The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v England - Match Thread

+92
MarcusHalberstram
John Cregan
jbeadlesbigrighthand
JDizzle
formerly known as Sam
Steve_rugby
wolfball
LeinsterFan4life
Sgt_Pooly
Golden
Heaf
nobbled
Duty281
mystiroakey
boomeranga
Engine#4
Hood83
westisbest
Tiger/Chief
Cumbrian
Alex_Germany
Mickado
hugehandoff
GoodinTightSpaces
MunsterMac
No9
EnglishReign
MichaelT
asoreleftshoulder
bluestonevedder
sad_gimp
HammerofThunor
TrailApe
kunu
Stewie15
TheRugbyMaster
the-goon
Gooseberry
theslosty
BigTrevsbigmac
Breadvan
ME-109
Marshes
funnyExiledScot
Barney McGrew did it
TightHEAD
geoff999rugby
nathan
Rory_Gallagher
Nachos Jones
toml
profitius
FecklessRogue
Pot Hale
Steffan
Cowshot
yappysnap
dummy_half
doctor_grey
The Great Aukster
LondonTiger
Cyril
thebandwagonsociety
king_carlos
rodders
Sin é
sickofwendy
wrfc1980
Rugby Fan
thomh
MissBlennerhassett
No 7&1/2
beshocked
robbo277
majesticimperialman
bedfordwelsh
Gwlad
quinsforever
The Fourth Lion
BamBam
Submachine
Poorfour
lostinwales
Geordie
fa0019
gregortree
SecretFly
Notch
stub
captain carrantuohil
WELL-PAST-IT
GunsGerms
96 posters

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

Who is going to win

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 6 Vote_lcap64%Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 6 Vote_rcap 64% 
[ 54 ]
Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 6 Vote_lcap33%Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 6 Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 28 ]
Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 6 Vote_lcap2%Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 6 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 84

Poll closed

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 6 Empty Ireland v England - Match Thread

Post by GunsGerms Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

I know I am two weeks early but Ireland v England on Sunday 1st March will possibly be the 6 nations decider as both teams are the only two teams still undefeated in the 6 nations so far this year.

There are many different angles, plots and sub plots to this game. Here are some of the many things at stake:

Reaburn Shield:

Ireland have held it for 4 consecutive games having defeated previous holders SA in November.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raeburn_Shield

3rd place in rankings:

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 6 Rating10

Triple Crown:

Only Ireland and England can still win this trophy and with due respect to Scotland and Wales who Ireland have yet to play to win it would be some achievement this year.

Grand Slam:

Only Ireland and England and win the slam.

6 nations title:
Obviously France and Wales are still in the running with only one loss but the bookies have Ireland and England as favorites at this point.

Millennium Trophy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Trophy

Eye on the WC:
The earliest Ireland and England could possibly meet at the WC is the Semi finals if they both win their pools and their quarter finals or both come runner up and win their quarters. Either way I think other fixtures such England v Wales and Ireland v France were more important for each nations WC preparations.

Ireland need one more win to tie their record of 10 sucessive wins.

Head to head record:
Overall: England 74 wins Ireland 46 wins
6Nations: England 7 wins Ireland 8 wins

Who is going to win and why?
http://www.espn.co.uk/six-nations-2015/rugby/story/256583.html
Phil Vickery predicts an England win.

Teams:

England:

Ireland:

Last edited by GunsGerms on Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:10 pm; edited 6 times in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Ireland v England - Match Thread

Post by ME-109 Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:18 pm

Sin é wrote:POM is very highly rated in France. Jono Gibbs told some Munsterfan recently that they have tried everything to get him to Clermont (including asking him to name his own price), but he won't leave Munster - so he is loyal as well.

He has moved on from Frankie being his agent as well - Horizon (the crowd that got 20-25million? from Rory McIlroy for breach of contract) are now his agents. Expect some big sponsorships coming up for him there.

edit: he also has only 3 YCs in his career to date (in four seasons).

