The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frampton wants Quigg in June/July

+24
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Nico the gman
RanjitPatel
Rodney
Derbymanc
lfc91
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Dipper Brown
Hammersmith harrier
hazharrison
catchweight
AlexHuckerby
ShahenshahG
horizontalhero
Seanusarrilius
Coxy001
Rowley
huw
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
Herman Jaeger
Strongback
TRUSSMAN66
hampo17
28 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Frampton wants Quigg in June/July Empty Frampton wants Quigg in June/July

Post by hampo17 Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:31 pm

Just had an email from Cyclone Promotions that's says they've been in negotiations for a while now, however it looks like the sticking point is that Matchroom want to promote the show by themselves, while Frampton and Barry want a joint promotion.

Matchroom have now made a public offer while ignoring requests for follow up meetings, and have now been told that if they won't come back around the table then Team Frampton will go elsewhere.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Frampton wants Quigg in June/July Empty Re: Frampton wants Quigg in June/July

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:35 pm

Good boy Frampo..............

Quigg you obviously read forums like this because all boxers are vain............

Tell Eddie you want it......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:47 pm

Eddie wants it all and then wonders why fights don't happen.

Frampton is the draw whether Eddie likes it or not.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:53 pm

If that is the only sticking point then Hearn needs to compromise.

The fans need to see this fight.

Frampton has to be favorite for the win of course.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:55 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:If that is the only sticking point then Hearn needs to compromise.

The fans need to see this fight.

Frampton has to be favorite for the win of course.

Think it will happen................As Quigg needs a big name after winning a belt with a draw and fighting four stiffs as chief support....

Everyone is allowed an easy voluntary but he's took the pee..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:55 pm

Yep, good on Frampo, hold your ground and make it public & clear that it's Matchroom getting in the way.

Matchroom know this fight is the end of the road for their guy so don't want to share promotional revenues for his last money-spinner.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:57 pm

Two sides to every story but from what I've seen and heard on this, and going with my own gut feeling, it does appear to be Hearn who is playing a hard game in getting this one made. It seems to me that the only thing Hearn is really willing to compromise on or concede to Frampton and his team is the venue. In all other aspects he seems to be pretty firm in saying that the fight has to be on Sky, has to be a solely Matchroom promotion and that Quigg has to get an equal share of the purse.

I understand perfectly that his job is to get the best possible deal for Quigg and in turn for himself and Matchroom as well, but there's driving a hard bargain /  trying to ensure a more favourable lay of the land and then there's simply living in an unrealistic fantasy world.

Pouring cold water on a Frampton fight and then saying that he's done it because he feels Quigg wouldn't have been getting the full money and status he deserved from it will ultimately count for nothing and look pretty comical if he subsequently goes back to sticking Quigg on undercards against divisional gatekeepers. Frampton's quickly becoming the new star of UK boxing while Quigg's profile or level of opposition hasn't picked up at all in the last eighteen months or so. You get the impression that Frampton can and will be a star and big business even if a Quigg fight never happens, whereas a fight against Frampton might well be Quigg's only road to stardom, and that's the difference.

As a couple of the lads theorised on the podcast last week - there's a reason why Quigg is on undercards against rank outsiders, and it could well be that Hearn just doesn't have the confidence in him to hang with the top guys at 122. If that's the case, then why not make the fight with Frampton now rather than risk having Quigg lose his belt and '0' to a smaller name in the division?

Just a theory, of course. Hearn might have all the confidence in the world in Quigg to win this fight for all we know. But if it doesn't happen I think Hearn has a bigger case to answer to than Cyclone and the McGuigans.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:00 pm

Would be surprised if this was made now as Matchroom will probably want to protect Quigg as much as possible.

Will probably price / negotiate him out of it until Frampton has either been beaten or no longer sees Quigg as worthwhile fight.

Then we will have Matchroom calling Frampton out at every opportunity trying to make it look like he's ducking them.

