The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

+11
rob-glos
milkyboy
catchweight
Strongback
TRUSSMAN66
Hammersmith harrier
Herman Jaeger
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
ShahenshahG
Coxy001
hampo17
15 posters

Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by hampo17 Wed Apr 15 2015, 19:30

A fight that will disappoint most I'm sure, and will also probably make Brook and Hearn think they won the mind games, but still a better opponent than Frankie Gavin.

http://www.v2boxing.co.uk/#!Khan-To-Face-Algieri-On-May-29th-In-New-York/c1xmj/552eadbd0cf266495e24d173

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Posts : 9108
Join date : 2011-02-24
Age : 36

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by Coxy001 Wed Apr 15 2015, 19:42

In Trussywussy's words. 'Algieri is rubbish'

Another feather pillow punching non starter. Turned down Bradley. Hope FMJ and Manny retire leaving him with no option to face Brook.. At which point he gets spanked sideways.

Awful opponent choice. Just makes him look a dodging buffoon.

Not even Truss can disagree after making his statement when he fought Manny. Saying that he'll probably change his mind as did 'I never had sexual relations' Clinton did.

Coxy001

Posts : 1816
Join date : 2014-11-10

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by ShahenshahG Wed Apr 15 2015, 19:46

Disappointed and probably wont bother watching. Even Broner was a better match up

ShahenshahG

Posts : 15725
Join date : 2011-02-11
Age : 38
Location : The happiest man a morning ever sees

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed Apr 15 2015, 19:56

Not much to say, only thing he can gain is stopping him as pacquiao didnt but at the end of the day its not a huge statement even if he does stop him

No power, no speed, decent movement, decent jab but khan isnt getting outboxed

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Posts : 3136
Join date : 2011-02-18

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed Apr 15 2015, 19:57

Fine, Khan is making a decent living in the lower half of the welterweight division against non punchers. Good luck to him.

But please don't tell me this gets him a shot at MayPac.
Those I'd put ahead of Khan as follows:

Thurman (welterweight)
Brook      (welterweight)
Porter     (welterweight)
Garcia     (light welterweight)
Matthysse (light welterweight)

Any others?

If Khan wants a shot at MayPac, do something for them in return, eliminate one of their threats. You know, like the way boxing has always worked.

Herman Jaeger

Posts : 3520
Join date : 2011-11-10

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Apr 15 2015, 20:10

Is Algieri a better opponent than Gavin in the context of what the fights mean?

No he isn't, for Khan it is his first fight since Alexander and one of only two he will have this year, there is no reason why he needed a five month gap for this level of opponent. On the other hand Brook is fighting Gavin as a way of keeping busy having only just returned from a career threatening injury, it will be the second of potentially four fights he'll be having this year.

Much of it depends on who they fight next of course, if Brook fights Rios or Marquez in the summer as planned then I see no reason why he shouldn't have an easy domestic fight in the mean time. Khan however is just waiting around for Mayweather, not staying particularly active and fighting an opponent to make him look good.

The two situations are not similar in the slightest.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Apr 15 2015, 20:22

It's a crap fight....Unfortunately predictable because Khan has alot of prospective big paydays..

I was hoping for Broner...Maybe too good an opponent to fight without a prize at the end..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40506
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by Strongback Wed Apr 15 2015, 20:44

Algieri is a bigger fight in America than Brook. Nobody knows who Brook is in the States.

Khan is keeping himself in the US shop window.

Strongback

Posts : 6529
Join date : 2011-07-01
Location : Matchroom Sports Head Office

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Apr 15 2015, 20:50

Strongback wrote:Algieri is a bigger fight in America than Brook.  Nobody knows who Brook is in the States.

Khan is keeping himself in the US shop window.

He's just the guy who went over there and beat Shawn Porter but I suppose Algieri is a bigger name than Porter too.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by catchweight Wed Apr 15 2015, 20:51

Treading water against a hand picked fighter. Nothing new.

catchweight

Posts : 4326
Join date : 2013-09-18

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by milkyboy Wed Apr 15 2015, 22:05

catchweight wrote:Treading water against a hand picked fighter. Nothing new.

