The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nonito Donaire Wipes Floor With Prado - Quigg Next?

+13
ONETWOFOREVER
88Chris05
Coxy001
Lance
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Derbymanc
Strongback
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
AlexHuckerby
catchweight
BoxingFan88
mobilemaster8
hazharrison
17 posters

Go down

Nonito Donaire Wipes Floor With Prado - Quigg Next? Empty Nonito Donaire Wipes Floor With Prado - Quigg Next?

Post by hazharrison Sat 28 Mar 2015, 6:38 pm

Fast Eddie has tweeted that he's in preliminary talks for Donaire vs Quigg in June. Thoughts?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Nonito Donaire Wipes Floor With Prado - Quigg Next? Empty Re: Nonito Donaire Wipes Floor With Prado - Quigg Next?

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 28 Mar 2015, 6:45 pm

Eh? When was this fight?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Nonito Donaire Wipes Floor With Prado - Quigg Next? Empty Re: Nonito Donaire Wipes Floor With Prado - Quigg Next?

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 28 Mar 2015, 7:14 pm

Eddie must be insane

Must think donaire is past it which he isn't at super bantam he has a great chance against anyone

Donaire will mop the deck with him

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 28 Mar 2015, 7:22 pm

I would give Quigg a fair chance. Donaire is a little overrated. He had wicked power in the tiny weights which began counting for less when he moved up and he strted to look a less of a fighter. Hes had a pretty long career now going up through the weights.

I wouldnt hold my breath on the fight happening, but if does, great. Quigg needs a serious fight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sat 28 Mar 2015, 8:06 pm

I remember his right hook KO of Montiel....was absolute freak power cracking shot.

Never ever forget that one.

Agree with you there catchweight, be a good name for Quigg to be fair

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 28 Mar 2015, 8:09 pm

Left hook :-D

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 28 Mar 2015, 8:10 pm

I don't give quigg a chance tbh donaire catches him he goes to sleep

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 28 Mar 2015, 8:17 pm

Think Quigg can give him problems but you have to think Quiggs come forward style leaves him very vulnerable for the flash.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 28 Mar 2015, 11:45 pm

Quigg looks big and strong at super bantam. I dont think I would fancy Donaire to KO him. At least not at this stage of his career.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 29 Mar 2015, 12:09 am

Huge step up in class for Quigg

Donaire has obviously seen better days and is passed his peak but carries pop to stop any superbantamweight at any weight, he shook up Walters a couple times in their fight also, and quigg has been down before by inferior punchers

Quigg is quite textbook and will try to use his size to bust up donaire but could end up getting KOed, deffo think donaire has more then enough to beat quigg

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 29 Mar 2015, 4:17 pm

Where would the fight be?

Eddie needs to get Quigg a few headlines he's doing nothing else for him.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sun 29 Mar 2015, 6:26 pm

Isn't that what this is trying to do Strongy???

Your hate for someone more successful than you really clouds your vision sometimes.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 29 Mar 2015, 6:59 pm

If Donaier employs the Jamie Arthur jab then Quigg will be making sweet love to the canvas
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 29 Mar 2015, 10:35 pm

Quigg would have a chance. Donaire looks impatient and like he cant be bothered to box these days. be a shoot out and end early. Would favour Donaire but Quigg would be dangerous as long as hes there

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 29 Mar 2015, 11:44 pm

Derbymanc wrote:Isn't that what this is trying to do Strongy???

Your hate for someone more successful than you really clouds your vision sometimes.

My point was Hearn is taking an opportunity to get Quigg a few cheap headline off the back of a Donaire fight but he isn't progressing his career.

Eddie has put himself out in the media limelight and as such is not beyond criticism when he doesn't deliver.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 30 Mar 2015, 8:59 am

I get you now. I agree he needs to do something with Quigg as he can't keep making statements that he's going to make a big fight and then deliver a mismatch.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 30 Mar 2015, 9:08 am

Derbymanc wrote:I get you now. I agree he needs to do something with Quigg as he can't keep making statements that he's going to make a big fight and then deliver a mismatch.

