 pm

Out of sight, out of mind. Put himself on the shelf waiting for Floyd and has been out of action for Ramadan. When he does fight though, he's one of the most exciting fighters about.

British guy, fights at the top level, huge potential. I hope he wins, always cheer for the guy, even when he gets dragged into a fire fight he should avoid.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 09 Dec 2014, 8:26 pm

Don't know if I'd call myself a fan as such, but I've always thought he came in for a bit of unnecessary stick. He hasn't helped himself at times, more through him not being the brightest bunny I think, rather than any malice in the guy.

He's British, has talent, is generally in exciting fights. I wish the lad well, and am looking forward to this fight, which I agree has slipped under the radar... A better fight on paper, and certainly with better quality fighters than anything we've been fed on sky and boxnation the past two weeks.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Tue 09 Dec 2014, 8:43 pm

I like Amir but he isn't as great as he thinks. Still, he does have a go, not got many big names on his record under the W side, but he has stepped up and competed on world level. Could trouble Mayweather, but also, with his feather chin get dusted, even by him. Brook batters him now as he's too big and accurate, but it be great while it lasted.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 09 Dec 2014, 8:58 pm

DDGO2 wrote:Brook batters him now as he's too big and accurate
Does Anybody Care About Amir Khan? 200

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue 09 Dec 2014, 9:11 pm

Khans exciting to watch for his abilities and vulnerability.

He has a lot of heart and each time he has got sparked he has came back. He is full of confidence and good luck to him. I actually think he is a nice kid who just comes across bad in some interviews. He has matured and this fight will show us how much he has improved with Virgil.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by DDGO2 Tue 09 Dec 2014, 10:28 pm

Khan get's chin checked: chicken dance.

DDGO2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 09 Dec 2014, 10:35 pm

Khan is probably a bum in your world Emore.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Wed 10 Dec 2014, 12:27 am

Brook has been in with one half decent fighter in Shawn Porter and that was an awful "fight" and now he batters khan? Do me a favour.

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 10 Dec 2014, 12:48 am

Porter is a bit better than half decent, it wasn't a pretty fight but why does it need to be, Brook utilised his boxing skills brilliantly to counter the marauding aggression. Let's be honest here Khan would have buckled under that pressure as the Diaz, Peterson and Garcia fights suggest.

Brook now that he seems to have sorted out his stamina issues would be an incredibly tough fight for Khan to win, he's huge at the weight, strong, fairly quick, good power, punch variation, tactically astute and looks reasonably durable. Khan would have to box the fight of his life to beat him in my opinion, he's more exciting but is he better I don't think so.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Wed 10 Dec 2014, 6:49 am

I don't know why people have a down on Khan, I've never seen him in a boring fight yet. Which is more than can be said about Hopkins and dare I say this? Mayweather.Sorry Truss but you've got to agree Floyd's fights don't have you on the edge of your seat do they?,even boring old Wlad managed to raise a spark of exitement in his latest fight.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 10 Dec 2014, 9:21 am

Rowley wrote:I do, I like the kid, he is normally good to watch, even when not by design and he seems genuinely willing to test himself against the best. I wish him all the best for the weekend. Think he will beat Alexander and hopefully this can lead to a massive domestic affair with Brook in the summer.

Echo that Rozzer. Have an issue rattling around my hungover head this morning (first darts league match of the year, suffice to say I pulled it out of the bag for 2 wins including the deciding game.. but anyway)

Worry I have is that if Khan does win then we're going to be subjected to a torrent of "give me FMJ next, I'm the man to beat him" when in fact he is just a poor mans Judah in most respects other than work rate and heart. I 100% agree he should be setting his sights on Brook next year - he could potentially feature on a double header card (this side of the Atlantic anyway) with Sky picking up both Khan vs. Brook and then FMJ vs. Pacman on the same night? Now, he good would THAT be?