For Khan or brook

Obviously the other prospective fights that made this on off and on again were equally unappealing. Disappointing but not surprising. There you go.

milkyboy

Posts : 7761
Join date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by catchweight Wed Apr 15 2015, 22:15

Both. Brook is not "keeping busy". Hes been thrown into his latest mismatch so Matchroom can fire up their next ppv event.

Khan is still doing what Al Haymon tells him to do like a good boy.

catchweight

Posts : 4326
Join date : 2013-09-18

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by rob-glos Wed Apr 15 2015, 22:22

On the plus side, it's on Friday 29th which means it will almost certainly end up on Boxnation rather than being bundled into the May 30th PPV.

rob-glos

Posts : 613
Join date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed Apr 15 2015, 22:22

Brook and Khan are as bad as each other these days they both need to shut up stop fighting crap and fight each other

Brooks record apart from Porter is absolutely pathetic
Khans record is a tad better but has some losses against Garcia and Peterson......

Nothing to shout home about but Algieri is 1000 times better than Gavin...on every single level.

I couldn't care if Mayweather fought Gavin, it would still be an utter joke fight. The guy is a useless fighter who is know for losing to Bundu at EURO level which in turn promotes him to a mandatory shot at an undefeated world champion in form who will just rip him up to shreds and probably retire him.

Then brook vs Khan....and then the winner can go on to finally fight someone with a pulse in the top 10

mobilemaster8

Posts : 4302
Join date : 2012-05-10
Age : 37
Location : Stoke on Trent

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Apr 15 2015, 22:28

Would that be the same Algieri who doesn't hold a single world ranking at Welterweight MM8?

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by Coxy001 Wed Apr 15 2015, 22:29

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
Strongback wrote:Algieri is a bigger fight in America than Brook.  Nobody knows who Brook is in the States.

Khan is keeping himself in the US shop window.

He's just the guy who went over there and beat Shawn Porter but I suppose Algieri is a bigger name than Porter too.

Maliganggi is bigger than Brook also, still doesn't make it any better.

HH, agree with you. PM for you as well

Coxy001

Posts : 1816
Join date : 2014-11-10

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Apr 15 2015, 23:31

I think Brook-Gavin and Khan-chump are as bad as each other..

Picking Gavin has cost Brook any moral high ground..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40506
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu Apr 16 2015, 06:10

I'm willing to give brook some slack as he will fight 4 times this year and it looks like rios after dealing with gavin which isnt so bad. As amir only fights twice a year he has less opportunity to make up for this and is wasting time

wheelchair1991

Posts : 2129
Join date : 2011-07-03
Age : 32
Location : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu Apr 16 2015, 08:31

Defiantly not disagreeing hammer on this one. But Algeri is better than Gavin but both Khan and Brook should be fighting better fighters currently.i

I hold Alexander above Algieri so it's a step back in my eyes.

Plus the rankings these days are irrelevant. We both know that if Pacquiao jumped up to Middle Weight he would somehow get a shot at GGG or something stupid just because they can do that.

These days the rankings mean nothing. Look at Jo Jo Dan.

mobilemaster8

Posts : 4302
Join date : 2012-05-10
Age : 37
Location : Stoke on Trent

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by Coxy001 Thu Apr 16 2015, 08:56

mobilemaster8 wrote:Defiantly not disagreeing hammer on this one. But Algeri is better than Gavin but both Khan and Brook should be fighting better fighters currently.i

I hold Alexander above Algieri so it's a step back in my eyes.

Plus the rankings these days are irrelevant. We both know that if Pacquiao jumped up to Middle Weight he would somehow get a shot at GGG or something stupid just because they can do that.

These days the rankings mean nothing. Look at Jo Jo Dan.

It's all a bit contextual what you've stated above MM8. Brook I can give a certain amount of slack to because he's going to (all in all likelihood) fight 4 times to Khan's 2 (max) this year, that and he's coming off being stabbed.

Algieri is a poor, poor choice. He has the one notable win over Prov, who we'll soon find out is anything more than a crude banger who'll give us some fun nights against lesser oppo like Gatti did. It really is a very bit of poor matchmaking from Team Khan.

