The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2015 French Open Draw Discussion Thread

+15
Haddie-nuff
banbrotam
bogbrush
Jahu
summerblues
sirfredperry
HM Murdock
CaledonianCraig
Born Slippy
Belovedluckyboy
FedsFan
Henman Bill
CAS
temporary21
Silver
19 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

2015 French Open Draw Discussion Thread - Page 2 Empty 2015 French Open Draw Discussion Thread

Post by Henman Bill Thu 21 May 2015, 7:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

2015 French Open Draw

Date: Friday, May 22

Time: 10.30 London am/ 11:30 a.m. Paris time. (so Americas posters should be able to get the draw when waking up Friday morning).

Where: Roland Garros, Paris, France

Live Stream: Roland Garros YouTube channel

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

2015 French Open Draw Discussion Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: 2015 French Open Draw Discussion Thread

Post by HM Murdock Fri 22 May 2015, 4:05 pm

The potential Novak/Rafa QF adds an interesting dynamic to their rivalry, whatever the result.

If Novak wins, he moves ahead of Rafa 6-5 on clay since 2011, having beaten him at all of the big events - MC, Madrid, Rome and RG.

If Rafa wins, despite being 5-2 down at 1000 level since 2011, he'll move to 4-0 at slam level. He will have beaten Novak at RG seven times altogether!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

2015 French Open Draw Discussion Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: 2015 French Open Draw Discussion Thread

Post by temporary21 Fri 22 May 2015, 4:39 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Silver wrote:Craig, are you a fan of Mr. Edmund by any chance? Wink

Laugh

No not to that extent of posting the same message multiple times. The forum froze and I pressed send as frustration grew but mods should be deleting them soon. thumbsup
Found it.
In any case may I also congratulate Edmund

In that case may I congratulate...

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Fri 22 May 2015, 4:44 pm

Damn it Falzy, now I look like an idiot. Not that I need much help on that front Wink

HM Murdoch wrote:The potential Novak/Rafa QF adds an interesting dynamic to their rivalry, whatever the result.

If Novak wins, he moves ahead of Rafa 6-5 on clay since 2011, having beaten him at all of the big events - MC, Madrid, Rome and RG.

If Rafa wins, despite being 5-2 down at 1000 level since 2011, he'll move to 4-0 at slam level. He will have beaten Novak at RG seven times altogether!

This is fascinating. That potential clay lead really does illustrate how much Novak would deserve it should he win - and the final sentence reinforces that. Even Federer has 'only' lost five times to Nadal at RG.

And if Nadal gets through this draw then it may well be the crown jewel in his illustrious Roland Garros career.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 22 May 2015, 4:46 pm

Djokovic
R1 Nieminen
R2 Muller/Lorenzi
R3 Tomic
R4 Anderson/Gasquet
QF Nadal
SF Murray/Ferrer
F Federer
Clearly a tough draw, and that's 2 in a row after Rome.

Nadal
R1 Halys
R2 Dolgopolov/Almagro
R3 Mannarino/Melzer
R4 Dimitrov/Robredo
Qf Djokovic
Another tough draw, and needs to build up to playing at 90% by R2 given current form.
SF Murray
F Federer
Rafa is going for his 10th right. That is a big, round number that isn't receiving much attention..no one has probably ever won 10 of anything...even Federer is probably nowhere near 10 Basles. Even Jon Whiffeplaite Humberdink the third did not get 10 Wimbledons when it was just him, his mate, and whoever they could pull out of the crowd to play.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 22 May 2015, 4:50 pm

Murray
R1 qualifier
R2 Pospisil/Sousa
R3 Krgios/Istomin
R4 Goffin/Isner/Giraldo/Chardy
QF Ferrer
SF Nadal/Djokovic
F Federer
I guess I'm being rather generous here, Fed may not get to the final of course, but that is the seeding.

So, Murray's draw, probably more hard than easy (?) but not as bad as Rafa and Novak being drawn to play each other before Murray.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Fri 22 May 2015, 5:04 pm

Incidentally, I believe that it is Novak's birthday today.