Doesn't help that Barry Mac is doing everything he can to not maximise his star fighters earnings. Barry is actually making me want to see Frampton get KTFO, it's getting pathetic that this is all about him vs what is actually best for Frampton. By that I mean if he fights Quigg, on terrestrial, and gets sparked and (god forbid hurt) then will Barry personally stump up the extra £million (as an example) to pay for medical bills for the rest of his life? That £million that Frampton would've got for fighting on PPV? And by me wanting to see him lose it's just spite so that Barry's little dream of reliving his own career can fade back in to who gives a crap territory.

And shut up strongy, your anti Hearn rhetoric is beyond ridiculous and tiresome. Mainly based on the fact you have no reason to dislike the guy.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 30 Mar 2015, 9:24 am

Hard to take much from this one as Prado was in way, way over his head and fought a very tentative couple of rounds, but Donaire did at least look like he was trying to bring back some of the things he's openly admitted to neglecting recently like his jab, combination punching and footwork.

He's visibly still got speed and power and his left hook may well still be the best single punch going in the Super-Bantam division. The question is whether he still has it in him to re-incorporate some of the aforementioned skills back in to his game (hard to tell how much of losing them has been through him just getting complacent or simply from fading as a fighter as he ages) and also what'll happen next time he takes big shots flush on the button from a genuine puncher at 122, as the mauling at Walters' hands could have softened him up a bit in that respect.

No disrespect to Quigg but I don't think he'll be on Donaire's radar, really. Donaire was calling out the likes of Santa Cruz and Rigondeaux afterwards and I think he's still very much targetting the guys who are headliners in their own right rather than a guy in Quigg whose chief responsibility recently has been providing good undercard support. And to be honest, I think Hearn would see Donaire as still being too risky - annoyingly I can't see him putting Quigg in with anyone from the division's top half dozen or so for the time being unless it's Frampton, as the PPV avenue and public interest in the UK for that fight makes it worthwhile, even if Quigg were to lose. But suspect he'll be quite happy not to pursue Donaire. Hope I'm wrong.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 30 Mar 2015, 9:27 am

To be honest Coxy i'm getting pretty tired of everyones opponents being billed as a massive test (Yes I know it's the promoters job,) heard Johnny Nelson trying to get Glen (I think) try and say JoJo Dan was a big step up on saturday.

Barry M really grates on me too as I also think it's more about him than Frampton but lets see the next opponents before we slate them too much.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Mon 30 Mar 2015, 9:28 am

88Chris05 wrote:Hard to take much from this one as Prado was in way, way over his head and fought a very tentative couple of rounds, but Donaire did at least look like he was trying to bring back some of the things he's openly admitted to neglecting recently like his jab, combination punching and footwork.

He's visibly still got speed and power and his left hook may well still be the best single punch going in the Super-Bantam division. The question is whether he still has it in him to re-incorporate some of the aforementioned skills back in to his game (hard to tell how much of losing them has been through him just getting complacent or simply from fading as a fighter as he ages) and also what'll happen next time he takes big shots flush on the button from a genuine puncher at 122, as the mauling at Walters' hands could have softened him up a bit in that respect.

No disrespect to Quigg but I don't think he'll be on Donaire's radar, really. Donaire was calling out the likes of Santa Cruz and Rigondeaux afterwards and I think he's still very much targetting the guys who are headliners in their own right rather than a guy in Quigg whose chief responsibility recently has been providing good undercard support. And to be honest, I think Hearn would see Donaire as still being too risky - annoyingly I can't see him putting Quigg in with anyone from the division's top half dozen or so for the time being unless it's Frampton, as the PPV avenue and public interest in the UK for that fight makes it worthwhile, even if Quigg were to lose. But suspect he'll be quite happy not to pursue Donaire. Hope I'm wrong.

Personally I think Donaire is there for the taking Chris, just think he's slipped and isn't the same against naturally bigger guys than him as he was when sparking the likes of Darchinyan down at flyweight.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 30 Mar 2015, 9:33 am

Quigg will get demolished if this happens.

I even give Quigg a better shot against Frampton seriously.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 30 Mar 2015, 9:53 am

No doubt he's past his best, Coxy. But 'there for the taking' might be a slight stretch if you're talking about someone like Quigg who, while a obviously a good fighter, hasn't really proven himself to be one of the top give Super-Bantams yet by any means, WBA belt or no. Think I'd need to see Donaire back in against a top opponent before I'd feel comfortable more or less consigning him to the scrap heap.

