The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anthony Joshua 11-0 v Mike Tyson 11-0

+22
Herman Jaeger
SugarRayBray
Mind the windows Tino.
Rodney
horizontalhero
huw
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Rowley
TopHat24/7
Coxy001
88Chris05
Derbymanc
Strongback
Hammersmith harrier
TRUSSMAN66
John Bloody Wayne
kingraf
AdamT
Dipper Brown
mobilemaster8
catchweight
ONETWOFOREVER
26 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Anthony Joshua 11-0 v Mike Tyson 11-0 - Page 2 Empty Anthony Joshua 11-0 v Mike Tyson 11-0

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:27 am

First topic message reminder :

I was thinking the other day that Joshua at this early stage of his career looks like the best prospect I have seen since Mike Tyson. I was too young back in 1985 when Tyson koed Sterling Benjamin in the 1st round but I have seen most of his early fights since on the net or DVD to be impressed by that young heavyweight prospect.

Tyson today would look completely on another planet compared to the lumps in the H/W division. The young Tyson had immense power, devastating speed, and also a well schooled technical ability which enabled him to dominate opponents as the shorter fighter by closing distance with the head roll and throwing combinations behind his quick jab.

Both Tyson and Joshua in their first 11 fights faced less then average opposition and ended their bouts early. Joshua it has to be said looks the part. He is very dedicated and you can tell that by just looking at him. He has a good technical base, quick hands and ko power but what would happen if we put both these 2 prospects in the ring.

Who is you're money on????

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Anthony Joshua 11-0 v Mike Tyson 11-0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Anthony Joshua 11-0 v Mike Tyson 11-0

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:55 am

The article asks you to imagine a match up of these 2 at the same point in their careers going by their respective skillsets and talent.

Both looked formidable after 11 fights. I HAVE seen Tyson's early fights and his approach is the same that we know of. Tyson always started fast and employed his famous technique against guys who were bigger but as has been mentioned club house fighters.

1 of these 2 went on to become H/W champion of the world the other we are yet to see but coxy is the only 1 who has picked AJ.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Anthony Joshua 11-0 v Mike Tyson 11-0 - Page 2 Empty Re: Anthony Joshua 11-0 v Mike Tyson 11-0

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:05 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote: coxy is the only 1 who has picked AJ.

Coxy is the second dumbest poster to ever grace 606....

The dumbest is Captain Kirk...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:08 am

People are quick to forget that Joshua has a better ammature career and an Olympic gold medal to boot.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:09 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Go away and talk to an alias lestrussgo.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:11 am

Coxy001 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Go away and talk to an alias lestrussgo.

Don't give me ideas... Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:11 am

I think it's too tough to decide based on the hindsight factor. It's like Truss says, Tyson's skills were prevalent throughout. He had a decent chin, we didn't know this until long after his first 11 fights but it was always there.

David Price looked like he could be a world beater early doors but clearly the stamina issues that plagued him against Tony Thompson were always there. You just can't ignore hindsight to suit your argument.

I do think after his next bout it's time to move AJ on though. I want to see him fight someone who wants to win.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:19 am

Somebody says Joshua has a chin. What fight did he display this?

Not being sarcastic, genuinely interested.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:21 am

Let's be honest these 'learning fights' for AJ, is he actually learning anything? Is he coming up against 'Wiley' gatekeepers who're teaching him the ropes? In the last fight all I saw was Gavern cuddling him around the waist and clinching before being dispatched.

I'm no expert about the heavyweight division but I don't know if the fighters are out there to bring AJ along at a consistent pace. For me, rather than tread water for another year why not try and make a fight with someone who has their own ambition? For example David Price has no interest in developing AJ or teaching him anything, he'll want to beat him. That's a totally different motivation, why not stick him in with him?