You should never let the facts get in the way of some silly generalisations...Philip Matthews has been raving about him since 2010

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Ireland v England - Match Thread

Post by TightHEAD Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:25 pm

What ever the outcome I still find Ireland boring to watch.

They only have Sextons boot, at least when we had Wilkinson boot we scored some tries too.
Just hope the Ref allows the game to flow next Sunday.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:30 pm

ME-109 wrote:
Sin é wrote:POM is very highly rated in France. Jono Gibbs told some Munsterfan recently that they have tried everything to get him to Clermont (including asking him to name his own price), but he won't leave Munster - so he is loyal as well.

He has moved on from Frankie being his agent as well - Horizon (the crowd that got 20-25million? from Rory McIlroy for breach of contract) are now his agents. Expect some big sponsorships coming up for him there.

edit: he also has only 3 YCs in his career to date (in four seasons).

You should never let the facts get in the way of some silly generalisations...Philip Matthews has been raving about him since 2010

Its what I have been trying to say. People see POM as being a hot headed loose cannon and that actually couldn't be further from the truth. He has a controlled aggression and a proper leader.
As I said earlier, people would be surprised at how technical he actually is and how much work he puts in to any opposition team he will come up against. He comes up with set pieces for the Munster coaching team and has an amazing knowledge of the game. Hardly a loose cannon and has a very good disciplinary record for a player in his position.

People, like rodders, may see that he contributes nothing in matches and think that the stats are propaganda but if you actually analyse his matches, he is an extremely intelligent rugby player who is generally in the right place at the right time, not by co-incidence but of knowledge.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:34 pm

POM is (in my opinion) the best back row player for Ireland currently. He can literally do anything the other options can, and in most cases he does it better. Rucking, stealing, carrying, line-outs, tackling. He is also blessed with a good rugby brain, and often performs as a second playmaker in the backs. Which is probably why he is used in the back line so often (annoyingly).

He should be the next Ireland captain and strikes me as the type of player that will only improve with age and experience.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:37 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:POM is (in my opinion) the best back row player for Ireland currently. He can literally do anything the other options can, and in most cases he does it better. Rucking, stealing, carrying, line-outs, tackling. He is also blessed with a good rugby brain, and often performs as a second playmaker in the backs. Which is probably why he is used in the back line so often (annoyingly).

He should be the next Ireland captain and strikes me as the type of player that will only improve with age and experience.

I would like to see him as captain as well, well him or Sexton as both would do the job very well.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:40 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:What do you mean by leaders in this context Guns.

If you had to choose multiple leaders you might break them down by units. This seems to be what Schmidt seems to do. Front row, second row, backrow, inside backs outside backs.

Cole, Robshaw, Youngs/Farrell, Brown all seem to have the personality, drive and/or experience to fit the bill.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:41 pm

TightHEAD wrote:What ever the outcome I still find Ireland boring to watch.

They only have Sextons boot, at least when we had Wilkinson boot we scored some tries too.

Easy to solve. Dont watch the game.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:44 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

Easy to solve. Dont watch the game.

What!

and miss a English win.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:47 pm

TightHEAD wrote:

What!  

and miss a English win.

Dont forget to pre order your grand slam 2015 shirts. Bahahahaha!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYmmzI36TJA

Ireland v England - Match Thread - Page 6 Untitl10

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:48 pm

What about last year, when England were much in the same dominant form as they have been this year?  England genuinely felt they were strong enough to win the Championship. And they were.
They had the young hungry players whilst Ireland were still trying to retire a few of their stubborn old hanger-ons.  They felt Ireland would lose against France in France (because, after all, a 'better' side than Ireland already had Wink )   
But Ireland did win in Paris - and scored more tries in the Championship. 16 to England's 14.

So that may be boring but its more than Sexton's boot.

You find Ireland boring This year.  Join the club. Wink  But three games to go.  Let's wait and see how it all turns out.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:49 pm

Not at those prices!