The last few years of boxing have made me realise just how easy promotion is. There is no need for any competition and if all else fails ensure you get a few back stories saying how great they are to their Nan (copy X-factor) to build up the fighters fanbase. All I need now is a pile of money and the greed to make that pile a lot bigger...

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:03 pm

Something that I noticed in the email was "Matchroom are aware that Frampton is a Cyclone Promotions fighter" reading between the lines it also sounds like Eddie wants to secure Carl's future fights.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:03 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Two sides to every story but from what I've seen and heard on this, and going with my own gut feeling, it does appear to be Hearn who is playing a hard game in getting this one made. It seems to me that the only thing Hearn is really willing to compromise on or concede to Frampton and his team is the venue. In all other aspects he seems to be pretty firm in saying that the fight has to be on Sky, has to be a solely Matchroom promotion and that Quigg has to get an equal share of the purse.

I understand perfectly that his job is to get the best possible deal for Quigg and in turn for himself and Matchroom as well, but there's driving a hard bargain /  trying to ensure a more favourable lay of the land and then there's simply living in an unrealistic fantasy world.

Pouring cold water on a Frampton fight and then saying that he's done it because he feels Quigg wouldn't have been getting the full money and status he deserved from it will ultimately count for nothing and look pretty comical if he subsequently goes back to sticking Quigg on undercards against divisional gatekeepers. Frampton's quickly becoming the new star of UK boxing while Quigg's profile or level of opposition hasn't picked up at all in the last eighteen months or so. You get the impression that Frampton can and will be a star and big business even if a Quigg fight never happens, whereas a fight against Frampton might well be Quigg's only road to stardom, and that's the difference.

As a couple of the lads theorised on the podcast last week - there's a reason why Quigg is on undercards against rank outsiders, and it could well be that Hearn just doesn't have the confidence in him to hang with the top guys at 122. If that's the case, then why not make the fight with Frampton now rather than risk having Quigg lose his belt and '0' to a smaller name in the division?

Just a theory, of course. Hearn might have all the confidence in the world in Quigg to win this fight for all we know. But if it doesn't happen I think Hearn has a bigger case to answer to than Cyclone and the McGuigans.

He's got a "World" champion and Hearn wants to milk him......Which has been done since the dawn of time and who can blame him...............World champions are a hard thing to come by over here...............remember Honeyghan...

1st defence - Bumphus 140 pounder
2nd defence- Hatcher 140 pounder
3rd defence - Blocker journeyman
4th defence - Vaca..........God awful useless chump..............

Starling, Breland, Brown and Trice somehow missed out..

However the milk is running dry..............Quigg has used a lot of his capital..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:06 pm

Think Chris has covered this one, Eddie needs to be willing to make some sacrifices to get this one done. He has already seen Brook vs Khan go down the crapper, Groves Degale looks no nearer and as Froch Chavez is delayed the chances of him being in action this summer look slim. All this serves to leave Eddie bereft of a big summer show or PPV card, on the back of Froch Groves last year you get the impression he was looking to replicate that kind of level show at least once this year.

Feel for Quigg, he has already inherited Cleverley’s status as poster boy for all that is wrong with the sport. Given this will seem inevitable that whatever the rights or wrongs of this situation most of the blame will land at his feet. Is harsh, because I genuinely think you take promoters out of the equation Quigg wants this fight every bit as much as Frampton does

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:23 pm

Given this news, it wouldn't surprise me if Eddie is Raheem Sterling's adviser.

Yes I know, Quigg is likely to be beaten and will fail waaaaaaaaay down the pecking order afterwards and do appreciate you want to squeeze a few more drops from your cash cow but FFS Eddie....

Joshua came across as a bit of a petulant so-and-so at the weekend and a bit more PR training might be in order unless Eddie wants the public turning against another of his fighters.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:24 pm

Hoping we can get Sterling...Dave.