It would tickle me a bit if Brook beats up Gavin (which he should do) and then has a FOTY contender against Rios which suddenly elevates him to superstardom in America and FMJ chooses him as his last fight instead of Khan. The way Amir isn't exactly stepping up to the plate (Rios would be a good call for him, but he's stylistically wrong for Khan as he piles forwards and has a good chin) and seemingly being set on a September fight with either Manny or FMJ could well get him in trouble i.e. he doesn't get those fights. He's already been passed over for Maidana, I can see a scenario where someone else steps up and jumps the queue ahead of him.

Coxy001

Posts : 1816
Join date : 2014-11-10

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by KC Fri Apr 17 2015, 05:24

"Nothing to shout home about but Algieri is 1000 times better than Gavin...on every single level."

No he's not, ever.

KC

Posts : 160
Join date : 2011-03-06

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 17 2015, 11:17

KC wrote:"Nothing to shout home about but Algieri is 1000 times better than Gavin...on every single level."

No he's not, ever.

Both are very limited.................Algieri's management team did a great job of getting a gig with the worst champion since Carlos Maussa.

Gavin's team have done a good job getting him a gig with Brook..............He'll get battered but at least will raise his profile...

Nothing in Algieri's and Gavin's skillset is as good as their opponents......

If anyone can find a way of these guys winning I'd love to read it !!


TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40506
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri Apr 17 2015, 11:43

Yea neither are particularly good, but Algieri isnt 1000 times better than Gavin

Fact is both are awful defences but Brook has already fought once this year and khan hasnt, Brook seems like hes got the Rios fight lined up after this already whereas khan will be waiting on Floyd after ramadam and finally Brook was stabbed in the leg with a machete last year

Khan is a very very talented fighter but I just hate his management, he has cherry picked his way to Floyd with non punchers and fighters that'll make him look good and its just annoying to see as he is normally is highly entertaining fights and likes a challenge

Brook has had poor management throughout his career and finally seems to be on track, Thurman, Rios and Marquez keep mentioning him so he's obviously building somewhat of a reputation and will need that for future bargaining power in big fights

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Posts : 3136
Join date : 2011-02-18

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri Apr 17 2015, 11:47

A lot of the Mexican and South American boxers have been mentioning the fight on Twitter, think it's a done deal myself WHU and will be the perfect fight to really test out that leg and any stamina issues that go with it.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri Apr 17 2015, 11:55

Hammersmith harrier wrote:A lot of the Mexican and South American boxers have been mentioning the fight on Twitter, think it's a done deal myself WHU and will be the perfect fight to really test out that leg and any stamina issues that go with it.

Guessing you mean Rios? Think it's a decent fight, Rios can absorb punishment like no one in boxing atm and is pretty relentless, will definitely have his moments (however few) against Brook and will be interesting to see how he handles the heat. Decent name in america and would be a statement if he can stop him as Pacquiao couldn't even wobble him nor could a big puncher in Chaves

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Posts : 3136
Join date : 2011-02-18

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri Apr 17 2015, 12:02

I always told you WHU, that Rios chin won't be cracking any time soon, he also hits hard enough at 147lbs to keep Brook honest without ever really troubling him. I have a feeling that despite Brook is going to have to go down the Top Rank route to get fights and a decent deal.

Mayweather, Pacquiao and Khan are all no's for August; Thurman, Guerrero and Porter are with PBC which leaves Bradley (soon to be mandatory), Marquez, Maidana and Rios. For a stacked division it's all over the place now.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri Apr 17 2015, 12:17

Yea you may be right, but there's always a time when ya chin goes and can see Rios being flattened in the next 2 years. The amount of punches he's taken in the past is ridiculous but he still seems fresh. Pacquiao, Alvarado 1&2, Chaves, Acosta, Antillon and even fights like Abril, Peterson and Murray he was connected on a lot, but only Acosta has ever had him hurt.

