The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher

+32
Roller_Coaster
Bob_the_Job
JAS
NickisBHAFC
Hoggy_Bear
navyblueshorts
sportform
monty junior
NedB-H
owen10ozzy
Eyetoldyouso
Scottrf
mystiroakey
Davie
1GrumpyGolfer
Hibbz
beninho
MontysMerkin
LadyPutt
SmithersJones
John Cregan
dynamark
GPB
Lairdy
Shotrock
MustPuttBetter
sirbenson
McLaren
pedro
incontinentia
I'm never wrong
kwinigolfer
36 posters

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 7 Empty PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Apr 2015, 3:08 am

First topic message reminder :

1).Last year I slurped a couple of bottles of Malbec and attempted to make a case for a European Champion. Henrik Stenson was the chosen candidate and he played well but not nearly well enough, Jonas Blixt finishing ahead of him as the leading Swede. So we changed the formula this year, not the Malbec of course, but let's revert to Andy North's time-honoured process of elimination.
NB: Any bias or prejudice is entirely intentional.

2).Starting with Amateurs. One or two have come close, Patton, Venturi, but none won a Green Jacket and that won't change this year. Seven eliminated.

3).No rookie has one since Fuzzy Zoeller over 35 years ago. I fancy Tringale to play well, but I'll go with history and take out the 13 first-timers.

4).Jack Nicklaus won the 1986 Masters at the age of 46, the oldest Champion. I don't see any of the forty-somethings in the field improving their game, so let's dispense with the likes of Westwood, Furyk and Els and 20 others. 23 can exit, best chances Phil, who's only had one top ten finish since Muirfield, and Cabrera, always a decent each way punt.

5).Augusta National could be the toughest walking course these guys play, not good if you're carrying a knock, physically or mentally, or in some cases Tiger, both. Bye bye to seven crocks, including McDowell, Stenson and Reed.

6).Poor putters and scramblers need not apply. 24 still standing are #110 or below in the PGA Tour's primary putting or scrambling stat. On your way then Dustin, Rickie, Keegan, Webb, Kaymer, Rose, Charl and Adam. Big risk sending Matsuyama and Oosthuizen down the road, but their putting has not been good enough. Russell Henley may be a putting genius but he needs to scramble too.

7).As baseball fans know, "Chicks dig the long ball", and so do Augusta's Green Jackets; bad news for slowpokes Crane and Na and eight others, none of them in the top 100. Sorry Sneds, still good for a place.

8).Only fourteen left so time to discard those currently out of form. Regardless of what they might have done elsewhere in the world, none of this lot have a PGA Tour top ten finish this year: Dubuisson, Grace, Ilonen, Mahan, Streelman, Villegas. Adios to the 6 of you.

9).And of the rest, only Jason Day, Spieth and Jimmy Walker have wins, so San-Moon Bae, Sergio, Rory, Ryan Palmer and Bubba can leave quietly down Magnolia Lane.

10).Day, Spieth and Walker have all played well at Augusta. Day and Spieth have play-off wins this year, Walker has two wins by a total of 13 strokes. Give me the proven winner and measure up Jimmy Walker for a Green Jacket. Cheers.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 7 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by pedro Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:13 pm

No fishing this weekend for Stricker.

pedro

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 7 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Masters Winner, via Process of Elimination: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Lairdy Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:14 pm

Right club from JP eventually but it's Rory that's missing the tiddlers that's for definite.
Always kind of liked Casey but I have seen him up close as well and it wasn't pleasant.
Moore in their to help tv ratings Laugh he is a quirky guy.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:14 pm

John Cregan wrote:
beninho wrote:I don't get the whole support the English guys because they are English nonsense
Why?? Im Irish and support the Irish guys (that includes NI thumbsup )

It's an individual sport. They are competingfor themselves. If iI like the way they come across I don't care what nationality they are. I can't take to casey though.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:16 pm

Casey has bit of a rubber face.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:17 pm

Why did Rory have to draw it into 15? Wasn't necesary for Scott and Dustin.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:17 pm

incontinentia wrote:
beninho wrote:I don't get the whole support the English guys because they are English nonsense
Patriotism- the idea that your country is better than everyone else's because you were born there

Not true in the slightest. Well not for all, it's more about supporting players you have followed for a long time and part of the same system you yourself has been in.