Leave you with half a team though..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:25 pm

You do have to wonder how many chief support defences Quigg would have to get through to match the purse he would get for the Frampton fight. Don't suppose to know the answer but my guess would be enough to make this worth the risk.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:28 pm

Rowley wrote:You do have to wonder how many chief support defences Quigg would have to get through to match the purse he would get for the Frampton fight. Don't suppose to know the answer but my guess would be enough to make this worth the risk.

English Azumah Nelson is Quigg (stuck as chief support)....and funnily enough Nelson needed a Mcguigan to get him out there.........but never got it........Let's hope history doesn't repeat..

I'd give Quigg a sniff.............Could be the making of the guy..

I'll pay £17............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:31 pm

As Barry Mac is so adamant on getting more exposure for his fighter he should hire Wembley and charge £5 per ticket. I mean ITV aren't exactly stumping up millions like Sky would be able to provide on their PPV platform, so to get his name out there more he should be totally and utterly ensuring that the event is pretty much free to watch both live at the venue and on TV. He should give strongy some tips on how to be a businessman as he has making the biggest profit possible down to a tee.

C'mon Quigg, burst Barry's bubble and leave him with a guy that ITV won't want anything of.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:38 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Hoping we can get Sterling...Dave.

Leave you with half a team though..
Given your season, a transfer to City it makes a mockery of him saying he'd like to win trophies and titles. If he's not careful he'll make Zaha look like a success

No doubt we'll end up with Walcott...(sigh)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:40 pm

Coxy001 wrote:As Barry Mac is so adamant on getting more exposure for his fighter he should hire Wembley and charge £5 per ticket

Back in the real world..

Barry should get the fight in Ireland..........Home advantage as he's got the biggest draw....and a hostile crowd ..........

If it's in England....................Foster and IJL might be judges...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:04 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Coxy001 wrote:As Barry Mac is so adamant on getting more exposure for his fighter he should hire Wembley and charge £5 per ticket

Back in the real world..

Barry should get the fight in Ireland..........Home advantage as he's got the biggest draw....and a hostile crowd ..........

If it's in England....................Foster and IJL might be judges...........

I wasn't being literal, try reading the rest.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:07 pm

I've read the rest.............Fascinating by any standards... thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:10 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Joshua came across as a bit of a petulant so-and-so at the weekend and a bit more PR training might be in order unless Eddie wants the public turning against another of his fighters.

Really agree this point, felt the same when watching, have a suspicion underneath the nice guy facade AJ may be a bit of a pr!ck (added to Dee's comments).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:13 pm

I think Joshua has had more than enough PR training.........

Kid's asss must be sore 24/7 with the amount of fence sitting he does..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:19 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Really agree this point, felt the same when watching, have a suspicion underneath the nice guy facade AJ may be a bit of a pr!ck (added to Dee's comments).

Still, there's our other "HW hopefuls" - he's more likeable than them. Chisora/Haye/Fury, I'd rather listen to Ed Miliband talk than those three.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:22 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I think Joshua has had more than enough PR training.........

Kid's asss must be sore 24/7 with the amount of fence sitting he does..
Still needs a bit more IMO. Not at the stage in his career when he can start playing Billy Big B*llocks yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:30 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

I'm sure there were stories prior to the Olympics that he was a bit of a toe rag prior to starting boxing, involved with some shady people etc.

Personally I'm getting more and more bored with the standard formula we need in our sports people now. Much more of it and I'll start appreciating Mayweather for his personality rather than just his boxing skills.... okay, maybe not that far but feel a character is very much needed.

Hearing Kell Brook (who I like) trying to get a Khan fight with the best bit of baiting being 'he's got a dodgy chin' is just not doing it for me.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:32 pm

huw wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

I'm sure there were stories prior to the Olympics that he was a bit of a toe rag prior to starting boxing, involved with some shady people etc.