I'm sure he would've wanted an easier draw as a present, but many happy returns nonetheless. Gluten-free cake? cake

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 22 May 2015, 5:12 pm

Ferrer
R1 Lacko
R2 Souza/Gimeno Traver
R3 Troicki
R4 Cilic/Mayer
QF Murray
SF Djokovic/Nadal

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 22 May 2015, 5:16 pm

Federer
R1 Qualifier
R2 Granollers
R3 Youzhny/Karlovic/Baghdatis
R4 Monfils
QF Warwinka/Simon
SF Berdych/Tsonga/Nishikori
F Djokovic/Nadal

Well, it's a good draw, with Djokovic, Nadal and Murray all in the other half. However, Monfils is not what he would have liked for R4.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 22 May 2015, 5:19 pm

Nishikori's eight of the draw looks really winnable, Section 5. If so a possible quarter final against Berdych, Tsonga or Fognini and one of those must be in the semi.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 22 May 2015, 5:29 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Ok, I am going to post here the bookies odds, and we will see whether the draw makes any difference.

Novak is at 8/11 with most bookmakers today, including all the big ones.
Rafa is at 3-1 with the majority, and the minority are split either side, so 3-1 is the average.
Murray is at mostly 8-1 with a few 9-1.
Federer is mostly at 18-1 or 20-1 with a few at 14-1.
Nishikori is ranging 12-1 to >20-1, average and most common 16-1.
Warwinka ranging from 14 to 40.
Berdych ranking 33-50 mostly.
Ferrer ranging 33-50 mostly as well.

Novak is now at 5/6, 4/5, 3/4, 10/11 with most, so his chances to win have decreased slightly after the draw. Not by much though. I guess the thing here is he is going to have to beat Rafa and 6 other players to win the FO, perhaps it doesn't make a huge difference what order it comes in.
Rafa has moved out to average 4-1.
Murray is at average 9-1, so his draw has been judged as slightly poor, as his odds have decreased.
Federer is slashed to average 10-1 or 10.5-1. The best odds you can get are now better than the worst odds you can get yesterday. Clearly, the bookies see him as the major beneficiary of the draw.
Warwinka odds not that different, mostly same range. Perhaps being drawn in Federer's quarter offsetting avoiding Djokovic and Nadal's half.
Berdych ranges 22-40 now after going in the easy quarter.
Ferrer now ranging 50-80 after going in the difficult half.

Well, in conclusion, draws can definately have a big effect on player's odds to win a tournament, according to the bookmakers. This is the second time I've done this and there were similar big changes the last time.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 22 May 2015, 5:59 pm

Surprise, Surprise Fed gets another gooey cupcake draw for a slam at the expense of Novak and the other top players. I somehow knew that Nadal, Murray would be in Djoko's half. This makes Novak's quest extremely difficult. And frankly this has my conspiracy meter up and running. More good fortune for Fed again at the expense of Novak, I am having a tough time believing it personally but I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the favoritism Fed continually gets from the allegedly random draws at slams. I mean we have seen this now for many years and it is interesting how all these random coincidences fall into place for one guy.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 22 May 2015, 6:14 pm

Its so hilarious he also surprise, surprise gets the highest ranked and most dangerous opponent in the first round of any top four seed. Federer, Berdych, and Murray all start with a player well down in the second hundred of the rankings. What a crock of sheet served up the French and they are trying to pass it off as a croquet monsieur.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 22 May 2015, 6:20 pm

Wait check that Novak has the highest ranked first round opponent of any of the top 7, Wawrinka's first round draw is Ilhan is slightly higher ranked but not nearly as experienced as Niemmenen. Seriously we need some oversight on these draws, I believe they are random like I believe in the easter bunny.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 22 May 2015, 6:32 pm

Ah come on, Socal, are you wumming or what? I bet Djokovic will get an easy draw at Wimbledon or the US Open and we'll hear nothing from you or anyone about it. These things average out over time.

