The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RC Toulon v Leinster Rugby, 19 April

+36
alcoombe
funnyExiledScot
PredictorofTeams
monwy
RDW
Ozzy3213
BamBam
wales606
No 7&1/2
Heaf
VinceWLB
Geordie
kunu
Engine#4
LeinsterFan4life
Sin é
FecklessRogue
The Great Aukster
LondonTiger
doctor_grey
Pot Hale
ME-109
Cyril
Rory_Gallagher
Welshmushroom
quinsforever
asoreleftshoulder
The Saint
Notch
Jenifer McLadyboy
SecretFly
thebandwagonsociety
Mickado
whocares
rodders
George Carlin
40 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

RC Toulon v Leinster Rugby, 19 April - Page 5 Empty RC Toulon v Leinster Rugby, 19 April

Post by George Carlin Tue 14 Apr 2015, 7:46 am

First topic message reminder :

RC Toulon v Leinster Rugby, 19 April - Page 5 Toulon10        RC Toulon v Leinster Rugby, 19 April - Page 5 Leinst10
RC Toulon v Leinster Rugby
Sunday 19 April 2015
KO 16:15
Stade Vélodrome, Marseille

Referee: Wayne Barnes

Live on France 2 / beIN / Sky Sports

Form:

RC Toulon
5/4/15 - Toulon 32 - 18 Wasps
24/1/15 - Scarlets 3 - 26 Toulon
17/1/15 - Toulon 60 - 22 Ulster

Leinster Rugby
4/4/15 - Leinster 18 - 15 Bath
24/1/15 - Wasps 20 - 20 Leinster
17/1/15 - Leinster 50 - 8 Castres

Teams:

RC Toulon
Halfpenny; D Armitage, M Bastareaud, Gitea, Habana; Michalak, Tillous-Borde; Chiocci, Guirado, Hayman (capt); Botha, Williams; Smith, Fernandez Lobbe, Masoe.

Replacements: Orioli, Menini, Chilachava, S Armitage, Mitchell, Wulf, Claassens, Suta

Leinster Rugby
R Kearney; McFadden, Te'o, Madigan, Fitzgerald; Gopperth, Boss; Healy, Cronin, Ross, Toner, M McCarthy, J Murphy, O'Brien, J Heaslip.

Replacements: Strauss, J McGrath, Moore, Marshall, D Ryan, Reddan, G D'Arcy, Kirchner.

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 17 Apr 2015, 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

RC Toulon v Leinster Rugby, 19 April - Page 5 Empty Re: RC Toulon v Leinster Rugby, 19 April

Post by ME-109 Sun 19 Apr 2015, 5:49 pm

Pity, with a Leinster Clermont final both teams would have brought a large amount of fans (Leinster obviously). Thankfully not a Sarries/Toulon final. Would have been one man and a dog at that.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

RC Toulon v Leinster Rugby, 19 April - Page 5 Empty Re: RC Toulon v Leinster Rugby, 19 April

Post by VinceWLB Sun 19 Apr 2015, 5:50 pm

ME-109 wrote:Pity, with a Leinster Clermont final both teams would have brought a large amount of fans (Leinster obviously). Thankfully not a Sarries/Toulon final. Would have been one man and a dog at that.

And possibly a cat too lol.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Sun 19 Apr 2015, 5:51 pm

VinceWLB wrote:
ME-109 wrote:Pity, with a Leinster Clermont final both teams would have brought a large amount of fans (Leinster obviously). Thankfully not a Sarries/Toulon final. Would have been one man and a dog at that.

And possibly a cat too lol.

Very Happy

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 19 Apr 2015, 5:51 pm

quinsforever wrote:

armitage is world class. 5 ft 7 and 18 stone of turnover excellence.

That's a lot of burgers! He obviously practices the turn-overs on the barbi.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by kunu Sun 19 Apr 2015, 5:54 pm

Weird comment from Habana "we arrived and thought the game was going to be a walkover". Can't say I blame them
kunu
kunu

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 19 Apr 2015, 5:54 pm

Judging by the quality of each semi (even factoring in sh!t weather), Clermont should hammer Toulon.

