The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has Djokovic joined the ranks of the tennis greats, whatever that means?

+40
reckoner
coolpixel
break_in_the_fifth
time please
eraldeen
icecold
Manojchandra
FedsFan
Leff
barrystar
JuliusHMarx
Josiah Maiestas
sirfredperry
noleisthebest
CAS
consigliare
CaledonianCraig
Thomond
Jeremy_Kyle
denzilsmom
yummymummy
88Chris05
luciusmann
wow
lydian
bogbrush
Tom_____
graf_the_greatest
Solerina
slashermcguirk
dummy_half
ebar86
yloponom68
sonic_boom10
Mad for Chelsea
Wooffie
Tenez
legendkillar
sportslover
socal1976
44 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Has Djokovic joined the ranks of the tennis greats, whatever that means? - Page 5 Empty Has Djokovic joined the ranks of the tennis greats, whatever that means?

Post by socal1976 Sat 28 May 2011, 6:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

Of course I am highly partial. But I think its time to discuss this issue. Novak has been in the top 3 for the last 5 years. In an era dominated by 2 goat candidates. He has a davis cup, 24 tournament victories, 9 master's series wins, a year end championship, an olympic medal in singles, and a Davis Cup. On the grandslam stage he has been to 4 grandslam finals, with 2 grandslam championships. Not to mention that he is the youngest player in history to make the semis or better of 4 grandslam events. In my mind if he retired tomorrow he would be one of the legends of the game. And his current streak only adds to the luster, he is now the holder of the 3rd longest winning streak in the open era. He is virtually guaranteed of attaining the #1 ranking at least for a few months following his stellar start. Where would you place on his current achievements? I would put him among the very elite of the game. Not top ten of all time in terms of legacy but closing fast. And if he retired tomorrow, he would rank higher in my mind than any of the players that have won 2 slams on the strength of his accomplishing all that he has in the Fedal era and his consistent level of play. As I watched the del potro match, and witnessed the startling level of hitting that Djokovic displayed I was struck with one thought. "I have never seen anybody hit and move like this before, nobody, and I mean nobody". yes there are those players with bigger serves, with better volleys. But when you look at movement and baseline play Djokovic has to rate at the very, very top of the game. He is so good at that style of play that he has bested the very best baseliner/defender we have seen in the modern era and has sent him scurrying for answers in the last fortnight. It is no Djoke to beat federer and Nadal seven straight times. His record against top 5 competition is 10-0, against top ten players it is 13-0. Novak, you are one of the greatest players of all time, a legend of the game and with so much more left to accomplish.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Has Djokovic joined the ranks of the tennis greats, whatever that means? - Page 5 Empty Re: Has Djokovic joined the ranks of the tennis greats, whatever that means?

Post by sirfredperry Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:54 am

Just as one year doth not a great player make, people should not underestimate just how good a year this has been for Nole. Forgive me for repeating stuff I've done on other threads, but Djoko has consistently had to beat the other top players to get his titles this year. This included the rare feat of beating Fed and Rafa at the same slam.
Yes, Nole could make it an even greater year by winning the YE championship in London and, yes, he didn't get to all four GS finals. But I reckon if he does not play again this year he will have had a magnificent season. Like most, I'm already intrigued to see how 2012 will pan out and we've not even reached the end of this season yet. Cast your mind back 12 months and could anyone - hand on heart - have seen how 2011 would finish?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Has Djokovic joined the ranks of the tennis greats, whatever that means? - Page 5 Empty Re: Has Djokovic joined the ranks of the tennis greats, whatever that means?

Post by socal1976 Tue 27 Sep 2011, 6:08 pm

I believe in the open era only 18 or 19 guys have one three slams in the last 44 years. People seem to be so much more restrictive for giving tennis players their due. For current players every player ranked from #2 on down is deemed a failure of some sort. But if I was to give a list of lets say the best 20 footballers of the last 45 years everyone would be falling over themselves about how great these guys are. One or two slams is still an impressive accomplishment but 3 slams shows a player to be a consistent enough performer to threaten at the big events.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 27 Sep 2011, 6:16 pm

socal - it is not about not giving guys their due. Novak is a wonderful, wonderful player. Of course you can use the adjective 'great' about him, but we are all being slightly pedantic and arguing for using the word in its literal sense and I think in tennis terms this means showing that he has to win one or more slams in more than one season - I believe, body willing, he will.