He ended up getting a bit of a hammering off Walters, but if he'd have had an extra fifteen seconds or so in round three of that fight (think it was the third, anyway) he might well have taken Walters, an absolutely huge Featherweight with a big punch, out of there, and now we'd all probably be sat here saying how his career has been rejuvinated.

Like I said, I'd love Hearn to prove me wrong and go after someone like Donaire if the Frampton fight can't be made next up. Donaire is clearly a lot more beatable than he was a few years back while at the same time still being a very, very good win for any of the 122-pounders and it could be the perfect time and best opportunity for Quigg to finally get that eye-catching name on his resume. Just think Hearn will be too reluctant to risk the Frampton fight (or more accurately, risk making it less significant via Quigg losing his belt and '0') so will keep Quigg ticking over against safer bets for however long it takes to get that fight made.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:19 am

Coxy001 wrote:
Derbymanc wrote:I get you now. I agree he needs to do something with Quigg as he can't keep making statements that he's going to make a big fight and then deliver a mismatch.

Doesn't help that Barry Mac is doing everything he can to not maximise his star fighters earnings. Barry is actually making me want to see Frampton get KTFO, it's getting pathetic that this is all about him vs what is actually best for Frampton. By that I mean if he fights Quigg, on terrestrial, and gets sparked and (god forbid hurt) then will Barry personally stump up the extra £million (as an example) to pay for medical bills for the rest of his life? That £million that Frampton would've got for fighting on PPV? And by me wanting to see him lose it's just spite so that Barry's little dream of reliving his own career can fade back in to who gives a crap territory.

And shut up strongy, your anti Hearn rhetoric is beyond ridiculous and tiresome. Mainly based on the fact you have no reason to dislike the guy.

McGuigan is taking a long term view for frampton in what is a career that is potentially always a short term one. That's a fair point, but it doesn't make him wrong. A career on terrestrial has a greater chance of making him crossover appeal and setting him up for life.

Barry may well be doing the whole father son thing, re-living his dream, but I think he has the best interests of frampton at heart and I think his attempts to build him up on terrestrial are to be applauded.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 30 Mar 2015, 7:10 pm

The McGuigans have done a fabulous job with Frampton. They believe in him and are thinking big. Pulled out all the stops for him. Great for boxing fans too.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 30 Mar 2015, 8:33 pm

Good time for Quigg to bag a name......Donaire is ripe for the taking......

Stopped in 6 by Walters.....Think Nonito has seen better days.

Thing is Donaire is used to good money...........and is a name.....

Looking at PPV............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 30 Mar 2015, 8:38 pm

Goodbye Scott Quigg if it happens, he'll be finding himself knocked out fairly quickly even against a supposedly ripe for the taking Donaire.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 30 Mar 2015, 8:42 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Goodbye Scott Quigg if it happens, he'll be finding himself knocked out fairly quickly even against a supposedly ripe for the taking Donaire.

You could be right.............I think Quigg's size might be too much.............I fancy him late..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 30 Mar 2015, 8:48 pm

Coxy001 wrote:

Call me old fashioned but disliking a smarmy pratt is par for the course.

McGuigan and Frampton have given bully boy Hearn the finger. Fair dues to them, it just proves that Eddie just can't snap his fingers and expect everybody to come running to him.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 30 Mar 2015, 8:50 pm

Strongback wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:

McGuigan and Frampton have given bully boy Hearn the finger. Fair dues to them, it just proves that Eddie just can't snap his fingers and expect everybody to come running to him.

It proves that Barry has a goldmine in Frampo who can sell out arenas in minutes............

Not quite sure with a lesser protege he'd be so dismissive of Eddie Hearn..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon 30 Mar 2015, 8:51 pm

Probably why I don't like Barry M at the minute, he comes across quite smarmy.

Not sure Eddie expects Frampton to jump to his demands either but your the mind reader I suppose.

In the long run though think it could be Frampton missing out especially if Ed gets in with the yanks.