If he can't beat Nieminen he doesn't deserve to win it and in any case winning RG for him is the same job as it has been for the last few years: it means beating Rafa and 6 other players he should be well capable of beating anyway. The order in which Rafa comes shouldn't make much difference as evidenced by the bookies only minor adjustment of the odds for Djokovic to win after the draw.

And since when has Murray on a semi final at RG been a bad draw? He has never got past that stage and rarely even reached it.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 22 May 2015, 6:32 pm

Heart attack approaching....3,2,1...
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 22 May 2015, 6:43 pm

US Open 2014
https://www.606v2.com/t55217-does-the-draw-matter
I tracked a slight reduction in Djokovic's odds after Murray was drawn in his quarter but no big deal.

Australian Open 2015
Socal, you seem to have mysteriously forgotten when Murray, Nadal and Federer were drawn into the same half leaving Djokovic all alone in the top half, and when his final open turned out to be Murray, the easiest one of all especially given his form at the time!
Raonic-Warwinka-Murray QF-SF-F for the title. Not bad at all. I don't recall your comments complaining about that.
First round opponent for Djokovic at the AO, Aljaž Bedene, qualifier, ranked over 100 (at the time).

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 May 2015, 6:49 pm

And........Breathe!

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Fri 22 May 2015, 6:49 pm

Murray's draw looks manageable up to QF. He's never beaten Ferrer on clay so if they both get there I would expect Ferrer to win. However, if he does reach the SF, he may get to pick up the pieces of Rafa/Novak. Decent draw for him overall.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 22 May 2015, 6:57 pm

This whole process is stupid. When you are the world number 1 and your first round draw is worse than the world number 7 what exactly is the point of the seeding system. Tennis ranks every player from 1 to fcking infinity, so what is the point of a closed door by chance draw. It should be just like American sports. If you are 1 you draw number 4 in the semis and number 8 in your quarter. Why do we need a closed door supposed random draw? That is what the fcking rankings are for. You are seeded higher you get a better draw, period and end of story. No way to abuse it no discretion needed at all

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 22 May 2015, 7:16 pm

Henman Bill wrote:US Open 2014
https://www.606v2.com/t55217-does-the-draw-matter
I tracked a slight reduction in Djokovic's odds after Murray was drawn in his quarter but no big deal.

Australian Open 2015
Socal, you seem to have mysteriously forgotten when Murray, Nadal and Federer were drawn into the same half leaving Djokovic all alone in the top half, and when his final open turned out to be Murray, the easiest one of all especially given his form at the time!
Raonic-Warwinka-Murray QF-SF-F for the title. Not bad at all. I don't recall your comments complaining about that.
First round opponent for Djokovic at the AO, Aljaž Bedene, qualifier, ranked over 100 (at the time).

LOL, HB.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri 22 May 2015, 7:19 pm

socal1976 wrote:This whole process is stupid. When you are the world number 1 and your first round draw is worse than the world number 7 what exactly is the point of the seeding system. Tennis ranks every player from 1 to fcking infinity, so what is the point of a closed door by chance draw. It should be just like American sports. If you are 1 you draw number 4 in the semis and number 8 in your quarter.  Why do we need a closed door supposed random draw? That is what the fcking rankings are for. You are seeded higher you get a better draw, period and end of story. No way to abuse it no discretion needed at all

Djokovic is being tested, SoCal. It is better to get to the Coupe des Mousquetaires this way. He will be battle-hardened by the final.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 22 May 2015, 7:24 pm

Henman bill Fed if you want to start listing cupcake draws then it is clear you should look at fed multiple cupcake draws over the years. Why should the sixth seed start against a player ranked 300 and the one seed a player ranked 85? This is not one isolated incident roger has such a wonderful record of coincidences of avoiding Nadal in draws that he should press his luck and go to Vegas. Even when they were 2 and three it was a rarity they would be put in the same side. Was Phil knight in Paris when this draw took place? What is the point of the seeding system when the top seed can get screwed and who exactly oversees this draw?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 22 May 2015, 7:29 pm