I'll hold off for the 2015 RWC champions shirt thanks.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:51 pm

SecretFly wrote:

What about last year, when England were much in the same dominant form as they have been this year?  England genuinely felt they were strong enough to win the Championship. And they were.
They had the young hungry players whilst Ireland were still trying to retire a few of their stubborn old hanger-ons.  They felt Ireland would lose against France in France (because, after all, a 'better' side than Ireland already had Wink )   
But Ireland did win in Paris - and scored more tries in the Championship. 16 to England's 14.

You find Ireland boring This year.  Join the club. Wink  But three games to go.  Let's wait and see how it all turns out.

But u had BOD then, he was worth watching for 80mins give or take two for when he went of injured or was taking a break.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:54 pm

SecretFly wrote:

But you didnt have to come up against that great defender mr. N M tode up at murrayfield.

Yes last year was very woulda coulda mighta shoulda. Sad

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:55 pm

Ireland under Schmidt are a very pragmatic team. They kick often (in the 5 matches this season they have kicked the ball more than every opposing team), and well. Chase like demons. Are strong at the breakdown and in the tackle and kick their goals. They then have the skill to score tries once they have broken down a teams structures. In fact this all sounds like the perfect game-plan to beat Wales Very Happy

England will probably look to play a similar way - but the kick chase is not as good and thjough an excellent tactical kicker, Ford lacks Sexton's experience. To win England will have to be on top at the set piece.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:57 pm

TightHEAD wrote:

But u had BOD then, he was worth watching for 80mins give or take two for when he went of injured or was taking a break.

Hmm, Bod was one of the guys our friends across the water were telling us we had held onto a year or two too long, that he'd hold up our show, that Schmidt was letting personal loyalties get in the way of good pragmatic coaching.
But good pragmatic coaching is what Joe excels at. Some days fire, some days slodgefest kicking, some days not even getting out of the tracksuit bottoms (Wales last year)

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:57 pm

TightHEAD wrote:

We also have probably the hottest back three in the six nations in Kearney, Bowe and Zeebs. On a scale of 1 to hunk they probably break the scales.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:59 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Ireland under Schmidt are a very pragmatic team. They kick often (in the 5 matches this season they have kicked the ball more than every opposing team), and well. Chase like demons. Are strong at the breakdown and in the tackle and kick their goals. They then have the skill to score tries once they have broken down a teams structures. In fact this all sounds like the perfect game-plan to beat Wales Very Happy

England will probably look to play a similar way - but the kick chase is not as good and thjough an excellent tactical kicker, Ford lacks Sexton's experience. To win England will have to be on top at the set piece.

New Zealand kick the ball more often than any team in world rugby in the last couple of years. Seems to be a tactic that works. Plus Zebo, Bowe and Kearney all played gaelic and are excellent in the air so it does play to our strengths.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:02 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:

We also have probably the hottest back three in the six nations in Kearney, Bowe and Zeebs. On a scale of 1 to hunk they probably break the scales.

Hunk?

I just don't see it. Shocked
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:02 pm

I saw that the old Arsenal player David Bentley has taken up Gaelic. Interesting to see how he goes.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:02 pm

I saw that the old Arsenal player David Bentley has taken up Gaelic. Interesting to see how he goes.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:02 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Ireland under Schmidt are a very pragmatic team. They kick often (in the 5 matches this season they have kicked the ball more than every opposing team), and well. Chase like demons. Are strong at the breakdown and in the tackle and kick their goals. They then have the skill to score tries once they have broken down a teams structures. In fact this all sounds like the perfect game-plan to beat Wales Very Happy

New Zealand kick the ball more often than any team in world rugby in the last couple of years. Seems to be a tactic that works. Plus Zebo, Bowe and Kearney all played gaelic and are excellent in the air so it does play to our strengths.

And was I being critical? No.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:03 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

And was I being critical? No.

