The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Frampton the best of British?

+14
catchweight
88Chris05
rob-glos
Coxy001
Herman Jaeger
milkyboy
ONETWOFOREVER
TopHat24/7
Strongback
hazharrison
hampo17
Hammersmith harrier
Derbymanc
Seanusarrilius
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is Frampton the best of British? Empty Is Frampton the best of British?

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:22 pm

Frampton looks better every time we see him. He has power, speed, punch variation and footwork. He destroyed Avalos last night.

I thought ITV did a great job with the show last night, too.

Hopefully they can make the Quigg fight on terrestrial TV. Frampton would stop Quigg inside 10, IMO.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Is Frampton the best of British? Empty Re: Is Frampton the best of British?

Post by Derbymanc Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:32 pm

I fear we may not find out Sean, gotta a horrible feeling he's going to start to be protected a bit (not that he needs it imo) and start being a money earner. (something about Bazza shouting about the money split last night proper rubbed me up the wrong way.)

Hope i'm wrong and would like to see Frampton in with Rigo, live on ITV and really put him in a decent postion.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:36 pm

Unless he fights Rigondeaux then we have no way of knowing, would currently have him behind Froch, Khan and Brook, all of whom are that bit more proven. Beating a Martinez vanquished twice by Munroe and Avalos isn't going to elevate him any higher than at the moment.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:41 pm

I'd have him above Brook personally but behind Froch and Khan.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:42 pm

Froch remains Britain's number one but Frampton is closing fast. The Martinez win was superb (both were actually) considering how much Martinez had improved over recent years.

In terms of all round ability, Frampton looks Britain's most complete fighter. He has everything.

It will be Quigg next, then hopefully someone like Donaire. I would love to see the Rigondeuax fight next year - Frampton had a real chance against him.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:43 pm

I think we will get the Quigg fight. If you watch this post fight presser, you will see that McGuigan understands they can't be greedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDkotdExV2Y

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:44 pm

hazharrison wrote:Froch remains Britain's number one but Frampton is closing fast. The Martinez win was superb (both were actually) considering how much Martinez had improved over recent years.

In terms of all round ability, Frampton looks Britain's most complete fighter. He has everything.

It will be Quigg next, then hopefully someone like Donaire. I would love to see the Rigondeuax fight next year - Frampton had a real chance against him.

Agree with all points!

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:45 pm

Derbymanc wrote:I fear we may not find out Sean, gotta a horrible feeling he's going to start to be protected a bit (not that he needs it imo) and start being a money earner. (something about Bazza shouting about the money split last night proper rubbed me up the wrong way.)

Hope i'm wrong and would like to see Frampton in with Rigo, live on ITV and really put him in a decent postion.

I think you're way off DM. McGuigan was merely underlining that Frampton is the attraction but they'd be willing to compromise on venue (and even offered to share less money if the fight could go out on ITV.

After Quigg, they may look for a marquee name before going after Rigondeuax but I can't see them taking easy fights - McGuigan doesn't operate that way.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 01 Mar 2015, 5:50 pm

As said, Haz, I hope i'm wrong he just seemed to be pushing the money angle too much for my liking. Mentioned it 3/4 times if I remember right.

Am hoping he gets a decent deal with ITV and if Hearn refuses to move on letting it be televised there then have him go after LSC or Rigo.

The time for haggling and pushing over money is behind closed doors, not going on about it on TV.

I don't for one minute think Frampton would turn down a fight with anyone though, whether McGuigan will push for them fights remains to be seen.

Cheers for that Sean (aftermath), still not convinced with Barry like. Don't like the way he talks down to Quigg as a 'regular' champ but doesn't mention Rigo's belt, plus think someone/anyone should have countered when he spouted about Frampton being no.1.

Absolutely loving the talk about terrestrial tv though ('forget PPV, put it on terrestrial and make the pair of them superstars clap ') dunno how I missed that first time of watching it.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:07 pm

Derbymanc wrote:As said, Haz, I hope i'm wrong he just seemed to be pushing the money angle too much for my liking. Mentioned it 3/4 times if I remember right.

Am hoping he gets a decent deal with ITV and if Hearn refuses to move on letting it be televised there then have him go after LSC or Rigo.