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by CallMeBenji Wed 10 Dec 2014, 9:24 am

I am a Khan fan, pure and simple. Here we have a British fighter who is frequently in great fights, has excellent skills and chases the best fights. So what if he occasionally says the wrong thing in the odd interview? He's a boxer, not a professional public speaker. I see him outclassing Alexander on the way to a UD and then I think he'll get Mayweather or Pacquaio next and fair play to him - he's taken his licks and re-dedicated himself so as to come back stronger.

People can talk all they want about whether he deserves his shot but how many of Mayweather's recent opponents have truly earned their shot? Personally, I give him a good chance of beating Mayweather.

If he fights Brook then I think it's quite a tough fight due to some of the reasons that Hammersmith has pointed out. I still have him as a slight favourite though.

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 10 Dec 2014, 9:37 am

Good news is that SS have picked it up as well, none of this PPV nonsense. Will be watching it on Sky+ in the morning as I have no energy to wake up at 4am.

Disagree on your call there callmebenji/Beau Ryan. Brook is horribly stylistically wrong for Khan, counter puncher who carries enough serious whack to knock Khan out of his socks. Has enough speed, work rate and technique to find his chin as well. Agree with HH in that Khan would have to box his ears off in a massively controlled performance... The problem is he can't do that and will leave gaps as he opens up when getting in to a brawl. Khan brawling vs. anyone world level and he gets knocked out.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Dec 2014, 9:42 am

I was going to care then I read that he'll be wearing 24 carat gold trunks worth £30k at the weekend, so he's slipped back into pr!ck mode

Back to top Go down

Post by CallMeBenji Wed 10 Dec 2014, 10:01 am

Nice bit of RL knowledge there Captain Kirk ! I can certainly see where you're coming from in terms of styles. The only edge that I would really give Khan is based upon him staying controlled for the entire fight and realistically that might not happen. I think his slightly superior speed and combination punching could catch the eye more rather than Brook perhaps being more accurate but landing less, however it's more than conceivable that Brook could time him coming in and land the big one. I think Khan's style is actually more suited to facing Mayweather than Brook !

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 10 Dec 2014, 10:24 am

I'll reserve judgement on khan brook til I've seen the Alexander fight.

In principle though, whilst he got sparked by Garcia countering, and certainly runs the same risk against brook, his troubles have always been against pressure fighters.

If khan is at the sharpness level of a few years ago, and if hunter has him spending less time in the pocket throwing fewer punches, then I'd favour him. A few big ifs there. Like i said, let's see how he looks against a good boxer at the weekend.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Wed 10 Dec 2014, 11:04 am

I think you're right Milky and hopefully we will see some excellent boxing from Khan this weekend, I really believe that Hunter has changed his mindset and the penny has dropped that of he boxes clever he has the ability to be almost anyone. I like Kell Brook, he's a sheffield united fan for a start so obviously a top man but he's fought one world level operator and I didn't see anything special in that fight, it was a scrappy affair and I think there is too much hyperbole surrounding him given his lack of exposure at the highest level.

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Wed 10 Dec 2014, 11:05 am

*if *beat.

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 10 Dec 2014, 11:13 am

I had the porter brook fight pretty close, and whilst it wasn't a great fight, because it was close it was compelling, so I enjoyed it. Brook showed plenty of heart and answered the stamina queries because porter is relentless. In short, I think brook deserves a lot of credit for that performance... But it is just the one win, against a top opponent of a certain style. A bit to prove yet.

I'd fancy khans chances against brook much more than I would against porter.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Wed 10 Dec 2014, 1:14 pm

My thoughts exactly. Brook may turn out to be top, top level but hasn't been anywhere near Khans level yet and that makes me put Khan as favourite right now if they were to fight.

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 10 Dec 2014, 1:56 pm

Thing is Kareem Khan hasn't exactly spent much of his career @ WW, unlike Brook. I would probably agree that overall in terms of record Khan has the edge, but if you match up their best win against the others best win then Porter his above what Khan has beaten. More so it was @ WW, a weight in which Khan has yet to be tested at in terms of handling a naturally bigger guy than he's been used to.

If Brook vs Khan was announced on Monday morning I'd be surprised if the odds weren't something like 4/6 for Brook and 11/10 for Khan - that is taking the Alexander fight out of the equation at this present moment in time...