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:27 am

Dipper Brown wrote:Let's be honest these 'learning fights' for AJ, is he actually learning anything? Is he coming up against 'Wiley' gatekeepers who're teaching him the ropes? In the last fight all I saw was Gavern cuddling him around the waist and clinching before being dispatched

Probably something to do with him getting wobbled around by some pretty monstrous punches. Up until that point he was hardly rolling over at the first sign of a punch to then run off and collect his pay cheque off Eddie, tried to make a fist of it from what I saw. Problem was Joshua's fists kept hitting him rather frequently.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:30 am

Yeah I'm not denying that or knocking the opponent but if it continues to happen then it's not much use to his development. Just shows that he needs to be moved on a level.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:46 am

Dipper Brown wrote:Yeah I'm not denying that or knocking the opponent but if it continues to happen then it's not much use to his development. Just shows that he needs to be moved on a level.

Joshua's problem is that there isn't a Larry Alexander, James Tillis, Jose Ribalta..............around......

You can get arrested at heavy these days for being under 35 years old....

The guy on Saturday was a stiff let's be honest...

No way would he go the distance with James Tillis............

He's going to have to learn in the gym..............Because they won't risk a golden goose like Josh............

He won't fight anyone that can dig and as there is no one with any skill at heavy.......He just walks everybody down....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:52 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Dipper Brown wrote:Yeah I'm not denying that or knocking the opponent but if it continues to happen then it's not much use to his development. Just shows that he needs to be moved on a level.

Joshua's problem is that there isn't a Larry Alexander, James Tillis, Jose Ribalta..............around......

The likes of Arreola, Chagaev, Charr would work for me

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:53 am

They are all useless slobs..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:58 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:They are all useless slobs..

And James Tillis was a world beater....? Pretty sure he lost more than he won in the 80s, if not then he can't have been far away from doing so!

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:01 am

After 11 fights had Tyson become the incredible 'Prime Tyson' who would lose to nobody or was this pre-Prime Tyson?

Difficult to say, on paper at the time you would have said it was an incredibly close fight in the making but that is due to the fact we don't know any of AJ's weaknesses yet and we shouldn't take into account Tyson's, not Prime Tyson as he obviously had none but the subsequent Tyson who had many.

For me it would be Tyson.

This is because at that time he was surrounded by a great team with vast experience, don't feel AJ's team would have been able to compete on their level.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:03 am

Personally I'll be disappointed if I'm still hearing 'He knocked this guy out 2 rounds faster than Deontay Wilder did' in 12 months time.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:05 am

Dipper Brown wrote:Personally I'll be disappointed if I'm still hearing 'He knocked this guy out 2 rounds faster than Deontay Wilder did' in 12 months time.

Best line I ever heard was when I watched the Tyson Bruno fight with British commentary...........

He'd been down after 10 seconds and then after about 60 seconds "He's already gone further than Spinks did against this Man" Laugh

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:48 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:How can anybody say Joshua is meaner than Tyson...........

Who said that?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:50 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:I would arguably pick Joshua at this/that point in their respective careers. Tyson was hugely unexposed in terms of opponents, Joshua is a fair distance ahead in that respect. The big question mark over Joshua is his set of whiskers.. and lest we not forget that he carries serious, serious power in both his mitts (the left hand has come on leaps and bounds, the right is an absolute nuclear rocket detonating).

Was Tyson as polished as Joshua was at these respective points in their careers? For me, no. Who was nearer to being the finished article after 11 fights? Joshua for me all the way. Tyson, at that point, was extremely raw and was facing journeymen he could do pretty much what he wanted to. And boy did he do just that, but I don't think he could have handled a guy who after 11 fights was a better fighter than he was.

Would be a cracker of a fight though.

Side note but looking forwards to when he fights Johnson, blasts the spoiler out in a couple then will be impressed. And can't knock him for doing so as "it's just expected" as the guy's gone the distance with Vitali etc.

Tyson was unexposed when he fought Berbick.............

Only fought Tillis and Green.......

Wouldn't be a cracker at all...................Tyson's head movement and speed would be way too much for the kid......