Are you telling me that wawrinka who was the defending champ and two time slam champ Murray is an easy last two rounds of a slam? What would you then make of some of federer's competition in his slam finals. If djokovic manages to win this slam it will be the greatest single slam victory since edbergs run in the USO in the nineties.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 22 May 2015, 7:43 pm

LF, can I derail the thread with a kiss for you? kiss

Getting too NSA/GCHQ this conspiracy theory Laugh
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 May 2015, 7:51 pm

socal1976 wrote:Are you telling me that wawrinka who was the defending champ and two time slam champ Murray is an easy last two rounds of a slam? What would you then make of some of federer's competition in his slam finals. If djokovic manages to win this slam it will be the greatest single slam victory since edbergs run in the USO in the nineties.

Socal look at that last sentence. Take the positives. If he pulls this off and the draw goes to plan, then won't we look back at this as one of the most amazing slam victories rather than who he drew in the first round. The draw could very well open up for him.

I am an Andy fan and his draw isn't much cop, but I'd sooner he beat the best players and win it rather than be opportunistic when the best players are taken out by others Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 22 May 2015, 7:58 pm

And lets not forget amongst all this speculation, that Rafa hasn't lost it yet and has  an equally difficult task of attempting to defend his title... should he do so it too could be seen as one of his greatest victories  Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 22 May 2015, 8:00 pm

Sorry socal, but the discussion is draw conspiracy, you are now mixing in weak era arguments which is another question entirely, whoever played Federer in a final was nothing whatsoever related to draws. Irrelevant to the current discussion.

A slam is always a challenge; I am saying that Raonic-Warwinka-Murray is relatively easy by the standards of a slam and evidence that draws even out, and evidence against systematic draw fixing.

It is interesting that they are playing in the quarter final. I was thinking about it yesterday and I thought odds are 1 in 4 that this will happen, so probably won't. But woke up this morning and I was thinking, you know what, something tell me it's going to happen, it had to be.

Then I click on BBC News website in the morning and see the sports headline "Murray to play qualifier". I immediately thought that this means Nadal and Djokovic are drawn in separate halves, since even the BBC surely can't rate "We don't know Murray's lowly ranked first round opponent yet" non-story as more headline worthy than "Djokovic to face Nadal in the quarters". Yet, amazingly they do.

I don't know where they can go from here. Next week when I click on the BBC News and see  the sports headline "Murray to take a p1ss when he wakes up" perhaps I need to click further into the tennis section to find the story "Rafa has Mirka's baby, taunts Federer about it during 100-98 final set while snorting cocaine on court and accusing Djokovic of being on PEDs".

Anyway, so it is to be the quarter final, if they both get there. Well, we already had in the last few years the match of the tournament in the semis, this time it's in the quarters. If they do both get through the first week, ranking points wise and prize money wise there might ultimately be more at stake than a final, and you could even argue that the QF is a bigger match than a slam final (this is highly debatable, but it's an argument).

At any rate, it's surely on for the biggest quarter final of this era so far, and a contender for the biggest quarter final of all time maybe even. Rafa is looking at 10 in a row or washed up and finished? Djokovic is looking at major career damaging choke and the unsettling prospect for Djoko fans of never winning the French Open...or on the other hand a career defining win that puts him in with a chance of a CYGS and puts him in the GOAT conversation.

Last edited by Henman Bill on Fri 22 May 2015, 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 22 May 2015, 8:01 pm

Yeah I hope Snowden's next revelation is about draw fixing in tennis. If it is I for sure shall rush to the forum to see the article Socal is going to write when this happens.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 May 2015, 8:06 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:And lets not forget amongst all this speculation,  that Rafa hasn't lost it yet and has  an equally difficult task of attempting to defend his title... should he do so it too could be seen as one of his greatest victories  Wink

Indeed I wouldn't discount Rafa despite his form. Would be a fantastic win for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 22 May 2015, 8:10 pm

The only reason to keep this silly closed door process is so that they can tweak the draws. I mean they can just have it go strictly by ranking and we wouldn't get these wild discrepancies. It is especially odd in a sport like tennis that has the most exacting and precise system of rankings. Plus we know that a study done by ESPN showed the draws were not random a real statistican looked at the draws over the course of years.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 22 May 2015, 8:13 pm

Rafa is looking at 10 in a row or washed up and finished?