Just that for some reason we all know it won't be that simple.

Crying shame Leinster just could not kick their goals.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 19 Apr 2015, 6:05 pm

kunu wrote:Weird comment from Habana "we arrived and thought the game was going to be a walkover". Can't say I blame them

That's why I salute Leinster.  Underdogs.  Season long Underperformers.  5th in their own League against top of the Top14. Dogged with a proven below-par coach.  Out in a semi-final that went to extra time and a score line of 25 - 20, against the European Champions in pretty much their own back yard.  Call it what you like, that's European pedigree.  And that's quite a bloody effort with so many obstacles in their way.  

They'll Be Back in Europe. Wink I was only hoping they wouldn't be humiliated. They weren't.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by monwy Sun 19 Apr 2015, 6:14 pm

That was pretty painful viewing, a testing mix of dull and rubbish.  In combination with the god awful commentary I was desperate for anyone to score at the end of normal time to put the match and viewers out of their misery.  If only both sides could have lost.  Rugby certainly did.

monwy

Back to top Go down

Post by PredictorofTeams Sun 19 Apr 2015, 6:41 pm

SecretFly wrote:
kunu wrote:Weird comment from Habana "we arrived and thought the game was going to be a walkover". Can't say I blame them

That's why I salute Leinster.  Underdogs.  Season long Underperformers.  5th in their own League against top of the Top14. Dogged with a proven below-par coach.  Out in a semi-final that went to extra time and a score line of 25 - 20, against the European Champions in pretty much their own back yard.  Call it what you like, that's European pedigree.  And that's quite a bloody effort with so many obstacles in their way.  

They'll Be Back in Europe. Wink  I was only hoping they wouldn't be humiliated.  They weren't.

Fly you are what's wrong with Ireland and it's fans. Your mentality is disappointing but expected. Leinster had the far superior scrum and lineout, and I don't care who you are playing against if you have a far superior set piece and a good goal kicker you should expect to win.

In my opinion, Toulon are the most hyped up team in club rugby. Their front 5 is average - the ageing Williams and Botha's only impact in the game was their shocking discipline. The back row is good - however Armitage today repeatedly didn't release the tackler before competing, yet wasn't penalised. Half backs are adequate at best - Michilack's "flair" is laughable. Centres are probably where they're at their strongest with Giteau, although Basterau tends to drop off a lot of tackles as the game wears on. The back 3 are again good but not anything special. Overall I can't see how that doesn't make for an average team, and it really frustrates me when I hear Sky's brainwashing comments about how Botha, Habana and Williams are "special players" , when yes they once were, but they certainly aren't now.
Throwing Leinster compliments after that performance is exactly what's wrong with Leinster's mentality and possibly why we didn't win today.

PredictorofTeams

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 19 Apr 2015, 6:47 pm

Was at an ice skating party for my daughter so missed the game. Was it not good then?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 19 Apr 2015, 7:01 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Was at an ice skating party for my daughter so missed the game. Was it not good then?

It was a cracking game - very enjoyable. Very tense, neither side giving an inch, and bringing it to the wire and extra time was no surprise really for two teams who have excelled in European Cup campaigns.

In the end there could be only one winner, and it was inevitably a mistake by one side pounced on by the other that settled the match.

Of the teams playing this weekend, based on their semi-final performance, I'd rank the top 3 1. Toulon, 2 Leinster, 3 Clermont.

Toulon v Clermont should be an interesting final.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 19 Apr 2015, 7:03 pm

PredictorofTeams wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

They'll Be Back in Europe. Wink  I was only hoping they wouldn't be humiliated.  They weren't.

Fly you are what's wrong with Ireland and it's fans. Your mentality is disappointing but expected.

And who made you God?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 19 Apr 2015, 7:07 pm

Just wanted to say I thoroughly enjoyed that, great entertainment if not the most skilfully executed contest.

