The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andre Ward vs.....

+25
Steffan
Hammersmith harrier
tunes666
hazharrison
RanjitPatel
Rodney
TRUSSMAN66
TopHat24/7
Coxy001
88Chris05
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
BoxingFan88
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Gerry SA
ONETWOFOREVER
kingraf
Soldier_Of_Fortune
milkyboy
Strongback
catchweight
John Bloody Wayne
Scottrf
bellchees
wheelchair1991
hampo17
29 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Andre Ward vs..... - Page 3 Empty Andre Ward vs.....

Post by hampo17 Mon 16 Mar 2015, 6:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ricardo Mayorga.

Don't care how long he's been out of the ring this is a BS fight. Was only two fights ago that Cotto stopped him. furious

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Andre Ward vs..... - Page 3 Empty Re: Andre Ward vs.....

Post by hampo17 Sat 21 Mar 2015, 1:17 am

How about fighting a live opponent? If a prospect was fighting Mayorga he'd be crucified, Ward is no different.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 21 Mar 2015, 12:01 pm

hampo171 wrote:How about fighting a live opponent? If a prospect was fighting Mayorga he'd be crucified, Ward is no different.

Ward has already been crucified

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 21 Mar 2015, 12:21 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
hampo171 wrote:How about fighting a live opponent? If a prospect was fighting Mayorga he'd be crucified, Ward is no different.

Given the comments on the cotto thread, its quite ironic that you've nicked my awful joke from earlier in the thread. Very Happy

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 21 Mar 2015, 12:34 pm

milkyboy wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:

Given the comments on the cotto thread, its quite ironic that you've nicked my awful joke from earlier in the thread. Very Happy

Haha Some opportunities should never be missed

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 21 Mar 2015, 12:56 pm

Laugh

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun 22 Mar 2015, 9:41 pm

hampo171 wrote:Tunes it is an unknown whether Ward is still one of the best, he may well be but Mayorga isn't going to show us whether this lay off has done him any harm, there will still be questions should this fight happen.

So you think Ward VS Froch will be a close fight?

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 22 Mar 2015, 9:51 pm

If Ward was fighting on Boxnation or SKY on a warren or Hearn card................Hampo would love this fight..

and his autograph book would be open...

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sun 22 Mar 2015, 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 23 Mar 2015, 1:40 am

Got nothing to do with the channel Truss, and by trying to make a clever statement you've made yourself look a complete five knuckle shuffle.

Tunes, I've never said that fight would be close, what you can not deny is that its a live opponent. Honestly if you think him fighting Mayorga is even close to a good fight, you have much lower standards than 99% the boxing fans out there. The discussion of this fight has been met with an extremely poor response, you're the only person I've seen or spoken to who thinks it's acceptable.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 23 Mar 2015, 9:10 am

Why is Joshua fighting Thompson really bad and a waste of time, but Ward Vs Mayorga is fine?

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 23 Mar 2015, 11:37 am

Tunes, the only man that could in the same breath state that Ward is so good he'd still hand Froch, the division #2, his backside but equally apparently needs a warm-up/comeback fight so poor a 10 fight novice would be embarassed to take it laughing

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 23 Mar 2015, 11:53 am

Have no problem with any fighter taking a tune up before a big fight ..............

Chavez did it all the time...

Who remembers Craig Houk 51-23............Before defending against Kamau.........(Toppy won't)

Some of you guys are saying that Ward might not have it anymore.........Maybe he'd like to see how sharp he is too.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 23 Mar 2015, 11:58 am

Again though Truss, why is Ward allowed a 'tune up' fight (lets be honest, it's not even a tune up fight) yet Joshua isn't allowed to test himself against better opposition before stepping up properly.

One is supposed to be one of the best boxers out there, the other is still a novice YET it's the novice getting slated Erm

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 23 Mar 2015, 12:05 pm

What does beating a 41 year old blown up light welterweight prove? This is little more than an exhibition fight, you moan all the time about one sided fights but you're defending this one.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 23 Mar 2015, 12:08 pm

True, but Chavez fought regularly Truss - incredibly regularly by modern standards. He was never out of the ring for long and basically always had a legitimate fight on the horizon.