Personally I'm getting more and more bored with the standard formula we need in our sports people now. Much more of it and I'll start appreciating Mayweather for his personality rather than just his boxing skills.... okay, maybe not that far but feel a character is very much needed.

Hearing Kell Brook (who I like) trying to get a Khan fight with the best bit of baiting being 'he's got a dodgy chin' is just not doing it for me.

Can't just leave it there, Huw !!!!

Give Kell a few ideas of Khan smack lines.......(He might read 606)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:38 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
huw wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

"if you're watching this Amir, either on TV or via your favourite webcam, stop what you're doing and pay attention....I want to fight you!"

Job done, Amir Khan c*ck waggling jokes aplenty, needle guaranteed!"

f*ck me, I gave Eddie the b*starding "Unfinished Business" tagline for Froch/Groves II and now this.

What can I say, I'm a people person!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:41 pm

"I'll be so elusive you'll think Ramadan has started !!"

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:44 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
huw wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Ill have a go

"Yo! Batty boy! Me is gonna smack talk yo language bruv coz you is a bit of a chav chinny wonda bruv"

or

"How can a guy who gets decked by nurses, teachers and one handed fighters expect to beat me?"

or

"Do you know you can (almost) make the word harakiri out of Amir Khan, very apt as that's what would happen if he fought me"

Hmmm... Mayweather Jr I ain't.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:47 pm

I don't think it is the lines as such, more the delivery. Doesn't seem natural with Brook.

Would personally go down the route of:

He is more interested in trying to get with glamour models than be a fighter nowadays - and he is even failing to get them in the ring  
He is following Mayweather around like a soppy girl trying to get a date, embarrassing.
Pacman regularly knocked him out in sparring and with my power there is only one thing that'll happen (take rumour and discuss as fact - soon becomes fact)

Difficultly when trying to think of a route of attack from my perspective is that I like Khan and know that he'd probably put me in a coma with a jab!

How would you look to goad him then Truss?

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:58 pm

So the big offer from Hearn has gone in. What now?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:04 pm

Eddie has now said he's willing to do a co-promotion. Still can't see it happening but stranger things have happened.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:14 pm

Me neither. Frampton would have to go to Sky Box Office and Cyclone seem hell bent on getting ITV more involved. For fans, it would be better if on ITV, IMO. But Hearn's offer will be Sky dependent

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:16 pm

Yeah. We mentioned on last weeks podcast that if ITV were smart they could really cash in. You have adverts every 3 minutes, sell them to bookmakers and you're on to a winner. Sadly even if they get this fight it would have to give way to Ant & Dec.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:24 pm

True. It's almost annoying that they waited this long. Two fights ago they could have got Frampton to come off of BoxNation and do a one off n sky PPV. Let's be honest, Frampton will probably dust Quigg. No need to talk about it after that. If Hearn can't make this after Khan Brook fight failed, I will be gutted.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:27 pm

huw wrote:I don't think it is the lines as such, more the delivery. Doesn't seem natural with Brook.

Would personally go down the route of:

He is more interested in trying to get with glamour models than be a fighter nowadays - and he is even failing to get them in the ring  
He is following Mayweather around like a soppy girl trying to get a date, embarrassing.
Pacman regularly knocked him out in sparring and with my power there is only one thing that'll happen (take rumour and discuss as fact - soon becomes fact)

Difficultly when trying to think of a route of attack from my perspective is that I like Khan and know that he'd probably put me in a coma with a jab!

How would you look to goad him then Truss?
Problem is, Brook's kinda doing the same...could backfire massively

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:30 pm

DAVE667 wrote:

The only way it really backfires is he doesn't get the fight.

He is still a World Champion and should be able to line up some big fights, just not sure he makes Khan money for them.