Brook is too accurate for Rios but yea he could make it a rough fight

You may be right but Bradley, Maidana, Rios, JMM plus fighter slike Matthysse, Garcia, Porvodnikov etc is 3 years worth of fights given how regularly fighters fight these days not to mention slightly lesser names like Lopez, Berto, Alexander, Broner, Soto, Gomez

Plenty of options at 147 and there always will with many fighters still coming through, one boxer I like in particular is Errol Spence Jr, seems a real prospect

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Posts : 3136
Join date : 2011-02-18

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri Apr 17 2015, 12:23

Rios, Bradley, Khan and one more is the plan leading up to next Summer I would have thought, Matchroom and Brook himself will realise he can stay fairly active against the Lopez's of the world without getting too much heat.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by AdamT Fri Apr 17 2015, 12:27

Only thing that gets my goat with Khan is, why is Kell any less deserving of fightin the mighty Khan with mutiple losses, than Khan is of fightig boxings elite, Mayweathe and Manny.

Reeks of double standards.


AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 17 2015, 12:32

Can't say I want to watch Brook vs Rios either........Lost every round to Manny..

Pointless waste of time..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40506
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by AdamT Fri Apr 17 2015, 12:37

Khan is treadin water.

Always backed the kid but how he has the nerve to claim boxings p4p best is ducking him and other challenges but he is clearly doing the same.

Khan is a good boxer with great speed and he woud definitely give an old Floyd and Manny serious problems at this time of their career.

Pity he wouldn't rematch Maidana. I would pick Maidana to stop him at some point.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 17 2015, 12:40

AdamT wrote:Khan is treadin water.

Always backed the kid but how he has the nerve to claim boxings p4p best is ducking him and other challenges but he is clearly doing the same.

Khan is a good boxer with great speed and he woud definitely give an old Floyd and Manny serious problems at this time of their career.

Pity he wouldn't rematch Maidana. I would pick Maidana to stop him at some point.

I'd pick khan to win............Think Khan has improved since the first Maidana fight........

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40506
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri Apr 17 2015, 12:42

AdamT wrote:Khan is treadin water.

Always backed the kid but how he has the nerve to claim boxings p4p best is ducking him and other challenges but he is clearly doing the same.

Khan is a good boxer with great speed and he woud definitely give an old Floyd and Manny serious problems at this time of their career.

Pity he wouldn't rematch Maidana. I would pick Maidana to stop him at some point.

Well its awkward that Maidana has developed and Khan hasn't. Khan basically fights exactly the same way as he did then. We say he's more defensive but he was always defensive, up untill he was clocked so I believe if he gets clocked again we woill see the same old khan. Maidana on the other hand seems to have improved his boxing leaps under garcia, has a very good stiff jab when he throws it and sets up his power shots, can see him closing the distance much better than the first khan fight and yes I'd expect him to clock and clean out khan at some point, although I still don't feel maidana is as good physically at 147 as he was 140. Put this version of maidana in his body at 140 and you probably have someone who is a really really dangerous opponent for anyone

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Posts : 3136
Join date : 2011-02-18

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by AdamT Fri Apr 17 2015, 12:43

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
AdamT wrote:Khan is treadin water.

Always backed the kid but how he has the nerve to claim boxings p4p best is ducking him and other challenges but he is clearly doing the same.

Khan is a good boxer with great speed and he woud definitely give an old Floyd and Manny serious problems at this time of their career.

Pity he wouldn't rematch Maidana. I would pick Maidana to stop him at some point.

I'd pick khan to win............Think Khan has improved since the first Maidana fight........

If he uses his head he wins a decision. Just have a feeling Maidana would foula nd frustrate Khan to make him fight his type of fight. Also think Maidana has also improved since. Would love to see that rematch. First fight was fantastic.

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 17 2015, 12:43

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:
AdamT wrote:Khan is treadin water.

Always backed the kid but how he has the nerve to claim boxings p4p best is ducking him and other challenges but he is clearly doing the same.

Khan is a good boxer with great speed and he woud definitely give an old Floyd and Manny serious problems at this time of their career.

Pity he wouldn't rematch Maidana. I would pick Maidana to stop him at some point.