On the other hand, Ward has boxed twice in over three years. What people are concerned about is that he takes a Mayorga tune up but then spends another six to eight months afterwards sitting around, being coy on who he does / doesn't want to fight, letting time pass and then saying that he needs another tune up because of ring rust - and round and round we go. Nobody minded Chavez keeping busy or padding his record with journeymen because there was always a guarantee that he had a title defence (a decent one) or a big fight coming very soon afterwards. No such guarantees with Ward.

For what it's worth, I agree that Ward is well entitled to a tune up. In fact, if I was in his position I'd want one just to be sure the cobwebs have been blown away, too (albeit I think he still beats Froch without too much hassle right now). But it's a balancing act - a tune up is fine, just not against Mayorga. There's safe bets, and then there's complete freak show fights. What's wrong with fighting someone who at least belongs in the Super-Middle division and isn't the wrong side of forty? Paul Smith, Rebrasse, Steiglitz, a Bika return, Sturm, Sanchez etc - that kind of opponent would be perfectly fine, for me. A tune up isn't going to be against a title holder or one of the very best 168 pounders, but surely we should expect better than Mayorga given how infrequently we're likely to see Ward in the ring over the coming years?

Mind you, as I said before I doubt there's much validity in the rumours. But if by some chance it did happen, I think Ward would be leaving himself open to legitimate criticism.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 23 Mar 2015, 12:19 pm

88Chris05 wrote:True, but Chavez fought regularly Truss - incredibly regularly by modern standards. He was never out of the ring for long and basically always had a legitimate fight on the horizon.

On the other hand, Ward has boxed twice in over three years. What people are concerned about is that he takes a Mayorga tune up but then spends another six to eight months afterwards sitting around, being coy on who he does / doesn't want to fight, letting time pass and then saying that he needs another tune up because of ring rust - and round and round we go. Nobody minded Chavez keeping busy or padding his record with journeymen because there was always a guarantee that he had a title defence (a decent one) or a big fight coming very soon afterwards. No such guarantees with Ward.

For what it's worth, I agree that Ward is well entitled to a tune up. In fact, if I was in his position I'd want one just to be sure the cobwebs have been blown away, too (albeit I think he still beats Froch without too much hassle right now). But it's a balancing act - a tune up is fine, just not against Mayorga. There's safe bets, and then there's complete freak show fights. What's wrong with fighting someone who at least belongs in the Super-Middle division and isn't the wrong side of forty? Paul Smith, Rebrasse, Steiglitz, a Bika return, Sturm, Sanchez etc - that kind of opponent would be perfectly fine, for me. A tune up isn't going to be against a title holder or one of the very best 168 pounders, but surely we should expect better than Mayorga given how infrequently we're likely to see Ward in the ring over the coming years?

Mind you, as I said before I doubt there's much validity in the rumours. But if by some chance it did happen, I think Ward would be leaving himself open to legitimate criticism.

Well If Chavez fought more regularly and needed them...............You've made my point.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 23 Mar 2015, 12:22 pm

It doesn't say he needed them Truss?

It says people could put up with it because you knew he'd fight a decent opponent afterwards, Ward will just fight another bum and claim it as a tune up cause he won't box again for 8 months.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 23 Mar 2015, 12:25 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:True, but Chavez fought regularly Truss - incredibly regularly by modern standards. He was never out of the ring for long and basically always had a legitimate fight on the horizon.

Well If Chavez fought more regularly and needed them...............You've made my point.

Chavez had what 35 world title fights in his career, a record at the time and like the old timers fought regularly to stay in shape and to stay sharp, take out all the crap and he was still fighting four times a year compared to Ward's twice in three.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 23 Mar 2015, 12:28 pm

So what....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 23 Mar 2015, 12:29 pm

Chavez is Mexican and Ward is American, got it.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 23 Mar 2015, 12:31 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Chavez is Mexican and Ward is American, got it.