Also he'd have to deal with his presence and feared reputation.........

Joshua is Bruno reincarnated...

Physically and stylistically I'd agree, but I think they're seperated by their mindsets.  AJ is tougher and meaner, IMO..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:52 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Coxy hasn't seen Tyson's first 11 fights Chris..........

You know it......I know it...........He knows it........

Some idiot on here thinks Joshua is meaner than a guy that tried to shove Ferguson's nose through his brain.....Bit a guy's ear off........Tried to take Bruno's head off when he was down...............and would have willingly killed Marvis frazier..........

That's when he wasn't smacking guy's out in launderettes at 4am and saying things like "If he's not dead it doesn't count"..

WHO?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:53 am

Dipper Brown wrote:Let's be honest these 'learning fights' for AJ, is he actually learning anything? Is he coming up against 'Wiley' gatekeepers who're teaching him the ropes? In the last fight all I saw was Gavern cuddling him around the waist and clinching before being dispatched.

I'm no expert about the heavyweight division but I don't know if the fighters are out there to bring AJ along at a consistent pace. For me, rather than tread water for another year why not try and make a fight with someone who has their own ambition? For example David Price has no interest in developing AJ or teaching him anything, he'll want to beat him. That's a totally different motivation, why not stick him in with him?

It's on the money..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:57 am

AdamT wrote:Somebody says Joshua has a chin. What fight did he display this?

Not being sarcastic, genuinely interested.

Camarelle was a very good and very hard hitting amateur - AJ took some big shots from him in the final.

That said, it's still headguard fighting so arguably not that relevant to a proper pro chin-check.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:59 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:I would arguably pick Joshua at this/that point in their respective careers. Tyson was hugely unexposed in terms of opponents, Joshua is a fair distance ahead in that respect. The big question mark over Joshua is his set of whiskers.. and lest we not forget that he carries serious, serious power in both his mitts (the left hand has come on leaps and bounds, the right is an absolute nuclear rocket detonating).

Was Tyson as polished as Joshua was at these respective points in their careers? For me, no. Who was nearer to being the finished article after 11 fights? Joshua for me all the way. Tyson, at that point, was extremely raw and was facing journeymen he could do pretty much what he wanted to. And boy did he do just that, but I don't think he could have handled a guy who after 11 fights was a better fighter than he was.

Side note but looking forwards to when he fights Johnson, blasts the spoiler out in a couple then will be impressed. And can't knock him for doing so as "it's just expected" as the guy's gone the distance with Vitali etc.

Wouldn't be a cracker at all...................Tyson's head movement and speed would be way too much for the kid......

Physically and stylistically I'd agree, but I think they're seperated by their mindsets.  AJ is tougher and meaner, IMO..

I'll ask again. WHO?

Because anyone with an IQ above 50 and a reading age beyond that of a five year old should be able to tell that I was compaying AJ and Bruno and made no mention of, or comparison with, Tyson.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:07 am

Coxy001 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Guess we'll find out if:

A) He has a tank on him to keep fighting at a frantic pace

B) Has a chin

C) Won't be intimidated by certain opponents

D) Go in to his shell

E) Take a knee when hurt

And Tyson would have to deal with a guy with a much better jab and enormous power that Joshua has AFTER 11 FIGHTS. Tyson had fought guys with an overall W/L record of 58-61, more so he was fighting club fighters. Joshua has fought a much better level of opposition whose overall records reads 218-119. The massive point you're missing is that after 11 fights Joshua was ahead of where Tyson was in terms of progression in career, experience and having to apply a bit more nous and skill than was involved in banging out the club fighters Tyson was fighting.

Tyson would have been stepping up levels to face Joshua, one has been facing journeymen the other facing club fighters. If you didn't know what Tyson would become then Joshua would have been the betting favourite - that is just totally undeniable. No doubt you'll try though.

Missed this................