The point being is that if you apply this word which actually means to stand head and shoulders above your peers too early, what are you going to call him when he has dominated for a third season and what word to you apply to Federer or Nadal, who to date exceed him in achievements?

I reiterate I don't think anybody is denying that Novak has had a 'great' season and is showing that he may very well be entitled to becoming one of the greats in a year or so - I would be saying exactly the same if this was 2004 Fed, and I think that Fed sealed his legacy for greatness with his back to back wins at Wimbledon and US Open, then his win at Roland Garros underlined that.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 27 Sep 2011, 6:19 pm

At the end of the day - does it matter to you if everyone else feels that he hasn't quite earned the right just yet to be bracketed with Federer, Borg, Laver, Nadal, Sampras etc, etc?

If you insist he is great, that's fine - you call him what you want. However, you can argue the hind leg of a donkey with this one - I am sure that we will be saluting him as a great in the future, but for now one season does not a great make for me at least.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 27 Sep 2011, 6:23 pm

Timeplease it is a semantic argument and these sites are often a discussion of splitting hairs and relative arguments. I think when I say great I mean a player that is an all time elite with an extensive legacy. A player to remember. It is not the greatest of all time, its just a great, a player to be rembered. I don't need to convince anyone, I just like talking about it.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 27 Sep 2011, 6:37 pm

socal1976 wrote:I don't need to convince anyone, I just like talking about it.

Fair enough! Very Happy

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 27 Sep 2011, 6:38 pm

An all time great that just missed the chance of achieveing the rare feat of winning the 4 slams in a season because of ...Fognini!

Greats are fragile nowadays.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 27 Sep 2011, 6:40 pm

Socal,

I think a lot of people simply cannot stomach what Nole did this year. Britain would've gone bananas if Murray had a year like that. And rightly so, may I say, but because it's Nole then...who cares if the others can't see it, anyway laughing

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 27 Sep 2011, 6:41 pm

Tenez wrote:An all time great that just missed the chance of achieveing the rare feat of winning the 4 slams in a season because of ...Fognini!

Tenez,

imagine this thread in say, 30 years Laugh ....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 27 Sep 2011, 6:47 pm

noleisthebest wrote:Socal,

I think a lot of people simply cannot stomach what Nole did this year. Britain would've gone bananas if Murray had a year like that. And rightly so, may I say, but because it's Nole then...who cares if the others can't see it, anyway laughing

I don't think that is true at all! What a fantastic leap from some people saying that perhaps it is premature to call him 'great' to saying that they can't 'stomach what he did'

I am absolutely delighted to see Novak fulfill his potential, banish his demons and take on the tour as many predicted he would in 2008 - it has been a truly 'great' year, one of the best ever for a player.

I don't see why you and socal want to make it a them and us thing nitb,

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 27 Sep 2011, 6:54 pm

Because, what do you think we put up with for 7 years with Roger and then later Rafa? Every thread on old 606 was about Roger or Rafa. If not 90 percent of them. So me and Nitb, talk about our favorite player having a historic year and all of sudden this hypocritical view that we are cramming Djokovic down people's throats. The man is rightly the biggest story in tennis this year and deserves accolades.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 27 Sep 2011, 6:57 pm

Tenez wrote:An all time great that just missed the chance of achieveing the rare feat of winning the 4 slams in a season because of ...Fognini!

No not so much fogninni as the french draw rigging committee, poor scheduling, and a great performance from Roger aided by the other factors. In my mind the 2011 FO is the most tainted slam in recent memory, actually possibly since the wimbledon that all the players boycotted or the Australian open of the early 80s and 70s.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 27 Sep 2011, 6:59 pm

time please wrote:

I don't think that is true at all! What a fantastic leap from some people saying that perhaps it is premature to call him 'great' to saying that they can't 'stomach what he did'

I am absolutely delighted to see Novak fulfill his potential, banish his demons and take on the tour as many predicted he would in 2008 - it has been a truly 'great' year, one of the best ever for a player.