HB.    really!!!! . bit OTT don't you think ??  there are those who might like to think so

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 22 May 2015, 8:19 pm

It was OTT I admit. However if he doesn't win the FO he will be at a low point for his whole career - at least in terms of results. (Rather than injuries/health issues.)

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 22 May 2015, 8:24 pm

Couldn't agree with that more, however, he has little left to lose after that, should it happen, and should be well placed for a big comeback next season where, hopefully, if he finds his form he could be a dream wrecker  Wink    I might be wrong but I don't see Rafa skulking off into the sidelines.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Fri 22 May 2015, 8:24 pm

Yeah FO will have a mega high point for Djoko if he wins it, and mega low for Nadal if he loses it.

Demoralization on one side and total galactic pleasure on the other side.

Last edited by Jahu on Fri 22 May 2015, 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 22 May 2015, 8:25 pm

HB, you are so right about the BBC. They view tennis entirely through the prism of Andy.

We had years of articles like this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jonathanoverend/2012/08/can_britains_murray_win_us_ope.html

And then Andy does it! He wins that first slam! What angle would they now take for the next slam?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21002898

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Fri 22 May 2015, 8:30 pm

Fed on the conditions, and why he sees Nadal as still the favourite.

Q. You're back with Stefan Edberg this week working for the first time in quite a while. I think probably the first time in the clay season. What's he bringing to the table now at Roland Garros? Is it just sort of inspirational role still or actually tweaking stuff with you?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, we did see each other in Monaco for, you know, over a week. So he came there. I did see him recently on the clay already to get his input on this surface early on. Then, you know, you move forward from there. Went to Istanbul with Severin, and also Madrid and Rome, which went well for me considering. So I'm in good shape, but it's just important that we see each other from time to time again. It's nice spending time. He lets me know what he's seeing; what he thinks needs some improvement. Here now I think all the players, not just myself, have to do a major adjustment to different playing conditions. I know it sounds a bit silly, but the conditions are totally different from what we have seen the last few weeks, because the balls are very dead, really. There is not much coming out of the balls; whereas all of the clay court season played very different. So that's why for me, of course the results what you have had in the past play somewhat of a role that can give you confidence. But at the end, I think we will see quite different tennis actually to the last six weeks, which I think is going to be a test for all of us and interesting. That's why I think the first round is actually quite important here. But Stefan, to have him around is always great and he gives me good input.

Q. Given that the conditions are perhaps a little bit slow, the courts could be quite slow, how would you assess your own chances here of success?
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, I will take it a match at a time, you know. I feel like I have had a great last 12 months. I have had a good beginning of the season, really. I'm happy with my level of play, and that's where my focus lies, you know. I know there is a lot of good players out there that want to win the tournament that can win the tournament. Others that are dangerous on the day. Every draw is the same thing. Like I said, I just gotta make sure I adjust my game according to the playing conditions here, and then we will see how far it takes me. I think there is a chance to go very deep. How deep remains to be seen depending on the level of play.

Q. How would you describe the clay here? What makes it special compared to others?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, they all play a bit different depending on, you know, the sort of sand you use or what the base of the sand is and how it reacts to, let's say, rain and wind and humid weather and dry weather, you know. This one keeps adjusting like all the surfaces, as well. I find here probably sand is the most fine in terms of the grain with Rome. So it feels a bit different to then the clay we have, let's say, in Switzerland. Monaco feels similar to what we have in Switzerland more or less it seems like. It's a nice court. Obviously they put in a lot of effort. You can feel it. It's a nice court to play on. Yeah. As you would expect, it's a good court.

THE MODERATOR: Questions in French.

