The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20

+43
LeinsterFan4life
Hazel Sapling
Ozzy3213
chris_501
Maddogflanker
Welshmushroom
Irish Londoner
Cumbrian
maestegmafia
carpet baboon
whocares
Collapse2005
stnick88
bsando
Gooseberry
sensisball
tigertattie
RiscaGame
Sgt_Pooly
bathmad
TightHEAD
lostinwales
No 7&1/2
TheMildlyFranticLlama
yappysnap
Welly
Rugby Fan
Rinsure
bluestonevedder
Bathite
BigGee
formerly known as Sam
mikey_dragon
LondonTiger
propdavid_london
George Carlin
BamBam
Fluxy
WELL-PAST-IT
Margin_Walker
SirBurger
Geordie
king_carlos
47 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20 Empty Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:56 pm

Not a great position for Saints, captain and international level hooker looks likely so they've resorted to signing what is at best squad filler. Presumably Haywood and Fish will carry the bulk of the playing time.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:34 pm

London Irish confirm the signing of Steve Mafi for next season.

Leicester Tigers have a Fijian backrow on trial believed to be London Scottish and Army number 8 Ifereimi Boladau. Presume he's being seen as cover for Denton as we don't know when he will return.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 19/20

Post by king_carlos Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:20 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Leicester Tigers have a Fijian backrow on trial believed to be London Scottish and Army number 8 Ifereimi Boladau. Presume he's being seen as cover for Denton as we don't know when he will return.
Most significant part of that signing would be the first sign of Jan McGinity using his connections with Fijian rugby.

Tigers have been abysmal in their player recruitment for years so McGinity joining was a very important off the pitch move.

I've said it many times before but if Tigers want a strong Championship back row who covers several positions and carries well then they should be fighting to get Ed Milne back into the set-up.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:47 am

king_carlos wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Leicester Tigers have a Fijian backrow on trial believed to be London Scottish and Army number 8 Ifereimi Boladau. Presume he's being seen as cover for Denton as we don't know when he will return.
Most significant part of that signing would be the first sign of Jan McGinity using his connections with Fijian rugby.

Tigers have been abysmal in their player recruitment for years so McGinity joining was a very important off the pitch move.

I've said it many times before but if Tigers want a strong Championship back row who covers several positions and carries well then they should be fighting to get Ed Milne back into the set-up.

I think the recruitment last summer was ok if limited by the demands of a head coach who didn't seem to want the job. The recruitment this summer looks good and was done before McGinty joined. The Fijian on trial has apparently joined Notts for next season so there might be a bit of a loan deal in the offing. I'm not sure how much McGinty will have been involved in that given this isn't a Fijian international he has been playing for the British Army and London Scottish. That said I'm really hoping McGinty can get us some gems across from Fiji, we could do with a little Flying Fijian Flair in the back line.

Ed Milne I'd have back, he must have completed his studies by now and be ready to return home if asked. We do have a glut of young talent coming through at lock and in the backrow though so perhaps this is why we are looking at a short term signing on loan from Notts as opposed to signing someone on a three year deal.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:25 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

I think the recruitment last summer was ok if limited by the demands of a head coach who didn't seem to want the job. The recruitment this summer looks good and was done before McGinty joined. The Fijian on trial has apparently joined Notts for next season so there might be a bit of a loan deal in the offing. I'm not sure how much McGinty will have been involved in that given this isn't a Fijian international he has been playing for the British Army and London Scottish. That said I'm really hoping McGinty can get us some gems across from Fiji, we could do with a little Flying Fijian Flair in the back line.

Ed Milne I'd have back, he must have completed his studies by now and be ready to return home if asked. We do have a glut of young talent coming through at lock and in the backrow though so perhaps this is why we are looking at a short term signing on loan from Notts as opposed to signing someone on a three year deal.

Or a few more Goneva / Rabeni's!!!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:29 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

Or a few more Goneva / Rabeni's!!!
Interestingly McGinity was involved in Rabeni signing for Tigers back when he ran a player management company. What a player Rambo was and above all else a wonderfully fun one to watch play the sport. Great club man off the pitch as well. Such a shame for a person of his character and kindness to be lost so soon.

McGinity has a very good rep amongst the players he represents and works with. Hopefully that can go some way to mending some of the ill feeling from McCaffery, Betham and Pietersen having contracts cancelled mid-term.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:20 pm

The cancelled contracts were endemic of our lack of direction. We didn't know what we wanted in terms of player, style or culture from one season to the next, bouncing between ideas with increasing levels of desperation. We certainly released some players that we should have seen more from, those three aren't the only ones we've lost that we've scratched our heads over.

The last two summers have been better. I just hope that now McGinty can move it on again. Geordie knows what he wants I just hope he has the tools to realise his vision.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:00 pm

Really happy with the Mafi signing for Irish.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:13 am

SirBurger wrote:Really happy with the Mafi signing for Irish.

Suspect he's one of your two marquee signings but worth it. Picked up the nickname Steve Murphy at Tigers due to skill set. Big and mobile at lock or 6, good signing.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:53 am

Mafi's signing really plugs the gaps depth wise in the pack and brings in another good carrying option.