A little bit touchy though maybe?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:07 pm

Ease up lads.... it's not even the first weekend yet. Another week to go.

All of a sudden the daggers are being drawn.

A little early, don't you think?  Most of us will be tea strainers by the time the game happens if it kicks off this early Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:08 pm

GunsGerms wrote:

If you had to choose multiple leaders you might break them down by units. This seems to be what Schmidt seems to do. Front row, second row, backrow, inside backs outside backs.

Cole, Robshaw, Youngs/Farrell, Brown all seem to have the personality, drive and/or experience to fit the bill.

But what do you mean by the term here?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:10 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Whats with all the silly questions?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:13 pm

SecretFly wrote:Ease up lads.... it's not even the first weekend yet. Another week to go.

All of a sudden the daggers are being drawn.

A little early, don't you think?  Most of us will be tea strainers by the time the game happens if it kicks off this early Whistle

Ireland should win by a clear score. They are a good team. They have an effective game plan that they execute well. They are at home. As they are clear favourites - no point me pulling out any daggers.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:15 pm

Kearney, Bowe and Zebo looking dangerous? Must hve missed those bits when I blinked in the matches so far.

If any of them could offload they might be a threat. As it is, not worried, and Watson and may are just as good in the air under the high ball so the old crossfield kick tactic does nt scare me too much either.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:17 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

1 question. Can you answer it? You just gave examples of players. Just helps to know what exactly you mean.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:18 pm

quinsforever wrote:Kearney, Bowe and Zebo looking dangerous? Must hve missed those bits when I blinked in the matches so far.

If any of them could offload they might be a threat. As it is, not worried, and Watson and may are just as good in the air under the high ball so the old crossfield kick tactic does not scare me too much either.

In fairness, they are all great offloader's but have been instructed not to take any chances and as a result have not looked dangerous so far this 6N.

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:22 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

1 question. Can you answer it? You just gave examples of players. Just helps to know what exactly you mean.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:24 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

I take it you cant answer then as you re still only giving examples.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:25 pm

Stop being obtuse.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:25 pm

quinsforever wrote:Kearney, Bowe and Zebo looking dangerous? Must hve missed those bits when I blinked in the matches so far.

If any of them could offload they might be a threat. As it is, not worried, and Watson and may are just as good in the air under the high ball so the old crossfield kick tactic does nt scare me too much either.

Yeah, as Nachos said, it's more orders and training field directives than an inability to do it.  Pragmatism - coming from Schmidt himself.

Anyway two things about the offloads.

One: A good few (not all) of us Irish fans are kinda a little frustrated by it and think it wouldn't risk so much if it was allowed a bigger say in our gameplans
Two: Opposition sides seem to be a little perplexed and annoyed that a side that offloads so little could still end up winning against some cool kid super offloading sides Wink

So it's a plus and minus topic for both sets of fans - opposition and supporters

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:26 pm

Nachos Jones wrote:
In fairness, they are all great offloader's but have been instructed not to take any chances and as a result have not looked dangerous so far this 6N.

Yes they are. They are a very good unit in attack but playing the gameplan set for them.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:27 pm

Answer the question or dont. Just thought you d be able to tell me what you mean in this context. Its ok if you dont want to.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:45 pm

I think the key is to have a leader for every major facet of the game.

So in addition to your captain:
A front row who is responsible for the scrum.
A second row who will call the line out in attack and defence.
Another forward to generally motivate.
A back who is going to lead the attack (usually 10)
A back who is going to lead the defence (usually 12)

Your 9 is normally responsible for communicating to the forward a, especially in open play, and you need someone in the back 3 to take charge for kick receipts and counters.

There can be some overlap/variations, but generally you therefore need leaders at 2, 4, a BR, 9, 10, 12 and 15.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:33 pm

I think Ireland will win, but it'll be very close. Most likely they'll score from a poor kick by us and our weak defence out wide or through the forwards at the maul.