But all the same it's golf and nationality is only part of the reason to follow a player.

Anyway shall we not take this off topic. I just can't be bothered with the ignorance or the typical english stance that it's wrong to support an Englishman or english team.. It's perfectly normal in every other nation and has little to do with feeling superior.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:18 pm

A friend went to a golf clinic he did and said he wasn't great and went on about it just being his job.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:19 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
McLaren wrote:Is anyone else starting to think Spieth is actually quite hansom?

I dunno Mac . But your spelling isn't handsome. Wink, Unless you are telling us Spieth is like a horse drawn carriage .

Hark at the grammar nazi! Wink
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:19 pm

Local h00kers waiting for Crenshaw?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:20 pm

I saw Spieth being interviewed on ESPN, earlier today and I hope he had hat hair otherwise it looks like he might be thinning a little already.

McIlroy with a chance to bounce back on 15.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:20 pm

SmithersJones wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
McLaren wrote:Is anyone else starting to think Spieth is actually quite hansom?

I dunno Mac . But your spelling isn't handsome. Wink, Unless you are telling us Spieth is like a horse drawn carriage .

Hark at the grammar nazi! Wink

Reserved only for Mac.. For obvious reasons in the past Wink

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:21 pm

I will happily want any England national team to win. If this was the Olympics I would cheer on poulter and case if they were competing for England. I though do not want to see almost any English team to do well in the champions league.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:22 pm

1GrumpyGolfer wrote:I saw Spieth being interviewed on ESPN, earlier today and I hope he had hat hair otherwise it looks like he might be thinning a little already.
He doubles as Prince William.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:22 pm

I would go through the crenshaw family one at a time.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:23 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
incontinentia wrote:
Patriotism- the idea that your country is better than everyone else's because you were born there

Not true in the slightest. Well not for all, it's more about supporting players you have followed for a long time and part of the same system you yourself has been in.

But all the same it's golf and nationality is only part of the reason to follow a player.

Anyway shall we not take this off topic. I just can't be bothered with the ignorance or the typical english stance that it's wrong to support an Englishman or english team.. It's perfectly normal in every other nation and has little to do with feeling superior.

Spot on Mysti. Most of the Olympic sports were "individual" yet we all supported our own country.

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:24 pm

beninho wrote:I would go through the crenshaw family one at a time.
Apart from his wife they look about 12....

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:25 pm

John Cregan wrote:Spot on Mysti. Most of the Olympic sports were "individual" yet we all supported our own country.
Although I don't disagree with supporting your countrymen, the fact that they are competing for Team GB is a fairly major difference.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:25 pm

monty junior wrote:I can't stand Bruce Critchley with his "one of ours" crap and pompous attitude. Boring as hell as well, i like Butch except when he goes "attaboy" whoever, or refers to players as Rors or Poults!  steam

It's terrible, isn't it? I was listening to the tributes to Richie Benaud on 5Live tonight and they listed his commentating tips. One of the first was 'Never say 'we' when talking about a team, swiftly followed by 'engage your brain before you open your mouth'. Critchley and indeed many of his colleagues would do well to listen to those tips. RIP Richie.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:26 pm

At least Crenshaw will take home a trophy tonight.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:27 pm

Starting with Big Ben, ben?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:31 pm

pedro wrote:
Starting with Big Ben, ben?

and finishing with the old caddy.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:32 pm

At least his wife made the cut....

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:33 pm

trophy? You mean he's going to have a go at one of his daughters?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:35 pm

Isn't that what they do in the southern states kwini?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:37 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:trophy? You mean he's going to have a go at one of his daughters?
? His wife looks half his age.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:37 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:trophy? You mean he's going to have a go at one of his daughters?
It's not like his wife is exactly his own age, is it...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:39 pm

I'll leave that to GPB for his social commentary.
Tomorrow it'll be the Dustin and Justin show.
And, just possibly, the Woods and Garcia fried chicken fest.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:42 pm

Could be fun if Dustin was playing with Meth...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:48 pm

Phil allways does this. Amazing player and never gives up. Don't count him out just yet.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:57 pm

Incredible shot from Phil on 17!

