The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has Djokovic joined the ranks of the tennis greats, whatever that means?

+40
reckoner
coolpixel
break_in_the_fifth
time please
eraldeen
icecold
Manojchandra
FedsFan
Leff
barrystar
JuliusHMarx
Josiah Maiestas
sirfredperry
noleisthebest
CAS
consigliare
CaledonianCraig
Thomond
Jeremy_Kyle
denzilsmom
yummymummy
88Chris05
luciusmann
wow
lydian
bogbrush
Tom_____
graf_the_greatest
Solerina
slashermcguirk
dummy_half
ebar86
yloponom68
sonic_boom10
Mad for Chelsea
Wooffie
Tenez
legendkillar
sportslover
socal1976
44 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Has Djokovic joined the ranks of the tennis greats, whatever that means? - Page 6 Empty Has Djokovic joined the ranks of the tennis greats, whatever that means?

Post by socal1976 Sat 28 May 2011, 6:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

Of course I am highly partial. But I think its time to discuss this issue. Novak has been in the top 3 for the last 5 years. In an era dominated by 2 goat candidates. He has a davis cup, 24 tournament victories, 9 master's series wins, a year end championship, an olympic medal in singles, and a Davis Cup. On the grandslam stage he has been to 4 grandslam finals, with 2 grandslam championships. Not to mention that he is the youngest player in history to make the semis or better of 4 grandslam events. In my mind if he retired tomorrow he would be one of the legends of the game. And his current streak only adds to the luster, he is now the holder of the 3rd longest winning streak in the open era. He is virtually guaranteed of attaining the #1 ranking at least for a few months following his stellar start. Where would you place on his current achievements? I would put him among the very elite of the game. Not top ten of all time in terms of legacy but closing fast. And if he retired tomorrow, he would rank higher in my mind than any of the players that have won 2 slams on the strength of his accomplishing all that he has in the Fedal era and his consistent level of play. As I watched the del potro match, and witnessed the startling level of hitting that Djokovic displayed I was struck with one thought. "I have never seen anybody hit and move like this before, nobody, and I mean nobody". yes there are those players with bigger serves, with better volleys. But when you look at movement and baseline play Djokovic has to rate at the very, very top of the game. He is so good at that style of play that he has bested the very best baseliner/defender we have seen in the modern era and has sent him scurrying for answers in the last fortnight. It is no Djoke to beat federer and Nadal seven straight times. His record against top 5 competition is 10-0, against top ten players it is 13-0. Novak, you are one of the greatest players of all time, a legend of the game and with so much more left to accomplish.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Has Djokovic joined the ranks of the tennis greats, whatever that means? - Page 6 Empty Re: Has Djokovic joined the ranks of the tennis greats, whatever that means?

Post by noleisthebest Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:01 pm

No, not yet Wink I'm trying haaard, all those hours of sweatin in the gym are payin off Yahoo

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Has Djokovic joined the ranks of the tennis greats, whatever that means? - Page 6 Empty Re: Has Djokovic joined the ranks of the tennis greats, whatever that means?

Post by socal1976 Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:05 pm

Nitb, Knock him if you like but Novak is the king and there is no denying.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by droogle Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:18 pm

Novak has the opportunity to hold all 4 slams. He is already a great but that would really be something, particularly if he does it beating the best clay-courter of all time.

droogle

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:19 pm

socal1976 wrote:Nitb, Knock him if you like but Novak is the king and there is no denying.

YEEEEAHHH
Hug

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:20 pm

droogle wrote:Novak has the opportunity to hold all 4 slams. He is already a great but that would really be something, particularly if he does it beating the best clay-courter of all time.

Borg is making a comeback?? Run

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 29 Jan 2012, 5:26 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
droogle wrote:Novak has the opportunity to hold all 4 slams. He is already a great but that would really be something, particularly if he does it beating the best clay-courter of all time.

Borg is making a comeback?? Run
Are we talking slow or fast clay here? chin

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 29 Jan 2012, 6:03 pm

Slow or fast clay if I was Rafa the last guy I would want to see in an RG finals is one super Novak.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 29 Jan 2013, 6:20 am

Oh I know, I shouldn't but a lot of Socal's old threads keep getting brought back up, of course I saw greatness when he beat then number 1, 2, and 3 in the world in Canada in the summer of 2007 and reached the USO final, although I first became fan at Miami 07. I thought it would be fun to bring this old thread up well frankly because I like to brag about my Nostrafreakingdamus like abilites. I have never been modest, I particularly like our dear esteemed friend Tenez's prediction, what are we going to call the guy who beats him in a year or 2 (early 2011), and don't get me wrong I actually do like Tenez as delusionally wrong as I think he is about tennis.At that time the consensus was that 6 slams, 6 slams was the cutoff for greatness. My own estimate for Nole was a 3-6 slam winner and this was after his first AO victory, well it turns out I underestimated Nole.

Julius how can I change my name Nostrafreakingdamus and still maintain my post count as I am very close to the 10,000 mark and I deeply value that accomplishment in futility and wasted time.

Just thought a bit of a time capsule would be fun, and since my foginni!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (ya filthy sob) thread has become part of the inglorious history of 606v2, I thought this time capsule would be interesting in particular the first page. And for your information I make sure to know where this thread is in the page count so I can bring it back after each and every Novak slam win.

Enjoy the nostalgia and my legendarily self important prognostication skillz. Oh why, why did I not dedicate myself to predicting stock market fluctuations as opposed to this?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6