In fact their lineout and then maul will probably be the most dangerous part of their whole gameplan. Certainly England's in the last two games has looked far weaker.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:35 pm

robbo277 wrote:I think the key is to have a leader for every major facet of the game.

Your 9 is normally responsible for communicating to the forward a,  especially in open play, and you need someone in the back 3 to take charge for kick receipts and counters.

There can be some overlap/variations, but generally you therefore need leaders at 2, 4, a BR, 9, 10, 12 and 15.

That's half the team!

I'd be happy if I had quality and experienced players at 2, 8, 9 and 10 as those are the key decision making positions for me.

Ireland do have that with Best, POM, Murray and Sexton, but to top it off they also have POC who is the real captain.

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:38 pm

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/austin-healey-ireland-england-six-nations/14339

Hilarious article.

Seems like Austin Healey has ruffled some feathers.

The Irish guy makes a few fair points but is Zebo really a proven match winner? I always thought he's a bit overrated to be honest whose importance has been inflated by that flick.

O Connell is an excellent player but he's 35 now - I agree with Austin he should be a target because he's a key leader.

I actually find myself agreeing with a lot of what Austin says. I don't think England will put Ireland to the sword. I think it will be a tough contest with England prevailing though.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:40 pm

BamBam wrote:
robbo277 wrote:I think the key is to have a leader for every major facet of the game.

Your 9 is normally responsible for communicating to the forward a,  especially in open play, and you need someone in the back 3 to take charge for kick receipts and counters.

That's half the team!

I'd be happy if I had quality and experienced players at 2, 8, 9 and 10 as those are the key decision making positions for me.

Ireland do have that with Best, POM, Murray and Sexton, but to top it off they also have POC who is the real captain.

A 15 who is vocal on the pitch and an organiser is also incredibly important nowadays in test rugby. The amount of kicking there is, you need a 15 who is not only great positionally but a great communicator and good at organising the back field. Ireland and England both have one of these and actually the presence or absence of Mike Brown could be one of the factors that swings the game for me!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:07 pm

BamBam

You look at the best teams and they have those 7 leaders though. They won't all be required to chip in at every break in play, but if your scrum is taking a beating you need someone who can say "this is what's going wrong and this is what we're going to fix."

For example, I wouldn't say that Wales have a strong line out leader, so that is an area where you can get a bit of joy from them.

Scotland don't have a
new experienced playmaker in the side, hence despite all their possession and territory in the last 15 minutes they struggled to manufacture a clear chance until the death.

Australia don't have someone to lead their scrum, and therefore struggle to dig in when things aren't going too well.

Ideally you need a team of leaders so if your tight head is getting pasted your hooked and loose head can have a word and vica versa, but I think to go well at the top level you'll need around 7 leadersurrounding, for sure.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:12 pm

Notch wrote:
BamBam wrote:

That's half the team!

A 15 who is vocal on the pitch and an organiser is also incredibly important nowadays in test rugby. The amount of kicking there is, you need a 15 who is not only great positionally but a great communicator and good at organising the back field. Ireland and England both have one of these and actually the presence or absence of Mike Brown could be one of the factors that swings the game for me!

Yes the rest of the team are Poopie scared of facing him if they lose

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:24 pm

beshocked wrote:http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/austin-healey-ireland-england-six-nations/14339

Hilarious article.

The Irish guy makes a few fair points but is Zebo really a proven match winner? I always thought he's a bit overrated to be honest whose importance has been inflated by that flick.

O Connell is an excellent player but he's 35 now - I agree with Austin he should be a target because he's a key leader.

I actually find myself agreeing with a lot of what Austin says. I don't think England will put Ireland to the sword. I think it will be a tough contest with England prevailing though.

Will we agree that in order for England to put Ireland to the sword [Healy admittedly never said it but his publication headlined it], they'll have to play the best they've played so far, certainly this year, if not taking in the November Internationals too?
I'd certainly concede that I think Ireland will have to get out of their 'It'll do' yawn mode to have a chance of taking England. And if England stay even on current form (without going the notch up) it'll probably be Ireland's toughest challenge in a number of months - even since the last England encounter in 2014.

