The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nonito Donaire back with Top Rank

+6
Scottrf
Rowley
captain carrantuohil
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
88Chris05
Daz
10 posters

Go down

Nonito Donaire back with Top Rank Empty Nonito Donaire back with Top Rank

Post by Daz Tue 19 Jul 2011, 10:46 am

Morning Folks

After some months of dispute and exchanges of hurting words between WBC and WBO world bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire Jr and Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, the two have finally settled their differences and are ready to move on.
“We have reached a new respect for each other and are moving forward together. There were a lot of things that have been said that put a strain on the relationship, but both parties have agreed to open the lines of communication and wipe the slate clean,” said Donaire, who has inked a new contract with Top Rank.
However, the Filipino Flash refuses to reveal the terms and conditions of the contract.
According to Donaire, both he and Top Rank Promotions have agreed to forego arbitration “and are forging ahead to work together.
“I’m excited to move on, ” said the Filipino-American boxer whose last fight was in February of this year against Mexican Fernando Montiel.
He has been inactive since.
Donaire said it was his wife Rachel who had actually mediated between him and Arum.
“It is unfortunate that she gets the brunt of all blame when things get tough. She is only looking afer my best interest and would do things I ask her to do,” said Donaire.
As writer Dennis Guillermo puts it, all’s well that ends well!

Good move for Donaire - hopefully he will fight more regularly and keep in the limelight. Although I'm not a big fan of Top Rank and Bob Arum - at least he will have greater exposure.

Source: http://sports.inquirer.net/7647/donaire-back-with-top-rank

Daz

Back to top Go down

Nonito Donaire back with Top Rank Empty Re: Nonito Donaire back with Top Rank

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:00 am

Good move, if only for the fact that it makes a possible bout between him and Gamboa more likely a year or so down the line. Arum likes to keep things in-house, as we know.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:01 am

88Chris05 wrote:Good move, if only for the fact that it makes a possible bout between him and Gamboa more likely a year or so down the line. Arum likes to keep things in-house, as we know.

Good shout! At least the fight looks likely to happen if not a certainty.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:29 am

Like Chris said good news if only for the chance to see Donaire and Gamboa. Not sure that would be a good thing for Donaire though, he would earn good money but would come up short against the naturally bigger and more gifted Cuban.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 19 Jul 2011, 11:36 am

prettyboykev wrote:Like Chris said good news if only for the chance to see Donaire and Gamboa. Not sure that would be a good thing for Donaire though, he would earn good money but would come up short against the naturally bigger and more gifted Cuban.

I know I'm going against the grain here - but I favour Donaire in that fight. I believe he is truly exceptional. A good gameplan - and he could cause a huge upset. He has all the skills to trouble Gamboa - great footwork, power and adaptablity in both hands, switch hitter and speed.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:17 pm

I'm with you Dazstarr. I'd like to see Donaire have one more unification fight at bantam, fight Nishioka at 122 to bridge the weight gap and then take on Gamboa for the featherweight marbles. And I agree with you - think that his frame allows him to take his power through the weights and that his boxing ability gives him a major chance against Gamboa.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:23 pm

captain carrantuohil wrote:I'm with you Dazstarr. I'd like to see Donaire have one more unification fight at bantam, fight Nishioka at 122 to bridge the weight gap and then take on Gamboa for the featherweight marbles. And I agree with you - think that his frame allows him to take his power through the weights and that his boxing ability gives him a major chance against Gamboa.

The Nishioka fight would be great to watch - although I think Top Rank will have to take Donaire to Japan to make that happen. Would be fantastic if the route you say pans out.

We could look forward to the Gamboa showdown this time next year. I believe Donaire has a fight scheduled in November. Not sure who against yet though.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:33 pm

Daz - Captain where do you watch guys like Donaire and such fighters because to the best of my knowledge they are rarely on sky and whenever i check youtube I either don't find them or the footage tends to be pretty rubbish. Would like to keep a bit more abreast with the modern game but as something of a luddite/buffoon IT wise do struggle a little.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:38 pm

rowley wrote:Daz - Captain where do you watch guys like Donaire and such fighters because to the best of my knowledge they are rarely on sky and whenever i check youtube I either don't find them or the footage tends to be pretty rubbish. Would like to keep a bit more abreast with the modern game but as something of a luddite/buffoon IT wise do struggle a little.
WBVA. Might be a struggle for an IT buffoon though.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:39 pm

Scottrf wrote:
rowley wrote:Daz - Captain where do you watch guys like Donaire and such fighters because to the best of my knowledge they are rarely on sky and whenever i check youtube I either don't find them or the footage tends to be pretty rubbish. Would like to keep a bit more abreast with the modern game but as something of a luddite/buffoon IT wise do struggle a little.
WBVA.