The time for haggling and pushing over money is behind closed doors, not going on about it on TV.

I don't for one minute think Frampton would turn down a fight with anyone though, whether McGuigan will push for them fights remains to be seen.

Cheers for that Sean (aftermath), still not convinced with Barry like. Don't like the way he talks down to Quigg as a 'regular' champ but doesn't mention Rigo's belt, plus think someone/anyone should have countered when he spouted about Frampton being no.1.

Absolutely loving the talk about terrestrial tv though ('forget PPV, put it on terrestrial and make the pair of them superstars clap ') dunno how I missed that first time of watching it.

I think Quigg happens next - just a matter of whether it's ITV or Sky. Can't see the Hearns giving up a PPV date, though. Unlike McGuigan, I don't think they're thinking long-term with Quigg.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:09 pm

I thought that was a great commen about sharing less money Haz, it made it clear who's court the ball is now in. Eddie will want this PPV and on Sky though and I doubt the fight happens any other way.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:11 pm

The cynic in me thinks Mcguigan is all for show at the moment, wanting to give of a perception about himself and Frampton that isn't close to reality. They will avoid Rigondeaux as they have already and in fairness as everyone has, once they do that it's all just pointless words.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:15 pm

To be fair HH he states in the interview that they're not looking at Rigo now (and also that Gary Hyde should talk to him before telling reporters Rigo's free for it)

He talks a lot of sense in that terrestrial TV could make the pair of them stars with a lot more people and ergo make more money in the long run.

Think maybe i'm just getting jaded in my old age and look forward to him shoving it down my throat to sign to fight Rigo/LSC or Quigg next.

P.S Thought Frampton came across really well in that interview as well

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:21 pm

hampo171 wrote:I thought that was a great commen about sharing less money Haz, it made it clear who's court the ball is now in. Eddie will want this PPV and on Sky though and I doubt the fight happens any other way.

It's a shame Hearn has to be involved really. McGuigan said Quigg wasn't tied to Sky.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:22 pm

Matchroom however are so by association Quigg is.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:26 pm

Derbymanc wrote:To be fair HH he states in the interview that they're not looking at Rigo now (and also that Gary Hyde should talk to him before telling reporters Rigo's free for it)

He talks a lot of sense in that terrestrial TV could make the pair of them stars with a lot more people and ergo make more money in the long run.

Think maybe i'm just getting jaded in my old age and look forward to him shoving it down my throat to sign to fight Rigo/LSC or Quigg next.

P.S Thought Frampton came across really well in that interview as well

LSC has shown no inclination to fight any of the top men. Now allied to Haymon and the PBC, who knows where his career goes next?

I'm convinced it will be Frampton vs Quigg outdoors in the summer. The leveraging McGuigan was doing was probably to warn Hearn about being sensible in negotiations.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:29 pm

Expect LSC to fight somebody like Moreno or Gutierrez, he'll be carry on beating up on smaller Hispanic fighters for a while longer yet.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:44 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Matchroom however are so by association Quigg is.

No he isn't. Hence the point of him signing a fight-by-fight contract.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 01 Mar 2015, 6:49 pm

I think they just said Hearn doesn't manage him as he's self managed. Was also quite funny how they said Quigg had bought his own ticket for the fight.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 01 Mar 2015, 9:57 pm

I really hope this happens. McGuigan wants it but I see his point about TV. Can't get ITV involved and then take the next fight to PPV. ITV will walk if they do that. Hearn needs to back down on this one as McGuigan seems to understand that making a little less money is worth it if it ignites public interest. PPV is still obscure in comparison to the exposure boxing gets from ITV, no matter how many times Sky Sports have the fighters on their news feed

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 01 Mar 2015, 10:16 pm

Frampton could well be the best Brit until he loses of course. Then he'll be from that god forsaken lump of rock that is costing the British tax payer billions.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 01 Mar 2015, 10:22 pm

As long as he doesn't get lumped down with the kak he'll be alright Strongy, Mcguigans still looked on fondly as a brit.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 01 Mar 2015, 10:29 pm

Barry the Brit isn't looked on that fondly by everybody as was commented on last night in the pub I was in.