Will we also agree that Ireland were within 3 points of England at Twickenham last year; and that Wales were only five points off them a few weeks ago in the Millennium?

Are Ireland a better side than Wales? Jury is out until the two meet but going on last year and most observers so far, they are.
England stamina and conditioning put Wales to the sword in a second half but the scoreline is no suggestion that the overall game was a big mismatch. If Ireland don't put up at least as big a fight as Wales then it'll be the shock of the 6N.

So all you might say is that Austin Healy is right - England could win. But, going on present form of both sides, they truly will have to turn on their potential World Cup winning form to do so. So he's right twice. If Ireland play to their potential and England still win - Lancaster will be happier than he was when they played Wales a few weeks ago.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:37 pm

Headscratch er....2 points.
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:48 pm

beshocked wrote:http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/austin-healey-ireland-england-six-nations/14339

Hilarious article.

Zebo has done very well despite having zero opportunities so far in the competition. His defence has been fantastic, putting in some crucial tackles and his positioning/ability under the high ball is superb. The defensive stuff doesn't seem to interest you though, as you seem to rate Ashton highly despite the fact he is a complete defensive liability.

He hasn't had a chance to show his attacking flair, but like I said given the few chances he has had so far, he has still beaten defenders and made ground, and more importantly he has been hard at work in defence which is why he is becoming a Schmidt favourite. Which is great, as that is exactly what Schmidt told Zebo to work on and he did. The flair is still there though, and I expect him to become one of Ireland's greatest wingers.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:55 pm

Whats annoying is that none of the pundits trotted out in the build-up are capable of an impartial view. Austin Healey is much the same as Ronan O'Gara who 'can't see Ireland getting beaten by anyone'. Healey's analysis is laughably one-sided and doesn't take account of the difficulty of them doing what he says they need to do. But equally many Irish pundits are guilty of not recognising the strengths England bring.

It's clearly going to be very close but it would be nice to see any pundit from either nation who didn't let their nationality sway their opinion of who will win. We're right to be confident given the autumn where we beat two teams at home who would be on a higher level than anyone in the Six Nations including England. But its clearly stupid to discount Englands ability.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:59 pm

Breadvan wrote:Headscratch  er....2 points.
Moi?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:03 pm

No, thats whats at stake. Two points to the winners.... Very Happy
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:05 pm

Notch wrote:

Whats annoying is that none of the pundits trotted out in the build-up are capable of an impartial view. Austin Healey is much the same as Ronan O'Gara who 'can't see Ireland getting beaten by anyone'. Healey's analysis is laughably one-sided and doesn't take account of the difficulty of them doing what he says they need to do. But equally many Irish pundits are guilty of not recognising the strengths England bring.

It's clearly going to be very close but it would be nice to see any pundit from either nation who didn't let their nationality sway their opinion of who will win. We're right to be confident given the autumn where we beat two teams at home who would be on a higher level than anyone in the Six Nations including England. But its clearly stupid to discount Englands ability.

To be fair to the Telegraph boys, they have an article by Greenwood just above Healy's on their site "Ireland are ominous and England must up their game"  Haven't read it yet to be honest but I'd assume it takes into account more of Ireland's threat.

Anyway, I don't care that Healy says what he says, it's his balanced view based on his opinions of England's strengths.  But it's a continuing debate and we here offer counter arguments against his suppositions.  But it's all just opinion -coloured a touch, as we all are, by personal convictions and/or loyalties.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:17 pm

In a game this delicately poised, those personal loyalties are the only thing to sway us off the fence one way or the other. Its that close.

This is the biggest game of the season for me unless we should reach the semi-finals of the World Cup. We really should have won that game last season at Twickenham, time to make amends.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next