McCarthy and SOB were outstanding.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 19 Apr 2015, 7:28 pm

PredictorofTeams wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Fly you are what's wrong with Ireland and it's fans. Your mentality is disappointing but expected. Leinster had the far superior scrum and lineout, and I don't care who you are playing against if you have a far superior set piece and a good goal kicker you should expect to win.

In my opinion, Toulon are the most hyped up team in club rugby. Their front 5 is average - the ageing Williams and Botha's only impact in the game was their shocking discipline. The back row is good - however Armitage today repeatedly didn't release the tackler before competing, yet wasn't penalised. Half backs are adequate at best - Michilack's "flair" is laughable. Centres are probably where they're at their strongest with Giteau, although Basterau tends to drop off a lot of tackles as the game wears on. The back 3 are again good but not anything special. Overall I can't see how that doesn't make for an average team, and it really frustrates me when I hear Sky's brainwashing comments about how Botha, Habana and Williams are "special players" , when yes they once were, but they certainly aren't now.
Throwing Leinster compliments after that performance is exactly what's wrong with Leinster's mentality and possibly why we didn't win today.

Predictor, I know what I'm talking about.  I know why I'm saying what I'm saying.  Now you tell me why you're saying:

"Your mentality is disappointing but expected".  Tell me where you've got enough declared opinions from me that allows you to think my mentality is what you 'expect'?  In words - that I expressed about Leinster in recent weeks, months, days.  Throw in Ireland too, since you're at it.

"Toulon are the most hyped up team in club rugby"  If they are, it's not me hyping them.  That's another thing you won't find me having printed on this site - gushing guff about Toulon - this year or last year.  But they ARE Champions of Europe twice now in a row and going for a third on the hop.  They ARE currently on top of the Top14 - most wins, most points, greatest points difference, most tries.......  You call them Hyped if you want.  I still say they prove what they are, and that is a Tough team to beat. -  You agree?  Or if you don't, name the team or teams that wouldn't find them a tough team to overcome.

"I don't care who you are playing against if you have a far superior set piece and a good goal kicker you should expect to win"
 How many points did our 'Good Goal Kicker' miss? -  5? -  Just the number we needed to get to penalties Wink  Wishful thinking doesn't win games.  Neither does righteous anger at the conclusion when it came so close.  Did you expect Leinster to come away with a comfortable win based on their form this year?  Were they pretending to be so bad for most of the season? -  Did you lose a lot of money on them?? Wink

I don't care what the quality of the game was - it was much closer to the bone than many 'Predictors' were predicting.  When a team does that, you applaud that team that nothing was expected of.  You also hope you see that the instincts for survival are still strong enough to suggest with improved coaching or some more players prospectively coming in or back, Leinster will still be a powerful European side into the immediate future.  I'll do the moans later in the week about the detail, but for now, I applaud the players for the effort.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by alcoombe Sun 19 Apr 2015, 7:32 pm

I can't believe I persisted with that game, a heaving pile of 5h1t and a complete waste of an afternoon.  I'm not sure what lost hours I feel angrier about, this afternoon's or those I spent in a cinema for Cameron's Titanic.  I should have walked out on both.

alcoombe

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 19 Apr 2015, 7:38 pm

Well played Leinster - the difference between Toulon and everyone else is they have superior decision makers and more of them. Giteau would never have thrown the intercept pass, and if by some miracle he had, would Fitzgerald/Kirchener/McFadden have read it? Hayman, F-Lobbe, Masoe, StefanA, Tillous Borde, Giteau, Habana and Halfpenny make good decisions and that wins them the Championship minutes.

Clermont have some cracking players but Brock James can be flakey, and that is why they are not a Championship team yet - this might be their year but it will require a lot of luck.

Leinster will be a lot better with Sexton on the pitch both for his abilities but just as much for his leadership. Given their impotence in the back line it's hard to see how MOC will survive beyond this season.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Sun 19 Apr 2015, 7:46 pm

Well played Toulon. The better team won.