Well its awkward that Maidana has developed and Khan hasn't. Khan basically fights exactly the same way as he did then. We say he's more defensive but he was always defensive, up untill he was clocked so I believe if he gets clocked again we woill see the same old khan. Maidana on the other hand seems to have improved his boxing leaps under garcia, has a very good stiff jab when he throws it and sets up his power shots, can see him closing the distance much better than the first khan fight and yes I'd expect him to clock and clean out khan at some point, although I still don't feel maidana is as good physically at 147 as he was 140. Put this version of maidana in his body at 140 and you probably have someone who is a really really dangerous opponent for anyone

Seeing as Khan has outboxed everyone he's fought why does he have to change ???

He was more safety first against Alexander and that's a problem for Maidana and a plus for Khan..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40506
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri Apr 17 2015, 12:46

Khan pumps the jab out, goes to the body early, gets Maidana on the back foot and the improved boxing would go out the window as he can't fight going backwards.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri Apr 17 2015, 12:49

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:
AdamT wrote:Khan is treadin water.

Always backed the kid but how he has the nerve to claim boxings p4p best is ducking him and other challenges but he is clearly doing the same.

Khan is a good boxer with great speed and he woud definitely give an old Floyd and Manny serious problems at this time of their career.

Pity he wouldn't rematch Maidana. I would pick Maidana to stop him at some point.

Well its awkward that Maidana has developed and Khan hasn't. Khan basically fights exactly the same way as he did then. We say he's more defensive but he was always defensive, up untill he was clocked so I believe if he gets clocked again we woill see the same old khan. Maidana on the other hand seems to have improved his boxing leaps under garcia, has a very good stiff jab when he throws it and sets up his power shots, can see him closing the distance much better than the first khan fight and yes I'd expect him to clock and clean out khan at some point, although I still don't feel maidana is as good physically at 147 as he was 140. Put this version of maidana in his body at 140 and you probably have someone who is a really really dangerous opponent for anyone

Seeing as Khan has outboxed everyone he's fought why does he have to change ???

He was more safety first against Alexander and that's a problem for Maidana and a plus for Khan..

Then how has he improved. Never said he needs to change but he hasn't improved, maidana has and the first fight almost went to maidana when he closed the distance

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Posts : 3136
Join date : 2011-02-18

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri Apr 17 2015, 12:51

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Khan pumps the jab out, goes to the body early, gets Maidana on the back foot and the improved boxing would go out the window as he can't fight going backwards.

He couldn't push maidana back in the first fight, don't think khan hits particularly harder then he did at LWW and don't think he'll hang around enough to get to maidanas body

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Posts : 3136
Join date : 2011-02-18

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 17 2015, 12:51

He's improved because his trainer seems to be cutting out a few risks... that give suckers like Maidana, Petersen and Garcia a break..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40506
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by milkyboy Fri Apr 17 2015, 12:52

Yeh, can't say I agree that khan was always defensive... It's generally his career long tendency to throw combinations that has left him in the hitting zone and open to counters. They've clearly been working on one-two' and out of range.

I appreciate that the consensus is maidana is much improved. Looks fleshy to me at welter, and while he may have acquired a jab, as truss says, he isn't outboxing khan so I'm not sure it matters against him. He could beat khan by roughing him up... Ie fighting like he did first time, ignoring the rounds going against him and really going for him when khan slows down a bit.

Not a fight likely to happen anyway

milkyboy

Posts : 7761
Join date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri Apr 17 2015, 12:54

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Khan pumps the jab out, goes to the body early, gets Maidana on the back foot and the improved boxing would go out the window as he can't fight going backwards.

He couldn't push maidana back in the first fight, don't think khan hits particularly harder then he did at LWW and don't think he'll hang around enough to get to maidanas body

He had Maidana on the back foot for the majority of that fight hence why it was reasonably comfortable until late on, Broner and Mayweather both box going backwards inviting him onto them, Khan fights going forward which changes the dynamic straight away.

Hammersmith harrier

Posts : 12060
Join date : 2013-09-26

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri Apr 17 2015, 13:01

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Khan pumps the jab out, goes to the body early, gets Maidana on the back foot and the improved boxing would go out the window as he can't fight going backwards.