Impressive chip in from Rory!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 10 Apr 2015, 11:57 pm

Bring on Woods vs Garcia lol!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sat 11 Apr 2015, 12:02 am

Very impressive from Mcilroy. If he birdies the last, he could shoot a 65/64 and who knows

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 11 Apr 2015, 12:03 am

sirbenson wrote:Bring on Woods vs Garcia lol!
Garcia looked fried today....

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sat 11 Apr 2015, 12:04 am

Jamie Kennedy ‏@jamierkennedy 9m9 minutes ago
Augusta's a 2nd shot golf course right?

Stadler: 30 GIR
Spieth: 28 GIR

Stadler: +7
Spieth: -14

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 11 Apr 2015, 12:04 am

Weather forecast for Sat?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Sat 11 Apr 2015, 12:06 am

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Augusta+GA+USGA0032:1:US

It looks ok! Hopefully the course doesn't get overnight rain

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 11 Apr 2015, 12:07 am

40-31 for Rory, hopefully enough to keep him interested Saturday.

Forecast for Saturday is pretty good: 82F degrees breezes about 10 mph, mostly dry. But showers on the doorstep now so course can't dry out too much. Good for Sunday also.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 11 Apr 2015, 12:07 am

sirbenson wrote:Bring on Woods vs Garcia lol!
Now they'll probably "draw" Tiger with Rory.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 11 Apr 2015, 12:08 am

Just thinking if weather can shake things up?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sat 11 Apr 2015, 12:10 am

Apparently Charley Hoffman isn't really second in the Masters, it's just a scoreboard illusion!

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 11 Apr 2015, 12:13 am

His old hairdo wasn't an illusion I'm afraid...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 11 Apr 2015, 12:14 am

Bubba and Top Five paired tomorrow.  If they get into a fight in the parking lot, no one will care or come to their rescue.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sat 11 Apr 2015, 12:16 am

Everything about him is according to Monty!

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 11 Apr 2015, 12:19 am

monty junior wrote:Apparently Charley Hoffman isn't really second in the Masters, it's just a scoreboard illusion!

That was kind of odd ..

The concern with his comment is that if monty truely believes Hoffman is no threat . Speith will be under no pressure tommorow due to his playing partner.

But anyway as well as Speith has played. We need some drama or it will be Poldark and an early night Sunday for me.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 11 Apr 2015, 12:19 am

GPB wrote:Bubba and Top Five paired tomorrow.  If they get into a fight in the parking lot, no one will care or come to their rescue.
Maybe I'll run them over with my Hummer.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sat 11 Apr 2015, 12:22 am

In terms of a name he isn't as big as the guys immediately behind him but how often does the lesser known player almost play pressure free golf and end up winning. The most obvious one being Yang against Tiger in 09.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 11 Apr 2015, 12:45 am

Hibbz said a few hours ago not to hand the tournament to Spieth just yet.

Agree with that, but someone's got to make a run with a good score early on. If Spieth gets to think it's a walk in the park, it probably will be.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 11 Apr 2015, 12:51 am

Counted wrong.

Reed will be paired with Blixt
Watson will be paired with Rory

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 11 Apr 2015, 1:05 am

monty junior wrote:In terms of a name he isn't as big as the guys immediately behind him but how often does the lesser known player almost play pressure free golf and end up winning. The most obvious one being Yang against Tiger in 09.

Faldo against Norman in 1996?   censored laughing

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 11 Apr 2015, 1:26 am

First man out of the traps is Steve Stricker, probably playing with Augusta National Member Knox, wouldn't you think?
Regardless, Stricker will be off at 10.05, followed by Westwood and Lahiri (hasn't he done well??!!).

Some great pairings, with Rory and Bubba at 12.45 p.m., Woods and Garcia at 1.15 p.m., Scott and GDay at 1.45 p.m. and Dustin and Justin at 2.45 p.m., Hoffman and Spieth bringing up the rear ten minutes later.

I predict a big round for either Donaldson or Walker, paired for the third day running, but without the hoopla of Tiger.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next