Leinster has nothing today outside of their pack. Toulon had a team with star players throughout. Well played Toulon, well paid.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 19 Apr 2015, 7:46 pm

Toulon always seem to just do enough to win in games where they are favourites (pretty much every game these days). It's like they seem to think they can canter to a win in 1st/2nd gear. They're usually right, but it would be nice to see them hit top form occasionally.

Bad luck Leinster. Like Sarries yesterday it was a gritty performance but not quite good enough. Neither Leinster nor Sarries should be ashamed of losing by a score away in a semi-final against the two best sides in Europe.

Looking forward to the final. Let's hope Clermont really bring out the best in Toulon.

Great to see Jonny at the end of the game. Looks like he's enjoying life Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by PredictorofTeams Sun 19 Apr 2015, 8:00 pm

SecretFly wrote:
PredictorofTeams wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Predictor, I know what I'm talking about.  I know why I'm saying what I'm saying.  Now you tell me why you're saying:

"Your mentality is disappointing but expected".  Tell me where you've got enough declared opinions from me that allows you to think my mentality is what you 'expect'?  In words - that I expressed about Leinster in recent weeks, months, days.  Throw in Ireland too, since you're at it.

"Toulon are the most hyped up team in club rugby"  If they are, it's not me hyping them.  That's another thing you won't find me having printed on this site - gushing guff about Toulon - this year or last year.  But they ARE Champions of Europe twice now in a row and going for a third on the hop.  They ARE currently on top of the Top14 - most wins, most points, greatest points difference, most tries.......  You call them Hyped if you want.  I still say they prove what they are, and that is a Tough team to beat. -  You agree?  Or if you don't, name the team or teams that wouldn't find them a tough team to overcome.

"I don't care who you are playing against if you have a far superior set piece and a good goal kicker you should expect to win"
 How many points did our 'Good Goal Kicker' miss? -  5? -  Just the number we needed to get to penalties Wink  Wishful thinking doesn't win games.  Neither does righteous anger at the conclusion when it came so close.  Did you expect Leinster to come away with a comfortable win based on their form this year?  Were they pretending to be so bad for most of the season? -  Did you lose a lot of money on them?? Wink

I don't care what the quality of the game was - it was much closer to the bone than many 'Predictors' were predicting.  When a team does that, you applaud that team that nothing was expected of.  You also hope you see that the instincts for survival are still strong enough to suggest with improved coaching or some more players prospectively coming in or back, Leinster will still be a powerful European side into the immediate future.  I'll do the moans later in the week about the detail, but for now, I applaud the players for the effort.

I was saying your mentality is disappointing as you were complimenting Leinster after their "hard fought" loss. And it was expected as most Irish people will have the same attitude. We should be saying we should have won.

I agree on their day Toulon are a tough team to beat, but certainly not today and they are certainly not the world beaters people are claiming.

Madigan missed 3 points as did the "magnificent" Halfpenny, Gopperth missed the other 2, good try though.

I expected it to be tight and Leinster to put in a valiant effort but just loose out in stunning fashion, allowing supporters such as yourself to give them a pat on the back and say "good job guys!". Annoyingly I got what I expected.

PredictorofTeams

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 19 Apr 2015, 8:02 pm

I thought Toulon was going too lose, and i do belive if Madigan had not try to force the pass that Habana picked they would have won.

A good game from both team.But Toulon in my opinion was very lucky to win to day.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by nth Sun 19 Apr 2015, 8:10 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Was at an ice skating party for my daughter so missed the game. Was it not good then?

I've no idea what the whole match was like but the first half was so bad I fell asleep somewhere around HT without the prior aid of a drop to drink or even a roast.

nth

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 19 Apr 2015, 8:44 pm

PredictorofTeams wrote:

I was saying your mentality is disappointing as you were complimenting Leinster after their "hard fought" loss. And it was expected as most Irish people will have the same attitude. We should be saying we should have won.

I agree on their day Toulon are a tough team to beat, but certainly not today and they are certainly not the world beaters people are claiming.

Madigan missed 3 points as did the "magnificent" Halfpenny, Gopperth missed the other 2, good try though.  