Bruno was only intimidated by one opponent...............and 99% of Tyson's opponents were intimidated

How many fighters take a knee...

Different generation.....................Joshua is better than any heqavy out there for me now......

Which shows how very sad these days are for heavyweights..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:44 am

Knowing what Tyson went to achieve makes this match up hard to see anything but a Tyson win, so until AJ has had forty odd fights , it's not really fair.
If we could judge them both as eleven fight novices, then I guess Tyson would be a slight favorite.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:46 am

Lets put it into perspective Joshua's opponents have been dreadful. A comparison for you after 11 fights

Anthony Joshua opponents have a record of 218 wins and 111 losses

Audley Harrison opponents have a record of 163 wins and 41 losses.

Harrison had faced better opposition in terms of winning records and higher rated fighters after 11 fights and was ridiculed. Wake me up when Joshua actually fights someone.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:11 am

Rodney wrote:Lets put it into perspective Joshua's opponents have been dreadful. A comparison for you after 11 fights

Anthony Joshua opponents have a record of 218 wins and 111 losses

Audley Harrison opponents have a record of  163 wins and 41 losses.

Harrison had faced better opposition in terms of winning records and higher rated fighters after 11 fights and was ridiculed. Wake me up when Joshua actually fights someone.

Cheers, Rodders

You're looking at this from too narrow a perspective, Rodders.  Come on lad, you're better than this.

Super AJ has only taken a total of 42 minutes and 20 seconds to dispatch his opponents whereas it took big Audley a mammoth 111 and a half minutes to get rid of his first 11.  Bloody slowcoach.

But, in mitigating circumstances for A-Force, he did travel approximately 4,443 miles from his hometown during his first 11 fights whereas Tony only traveled approximately 1,624 miles.  Audley traveled around 3,500 miles to Atlantic City for his 8th fight which does skew the statistics slightly.

Cheers, Tino.

*All statistics are open to interpretation and stolen directly from BoxRec and AA Routefinder.

**Other mapping websites are available.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayBray Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:25 am

Hearn would take one look at Tyson, and say "no thanks". Whereas it would be less of a big deal for Tyson and his management.
But if they were to fight? Tyson all the way. Tyson had something rarely, if ever, seen before. Joshua is your standard prospect. He isn't really doing anything different to Bruno or Lewis were at 11-0.

SugarRayBray

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:45 am

SugarRayBray wrote:Hearn would take one look at Tyson, and say "no thanks". Whereas it would be less of a big deal for Tyson and his management.
But if they were to fight? Tyson all the way. Tyson had something rarely, if ever, seen before. Joshua is your standard prospect. He isn't really doing anything different to Bruno or Lewis were at 11-0.

Tyson was carefully managed by Jacobs and Cayton........Never fought anybody that could beat him before Berbick...........

What they did do though was find fighters after his initial garbage collecting... that could mess him about a bit and give him rounds and weren't pushing 40!!.............

Ferguson, Ribalta, Green and Tillis...

Poor old Josh hasn't got anybody like that...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:56 am

That is going to be a problem for Joshua.

Truss is right this time, those really useful journeyman in the heavyweight division just don't exist anymore.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:00 am

Saw an interview with Tillis three or four years back. Might have been posted on here actually, not sure. But he still tells anyone who'll listen that he beat Tyson and was robbed of the verdict.

I wouldn't go that far but on a good day I could maybe have accepted Tillis getting a draw, and if he hadn't had that lapse in concentration where he got knocked down, causing him to lose a round he was winning up until that point (it was scored on rounds rather than the ten point must system) he'd definitely have deserved a solid share of the spoils.

After the fight Tyson acknowledged that it had been an important learning experience for him and that Tillis had given him plenty of new things to think about having hit him with shots "I really had no business getting hit with" as he put it.

There's an HBO feature from a couple of years later when Tyson was champion where he talks about how good an experience the Tillis fight was and how thankful he was that he'd been forced to start thinking a bit more about what he was doing rather than just going in to every fight with the mindset that he could just turn up, look mean, throw a few big hooks and then go home. Quite a good watch.