He won't be cheap, but suspect Coleman and Naholo will be on more and designated as the marquee players.

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:20 pm

So Lyon have signed Basteraud on a short term contract before he goes to USA....

And have announed him at Number 8 for their first friendly...

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/bastareaud-will-be-changing-position-at-new-club-lyon/

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:45 pm

Well he's big enough to make an impact ball in hand. He's generally a menace at the breakdown too. His tackle count probably won't be up to it so his flankers will have to be grafters. If Lyon still have Fearns that will be a meaty 6/8 combination and Fearns can tackle. If he's a success I wonder if he'll rethink this USA move?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:15 pm

Roelof Smit and Elton Jantjies have re-signed with the Lions. Both were linked/tenuously rumoured with moves to NH clubs.

Tigers could have done with Smit given Denton is seeming unlikely to return to contact soon.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:36 pm

king_carlos wrote:Roelof Smit and Elton Jantjies have re-signed with the Lions. Both were linked/tenuously rumoured with moves to NH clubs.

Tigers could have done with Smit given Denton is seeming unlikely to return to contact soon.

He would have fit in well with the backrow options Geordie is compiling. We have a plethora of young backrows coming forward, maybe the coaches feel one or two are ready to step in a play a game or two this season. From what I've seen of the development options they don't shy away from the physical stuff and just need to finish their physical development. Reffell is ready to go.

I don't see a problem with an opening day backrow group of Liebenburg, Thompson, Coghlan and Reffell. Can't be worse than the Fitzgerald, Williams, BOC we saw last season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:26 pm

When did Northampton get the Franks brothers?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:36 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:When did Northampton get the Franks brothers?

First one when LI went down. Second one is due to join post RWC. They could do with the help, last season their scrum wasn't the best.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:47 pm

Yeah I just happened to be looking at their squad, that signing stood out as well as the signing of that huge Fijiian/Aussie winger. They could put quite a formidable first XV in the coming season.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:37 pm

Should be a good squad this season and with some junior members more experienced and ready for more game time. The RWC might hit them hard initially though with Reinach and Bigger both key players who will have long summers and have junior understudies.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:25 pm

Luckily Saints have good cover at 10 thanks to the Grayson dynasty, Ethan currently with the England U18, however if James G gets hurt we will be down to the kids unless Price Harry is fit to step in.

9 is also potentially problematic, Mitchell is very competent, but after that we have the unknowns, Henry Taylor,not yet played for Saints and the we have the kids.

I am not sure that Boyd expected Francis and Reinach to go to the RWC. Francis would have been cover for the loss of Biggar.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:05 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Luckily Saints have good cover at 10 thanks to the Grayson dynasty, Ethan currently with the England U18, however if James G gets hurt we will be down to the kids unless Price Harry is fit to step in.

9 is also potentially problematic, Mitchell is very competent, but after that we have the unknowns, Henry Taylor,not yet played for Saints and the  we have the kids.

I am not sure that Boyd expected Francis and Reinach to go to the RWC. Francis would have been cover for the loss of Biggar.

Lot of potential in those 10s bit very little experience. I agree the Francis call up was a shock, not a great 10 though. Grayson Snr is a great understudy and a little more exposure in rotation with Bigger will do him good. If Bigger breaks down due to, to much playing time that's a big load on Grayson's shoulders. Similar for you guys at 9. Will we see much of Prince Harry this season he's been out for a long time?

It's why I'm happy Tigers have brought in McPhillips and Reid (admittedly more of a 12), bit of experience to help cover for Ford so we can ease in Hardwick and Costelow.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:35 pm

Anybody got any spare 9s, Mitchell is out for at least 6 weeks and with Cobus away at the RWC we are down to bare bones. Henry Taylor who hasn't been a hit anywhere, although it would be hard at Sarries and then Connor Tupai who has yet to play a proper senior game, one against the army so far.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:23 pm

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Anybody got any spare 9s, Mitchell is out for at least 6 weeks and with Cobus away at the RWC we are down to bare bones. Henry Taylor who hasn't been a hit anywhere, although it would be hard at Sarries and then Connor Tupai who has yet to play a proper senior game, one against the army so far.

We seem to have a production line of age grade 9s at the minute but keep yours hands off. Harrison is likely to leave this season (rumours of mid year move to Australia) and Ben Youngs will at some point take the opportunity to lad out his pension significantly elsewhere (probably after the next Lions tour).

In other news Yorkshire Carnegie have signed two props, Flynn from Sale and a Tongan international from Bristol as well as Tom Varndell. This will no doubt fan the flames of discontent with former players still being left to pay old medical bills the club have decided they can't afford.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:27 pm

I know the Varndell announcement created a lot of negative noise, though lower than the Ford one it seemed.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:55 pm

LondonTiger wrote:I know the Varndell announcement created a lot of negative noise, though lower than the Ford one it seemed.

I guess Ford being the first one really brought the shock factor. YC were going to spend money building back up despite professing that they were skint and couldn't afford to pay former players or their medical costs. I hope Joe and Tom have requested their salaries up front...

