The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly season transfer rumours (continued)....

+63
doctor_grey
pledgeX
DaveM
Hood83
TightHEAD
mikey_dragon
Cyril
BigTrevsbigmac
Moorsman
Cumbrian
Margin_Walker
exileray
bluestonevedder
ScarletSpiderman
HongKongCherry
thespreys
BamBam
No 7&1/2
sirtidychris
thomh
HammerofThunor
beshocked
jimbopip
Golden
21st Century Schizoid Man
broadlandboy
demosthenes
Seagultaf
Fanster
dragon4life
BigGee
rodders
Notch
Majestic83
sad_gimp
rosbif
Sgt_Pooly
nathan
B91212
The Saint
Bathite
lostinwales
InjuredYetAgain
propdavid_london
SirBurger
king_carlos
Driver
sunburyboy
Ozzy3213
Welly
Fluxy
WELL-PAST-IT
LondonTiger
shuren34
RDW
Geordie
formerly known as Sam
whocares
LeinsterFan4life
Bathman_in_London
Rugby Fan
yappysnap
George Carlin
67 posters

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Silly season transfer rumours (continued).... - Page 14 Empty Silly season transfer rumours (continued)....

Post by George Carlin Tue 14 Apr 2015, 7:48 am

First topic message reminder :

Continuation of the previous thread from the esteemed Mister GeordieFalcon:
https://www.606v2.com/t57129-silly-season-transfer-rumours
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Silly season transfer rumours (continued).... - Page 14 Empty Re: Silly season transfer rumours (continued)....

Post by propdavid_london Fri 31 Jul 2015, 4:57 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/33735420

Looks like a useful player - do the Pro12 chaps know anything about him?

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Silly season transfer rumours (continued).... - Page 14 Empty Re: Silly season transfer rumours (continued)....

Post by SirBurger Fri 31 Jul 2015, 5:02 pm

Admittedly his youtube highlights are from 2011, but he looks like he good be a great signing.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 31 Jul 2015, 5:49 pm

He's billed as a big and powerful number 8. Pretty much ticks the box for the back row addition Quins wanted.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 03 Aug 2015, 8:50 am

We were linked with him at one stage last year I believe.

Whats the crack with Auterac. He looks an absolute man mountain? Is he just a gym monkey or is he a genuine scrummager (can he play?)...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon4life Mon 03 Aug 2015, 9:20 am

propdavid_london wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/33735420

Looks like a useful player - do the Pro12 chaps know anything about him?
Bit similar to Fonua at LW big ball carrier, good from base of scrum and carrying in open play but not much of a workrate

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 03 Aug 2015, 11:07 am

GF - Is Auterac leaving Bath? He has looked like a decent player but I guess struggled for consistent game time.
Thanks for the info guys on the Quins singing - if he isnt into high workrates then we can hopefully improve that - but with Robshaw and Wallace we can hopefully accomodate that while giving us a few more carrying options.
Its something we have been crying out for last season - that destructive tackler that Mo Faasavalu played for us.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 03 Aug 2015, 3:34 pm

No they have only just signed him haven't they.

I meant we were linked with that number 8 you have just signed.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon 03 Aug 2015, 3:44 pm

Yeah - I might be wrong, thought Auterac is/was a Bath academy player.
Like I said, I think he has looked useful when I have seen him play.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 03 Aug 2015, 3:47 pm

I thought he moved across there at the start of last season from Sarries.

He's some size, and is already the strongest player in baths squad.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 03 Aug 2015, 5:02 pm

He was at Sarries but signed for Bath last season.

Auterac has been a bit of revelation at Bath, often looking better than James and starting for much of the season. His scrummaging can be really destructive but he's a little up and down, if he add consistency to his game he'll be around the England set up post WC.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 03 Aug 2015, 5:35 pm

I think Auterac will be an international. He's pretty young still and Sarries weren't happy to lose him. He's raw though and neither Catt nor Lahiff offer Bath an experienced hand should he be struggling.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 03 Aug 2015, 6:14 pm

It's great to have so many good young props knocking around.