Will give Bazza the benefit of the doubt until Framps next opponent though, if he's in with another Dud then i'll look forward to you giving him the same hassle you do to Ed Wink

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon 30 Mar 2015, 8:52 pm

If Frampton doesn't go on to fight Rigondeaux, Santa Cruz or Donaire then Mcguigan is guilty of doing exactly the same thing as Hearn and protecting his charge.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 30 Mar 2015, 8:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Strongback wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:

It proves that Barry has a goldmine in Frampo who can sell out arenas in minutes............

Not quite sure with a lesser protege he'd be so dismissive of Eddie Hearn..

Lets not forget Hearn had Frampton in his camp but wanted to sideline wee Barry. There's history there.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 30 Mar 2015, 8:54 pm

Frampo will go down a treat in America......Exciting, Handsome, Talented, Nice personality and more importantly Irish..............The kid is a winner..

He won't need Hearn to get on in the States..........

Just don't stick him on in Vegas in 100 degree heat..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Mon 30 Mar 2015, 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 30 Mar 2015, 9:02 pm

Donaire sparked people at super bantam nishioka arce and moNtiel

Still the hardest puncher at that weight

I think some people are exaggerating donaires decline only lost to the two best in both divisions

Still beats all others except rigo

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 30 Mar 2015, 9:06 pm

As I think Frampo is the best 122 pounder in the World I'll disagree...

If Rigo fights Frampo anywhere it will be in an arena in Belfast with the heating turned up (like in the old Barry days)........With 35 year old legs he won't see the final bell.....

Frampo too good for Donaire............Reminds me of a young Cotto...Excellent box/fighter...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon 30 Mar 2015, 10:01 pm

Quigg is the guy who career is in stall mode. He is becoming a bit a joke figure defending a plastic title against C list opponents on undercards. He really needs a proper fight.

Frampton looks like a guy going places. Selling out arena's, raising his profile and being watched by millions.

Hopefully the fight gets made but I dont think Hearn really believes Quigg will win and as such I dont think he will settle for anything less than ppv on Sky for a fight I suspect he thinks Quigg will lose.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 31 Mar 2015, 3:21 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:As I think Frampo is the best 122 pounder in the World I'll disagree...

If Rigo fights Frampo anywhere it will be in an arena in Belfast with the heating turned up (like in the old Barry days)........With 35 year old legs he won't see the final bell.....

I might be missing something, but don't you think a Cuban based out of Miami would be fairly comfortable with high heat, as opposed to the pasty Northern Irishman??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 31 Mar 2015, 5:19 pm

How Donaire's fall from grace is the perfect example of why we have protected fighters, he took on the high risk low reward fight, lost, pretty convincingly and now is a washed up bum.

If fighters didn't have to worry about losing everything by just losing one fight then they would be more willing to take on all comers, this is what boxing has become, you lose one fight and that's it. Its all about being unbeaten and unbeatable

Just looking at some of these comments really does highlight that fact, apart from getting slapped around by Rigondeaux, who is by the way one of the best amateurs of all time, who was able to successfully apply that style for 12 rounds, means you are finished.

Still has a lot to offer imo, nothing in the displays shows me he is washed up, no one has actually said why Donaire is washed up.....

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 31 Mar 2015, 5:22 pm

No one said he was a washed up bum and he hasn't just lost to Rigo...

I think he's past his best and would certainly pick Frampo without any hesitation..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 31 Mar 2015, 5:24 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No one said he was a washed up bum and he hasn't just lost to Rigo...

I think he's past his best and would certainly pick Frampo without any hesitation..

Would love to see that fight, he lost to Walters, the best featherweight in the division at the moment and one of the hardest punchers

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 31 Mar 2015, 5:33 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Frampo will go down a treat in America......Exciting, Handsome, Talented, Nice personality and more importantly Irish..............The kid is a winner..

Steady on TRUSS

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 31 Mar 2015, 5:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Frampo will go down a treat in America......Exciting, Handsome, Talented, Nice personality and more importantly Irish..............The kid is a winner..

Hang on, thought you'd just said turning up the heat was the way for him to beat Rigo..?!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 31 Mar 2015, 5:39 pm

It was a joke......Mcguigan is his manager...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 31 Mar 2015, 5:42 pm

DAVE667 wrote:

Steady on TRUSS

He's too old for me..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down