It's not you TP, actually, most people are balancedhere which is why it's a lot more enjoyable than the old 606, but even here, some have come up with unpleaseant jibes (even mods) telling me to tone down, use less smileys etc, I know where it was coming from (some extremely thin-skinned Nadal fans), and that bunch has cleared off to an unknown land, which is great.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Tue 27 Sep 2011, 7:08 pm

I do not know many anyone-but-Djoko fans out there. There are certainly more antiFed, Anti-Nadal and Anti-Murray out there than anti-nole fans. And that actually might be the problem cause it's the indifference that might actually do him more damage.

His game as I said many times is very much a product of Bolitieri (I know yuo disagree). No much different than Seles, Jankovic, Ivanovic but certainly more athletic and skilled than his compatriots.

I for instance have nothing against Djoko. In fact I owe him a lot for giving Nadal a bit of his own medecine and stopping this tennis Hulk from gabbing slams like the real Hulk grabs tanks.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue 27 Sep 2011, 7:35 pm

noleisthebest wrote:
time please wrote:

It's not you TP, actually, most people are balancedhere which is why it's a lot more enjoyable than the old 606, but even here, some have come up with unpleaseant jibes (even mods) telling me to tone down, use less smileys etc, I know where it was coming from (some extremely thin-skinned Nadal fans), and that bunch has cleared off to an unknown land, which is great.

I was going to say there only seems to be one or two Nadal fans here.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue 27 Sep 2011, 7:37 pm

How could anyone have a problem with Novak, he has the second most interesting game of the top 4 at the moment.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Tue 27 Sep 2011, 7:38 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:How could anyone have a problem with Novak, he has the second most interesting game of the top 4 at the moment.

posted that on the wrong thread... Wink

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 27 Sep 2011, 7:40 pm

"I do not know many anyone-but-Djoko fans out there. There are certainly more antiFed, Anti-Nadal and Anti-Murray out there than anti-nole fans. And that actually might be the problem cause it's the indifference that might actually do him more damage. "

Tenez,
I don't think any of the players care less about what "fans" do on blogs etc.
There are so many immature, weird characters out there on the web, for me, they are invisible.
I'm happy to "chat " with a few sane ones agree or disagree, learn and further enjoy tennis like that; the rest can wage they silly mind games to their hearts' content if that's what they want.

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:53 pm

noleisthebest wrote:It's not you TP, actually, most people are balancedhere which is why it's a lot more enjoyable than the old 606, but even here, some have come up with unpleaseant jibes (even mods) telling me to tone down, use less smileys etc, I know where it was coming from (some extremely thin-skinned Nadal fans), and that bunch has cleared off to an unknown land, which is great.

Hi nitbI think it is better than 606 too Hug - most of the time I think we all spar quite good naturedly and the forum seems to accomodate lots of different points of view and personalities.

Agree that certain groups of fans can be a little too thin skinned and are probably happier in a fan site devoted to 'their player' than a general tennis forum perhaps?

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:24 pm

So tell me, how would you all enjoy your crow? Do you like it with Hollandaise sauce, or do you like it straight up rare. Novak djokovic welcome to the pantheon of tennis greats. For those new to our lovely little forum it might be interesting to read up the dismissive comments of many here who doubted the obvious greatness of 5 time grandslam winner and world #1 Novak Djokovic.