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 10 Dec 2014, 3:00 pm

Would love to see him fight Brook....Think he wins by decision..

World class operator and British great who would entice more support If he tried to be more humble..

Underachieved so far..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 10 Dec 2014, 3:22 pm

Khan has faster hands than Brook. He beats him to the punch early on.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 10 Dec 2014, 3:26 pm

Yeah, another vote for Khan to beat Brook from me, although it should be a competitive fight. Definitely one I'd love to see on these shores in 2015 and the natural next step for Khan if he beats Alexander on Saturday night and if the Mayweather fight doesn't "present itself", as Floyd likes to say.

I'm more of an admirer of Khan than a proper outright fan, but I certainly always look forward to his fights and agree that he gets a hard time unnecessarily in a lot of cases. He's said some daft stuff but I have a lot of time for his approach to the sport, excellent work ethic and his plucky attitude when it comes to wanting to fight the big names. Easy to forget that he only turns 28 this month and we may not yet have seen the best of him.

Very intriguing fight on Saturday which I'll be pulling the late shift for. I'll be willing Khan on.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Dec 2014, 3:31 pm

Wouldn't surprise me to see Khan get over confident and walk onto a shot against Brook. Some of the short hooks Brook hit Porter with when he was coming in would have Khan on silly street.

Definitely a very interesting fight. Khan's been there and done it a World level...he's also been found out by fighters who've been shown to be not that much better than Brook if at all. Nothing to suggest Garcia and Petersen would beat Brook as easily as they beat Khan. Kell's a fully fledged WW and definitely no slouch himself. When he sits down on his shots, there's real spite in them so whilst he might spend a long time chasing Khan and hitting fresh air, if he does catch him, he takes him out.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 10 Dec 2014, 3:49 pm

You think Peterson beat Khan easily, Dave? I still think Peterson was a lucky boy to get the decision in his favour - even with the two point deductions. Peterson definitely highlighted some flaws in Khan's game but it was still a life and death struggle for him to get a questionable decision.

Garcia cleaned Khan's clock good 'n' proper, agree there, but that left hook he has is a sickener. Brook can punch a bit and is probably more varied and accurate than Garcia, but I don't think he's got an individual shot in his armour which has the same blunt force trauma of Danny Boy's left hook. Khan has been flattened a couple of times....But he's also stood up from a brutal onslaught from Maidana and got up off the deck to win a handful of times. I think Brook's power is being a little overrated if we're working on the assumption that one clean crack bang on the chin will definitely end the fight there and then. Hey, who knows, it may do - but I don't think the evidence suggests it.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Wed 10 Dec 2014, 3:51 pm

The good thing for all of us as fans is that it's extremely likely the brook khan fight will happen sooner rather than later so we will find out one way or the other.

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Dec 2014, 3:55 pm

88Chris05 wrote:You think Peterson beat Khan easily, Dave? I still think Peterson was a lucky boy to get the decision in his favour - even with the two point deductions. Peterson definitely highlighted some flaws in Khan's game but it was still a life and death struggle for him to get a questionable decision.

Garcia cleaned Khan's clock good 'n' proper, agree there, but that left hook he has is a sickener. Brook can punch a bit and is probably more varied and accurate than Garcia, but I don't think he's got an individual shot in his armour which has the same blunt force trauma of Danny Boy's left hook. Khan has been flattened a couple of times....But he's also stood up from a brutal onslaught from Maidana and got up off the deck to win a handful of times. I think Brook's power is being a little overrated if we're working on the assumption that one clean crack bang on the chin will definitely end the fight there and then. Hey, who knows, it may do - but I don't think the evidence suggests it.
If Maidana had anything approaching a decent technique, he'd have beaten Khan in than 10th (?) round. As it was, he lacked any sort of precision which nullified the effect of the punch.

Khan has heart and intestinal fortitude but does he have the power to stop Brook in his tracks and deter him? If not, I think there's a danger that Brook times him nicely and catches him on the way in much like Garcia did. Let's not forget that despite Garcia's one punch power, you don't need to hit like Bruno to have Khan in trouble. You think we'd be talking about Khan now if Willie Limond and Michael Gomez had more power in their punches?