I'm not knocking Chavez you prat..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 23 Mar 2015, 12:32 pm

You are however using his entirely different circumstances to defend Andre Ward which equates to the same thing really, if Chavez can do it why can't Ward.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 23 Mar 2015, 12:35 pm

I'm saying Chavez liked tuneups..................Ward probably wants one too.......

Mayorga isn't worst than a 51-23 journeyman...

Now calm down dear !

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 23 Mar 2015, 12:36 pm

It's no better for someone that's supposed to be one of the best on the planet.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 23 Mar 2015, 12:37 pm

Are you missing the point entirely, Chavez had tune ups in between his four world title fights a year, Ward wants a tune up for what exactly his one fight in the next two years?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 23 Mar 2015, 12:39 pm

All pretty moot as Ward isn't fighting Mayorga.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 23 Mar 2015, 12:41 pm

If Leonard can have a tuneup against Howard............Ward can have one...........

All this moaning about a guy who If he was British would probably be the greatest fighter ever to come from these parts.

Bet posters on here wouldn't be moaning then..............Then again maybe they would as Brits p**s on all their fighters...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 23 Mar 2015, 12:44 pm

You need to move forward from the 80's and drop the nationalistic crap, it's not adding anything to the argument, you over-rate him far too much. You seem to forget that most see beyond a boxers nationality, you however are fixated upon it and it becomes your whole pitiful argument.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 23 Mar 2015, 12:45 pm

Okay....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 23 Mar 2015, 1:14 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If Leonard can have a tuneup against Howard............Ward can have one...........

All this moaning about a guy who If he was British would probably be the greatest fighter ever to come from these parts.

Bet posters on here wouldn't be moaning then..............Then again maybe they would as Brits p**s on all their fighters...

Wonderfully hypocritical post from someone who uses nationality as a basis for judgement, rating & defense more than any other poster on here.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 23 Mar 2015, 1:17 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If Leonard can have a tuneup against Howard............Ward can have one...........

Wonderfully hypocritical post from someone who uses nationality as a basis for judgement, rating & defense more than any other poster on here.....

Not interested in you......................In fairness Hammer knows his stuff.....

What did he say about you again ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 24 Mar 2015, 2:34 pm

Fighting someone who is an actually career Supermiddle weight would consitute a tune up. This is what you call a circus act.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 24 Mar 2015, 2:37 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Fighting someone who is an actually career Supermiddle weight would consitute a tune up. This is what you call a circus act.
Duran beat Barkley Cool

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 24 Mar 2015, 3:08 pm

Again Truss, why does one have to back a fighter from their own shores? I supported/followed Hatton, Eubank, Bruno and co but have cheered against Hamed, Calzaghe, Groves etc etc. The "American way" probably comes about from having American Football/Baseball/Basketball whereby you don't actually compete against teams from other countries, just leads to a very insular and somewhat fearful notion that you must support the American fighter no matter what and that they're greater beyond what a lot of other people perceive them to be. That being whether he was involved in dog fighting (GMan), beats girls up (Stevenson, FMJ) and so forth.

So rather than us "peeing" on our "own" fighters I would prefer it if you referred to us as intellectually more advanced and able to subjectively apportion reason to any fighter, irregardless of whether they come from these shores on not.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 24 Mar 2015, 4:06 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Fighting someone who is an actually career Supermiddle weight would consitute a tune up. This is what you call a circus act.
Duran beat Barkley Cool

Did you have to bring Duran into a debate with Trussy picard

PS: Duran is an all time great. Mayorga on the otherhand........

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Mar 2015, 4:38 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
Duran beat Barkley Cool

Did you have to go and mention Truss?

You will inevitably get a Rocky Fielding based retort now!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 24 Mar 2015, 4:51 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
Duran beat Barkley Cool

Did you have to go and mention Truss?

You will inevitably get a Rocky Fielding based retort now!

Haha I know, he honestly thinks that bothers me. Its his only ammo I guess.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Tue 24 Mar 2015, 8:05 pm

I'm fighting Ward next.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3