I just like to reiterate I told you so! Sure this won't make me popular, but really on a night like this i don't care. Novak please accpet the cocktail from mr. mcenroe, the seat from Mr. Borg, at your righful place in the mt. Olympus of tennis.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:26 pm

I'm not trawling through this again, I don't think I said anything derogatory about him. I'd say he's a great now.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:29 pm

Nadal couldn't have played any better than he did in that last set, and still he couldn't get the victory... Federer, Murray and Nadal have all succumbed to 7-5 fifth set defeats to him. Really is a great stat for him.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:29 pm

Well of course he's an alltime great....there arent many players with 5+ slams, and won 3 in a row. The only question is whether his body can keep this up...you feel Nadal can keep doing this but I'm not so sure about Nole, I hope he doesnt break down again. Guess he has a good break now.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:32 pm

Break in the fifth, I didn't have you in mind when I brought up this classic from my magnum opus. Some may call me a sore winner, but really I don't care. Novak your greatness is no longer in doubt. You don't need to cry about Mtos, and time wasting, or thinly veiled criticisms of doping. You don't need to whine about big balls and too much sand in the courts. YOu have managed to slay the incredible dragon Rafael Nadal, 7 times on the trot.

Please tell me this match was boring. Because I think 90 percent of fans would disagree with you this is a match for the ages. The greatest Australian open in the history of this grand tournament.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:32 pm

socal1976 wrote:So tell me, how would you all enjoy your crow? Do you like it with Hollandaise sauce, or do you like it straight up rare. Novak djokovic welcome to the pantheon of tennis greats. For those new to our lovely little forum it might be interesting to read up the dismissive comments of many here who doubted the obvious greatness of 5 time grandslam winner and world #1 Novak Djokovic.

I just like to reiterate I told you so! Sure this won't make me popular, but really on a night like this i don't care. Novak please accpet the cocktail from mr. mcenroe, the seat from Mr. Borg, at your righful place in the mt. Olympus of tennis.
And he can get the drinks for Fed while he's at it. Laugh
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:33 pm

"you feel Nadal can keep doing this but I'm not so sure about Nole,"

why not? a 5 hr semi and now a 6 hr final and he kept up with Nadal. most observers gave Nadal the advantage because of the extra day's rest and the less strenuous match against Federer.

why is Novak looking frail to you?

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by coolpixel Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:35 pm

hey Mac, hope you enjoyed the match. whilst Fed's days of dining at the Slam table seem to be over, Djokovic does bring an attacking style which is a tad reminiscent of Fed

coolpixel

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:40 pm

lydian wrote:Well of course he's an alltime great....there arent many players with 5+ slams, and won 3 in a row. The only question is whether his body can keep this up...you feel Nadal can keep doing this but I'm not so sure about Nole, I hope he doesnt break down again. Guess he has a good break now.

Wasn't what everyone was saying a few months ago. Ladies and gentleman, I would like the record to show what the naysayers especially the federer apologists and radical federettes had to say on this thread. in their eternal pursuit of denigrating everyone not named federer. No one is doubting Fed's goathood. I actually have mondo respect for the Rog. but his fans, they tend to bite the big one. in their neverending quest to denigrate great champions like Novak, nadal, and yes even murray who toil for our entertainment. Tennis didn't begin and end with the Rog and his porno star cream colored jump suit (although I think it is very chic and rock starish). Novak welcome to mount olympus my young man. You deserve it, you put in the hard yards. And Rafa, you deserve all the respect in the world. Tennis is a cruel game and you have had your defeats but you are an all time great a legend of the game.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:42 pm

Djokovic is like a special hybrid player of Nadal and Fed. He can live with Nadal's relentlessness and Fed's immense shotmaking.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:45 pm

socal1976 wrote:
lydian wrote:Well of course he's an alltime great....there arent many players with 5+ slams, and won 3 in a row. The only question is whether his body can keep this up...you feel Nadal can keep doing this but I'm not so sure about Nole, I hope he doesnt break down again. Guess he has a good break now.

Wasn't what everyone was saying a few months ago. Ladies and gentleman, I would like the record to show what the naysayers especially the federer apologists and radical federettes had to say on this thread. in their eternal pursuit of denigrating everyone not named federer. No one is doubting Fed's goathood. I actually have mondo respect for the Rog. but his fans, they tend to bite the big one. in their neverending quest to denigrate great champions like Novak, nadal, and yes even murray who toil for our entertainment. Tennis didn't begin and end with the Rog and his porno star cream colored jump suit (although I think it is very chic and rock starish). Novak welcome to mount olympus my young man. You deserve it, you put in the hard yards. And Rafa, you deserve all the respect in the world. Tennis is a cruel game and you have had your defeats but you are an all time great a legend of the game.