Haven't heard Brook doing this but as said, it is probably his delivery rather than his words, just doesn't have that twinkle in his eyes that'll allow him to say anything and seems forced with Brook.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:34 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
88Chris05 wrote:Two sides to every story but from what I've seen and heard on this, and going with my own gut feeling, it does appear to be Hearn who is playing a hard game in getting this one made. It seems to me that the only thing Hearn is really willing to compromise on or concede to Frampton and his team is the venue. In all other aspects he seems to be pretty firm in saying that the fight has to be on Sky, has to be a solely Matchroom promotion and that Quigg has to get an equal share of the purse.

He's got a "World" champion and Hearn wants to milk him......Which has been done since the dawn of time and who can blame him...............World champions are a hard thing to come by over here...............remember

1st defence - Bumphus 140 pounder
2nd defence- Hatcher   140 pounder
3rd defence - Blocker journeyman
4th defence - Vaca..........God awful useless chump..............

Starling, Breland, Brown and Trice somehow missed out..

However the milk is running dry..............Quigg has used a lot of his capital..

Blocker was an undefeated prospect who went on to become a world titlist. The journeyman tag perhaps a little harsh in this instance ?

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:41 pm

Don't be a pedant Horizontal, you know as well as all of us the only way Truss can understand anything in modern boxing is through comparing it to something that happened during a four year period in the mid 80s. We all have different methods of understanding new information, who are we to mock Truss' chosen method.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:44 pm

huw wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

The only way it really backfires is he doesn't get the fight.

He is still a World Champion and should be able to line up some big fights, just not sure he makes Khan money for them.

Haven't heard Brook doing this but as said, it is probably his delivery rather than his words, just doesn't have that twinkle in his eyes that'll allow him to say anything and seems forced with Brook.
The excellent "this will be a real war of nutrition" comment springs to mind.

I have to say the build-up to a fight between these two would be toe curlingly hilarious...not sure I could endure any more "in the sport of boxing" soundbites

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:46 pm

Rowley wrote:Don't be a pedant Horizontal, you know as well as all of us the only way Truss can understand anything in modern boxing is through comparing it to something that happened during a four year period in the mid 80s. We all have different methods of understanding new information, who are we to mock Truss' chosen method.
This should also answer Huw's question to TRUSS as to how he'd goad Khan into the ring

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:47 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Rowley wrote:Don't be a pedant Horizontal, you know as well as all of us the only way Truss can understand anything in modern boxing is through comparing it to something that happened during a four year period in the mid 80s. We all have different methods of understanding new information, who are we to mock Truss' chosen method.
This should also answer Huw's question to TRUSS as to how he'd goad Khan into the ring

laughing

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:01 pm

'Future world champ' is only a relevant credential if it supports Truss hyping some Yank fighter he likes.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:26 pm

Would Barry be willing to do a joint promotion on Sky?

And if not, why not?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:27 pm

Think BM is looking to maximise Carl's profile, and sees terrestrial tv as the outlet.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:35 pm

Yeah but I mean just for one fight.

A win over Quigg would surely , long term, increase Carl's profile regardless of what channel it takes place on?

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:38 pm

One big win on ITV would build his profile about 10 times as much than on sky PPV. If its on sky sports then I agree.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:50 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:One big win on ITV would build his profile about 10 times as much than on sky PPV. If its on sky sports then I agree.
They could have celebrity commentary from Louis Walsh

"You look like a Champion, you sound like a Champion, I* think you could be a Champion"

*My 'wife' and I

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:00 pm

I have to dispute that.

A win over Quigg on ppv would have more of a positive effect on Carl's profile than wins over nomarks on ITV for the next five years.

But why does Carl's profile need enhancing so much anyway?

He's already universally regarded as one of the three best super bantams in the world already.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:02 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:I have to dispute that.

A win over Quigg on ppv would have more of a positive effect on Carl's profile than wins over nomarks on ITV for the next five years.

But why does Carl's profile need enhancing so much anyway?

He's already universally regarded as one of the three best super bantams in the world already.
If that was the case Quigg wouldn't bother fighting him would he?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next