I expected it to be tight and Leinster to put in a valiant effort but just loose out in stunning fashion, allowing supporters such as yourself to give them a pat on the back and say "good job guys!". Annoyingly I got what I expected.

So Predictor, you expected reactions like mine before the game even kicked off and yet you're disappointed I proved your prediction right?   Damn, it's hard to be a good guy in this scenario!!  I'm damned if I do or don't Wink

You also expected a tight 'Valiant' effort and a 'just loose out' finish?  Can you tell me if you said that earlier in print and where I might find it?  Just to confirm we're not all being a tad wise after the event?  
But even putting that to one side, you do say you 'Expected' a 'Valiant' Leinster effort but weren't in advance prepared to at least applaud the players for doing something valiant rather than imploding and embarrassing themselves, which was on the cards considering how their season has been going to date.

Finally, Yes - we should have won.  I was actually hoping through the game that we might do.  I was hoping we might steal it towards the end of the 80.  I was hoping we'd do enough in the extra time.  I'll bet the players were hoping they'd win too.  If I thought hoping or saying "We should win" would make us win, I'd have been chanting it all week.  Unfortunately it doesn't and won't into the future.  

You have to read much more of me, Predictor.  You have me all wrong if you think I'm just one of these clichéd Irish fans who just like the fun of taking part.... sure didn't we have a good time drinking and things!!!.  No, that's not me.  Not me in person or print.  Proof is all through 606.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 19 Apr 2015, 8:44 pm

Firstly well done Toulon but unfortunatly Barnes cost us that by not calling Toulon for not letting go in the tackle.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 19 Apr 2015, 8:47 pm

Also how many times can Toulon get away with pushing before the ball went into the scrums!

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sun 19 Apr 2015, 10:34 pm

hilarious

leinster are rubbi1sh this season and should feel really pleased to have gotten through to a european semi, with all the lucky breaks involved in getting them there. not whinge about how barnes cost them a spot in the final.

hilarious

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 19 Apr 2015, 10:54 pm

Leinster's halfbacks looked pretty poor today. 10. Madigan, 12, D'Arcy, 13. Te'o may have faired better. Is Boss considered better than Reddan these days? Luke McGrath looks good btw.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 20 Apr 2015, 12:54 am

quinsforever wrote:hilarious

leinster are rubbi1sh this season and should feel really pleased to have gotten through to a european semi, with all the lucky breaks involved in getting them there. not whinge about how barnes cost them a spot in the final.

hilarious

Leinster have not whinged about Barnes costing them a place in the final.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 20 Apr 2015, 6:42 am

The Saint wrote:Leinster's halfbacks looked pretty poor today. 10. Madigan, 12, D'Arcy, 13. Te'o may have faired better. Is Boss considered better than Reddan these days? Luke McGrath looks good btw.

Did you see the intercept? There is a reason Gopperth has been keeping Madigan away from the 10 shirt..after all.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 20 Apr 2015, 7:41 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Also how many times can Toulon get away with pushing before the ball went into the scrums!
The Toulon defensive line was also constantly offside. Hopefully we get a decent ref like Owens for the final who will set out his stall early.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 20 Apr 2015, 7:59 am

Pot Hale wrote:

hilarious

True, but some fans are.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Mon 20 Apr 2015, 8:25 am

I’ve forced myself to rewatch that intercept so many times, I really feel sorry for Madigan, we had a 3 on 2, had T’eo stepped inside and straightened up it would have been Habana left flapping and we’d have had a 3 on 1, run in try.

Fine margins, this season has been poor by our high standards but this team don’t owe me anything, they’ve consistently won trophies for the last 7/8 years, and this is a blip, we’ll be back next year. Allez les bleus!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 20 Apr 2015, 12:44 pm

Mickado wrote:
Fine margins, this season has been poor by our high standards but this team don’t owe me anything, they’ve consistently won trophies for the last 7/8 years, and this is a blip, we’ll be back next year. Allez les bleus!

More Ladyboy supporters should behave like you. clap

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 20 Apr 2015, 3:43 pm

Hard luck Leinster - I flipping recorded this then 2FM blurted out the result on the way home ...then the recording stopped in extra time so missed the winning score and finish to the game!