Honestly, all the major players have some weirdos in their fanbase. I have to say it is a little sad to just bash them when their guy wasn't in the final. Jeeez, your guy won, can't you just consider whatever scores you have with other posters settled?

Last edited by reckoner on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp again doh)

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:45 pm

socal1976 wrote:

Lol socal but I hope Andy slows down his progress in taking over as the goat in the next few years!

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:46 pm

Yep Bit5th...Novak is actually the ideal all round player. He just needs to crack his clay slam duck. I truly believe he has the potential to break many records as long as his body can take it...and it did break down after USO.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pomar Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:48 pm

He just did it!

Pomar

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 29 Jan 2012, 3:49 pm

Tennis is the greatest game every invented. And don't you all forget it. I don't need 5 whiskey doubles in my blood and nearly 6 hour final to tell you what is what. Any champion that reaches this level deserves his respect. Yes Roger is the Zeus of mount olympus but Rafa is there so is Nole and the rest of the greats. Stop denigrating. Stop telling me how this beautiful epic final was boring. This was one for the ages, and i am sorry for you if you can't appreciate the art, the creative and athletic genius that this final encompassed.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 29 Jan 2012, 4:01 pm

socal1976 wrote:Tennis is the greatest game every invented. And don't you all forget it. I don't need 5 whiskey doubles in my blood and nearly 6 hour final to tell you what is what. Any champion that reaches this level deserves his respect. Yes Roger is the Zeus of mount olympus but Rafa is there so is Nole and the rest of the greats. Stop denigrating. Stop telling me how this beautiful epic final was boring. This was one for the ages, and i am sorry for you if you can't appreciate the art, the creative and athletic genius that this final encompassed.

yeah but, like it really was BORING!

Run

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 29 Jan 2012, 4:07 pm

REckoner you thought this match was boring? Really? Then just stop watching tennis this was an all time classic. Don't take my word for it, look at the 20000 fans that stayed there till 1 in the morning and listen to what the media will say about in the coming days. It was amazing, a masterclass of will and ability. If you can't appreciate it, well then I am sorry for you.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 29 Jan 2012, 4:12 pm

socal1976 wrote:REckoner you thought this match was boring? Really? Then just stop watching tennis this was an all time classic. Don't take my word for it, look at the 20000 fans that stayed there till 1 in the morning and listen to what the media will say about in the coming days. It was amazing, a masterclass of will and ability. If you can't appreciate it, well then I am sorry for you.

Oh, don't be, I have plenty of other interests.

I genuinely found this tedious. There is a real lack of finesse in this version of the game where players absolutely exhaust themselves on every point. It leads to error-strewn repetitive play, and that just bores me! A genuine question of taste I'm afraid!

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 29 Jan 2012, 4:14 pm

Fair enough I loved every second of it. And I would have said the very same thing Novak lost. Sure I would have been heartbroken but would never say this final was boring. Read the reviews tomorrow and see if anyone else found it boring.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sun 29 Jan 2012, 4:17 pm

socal1976 wrote:So tell me, how would you all enjoy your crow? Do you like it with Hollandaise sauce, or do you like it straight up rare. Novak djokovic welcome to the pantheon of tennis greats. For those new to our lovely little forum it might be interesting to read up the dismissive comments of many here who doubted the obvious greatness of 5 time grandslam winner and world #1 Novak Djokovic.

I think it was fair of posters to say, let's wait and see,before we all anoint Novak, based on great season. If Federer was in the same position, I would have said the same thing. Having one great season, after not really making a dent in slams for the past three years, I would have said the same thing. People only began to mention Federer as a possible great when he began to extend his dominance over the course of two-three seasons.

Novak has now rightfully cemented his place in tennis history, with this great victory.