Before everything started going down the pan Tyson clearly took heed judging by the all-round quality and more measured skills he showed against Tucker and Biggs, two really complete performances which showed he was more than just a wrecking ball.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:05 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:That is going to be a problem for Joshua.

Truss is right this time, those really useful journeyman in the heavyweight division just don't exist anymore.

Tyson never fought anyone like Joshua tho.

Olympic gold, British amature champion, athletic and strong.

Maybe Tyson gets intimidating at the sight of young Joshua standing in the opposite corner.

Joshua has speed to rival Tyson but not sure about his inside game and if Tyson gets inside he could ko AJ.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:19 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
Herman Jaeger wrote:That is going to be a problem for Joshua.

Tyson never fought anyone like Joshua tho.

Olympic gold, British amature champion, athletic and strong.

Maybe Tyson gets intimidating at the sight of young Joshua standing in the opposite corner.

Joshua has speed to rival Tyson but not sure about his inside game and if Tyson gets inside he could ko AJ.

Pity there isn't a really good body puncher around.

When Joshua shows he's got the kind of defensive skills that could stop Tyson bulling his way in(coz not many had the skills to tie up that bobbing weaving early version,) and when Joshua shows he can take a fair whack to both body and chin, then it'll be much easier to comment.

At this point in time I'll just say Joshua looks very good, but a Tyson only comes along once a century and I think he might hurt Joshua to the body before taking him out in three. Be explosive though and Joshua looks a much sharper puncher than Bruno.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:24 am

Holmes didn't have those kind of skills..............Tyson's head movement was so good and his hands so fast he was a nightmare.....

He'd have beaten Holmes everytime..

Once Rooney left he became lazy..........and surrounded by YES men..

Holy paid him a great compliment when he said "By the time I fought him he'd move his head side to side twice before coming in so I could work on his pattern.......But before he never had a set pattern so he'd have been a nightmare....

Rooney was Tyson's biggest mistake..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:29 am

Interesting points Truss, the early version did a lot of feinting with his head on the way in. Absolute nightmare. I think the Berbick Thomas version probably beats Holy in truth.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:36 am

People going with Tyson but how long does AJ last.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:43 am

Three at a guess. Five if it's a sluggish Tyson.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:49 am

Only chance AJ has got is if he can stand his ground............

I just can't see it.............Bruno, Tucker and Holmes couldn't......Berbick committed suicide trying to !!.........Douglas managed it because a) He had one of the best jabs in Heavy history and b) Tyson had stopped moving his head..

Tyson too elusive and quick ...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:48 am

Not seen many heavies ever have Tysons footwork and speed to get inside. He looked special early on.

Joshua looks well managed and well marketed. Yet to decide how highly I rate him, but there is less to get excited about than a young Tyson

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:01 am

Surely if we head into five, depending on Joshua's stamina, we start creeping into that danger zone where Tyson lost fights?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:05 am

kingraf wrote:Surely if we head into five, depending on Joshua's stamina, we start creeping into that danger zone where Tyson lost fights?

You mean where he beat Smith, Tucker, Biggs, Thomas, Ribalta, Tillis, Green..... Rolling Eyes

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:06 am

kingraf wrote:Surely if we head into five, depending on Joshua's stamina, we start creeping into that danger zone where Tyson lost fights?

Tyson had good stamina early on but I guess if you can avoid too much damage early, then obviously you have a better chance of beating him late.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:10 am

AdamT wrote:

Tyson had good stamina early on but I guess if you can avoid too much damage early, then obviously you have a better chance of beating him late.

Joshua hasn't been past two rounds has he ??? Talk about clutching at straws....

I've got a better one...............If I put a Donkey in the grand national.........If every other horse falls he's got a chance of winning !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:10 am

Another well known Tyson myth

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:14 am

I also mean where he lost to Lewis, Douglas, Holy x2.