Anyways from what I did see, Leinster should really have pulled off one of their great European results albeit it wasn't a great game.

I fancy Clermont to do it now, who've been by far the best side in a mediocre tournament which has been a pale comparison of the previous one.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 20 Apr 2015, 3:50 pm

Well done Leinster for putting up a good fight. Not far off the mark and with Sexton back, you should be back up there next season (though you need a new scrumhalf). As a neutral (sort of) I enjoyed the game (just saw 80mins).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 20 Apr 2015, 3:55 pm

rodders wrote:Hard luck Leinster - I flipping recorded this then 2FM blurted out the result on the way home ...then the recording stopped in extra time so missed the winning score and finish to the game!

Anyways from what I did see, Leinster should really have pulled off one of their great European results albeit it wasn't a great game.

I fancy Clermont to do it now, who've been by far the best side in a mediocre tournament which has been a pale comparison of the previous one.

Why a pale comparison?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 Apr 2015, 3:59 pm

Sin é wrote:Well done Leinster for putting up a good fight. Not far off the mark and with Sexton back, you should be back up there next season (though you need a new scrumhalf). As a neutral (sort of) I enjoyed the game (just saw 80mins).

Yeah, I thought it was a real big game of Heavies at it and a battle of grunt and spine and spit and defiance. Not daintily pretty but genuine stuff of the variety that wins the real end-games when the pretty stuff is dispensed with.

But the 'purists' of the new Rugby Leagueist Appreciation Society absolutely detested the game.  BORingh!!!!! "Where's the running and fancy passing, like?  I pay for EnglandvFrance me, and I'm not best pleased to see mucky f**kers roll around in the grass for 80!"

I think Rugby Union might divide itself again if this keeps up.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:01 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
rodders wrote:Hard luck Leinster - I flipping recorded this then 2FM blurted out the result on the way home ...then the recording stopped in extra time so missed the winning score and finish to the game!

Why a pale comparison?

Maybe the split coverage hasn't helped but for me its just really been dull and lacked the drama and occaision of the Heino.

The fixtures seem very close together and too close to the 6N, which gives a big advantage to the big French sides, with their massive squads and sides with lots of overseas players.

Having less teams mean you get the same sides meeting again, like Sarries and Clermont. The second tier has been a total irrelevance and overall this didn't feel like a European semi final weekend at all.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:06 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:

Why a pale comparison?

Coz we lost, innit!!!! Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:11 pm

Have to agree Rodders. I really don't see what difference it makes if there are 20 or 24 teams in this competition and the Plate competition is a waste of time and money.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:25 pm

Mickado wrote:I’ve forced myself to rewatch that intercept so many times, I really feel sorry for Madigan, we had a 3 on 2, had T’eo stepped inside and straightened up it would have been Habana left flapping and we’d have had a 3 on 1, run in try.

Agree, the pass was on but it was. Habana gambled and it paid off this time. Had Teo not drifted he would have got the ball ahead of Habana. Teo did not need to drift at all, it was his error.

Barnes made some big calls that did not go Leinster's way, but hey what's new. Irish teams should know now that they need to be 10 points better than the opposition when he refs. How was Botha not sin binned in the 1st half? It was the most blatent yellow i've seen in a long time. Armitage never released the tackled player for either of his turnovers, they should have been pens the other way, and in easy 3 point range. These are the main calls that I remember, I don't remember any howlers against Toulon though bar the yellow for Williams. But the contest in the air is a bit of a farce alround. McFadden, didn't touch Habana despite Quins' BS earlier in the thread.

What ultimately costed Leinster the game was MoC. His rubbish tactics and selections over the past 2 years have come home to roost. He is simply not up to the job.

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:41 pm

Good old Madser...I bet if Jimmy G threw the intercept he'd be run out of D4! ... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:51 pm

He is being run out of D4.