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 10 Dec 2014, 3:58 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Wouldn't surprise me to see Khan get over confident and walk onto a shot against Brook. Some of the short hooks Brook hit Porter with when he was coming in would have Khan on silly street.

Definitely a very interesting fight. Khan's been there and done it a World level...he's also been found out by fighters who've been shown to be not that much better than Brook if at all. Nothing to suggest Garcia and Petersen would beat Brook as easily as they beat Khan. Kell's a fully fledged WW and definitely no slouch himself. When he sits down on his shots, there's real spite in them so whilst he might spend a long time chasing Khan and hitting fresh air, if he does catch him, he takes him out.

I'd have brook, fairly strong favourite against both dave... but khan slight favourite over brook (this weekend depending). Styles and fights and all that.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 10 Dec 2014, 4:02 pm

Kareem61 wrote:The good thing for all of us as fans is that it's extremely likely the brook khan fight will happen sooner rather than later so we will find out one way or the other.

Am not so convinced, Khan has done his utmost to avoid Brook (almost Hatton - Witter esque although Brook has more pulling power/actually has charisma to sell the fight) and probably rightly so. Problem is I think Khan knows, more so is afraid, that if he loses his marketability here is almost shot if he gets knocked out early. If they go to war for 10 rounds then both probably come out with kudos like Benn did after losing to Eubank.

I have this inkling that the fight is no nearer and it's all down to Khan. Saying that dangle Wembley Stadium and £6m infront of his pointy nose then he may think otherwise.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 10 Dec 2014, 4:09 pm

brook has charisma? really?

Brook had fought nobody before porter and other than being british he brought nothing to the table. Now he does. If khan wins on saturday, and doesn't get the floyd gig, then brook is the obvious fight. If khan then makes excuses, you might have an argument. Never seen khan as a ducker myself.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Dec 2014, 4:11 pm

Captain Kirk wrote:
Kareem61 wrote:The good thing for all of us as fans is that it's extremely likely the brook khan fight will happen sooner rather than later so we will find out one way or the other.

Am not so convinced, Khan has done his utmost to avoid Brook (almost Hatton - Witter esque although Brook has more pulling power/actually has charisma to sell the fight) and probably rightly so. Problem is I think Khan knows, more so is afraid, that if he loses his marketability here is almost shot if he gets knocked out early. If they go to war for 10 rounds then both probably come out with kudos like Benn did after losing to Eubank.

I have this inkling that the fight is no nearer and it's all down to Khan. Saying that dangle Wembley Stadium and £6m infront of his pointy nose then he may think otherwise.
Kelly Brook, Brooke Shields, Tim Brooke-Taylor, Taylor Swift and a babbling brook running through a leafy glade have more charisma than Kell Brook. I like him BTW but Captain Charisma he is not.

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Wed 10 Dec 2014, 4:15 pm

Khan does exciting fights, I'm not really invested in whether he wins or loses, it's guarenteed entertainment though. His fight with alexander should be a tonic after the last few domestics (fury v chisora, bellew v cleverly).

No interest in Bradley though, and he's on the same night. Better not end up fight of the year stuff, like his provodnikov battle.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Wed 10 Dec 2014, 4:22 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Captain Kirk wrote:

Kelly Brook, Brooke Shields, Tim Brooke-Taylor, Taylor Swift and a babbling brook running through a leafy glade have more charisma than Kell Brook. I like him BTW but Captain Charisma he is not.

Never said he was. Compared him to Witters troubles with getting the fight with Hatton. See above Davie.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Wed 10 Dec 2014, 4:27 pm

What exactly has he done to avoid brook if you don't mind me asking captain? They've been in different divisions till Khans last fight and every interview I've seen, khan has seemed to give the impression he's up for it as much as brook.

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by thelastbellender Wed 10 Dec 2014, 5:16 pm

Amir Khon will loose

thelastbellender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next