Actually, were Lahiff to get his career back on track and become the player he threatened to be before his disastrous flirtation with bogan-ism would people welcome him back into the England fold? Or has he burned his bridges? I must admit, I was a bit gutted when he went down under, but now he is really far down the pecking order.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 03 Aug 2015, 9:12 pm

Lahiff is currently so far down the pecking order a mass food poisoning wouldn't see him recalled. The Bath style of play should suit him and if he can edge out Auterac and Catt at Bath then he has a decent chance.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 04 Aug 2015, 9:57 am

None of the England LH props are old either....well maybe Mullan...whats he about 29? Still young for a prop...

Lahiff made his move I wouldn't consider him for England ever again. And as pointed out...he's not good enough.

Whoever it is...they will have to play well to dislodge Marler at the moment.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Tue 04 Aug 2015, 10:16 am

Marco Mama going out on loan from Bristol for the season. I wonder where to...?

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 04 Aug 2015, 12:08 pm

SirBurger wrote:Marco Mama going out on loan from Bristol for the season. I wonder where to...?

According to the Bristol Post, it's either Wuss or Glaws.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Tue 04 Aug 2015, 12:18 pm

Don't Glaws have enough back rowers?!

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 04 Aug 2015, 3:14 pm

World cup cover with Morgan injured/with England, Moriarty with Wales and the PI number 6 with whichever island. Short trip loan signing might help cover. Worcester have lost Senatore a day Williams from their back row.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Driver Wed 05 Aug 2015, 8:03 pm

The 8 who Quins have signed is exactly the type of player they need in there pack. Really big ball carrier who'll get them on the front foot.

From a England point of view i'd of liked to have seen Clifford play more, Or has he joined Saracens? My mind wonders.
Driver
Driver

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 05 Aug 2015, 8:19 pm

Clifford is still at Quins isn't he? Conlon from Exeter went to Sarries.

Quins were a little short in the back row in terms of numbers so I don't think the new 8 will impact the development of Clifford or Christholm, O'Shea is very good at bringing young players through and even with the new acquisition there's not that much squad depth ahead of them.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 06 Aug 2015, 8:23 am

Surely Clifford is a 6/7

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 06 Aug 2015, 8:47 am

Clifford can play across the backrow, I think he played 8 for the U20's

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 06 Aug 2015, 8:58 am

He's not going to play 8 at AP level so you'd assume his future will be at 6. Likewise Christholm will probably play more at 6 especially whilst Robshaw is with England.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu 06 Aug 2015, 9:27 am

Don't reckon Quins will let Clifford go, he'll be club captain one day. Still only 22, give him a couple of years and he will be a first choice pick and will have a couple of caps.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 06 Aug 2015, 10:07 am

Sorry just to clarify, I just feel Clifford will not be an 8 despite him playing there for U20's.
He looks like a 6/7 to me.

Mind Pocock is starting at 8 for Australia with Hooper at 7 in the next Aussie game.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 07 Aug 2015, 7:50 am

I think you are right, Quins' website has him listed as a flanker. I always got the impression that he was the right shape for a traditional open side, but is 6ft 3in/ 6ft 4in too tall?
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 07 Aug 2015, 9:00 am

Do traditional opensides exist anymore mate? Well...bar Australia?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Fri 07 Aug 2015, 10:17 am

Depends entirely on his centre of gravity and strength. Height is irrelevant if the player can get low enough to make their centre of gravity count for something.

Traditionally opensides are more squat as they can get lower to the ground and cover the ball. Pocock is just the ideal 7- 5'11, 105kg, and immensely strong.

I haven't really seen enough of Clifford's breakdown work to make a comment really. Is he decent over the ball? I know he's a great carrier.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 07 Aug 2015, 10:34 am

I've watched Clifford and Chisolm at U20 level. The former perhaps should have been player of the year. Quins are seemingly blessed at 8 with these two in line.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 07 Aug 2015, 10:58 am

England don't play traditional 7's anymore anyway so no worries.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 07 Aug 2015, 4:16 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:I've watched Clifford and Chisolm at U20 level. The former perhaps should have been player of the year. Quins are seemingly blessed at 8 with these two in line.