Would you care to expand on that Scott?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:40 pm

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=WBVA&l=1

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:45 pm

The footage of Donaire-Darchinyan and Donaire-Montiel on youtube are, or were, first-rate, I thought, Jeff. Haven't seen them for a month or two; has the quality changed? There is some rather grainy footage about of some of his earlier fights as well.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:47 pm

Dazstarr wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Like Chris said good news if only for the chance to see Donaire and Gamboa. Not sure that would be a good thing for Donaire though, he would earn good money but would come up short against the naturally bigger and more gifted Cuban.

I know I'm going against the grain here - but I favour Donaire in that fight. I believe he is truly exceptional. A good gameplan - and he could cause a huge upset. He has all the skills to trouble Gamboa - great footwork, power and adaptablity in both hands, switch hitter and speed.

I just think with Gamboa being naturally bigger he would have the advantages, Donaire would be relying on carrying his speed up to FW and against Gamboa who is very quick as well I can see him being a bit slower than Gamboa. Think we may be looking past Rigondeaux at SBW who would cause Donaire real troubles.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:49 pm

Captain didn't search for that fight specifically was more an observation on previous times I have scoured youtube for fights where the results have been hit and miss the say the least.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:51 pm

Follow my link Jeff. If you have problems give me a shout.

Or, give WelshDevilRob a shout - think he has lots of videos on his site.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:52 pm

Cheers Scott will have a look at it when I get home

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:03 pm

Disappointing news. Arum will match him with people he is confident he will beat, as he does with most of his fighters. Arum slates the UFC, yet he runs his company in exactly the same way, the only difference being the best don't fight the best, they fight cab drivers instead.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:45 pm

Hey Jeff - like the others have mentioned - WBVA is the site to use. I have been using it for years. All the fights are on there every week - Sky, ESPN, HBO, Showtime etc. They even have a classic fight section. If it aint on there - it didnt happen. They have the full catalogue of Donaire fights.

Download uTorrent to use it and then click on the fight links you need. Press open and it will download in utorrent.

Make sure you say thanks to the original uploaders otherwise it gets frowned upon! Also must say that you need to share back the files you download - so make sure if you download a file that for example is 500mb - upload that same amount to keep a 1:1 ratio. The more sharing you do - the higher your rating.

You need to have a certain amount uploaded to get the HD/DVD stuff but it only takes a couple of months of using it most weekends to achieve this.

Hope that helps - give me a shout or as Scott says above, himself or Rob if any of the above doesnt make sense.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:51 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Dazstarr wrote:

I just think with Gamboa being naturally bigger he would have the advantages, Donaire would be relying on carrying his speed up to FW and against Gamboa who is very quick as well I can see him being a bit slower than Gamboa. Think we may be looking past Rigondeaux at SBW who would cause Donaire real troubles.

Could well be a Hagler/Leonard style of bout Kev. If Donaire stays on his feet - he definetly can out smart him.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:52 pm

Cheers Daz dare say as an IT halfwit I will be contacting you pretty soon

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:57 pm

No problems - send me a PM if you need and I will walk you through everything you need to do. You will never need to use Youtube again. Believe me. They even have obscure fights from around the globe being uploaded daily.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:04 pm

Dazstarr wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:
Dazstarr wrote:

Could well be a Hagler/Leonard style of bout Kev. If Donaire stays on his feet - he definetly can out smart him.

it would be close and you could be right but I would slightly favour Gamboa. Might have been looking past. Rigondeaux at SBW for imo he would beat Nishioka.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:08 pm

Kev, that's another fight that should certainly be made at the lower weights. I like Nishioka to beat Rigondeaux, personally - in my opinion, he does everything pretty well and has bags of experience to call on. He seems to be punching more stiffly these days, as well, and represents a really tough proposition for anyone around that weight.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:13 pm

Captain no doubt he would be tough to beat but imo Rigondeaux is a special talent. May be a bit inexperienced as a pro but his amateur credentials are undoubtable.
Very skillful fighter who is hard to pin down and an awesome body puncher. Rigondeaux is very good at seeing out rounds at winning on points although in Japan that would be a tough ask. For me it's one of the most interesting fights in boxing atm
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:13 pm