Even going by your logic. Tyson in fights which end in five or less is 39-2 (with one defeat when he was a shell of the shell of the man). In fights going past five, it drops to 9-4. The takeaway... is he's more likely to lose once it gets past five, then before five... Obviously. Comprehension never was your strong suit
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:16 am

Tyson never quite looked the same beast after four rounds or so even when he won (even Rooney admitted it), but as Truss has touched on already that doesn't mean he was incapable of getting the job done - he just had to do it in a slightly more workmanlike and less explosive way, or had to put up with a bit of frustration as well as taking a few more shots than normal, ala the Smith or Thomas fights. But despite not looking at his best in those fights and tiring a bit as they went on, he never really looked likely to lose control of the fight once he had it.

Even if his opponent became accustomed to his power and some of his snap faded somewhat, a peak Tyson still had enough to win the lion's share of the rounds or eventually just wear them down after a lot of chopping away.

He looked a lot more knackered as the fights wore on against Douglas and Holyfield, but they'd basically been outboxing him and landing bombs on him from round one. In my opinion, if Tyson's been in charge for the first five rounds against Joshua he won't lose the fight from there, even if he can't put Joshua away and winds down a bit as the fight progresses.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:18 am

kingraf wrote:I also mean where he lost to Lewis, Douglas, Holy x2.

Even going by your logic. Tyson in fights which end in five or less is 39-2 (with one defeat when he was a shell of the shell of the man). In fights going past five, it drops to 9-4. The takeaway... is he's more likely to lose once it gets past five, then before five... Obviously. Comprehension never was your strong suit

We are talking about an 11-0 Tyson............A Rooney Tyson.

I alluded to it in an earlier post............Most younger guys experience of Mike is watching the Tyson v Lewis...Tyson v Holy fights...Tyson v Douglas

I remember the monster..You don't !!..................No offence..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:20 am

88Chris05 wrote:Tyson never quite looked the same beast after four rounds or so even when he won (even Rooney admitted it), but as Truss has touched on already that doesn't mean he was incapable of getting the job done - he just had to do it in a slightly more workmanlike and less explosive way, or had to put up with a bit of frustration as well as taking a few more shots than normal, ala the Smith or Thomas fights. But despite not looking at his best in those fights and tiring a bit as they went on, he never really looked likely to lose control of the fight once he had it.

Even if his opponent became accustomed to his power and some of his snap faded somewhat, a peak Tyson still had enough to win the lion's share of the rounds or eventually just wear them down after a lot of chopping away.

He looked a lot more knackered as the fights wore on against Douglas and Holyfield, but they'd basically been outboxing him and landing bombs on him from round one. In my opinion, if Tyson's been in charge for the first five rounds against Joshua he won't lose the fight from there, even if he can't put Joshua away and winds down a bit as the fight progresses.

Agreed its Tyson'e fight early doors

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:22 am

Raf, don't forget the only Tyson fights you've watched are the ones he lost, none of us have watched his fights with Berbick, Ferguson, Holmes or Spinks.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:28 am

I know the PRIME Tyson thing really gets thrown around a lot but he was definitely a different fighter when he had Rooney.

The Tyson that lost to Lewis is similar to Jones Losing to Calzaghe or Leonard losing to Camacho. Even the Tyson that got beat by Holy wasn't the same guy.

He was in a prison cell, so could hardly keep his boxing skills at peak. Ali had a layoff but possibly still trained hard with his boxing to stay as sharp as usual. Even the great man wasn't the same after his exile. He was great but basically a different fighter.

If Messi or Ronaldo couldn't play football for 2-4 years then they would most likely not come back as the best in the planet.

I actually think the fact that Tyson came back to win 2 titles and have a competitve fight with Holyfield shows how good he really was. Granted Holyfield wasn't peak either but he was reguarly boxing and training for years.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next