He couldn't push maidana back in the first fight, don't think khan hits particularly harder then he did at LWW and don't think he'll hang around enough to get to maidanas body

He had Maidana on the back foot for the majority of that fight hence why it was reasonably comfortable until late on, Broner and Mayweather both box going backwards inviting him onto them, Khan fights going forward which changes the dynamic straight away.

He may have been on the bac kfoot in terms he was losing but maidana was always the one moving forward and was stalking

Either way it's not going to matter because Khan won't be in the ring with a puncher anytime soon. I for one would love to see a rematch and I'll be picking maidana by stoppage

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Posts : 3136
Join date : 2011-02-18

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by AdamT Fri Apr 17 2015, 13:02

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Khan pumps the jab out, goes to the body early, gets Maidana on the back foot and the improved boxing would go out the window as he can't fight going backwards.

He couldn't push maidana back in the first fight, don't think khan hits particularly harder then he did at LWW and don't think he'll hang around enough to get to maidanas body

He had Maidana on the back foot for the majority of that fight hence why it was reasonably comfortable until late on, Broner and Mayweather both box going backwards inviting him onto them, Khan fights going forward which changes the dynamic straight away.

He may have been on the bac kfoot in terms he was losing but maidana was always the one moving forward and was stalking

Either way it's not going to matter because Khan won't be in the ring with a puncher anytime soon. I for one would love to see a rematch and I'll be picking maidana by stoppage

I agree

AdamT

Posts : 6651
Join date : 2014-03-27

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 17 2015, 16:00

Nobody puts there prospects in with punchers...........

Look at Hearn's cards and probably Warren's..........The opponent always has a 25% ko record.............

If you are going to beat top boxers...........You've either got to a be a good boxer yourself or carry a dig..

Gavin and Algy are neither..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40506
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by Coxy001 Fri Apr 17 2015, 16:04

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Nobody puts there prospects in with punchers...........

Look at Hearn's cards and probably Warren's..........The opponent always has a 25% ko record.............

If you are going to beat top boxers...........You've either got to a be a good boxer yourself or carry a dig..

Gavin and Algy are neither..

Thing is Truss, do you seem any major harm in putting them in with a puncher (obviously aside from the fact they could get hurt)? I mean if they get sparked they could always claim it was just a lucky punch and resume at a level or two below where they were. If they get a 12 round boxing lesson of a nobody then surely that would set them back even further?

Simple solution would be to have a decent ranking system that rewards fighting regularly and beating those at your level/just below/above your level in promotions up the ladder. Sigh, perfect world and all that eh.

Coxy001

Posts : 1816
Join date : 2014-11-10

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 17 2015, 16:10

Coxy001 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Nobody puts there prospects in with punchers...........

Look at Hearn's cards and probably Warren's..........The opponent always has a 25% ko record.............

If you are going to beat top boxers...........You've either got to a be a good boxer yourself or carry a dig..

Gavin and Algy are neither..

Thing is Truss, do you seem any major harm in putting them in with a puncher (obviously aside from the fact they could get hurt)? I mean if they get sparked they could always claim it was just a lucky punch and resume at a level or two below where they were. If they get a 12 round boxing lesson of a nobody then surely that would set them back even further?

Simple solution would be to have a decent ranking system that rewards fighting regularly and beating those at your level/just below/above your level in promotions up the ladder. Sigh, perfect world and all that eh.

You can get away with avoiding the best...Picking up an alphabet and doing a Quigg which is the problem......

Perhaps If there was one or two titles there would be more of an emphasis for a boxer to learn his trade as more good boxers would enter the ratings and guys like Jo Jo Dan would be on a building site........Boxers don't learn their trade these days.....

Cleverley being a perfect example....

You can make money now without being that good..

Alphabets have killed the sport......Whilst i'd like to see the best fight the best...........I can understand in a career as hard as Boxing fighters wanting to earn good money for lesser risks..

Unfortunately it's one of the reasons Boxing is dying on it's backside..

TRUSSMAN66

Posts : 40506
Join date : 2011-02-02

Back to top Go down

Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York Empty Re: Khan To Face Algieri On May 29th In New York

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum