The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forgotten Classics

+4
88Chris05
Rowley
Rodney
Soldier_Of_Fortune
8 posters

Go down

Forgotten Classics Empty Forgotten Classics

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:10 am

Trawling through the forums and often get reminded of fights that have long been forgotten.

I came across this little beauty and thought I'd share it with you incase you haven't seen it or brings back some memories. The fight is...

Junior Jones v Richard Evatt

Richard Evatt, 1993 ABA Bantamweight champion who was known to have been a bit of a banger, never quite hit the heights when he turned pro. Soon after being defeated by unheralded Smith Odoom in Poland, he was offered the opportunity of a lifetime against Junior Jones on the Naseem v Ingle undercard. Junior Jones was coming off a win against Tom 'Boom Boom' Johnson but defeats prior to both Morales and McKinney (but prior to those defeats he beat Barrera twice) was still expected to deal with Evatt with ease.

Enjoy

Last edited by Soldier_Of_Fortune on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Forgotten Classics Empty Re: Forgotten Classics

Post by Rodney Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:57 pm

Cheers Soldier certainly does, remember this fight not for just being exciting but wasn't there an awful fire alarm going on for a part of the fight ? Involved in some great matchups Junior Jones to be fair.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:14 pm

Thanks Rodders  Smile

At least someone has seen it/watched it Laugh

Yer it was a great fight, really thought Richard was going to pull it off at a few points!

Richard died in 2012 in suspicious circumstances, a man was arrested in connection to his murder, bailed but never charged. He fell on hard times after a brain scan picked up an irregularity that prevented him from continuing his career and he went off the rails. He had a known drink and drug addiction problems and was homeless at the time of his death. He was found dead at the hostel he was staying in.

RIP

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:16 pm

I was at this fight, terrific stuff. The main event was alright as well. Ingle was a tough old boy. Evatt was regularly a good watch, a terrific dig and a less than concrete chin always makes for good viewing.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:29 pm

Must have been good seeing Tommy Hearns live Rowley Smile

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:30 pm

Looks good on the CV mate, but to be honest the fight was terrible, like seeing a fat Elvis in 76!

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:32 pm

Rowley wrote:Looks good on the CV mate, but to be honest the fight was terrible, like seeing a fat Elvis in 76!

LaughLaugh

Aye but its always nice to see a legend in the flesh thumbsup

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:41 pm

Forgot about Hearns being on the card certainly one to tick off as mentioned Jeff, Hamed v Ingle was a cracking fight , Hamed was brilliant for the first six and then Ingle put it right on him, underrated fight in many ways.

Cheers, Rodders.
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:54 pm

Thanks for putting this up, SOF.

I remember this was posted on here after Richard's death. I'd never seen it before but had a look then and as you and others have said, cracking fight.

There was a spate of British fighters not really considered to even be amongst the best operators on these shores who were given surprise shots at titles / a big global name around that time; Kevin Leushing against Trinidad, Paul Lloyd against Barrera, Howard Clarke against Vargas etc. Given how badly those guys were outclassed (although in fairness Leushing did put Trinidad on the floor early on) you'd have thought that Evatt's effort here would be remembered a bit more than it was / is.

Can't add anything else as Evatt's career is one that I'm not really familiar with outside of this fight, but it was a beauty. Can't argue with what's been said about Jones, either. He did the same thing in that first fight with Barrera, turning it on its head with one massive punch against the run of play. The McKinney fight was great, too - another one that took place on a Naz undercard, oddly enough.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:08 pm

Could add Adrian Stone against Mosley to that list Chris, now he did get a whooping.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:17 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Thanks for putting this up, SOF.

I remember this was posted on here after Richard's death. I'd never seen it before but had a look then and as you and others have said, cracking fight.

There was a spate of British fighters not really considered to even be amongst the best operators on these shores who were given surprise shots at titles / a big global name around that time; Kevin Leushing against Trinidad, Paul Lloyd against Barrera, Howard Clarke against Vargas etc. Given how badly those guys were outclassed (although in fairness Leushing did put Trinidad on the floor early on) you'd have thought that Evatt's effort here would be remembered a bit more than it was / is.

Can't add anything else as Evatt's career is one that I'm not really familiar with outside of this fight, but it was a beauty. Can't argue with what's been said about Jones, either. He did the same thing in that first fight with Barrera, turning it on its head with one massive punch against the run of play. The McKinney fight was great, too - another one that took place on a Naz undercard, oddly enough.

Now that was a shellacking, painful to watch. Add Any Holligan getting thrown into the Mexican pit with Chavez.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:24 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Thanks for putting this up, SOF.

No probs, love litlle gem fights like this. I remember watching this with dad. He was going ape rooting for Evatt (every one loves an underdog) but it just wasnt meant to be.

And when I spotted this on another forum, it was the only other time I'd seen it since then and brought back alot of fond memories.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:30 pm

Didn't Evatt get his jaw broken in a fight by some Aussie fight Mick something or other? Guy smashed into him with his noggin. Reminded me of Miranda vs Abraham

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:16 am

Carrying on SOF topic can anyone remember this British classic ?

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:25 am

I haven't seen much of Lueshing at all apart from the Trinidad fight I mentioned earlier, Rodders, so definitely one for me to watch there. Thanks for posting.

What the hell, too good (and too often forgotten) a fight for it not to be posted here. Spencer Fearon against David Walker. Another British classic worth fifteen minutes of any boxing fan's time.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:36 am

88Chris05 wrote:I haven't seen much of Lueshing at all apart from the Trinidad fight I mentioned earlier, Rodders, so definitely one for me to watch there. Thanks for posting.

What the hell, too good (and too often forgotten) a fight for it not to be posted here. Spencer Fearon against David Walker. Another British classic worth fifteen minutes of any boxing fan's time.

What I liked about Lueshing was when he got his chance he didn't die wondering.............Huge underdog that went for it !!

Colorful character and exciting too..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:32 am

Cheers Chris, haven't seen that in a while.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:36 am

If we're doing domestic fights that slip under the radar a bit i give you

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:47 am

The cornermen for that fight weren't bad Chris, Fearon should have been so much more than he was but like all Booth fighters had stamina issues.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:20 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Trawling through the forums and often get reminded of fights that have long been forgotten.

I came across this little beauty and thought I'd share it with you incase you haven't seen it or brings back some memories. The fight is...

Richard Evatt, 1993 ABA Bantamweight champion who was known to have been a bit of a banger, never quite hit the heights when he turned pro. Soon after being defeated by unheralded Smith Odoom in Poland, he was offered the opportunity of a lifetime against Junior Jones on the Naseem v Ingle undercard. Junior Jones was coming off a win against Tom 'Boom Boom' Johnson but defeats prior to both Morales and McKinney (but prior to those defeats he beat Barrera twice) was still expected to deal with Evatt with ease.

Enjoy

Wow thanks for posting this. I'd never seen it and didn't know the result, so was watching it close to as if it were live. I was childishly willing Evatt on as if it wasn't decades ago. Up and down, fiery action, cracking KO to end it when it was really needed. Damn.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:22 am

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:37 am

John Bloody Wayne wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Trawling through the forums and often get reminded of fights that have long been forgotten.

Enjoy

Wow thanks for posting this. I'd never seen it and didn't know the result, so was watching it close to as if it were live. I was childishly willing Evatt on as if it wasn't decades ago. Up and down, fiery action, cracking KO to end it when it was really needed. Damn.

No probs thumbsup

Like the vids everyone has been posting, keep them coming Smile

Last edited by Soldier_Of_Fortune on Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:41 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:What I liked about Lueshing was when he got his chance he didn't die wondering.............Huge underdog that went for it !!

Colorful character and exciting too..

Hadn't seen this fight before and I agree. Lueshing even won the first on my card.

Especially when u see Lockett and co crumbling..

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:16 am

Like the Mercer Cooper post. 

How do you post youtube videos on here? I'd put up Clifford Etienne and Lawrence Clay Bey, awesome scrap!

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:58 am

I remember that one, Monty! Seems incredible to think it now but at the time, with Rahman's shock win over Lewis still to come and with Tyson and Holyfield's careers on a serious downturn, Etienne and Clay Bey were being hailed in some corners as the next great American Heavyweight hopes. Still, served up a cracker before  both of those bubbles got burst.

Only a Brit by association I guess, but you can't let a thread like this pass without mentioning a Cornelius Boza-Edwards fight. Most people know about his unbelievable wars with Chacon, Navarrete and Limon, but as we're talking obscure fights (or forgotten ones) I'd suggest Boza's slug fest with Guy Villegas as well. All action as it almost always was with Boza.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sat May 09, 2015 2:53 am

Jason Cook vs Sandro Casamonica European Lightweight Title

Only recently came across this. Jason Cook went to Italy at 10 days notice to face former WBO and European title challenger Sandro Casamonica. First real step up in class for Cook who was the underdog in this fight.

Enjoy

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down