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:44 am

Ben Te'o has signed for Toulon

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:20 am

James Haskell has signed for MMA promotion Bellator

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/mma/breaking-former-england-rugby-star-18982796

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:27 am

Fluxy wrote:Ben Te'o has signed for Toulon

And ends his international aspirations at the same time.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:19 pm

Reading a story about the merry go round that is Aussie coaching, with suggestions that Dave Rennie will replace Chieka with Wallabies and Rob Penney taking charge at Waratahs.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:56 am

LondonTiger wrote:Reading a story about the merry go round that is Aussie coaching, with suggestions that Dave Rennie will replace Chieka with Wallabies and Rob Penney taking charge at Waratahs.

Kiwi heavy recruitment. Whilst I didn't think Chieka would remain I thought they'd want an Aussie in charge. I'd assumed they'd at least try for David Wessels first.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:19 am

The article was bemoaning the lack of Aussie talent - pointing out that Penney would be replacing Darryl Gibson if he gets the job and the presence of Brad Thorn at the Reds (though there is an argument that he is as much an Aussie as a Kiwi).

Apparently the stipulation for the Aussie Head Coach role is that the new man must have been the boss of a SR franchise while having further top level experience - preferably having won trophies. Scott Wisemantel was name checked, though he does not meet the experience criteria. Matt O'Connor does Very Happy Run

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:22 pm

Hahahaha if the Wallabies fans thought they weren't playing positive enough rugby before now Matt O'Connor will be a reality check.

I suppose Wessels has been too Aussie based in his coaching. His turn arounds of the Western Force and then the Rebels is quite remarkable. I quite fancied him as DOR at Tigers with Geordie as head coach but we aren't keen on spending the cash on the coaching set up.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:03 pm

James Mitchell signed from Connacht on a short term deal to cover for his younger brother during the RWC
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:57 pm

Max Lahiff joins Bristol on a one year deal.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:34 pm

Juandre Kruger and Ryan Lamb to Scarlets on short-term deals, to provide cover up to November I think.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:15 pm

A few years ago Kruger was a sought after lock. Could be a good signing if there's still running in his legs. Lamb is one of the most frustrating players you will ever see, so much talent and so many poor decisions made.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:47 pm

The last time I seen Kruger play he was in Racing Metro colours, he was probably the strongest guy on the pitch. Probably a bit too old now.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:00 pm

He's 34 be 35 by end of the season so might have one more season in him. Maybe two as set piece was his strength, particularly the lineout.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:04 am

In a parallel universe Ryan Lamb and Shane Geraghty have 100 caps between them. In this universe it is an 'interesting' announcement by Scarlets.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:00 pm

The Scottish national team have apparently transferred their testicles to parts unknown.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:23 pm

Kruger must still be good, his linking up with Bulls after this contract. Bulls are losing 3 lock forwards, all of them internationals.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:17 pm

Scarlets have signed another lock, Tevita Ratuva from Fiji. Kruger is temporary but even with him gone they still have a lot of locks who aren't WQ;
Steve Cummins (Aus)
Sam Lousi (Tonga)
Ed Kennedy lock/flanker (Aus).

WQ locks around Scarlets;
Jake Ball
Lewis Rawlins
Josh Helps

I thought there was another kiwi lock/flanker they had signed a few months back, but I can't find any info on him and don't remember his name. Maybe it fell through. Either way it seems like Scarlets are over their limit on overseas players, if ever there was one? No excuses for them not performing now, and they looked pretty gash in the pre-season game at Rodney Parade.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:15 pm

McPhillips goes out on loan to Doncaster Knights from Tigers until the end of the season. Tigers backing age grade playmakers to back up Reid in Ford's absence and McPhillips is now only likely to be recalled in the event of an injury crisis.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:16 pm

Ben Glynn from Quins to Ospreys, I think it's a loan deal. It's pretty poor that they didn't think to strengthen lock before the season started given that they would likely be without 2-3, preferring to play average blindsides there.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:17 pm

I thought Glynn had gone to a French side!

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:16 am

Rhys Webb heading west according to ruck.co.uk with family issues quoted. 

His favoured destination would be a Welsh region, but suggestions that none of them have the money available. Exeter have made an offer that would bring him closer to home, but still out of international consideration.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:16 am

I'd be surprised if Exeter were offering much, by their own admission they were close to the salary cap last season and had to let go a couple of players they would have liked to keep. If White is off (I forget when his agreement to return to Aus is) then they might have earmarked some funds for a replacement. Webb would be an upgrade on White in an area the Chiefs have been little more than above average for a while.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:34 am

Didn't White just leave for one year so he could be world cup eligible?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:43 am

Just checked. He's agreed to leave at the end of 2020 and join an Aussie franchise. He's been ok at Chiefs but not really moved them on. Some real talent at half back could push Chiefs on to that next level.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:52 am

England rumoured to lose Scott Wisemantel to Australia (alongside Dave Rennie), Neil Hatley back to Bath and noise about Borthwick to Leicester growing again.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:25 am

Borthwick to Tigers to be announced post RWC and to join post 6N so the rumours say.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next