Wrong guy but there you go - that's the pursuit of 'excellence'.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 Apr 2015, 4:54 pm

What was it Geordan Murphy said about MOC recently? He said the guy didn't teach players how to approach the breakdown, he expected them to know how to do it.

There we go. He's too educated to teach pupils so prefers to wait around for the dinosaurs to turn up who can coach themselves. Now that's a life! Wink Paid to wait. Paid to onlook.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 20 Apr 2015, 5:06 pm

This is what Murphy said:

"while Schmidt will show you how to clear out a ruck at training, O'Connor just expects you to do it".

THere is a lot of moaning about Leinster's back play and the lack of tries. Worth noting that in MOC's last season with Leicester, they scored 70 tries (Quins were 2nd with 53).
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 Apr 2015, 5:20 pm

Sin é wrote:This is what Murphy said:

"while Schmidt will show you how to clear out a ruck at training, O'Connor just expects you to do it".

THere is a lot of moaning about Leinster's back play and the lack of tries. Worth noting that in MOC's last season with Leicester, they scored 70 tries (Quins were 2nd with 53).

Worth noting indeed! I noted it before he came! But the Leicester boys were still nonplussed about his going. And their lethargy proved the better barometer in the end.

But nope, I don't blame him alone. There are other coaches there. He ain't alone.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 20 Apr 2015, 6:03 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:

hilarious

True, but some fans are.

I've seen one so far.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 20 Apr 2015, 7:12 pm

They're talking a lot of shoite about this game on Against the Head. Quinlan banging on about 'passion and pride'. No mention of structure, discipline, strategy, execution...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 20 Apr 2015, 7:22 pm

Notch wrote:They're talking a lot of shoite about this game on Against the Head. Quinlan banging on about 'passion and pride'. No mention of structure, discipline, strategy, execution...

Well they were right, there was no structure, no discipline, no strategy and no execution lol.

For me it was a Munsteresque performance from Leinster players who did well with their attributes which were on the day pride and commitment, if you consider the poor coaching they have to deal with, they actually did very well.

It's really amazing how basic skills level has regressed in that Leinster team.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 20 Apr 2015, 7:48 pm

VinceWLB wrote:
Notch wrote:They're talking a lot of shoite about this game on Against the Head. Quinlan banging on about 'passion and pride'. No mention of structure, discipline, strategy, execution...

Well they were right, there was no structure, no discipline, no strategy and no execution lol.

For me it was a Munsteresque performance from Leinster players who did well with their attributes which were on the day pride and commitment, if you consider the poor coaching they have to deal with, they actually did very well.

It's really amazing how basic skills level has regressed in that Leinster team.

That's it in a nut-shell.  These players were playing with the fumes of their past in their nostrils.  Nothing structured or strategic...just Munsteresque f**king defiance of the odds - and that is not denigrating Munster at all, it's saying that's all the players had left, themselves and their hearts.  And they kept going, but if only they had a real pattern to work from, they'd probably have won. They didn't win.  Toulon won and deserve the credit for the win.  But that was a great performance from players operating under a coaching set-up that isn't functioning, for whatever reason - the coaching isn't close to being good enough.

I posted a video of 2011 tries scored by Leinster a while back.  And it's not so much the tries, it's simply how those tries were developed further out by clinical attention to drawing defenders in then taking the ball away from them at high pace and accuracy.  Many of the same players playing it but now that's completely gone.  It's bizarre....and curious.... and I don't know how much the WC is informing it, but the fall off is shocking.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 20 Apr 2015, 9:17 pm

Surely the coaches can't make the players forget how to play?

I think a lot of Leinster fans are blaming the coaches too much while ignoring the fact that a lot of their players may just not be good enough.

With the very best set up in the NH that fact was hidden, and with the magic of BOD and Sexton carrying the team along you could ignore some of the others.

But now you're without those two, you're without Darcy, Fitzgerald and Nacewa (spelling) and suddenly you don't look so good.

That's life guys, these things are cyclical, just ask Munster, Leicester, Bath, Ospreys or Toulouse.

Suck it up and stop whining about your coach as if he made you're players play Poopie on purpose.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next