Again, nothing against Novak, but please be a bit more measured in your comments.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by reckoner Sun 29 Jan 2012, 4:18 pm

socal1976 wrote:Fair enough I loved every second of it. And I would have said the very same thing Novak lost. Sure I would have been heartbroken but would never say this final was boring. Read the reviews tomorrow and see if anyone else found it boring.

well, crowds continued to cheer during the (boring) ace-fests in the nineties, so that's not really my yardstick.

I'm glad Djoker won through - it is such a pleasure to watch Nadal lose.

reckoner

Back to top Go down

Post by kemet Sun 29 Jan 2012, 4:20 pm

reckoner wrote:
socal1976 wrote:REckoner you thought this match was boring? Really? Then just stop watching tennis this was an all time classic. Don't take my word for it, look at the 20000 fans that stayed there till 1 in the morning and listen to what the media will say about in the coming days. It was amazing, a masterclass of will and ability. If you can't appreciate it, well then I am sorry for you.

Oh, don't be, I have plenty of other interests.

I genuinely found this tedious. There is a real lack of finesse in this version of the game where players absolutely exhaust themselves on every point. It leads to error-strewn repetitive play, and that just bores me! A genuine question of taste I'm afraid!

Unfortunately, that's what it takes to be at the top of the game nowadays and I don't fault Djokovic for it. It is nigh impossible to beat Rafa playing classical tennis anymore.

kemet

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 29 Jan 2012, 4:20 pm

YAEEEEEEEEEEAHHHH Yahoo Bubbly

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 29 Jan 2012, 4:24 pm

Kemet you are the voice of reason but five slams and seven victories in a row over the legendary bull of mallorca is enough to get the title of great my friend. I just like to say you heard it here first. Nitb, loving life right now, congratulations you deserve this more than anyone.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 29 Jan 2012, 4:26 pm

socal1976 wrote:

It's funny, I have huge respect for Djoko, but some of his fans.....

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 29 Jan 2012, 4:34 pm

Sorry, Julius I am not gracious especially when it comes to the legion of federettes who have to knock the current game and every champion that has come after Roger. i would count you as one of the many fans of Fed that I respect. But there is a fringe group of Fed fans, and you can't deny it, who just hang around to denigrate nadal, novak, murray and the modern game. And I am sorry if that makes me unpopular but I can't stand them.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 29 Jan 2012, 4:40 pm

socal1976 wrote:Sorry, Julius I am not gracious especially when it comes to the legion of federettes who have to knock the current game and every champion that has come after Roger. i would count you as one of the many fans of Fed that I respect. But there is a fringe group of Fed fans, and you can't deny it, who just hang around to denigrate nadal, novak, murray and the modern game. And I am sorry if that makes me unpopular but I can't stand them.

That's true, but there are fans of all the top players that do that to all other top players. Plenty of Fed and Murray and Rafa bashing, and now Djoko - it comes with being the best (or not, in Murray's case, alas). Bash back against the posters, by all means, but try not to tar the players with the same brush. Or just rise above - don't let their negativity become yours, or it'll spoil the moment for you.
Your guy won, neither you nor he require the appreciation/validation of others. Just enjoy!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Sun 29 Jan 2012, 4:42 pm

Can't understand all the doubting Thomases who say "oh yes but it's only one year of great tennis" ...etc.

Facts speak for themselves and nobody can beat this guy at the moment. Even Federer never looked so unbeatable.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 29 Jan 2012, 4:59 pm

I'll take quality vs. quantity any day NOLEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Yahoo

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:00 pm

noleisthebest wrote:I'll take quality vs. quantity any day NOLEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Yahoo

might not ever have been drunk before, but clearly well on the way now Hug

Edit - Damn, you corrected the typos Smile

Last edited by JuliusHMarx on Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:00 pm

Newballs and Julius, I honestly am not the combative type. But I feel very protective of my favorite player I am sure you can understand. This final was something very special and very historic. Neither man gave an inch, and fought for everything they got. Newballs, you are right, 3 slams in row puts Novak in elite company. And if he wins RG we have to start calling him Laverovic as the only other man to win 4 straight grannies.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next