As we say over here 'Barry would say Mass'.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 02 Mar 2015, 9:29 am

Better than saying "No Mass"

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 02 Mar 2015, 10:05 am

Loving Carl Frampton, certainly my favourite British boxer of the moment but, as they've been operating at/near the top for longer, I'd still have Froch and Khan ahead of him (for now).

Am fearful that Hearns may be the Arum in getting Framps-Quigg sorted though. Really should be on ITV, would be massive, but I think Hearn will be pushing hard for Sky/PPV and I'd worry this would get in the way.

Have a suspicion LSC, especially now he's with Haymon, won't be interested in getting the fight made. More likely to take one or two 'ok' fights then move up a division.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 02 Mar 2015, 10:08 am

People are getting carried away with Frampton who I rate but he has not been really tested yet.

Hopefully his next 3 fights will be as follows

Quigg
Cruz
Rigo

I can't see Frampton winning any of those fights I'm afraid but the Quigg fight would be a close fight.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 02 Mar 2015, 10:40 am

That would be the perfect run of opposition onetwo. I see the outcomes differently to you though. Frampton has an excellent all round skill set but he looks like he prefers guys who come to fight. I think a slippery boxer gives him the most trouble, I think they know that too and would prefer to let rigo age a bit while they take the others.

Quigg and Lsc would be excellent fights, but I think he beats them both.

Is he the best of British/Irish? Potentially, but a bit early to say

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 02 Mar 2015, 10:46 am

If the Quigg fight can't be made, the one that looks easy to make is Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz is willing to travel unless I'm mistaken and that really will be a big fight. But obviously the Quigg fight should come first, let's hope so it really is getting a bit tiresome now.

Excellent stoppage by the referee on Saturday too. Spot on.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 02 Mar 2015, 10:54 am

A fight with Santa Cruz will be anything but easy to make, he's shown a willingness to travel around America as long as it has a large Hispanic population, in short he's fairly restricted to California, Texas and Nevada.

Not sure where the idea has come from that he's willing to travel?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 02 Mar 2015, 10:56 am

Eddie Hearn on Twitter

@sheppast these kind of fights don't come around often - fighters should fight for the most money possible secure their family's future

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:00 am

He's said it a thousand times on YouTube. He wants to visit other countries and experience new cultures.

Look it up for yourself.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:01 am

Herman Jaggery wrote:He's said it a thousand times on YouTube. He wants to visit other countries and experience new cultures.

Look it up for yourself.

Vacation???

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:02 am

Paid vacations are always better.

Hope someone points out to Eddie that more viewers on ITV and a good fight by both, means more fans for the fighters and ultimately more money in the long run.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:07 am

Think Quigg>LSC>Rigo is the perfect run, a step up each time.

And I think Framps beats Quigg fine (not easily, mind) and, personally, think he's got more at his best than LSC does. It'll be an exciting tear-up and Framps will have to fight at a level he's not before, but I think his all round skill set gets him the win.

Rigo is tricky, the most stylistically difficult fight for Framps and the least likely to win. However, given that we'd be predicting in 12-18 months time, I'd still find it hard to call. Now, still think Rigo takes it by reasonable points margin (albeit with a scare or two) but I just don't know how Rigo will be doing with another 12-18 months on the clock.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:09 am

Eddie's only interested in short term gain, don't think he always looks at things long term. Surprising seeing as he has the astute Barry behind him.

Last edited by Herman Jaggery on Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:10 am

Derbymanc wrote:Paid vacations are always better.

Hope someone points out to Eddie that more viewers on ITV and a good fight by both, means more fans for the fighters and ultimately more money in the long run.

Yeh, that smells to me like Eddie setting up for a hard-sell on Sky PPV Sad

Assuming it's only ITV's second fight, I can't see them stumping up sufficient cash to pull it away - there's too much uncertainty on how much they'd make back on advertising.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:14 am

Herman Jaggery wrote:He's said it a thousand times on YouTube. He wants to visit other countries and experience new cultures.

Look it up for yourself.

He's got a funny way of showing it, fighting in the same country every time, words are very cheap especially when they're the words of a boxer managed by Al Haymon.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:26 am

Maybe you know something I don't. So you are stating as fact Leo won't take the fight in Ireland?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:35 am

I am saying he won't take the fight in Ireland, it doesn't comply with his modus operandi of fighting Hispanic fighters in heavily Hispanic regions.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:41 am

Yes but are you stating it as fact?

Answer the question please.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:43 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:

Assuming it's only ITV's second fight, I can't see them stumping up sufficient cash to pull it away - there's too much uncertainty on how much they'd make back on advertising.

Barry's looking at the bigger picture. If Frampton and Quigg could become household names, the chances are they'd make a good living once their careers are over (personal appearances, TV appearances and the like).

They could make a bucket of money on Sky PPV but once that's gone (and they're retired), where do they go?

Real shame if the fight winds up on Sky PPV - the hardcore fans pay through the nose and the casual fans don't watch it.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:47 am

Rigo wins and wins easily. Fail to see where Frampton is able to match him to be honest. All he can hope for is that Rigo is sliding off the cliff of being at his peak.

Barry Mac is digging his heels in that they would have to fight on ITV knowing full well Eddie has his stable contracted to Sky. There's something that horribly annoys me about Barry as well, just seems like he's trying to relive past glories through Frampton and that it's all about him. Winds me up.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 02 Mar 2015, 11:56 am

Much as I'd love to see it on ITV, it's quite clear the fight does better on Sky.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 02 Mar 2015, 12:02 pm

Why do you think it does better on Sky Herman?

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 02 Mar 2015, 12:05 pm

Coxy001 wrote:Rigo wins and wins easily. Fail to see where Frampton is able to match him to be honest. All he can hope for is that Rigo is sliding off the cliff of being at his peak.

Barry Mac is digging his heels in that they would have to fight on ITV knowing full well Eddie has his stable contracted to Sky. There's something that horribly annoys me about Barry as well, just seems like he's trying to relive past glories through Frampton and that it's all about him. Winds me up.

I don't believe Rigo wins easily. He remains favourite right now but I'd give Frampton every chance.

Quigg isn't contracted to Sky. McGuigan's proposing they show the fight on ITV (perfectly doable). Hearn, though, wants to maximise profits by going down the PPV route.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 02 Mar 2015, 12:14 pm

Thing is though that if he beats Quigg, ITV will be even keener to go with him knowing their product is proven. Don't see any difficulties arising there.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 02 Mar 2015, 12:19 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Why do you think it does better on Sky Herman?

Financially. But not being an expert on such matters, I stand to be corrected.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 02 Mar 2015, 12:20 pm

hazharrison wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:Rigo wins and wins easily. Fail to see where Frampton is able to match him to be honest. All he can hope for is that Rigo is sliding off the cliff of being at his peak.

I don't believe Rigo wins easily. He remains favourite right now but I'd give Frampton every chance.

Quigg isn't contracted to Sky. McGuigan's proposing they show the fight on ITV (perfectly doable). Hearn, though, wants to maximise profits by going down the PPV route.

Darn that bastard Hearn, trying to maximise his earnings and thus his fighters earnings.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 02 Mar 2015, 12:21 pm

I'm fairly sure Mcguigan is wrong with what he's saying about Quiggs contract, he has a promotional contract with Matchroom (not a fight by fight one) and they in turn have a contract with Sky. Quigg does not have a direct contract with Sky but he will be fighting under the Matchroom promotional banner so has no option but to fight on Sky.

Brook, Froch, Bellew and every other Matchroom boxer is in the same position.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 02 Mar 2015, 12:22 pm

hazharrison wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Barry's looking at the bigger picture. If Frampton and Quigg could become household names, the chances are they'd make a good living once their careers are over (personal appearances, TV appearances and the like).

They could make a bucket of money on Sky PPV but once that's gone (and they're retired), where do they go?

Real shame if the fight winds up on Sky PPV - the hardcore fans pay through the nose and the casual fans don't watch it.

Do you mean Barry Mc? I agree he is, and I agree with why it's a sensible move, but my worry is still Hearn only seeing short term dollar signs.

I think Team Frampton should be willing to concede on venue if it means staying on ITV. Should be confident enough of winning that the where is not important.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next