Under 20 rugby isn't always the best measure of how a player will adapt to senior rugby. If you're big and powerful for you age it tends to lead to a style of play that doesn't translate to senior rugby where players are bigger and more powerful than you. Clifford got away with it at under 20 level but at senior level he'll struggle to make the impact ball in hand from 8. He could be an excellent blindside though, he's got the work rate and skill set to really stand out.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 08 Aug 2015, 9:52 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:I've watched Clifford and Chisolm at U20 level. The former perhaps should have been player of the year. Quins are seemingly blessed at 8 with these two in line.

Under 20 rugby isn't always the best measure of how a player will adapt to senior rugby. If you're big and powerful for you age it tends to lead to a style of play that doesn't translate to senior rugby where players are bigger and more powerful than you. Clifford got away with it at under 20 level but at senior level he'll struggle to make the impact ball in hand from 8. He could be an excellent blindside though, he's got the work rate and skill set to really stand out.

I agree. He looks to me one of those players who looks too big and powerful for U20s to handle, but not big enough at 8 at a senior level. I'd actually really like to see him developed as a 7. He has excellent pace, good skills, good link play and a decent work rate. If he can keep improving over the ball it seems a natural position to me.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 08 Aug 2015, 12:59 pm

I just think with Wallace already at Quins it's more likely he'll play 6. Doesn't mean he can't develop the skills you say but play wider and use those clever running lines he has to offer a different forward attacking threat whilst using his mobility to keep the tackle count high around the park. Leave Wallace/Robshaw to really target the breakdown area in the tight areas.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 08 Aug 2015, 3:36 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:I just think with Wallace already at Quins it's more likely he'll play 6. Doesn't mean he can't develop the skills you say but play wider and use those clever running lines he has to offer a different forward attacking threat whilst using his mobility to keep the tackle count high around the park. Leave Wallace/Robshaw to really target the breakdown area in the tight areas.

Yes I think you're also right on this, I'd expect Wallace/Robshaw to leave him with the 6/8 slots. It depends how you want your 6 to play. I'd like a very hard tackler first and foremost, which he'll never be. I think a 6.5 role with Robshaw similar might work if Easter or another big lump is at 8. In which case he'd have to develop a full skill set. Personally he'd just leapfrog Wallace in my pecking order to play at 7, with Robshaw at 6.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 08 Aug 2015, 4:10 pm

Depends on balance. If you've got a seven that is all over the rucks and the closer exchanges then you don't want a six hanging around there making tackles you want him slightly wider. I think Wallace is lacking impact because he's being forced to play wider as Robshaw is all about making tackles around the ruck. You look at a seven like Salvi who just hunts around the breakdown tackling and filching I think that's the role for Wallace and that sort of flanker is better paired with a blindside who is able to roam and cover the field ala Croft or an 8 like Waldrom who is all about the big carries rather than the hard yards.

Quins like the big 8 with the hard yards so I think there's room for a blindside at Quins with Clifford's skill set especially given Quins love of the offload.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sun 09 Aug 2015, 12:00 am

I wonder if Wallace may not have had his career permanently damaged by Robshaw in the same way as Guest's was by Easter (or more precisely by his refusal to move to get game time at a key point in his career). It is possible that Wallace's moment as a 7 has already passed. I for one hope Clifford is allowed to play most of his rugby there, with Wallace staying at 6.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 09 Aug 2015, 11:00 am

Wallace still attacks the breakdown like a 7 and is more involved in the link play than Robshaw (that's not hard). To write him off is premature. I've not really seen enough ball stealing from Clifford to put him in the same category.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Mon 10 Aug 2015, 8:19 pm

Cumbrian wrote:Don't reckon Quins will let Clifford go, he'll be club captain one day.   Still only 22, give him a couple of years and he will be a first choice pick and will have a couple of caps.

That day might be now. Marler said on Twitter that he isn't captain anymore and apparently O'Shea said at a supporters evening that the next captain might be even younger.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Mon 10 Aug 2015, 8:21 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Wallace still attacks the breakdown like a 7 and is more involved in the link play than Robshaw  (that's not hard). To write him off is premature. I've not really seen enough ball stealing from Clifford to put him in the same category.

He steals his share of ball but no he isn't a permanent breakdown limpet like some others. Brilliant all-rounder though.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 14 Aug 2015, 11:34 am

Confirmed we have signed Mouritz Botha ....but on a 3 year deal???!!! What on earth!

At least he can pass on some experience to our young crop of Second Rows coming through.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 15 Aug 2015, 9:23 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Confirmed we have signed Mouritz Botha ....but on a 3 year deal???!!! What on earth!

At least he can pass on some experience to our young crop of Second Rows coming through.

Yeah not sure about the length, he's no Brad Thorn! But decent for the short-term surely? Good work-rate, pretty reliable. Prem's getting more competitive every year, it's good to see.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 15 Aug 2015, 9:30 am

thomh wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:Don't reckon Quins will let Clifford go, he'll be club captain one day.   Still only 22, give him a couple of years and he will be a first choice pick and will have a couple of caps.

That day might be now. Marler said on Twitter that he isn't captain anymore and apparently O'Shea said at a supporters evening that the next captain might be even younger.

I understand the idea of rotating captains to improve leadership, but I think making Marler captain was a poor decision.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 19 Aug 2015, 2:39 pm

Junior Bulumakau (British Army) to Glasgow Warriors. OK

Delighted with this. A trialist who has grabbed his chance and wing cover with real gas and physicality.

I'll say this for Gregor Townsend - he knows a talented Fijian when he sees one.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 24 Aug 2015, 7:26 pm

So after 18 months, 15 starts, 4 yellows and 1 red Sila Puafisi is leaving Glaws for Glasgow. He promised much but sadly didn't deliver and ended up as a penalty machine.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 24 Aug 2015, 8:09 pm

He was never going emerge from the shadow of PDJ this season so decided to move on.

Are we going to see any of Steph Reynolds this season HKC? He has lit up the sevens a couple of times now is he ready for fifteens?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Mon 24 Aug 2015, 8:23 pm

Afoa is genuinely concerned about PDJs arrival!

Reynolds should get the odd game. He has been promoted to the senior squad now, but he'll be 5th choice winger. Nevertheless you can't overlook someone who can so the 100 m in 10.4s! I do feel whilst he has bulked up he is still too lightweight.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 24 Aug 2015, 9:19 pm

If your tackle technique is good and the opposition can't catch you, then you can get away with it. Williams is the obvious one to reference here but Slade is pretty diminutive as is Ford. Rugby is moving away from size across the board and are looking for technique, particularly in the backs.

At his age being fifth choice winger is no bad thing. Given May and the PI option are both internationals he shouldn't be to far away from a game.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 25 Aug 2015, 10:52 am

HongKongCherry wrote:So after 18 months, 15 starts, 4 yellows and 1 red Sila Puafisi is leaving Glaws for Glasgow. He promised much but sadly didn't deliver and ended up as a penalty machine.
We only just found out about this on the soapdodger grapevine, Honkers.

Why didn't it work out for him at Kingsholm? Was he just not up to it or were there chemistry 'issues'?

4 yellows and 1 red is not great, although Townsend has a notoriously low tolerance level for handbags like that.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Tue 25 Aug 2015, 12:21 pm

I didn't work out as sadly I just don't think he's good enough. There is no doubting his strength and under the old scrum laws I think he could have developed into a top TH, however, his technique is shocking. His base position is always too high and I think he mistakenly believes you should bind on the arm! At least 2 of his cards were for petulance and the rest for scrum infringements. You can't deny his commitment or work in the loose, which has drastically improved in the 18 months. But if you want a prop who can scrummage it's not him.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 26 Aug 2015, 6:34 am

HongKongCherry wrote:I didn't work out as sadly I just don't think he's good enough. There is no doubting his strength and under the old scrum laws I think he could have developed into a top TH, however, his technique is shocking. His base position is always too high and I think he mistakenly believes you should bind on the arm! At least 2 of his cards were for petulance and the rest for scrum infringements.  You can't deny his commitment or work in the loose, which has drastically improved in the 18 months.  But if you want a prop who can scrummage it's not him.
Thanks mate. I have no doubt that Townsend will know what he's got and I suspect will iron the indiscipline out.

We already have a tighthead (Mike Cusack) who is like a hundred bags of sand to shift in the scrum but offers little in the loose, so perhaps it's an intentional change of styles. Where we really missed out was letting Brian Mujati sign for Sale instead of us.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next