Was really impressed by Nishioka against Munroe who's no mug, was unlucky for years that his closet rival was Sahaprom

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:20 pm

I think my last post got lost somewhere - Donaire has got a baptism of fire should be decide to move up a class or two. It's a shame other people havent really heard of them. The three of them - Donaire, Gamboa and Rigondeaux are superstars.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:29 pm

Dazstarr wrote:I think my last post got lost somewhere - Donaire has got a baptism of fire should be decide to move up a class or two. It's a shame other people havent really heard of them. The three of them - Donaire, Gamboa and Rigondeaux are superstars.

I think between the three of them they have been on TV over here once and that was a repeat of a Gamboa fight two months after the event on Eurosport.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:33 pm

Rigondeaux has a couple of times at least. In Ireland/online vs Casey and on Pac-Marg undercard vs Cordoba.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:34 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Dazstarr wrote:I think my last post got lost somewhere - Donaire has got a baptism of fire should be decide to move up a class or two. It's a shame other people havent really heard of them. The three of them - Donaire, Gamboa and Rigondeaux are superstars.

I think between the three of them they have been on TV over here once and that was a repeat of a Gamboa fight two months after the event on Eurosport.

Just not good enough really - hopefully Top Rank will get them into the main stream.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:48 pm

Scottrf wrote:Rigondeaux has a couple of times at least. In Ireland/online vs Casey and on Pac-Marg undercard vs Cordoba.

I forgot about the Manny undercard he was rotten that night as well.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Tue 19 Jul 2011, 5:40 pm

I was lucky enough to see Donaire fight Montiel in Feb a fight I was really looking forward to. Managed to convert a few of my friends that night in Vegas to Donaire fans, so currently there's a mini Donaire fanclub in Scotland at this time. Very Happy

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Tue 19 Jul 2011, 6:25 pm

Dass wrote:I was lucky enough to see Donaire fight Montiel in Feb a fight I was really looking forward to. Managed to convert a few of my friends that night in Vegas to Donaire fans, so currently there's a mini Donaire fanclub in Scotland at this time. Very Happy

Good work Dass!!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Jul 2011, 6:54 pm

Dass wrote:I was lucky enough to see Donaire fight Montiel in Feb a fight I was really looking forward to. Managed to convert a few of my friends that night in Vegas to Donaire fans, so currently there's a mini Donaire fanclub in Scotland at this time. Very Happy

You have competition mate I 've got a mini Gamboa fan club in Glasgow. It's only me but you need to start somewhere. Very Happy
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 19 Jul 2011, 7:26 pm

I fancy Donaire to beat Gamboa. He has a wirey frame and should be able to carry an extra 6 or 7lbs without a problem. He has great speed and footwork as well as punch accuracy, and the power he can generate on the backfoot is awesome. Gamboa is obviously a quality operator but his chin has been called into question and I think Donaire has the ability to get into positions to unload the kind of punches that would have him in serious trouble.

Of course whether the fight gets made is another question - the fact they're both with Arum means he can keep them apart for as long as he chooses - possibly until interest drops past it's peak as per gamboa juanma. I'd still like to see gamboa take that fight - or one with Chris John, as there's little at 130lb for him to move up for and if he does move up that makes a Donaire fight less likely. Donaire v Nishioka is a fight I've been hoping for for a while, both highly skilled and fast fighters although Nonito has youth and power in his corner and I'd back him to end Nishioka's winning run. For Donaire to fight Gamboa he'd have to bridge the weight gap after his next fight in November, then have at least one bout at 126 to make sure he can cut it. As much as I like Donaire my biggest criticism is that he's not active enough for a guy in his prime with the world at his feet - too much other stuff in his life with family and promotional issues. Meanwhile gamboa needs to avoid any juanma like hiccups. If it does happen it won't be til mid 2013, but I think with the current weight difference and the involvement of Arum it's not too likely.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Tue 19 Jul 2011, 9:24 pm

PBK my mini fan club is based in Edinburgh, east coast west coast divide strikes again. Very Happy

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 19 Jul 2011, 9:37 pm

Dass wrote:PBK my mini fan club is based in Edinburgh, east coast west coast divide strikes again. Very Happy

Almost tempted to contact Real Radio. Very Happy
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down