Q. You saw the draws. Nadal, Murray, are not in your side. What is your reaction? Nadal will be playing Djokovic if everything goes well in quarterfinals.
ROGER FEDERER: Yes. Well, they are not on my side of the draw, but they are, because at the end of the day I think we are all playing the same tournament. Whether it's in semis or in the finals, if you lose, you lose at one point or another. So my objective is to not lose. You know, I may not play these players right away, but I may have to play them later. It will be interesting to see Rafa play Novak. There is no big difference. Rafa is ranked between 5 and 8, so I knew that I could play him in quarterfinals or semifinals. But it makes no difference. He's very difficult to beat unless you can prove me the contrary. Except for Soderling. I don't really know who else can do it. I'm waiting to see. We will see how things go. As I was just saying in English, I think the playing conditions here are very, very different, so I think we have to adjust. Making the right adjustments will be really important. Then of course it's important to stay focused. Again, the draws, I think they are interesting for the media. They may be important for certain players. But once again, at the end of the day, I take it as news. It's just news, but here I am focused again on what I have to do. It's interesting to, you know, keep an eye on the draws, of course. It's not something that I monitor very closely.

Q. Nadal and Djokovic are receiving most of the attention. You were used to getting a lot of attention. Is it nice in a sense to be less in the spotlight compared to before?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, it makes no big difference. I prepare for the tournament. I train. I have to talk to the press. So 99% remains the same. It really depends on where you put the focus, you know. Novak gets a lot of attention. He's trying to win Roland Garros for the first time. He's been playing very, very, well. He could have lost 20 years in a row and still win once. He's just been incredibly successful, and I think he really deserves the attention. Rafa, what can I say? He's an incredible player. Rafa, it took everything for him. You know, it took me eight years. Took him nine years, you know, nine victories. It's normal that he should get so much attention.

Q. Listen to you. You don't really think Rafa is less good compared to previous years? Last year we had similar questions. Do you think the situation this year for him is the same? The tournament is now starting. You also mentioned the clay being very different. Yes, the balls are different. Why do you think that this could serve him more than other tournaments do?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I think that when it's a little slower it's better for him. That way he is even less impressed by big servers. Same thing is true of me. Typically we play more on the baseline. He's a baseline player. That's where he's just really strong both physically, and mentally he knows how to find the right angles, the speed. With five sets he has even more leeway and margin and the confidence that no one else has here at Roland Garros. I think the players are fully aware of this. I think that's why, you know, this is really serving Rafa. But of course every single time he's back he has to prove it again. His record is very incredible.
FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 22 May 2015, 8:32 pm

According to the schedule, which I found on a third party site after failing to see it on the RG site, it's one quarter final on Tuesday (June 2) and another on Wednesday. So would it be fair to say that the top half of the draw will go first, so it's June 2 for the potential Rafa-Novak quarter?

Just need to block out a half day in my work calendar...

http://www.tours4tennis.com/roland-garros/schedule.shtml

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 22 May 2015, 8:36 pm

Haha, none of this "I still have to play Joe Bloggs in R1 and I'm not thinking beyond that" from Federer.

His comment was more like "yep, Novak v Rafa in the quarters and then maybe me in the final"!.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 22 May 2015, 8:41 pm

Well as we know Rafa has a great deal of respect for Roger and I am sure he would find Roger's opinion a great confidence booster.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 22 May 2015, 8:44 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:HB, you are so right about the BBC. They view tennis entirely through the prism of Andy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jonathanoverend/2012/08/can_britains_murray_win_us_ope.html

And then Andy does it! He wins that first slam! What angle would they now take for the next slam?

Well what would you expect? It is a BRITISH Broadcasting Company so will look out for British players first. Go to the Spanish equivalent and it will be all about Rafa or the Serbian equivalent and it will be interested in Novak's draw.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Fri 22 May 2015, 8:44 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Haha, none of this "I still have to play Joe Bloggs in R1 and I'm not thinking beyond that" from Federer.

His comment was more like "yep, Novak v Rafa in the quarters and then maybe me in the final"!.

To be fair, I did edit out some of the question/answers where he did go into the one match at a time mantra:-)

The conditions comments and how it plays into Rafas strength (while we already know) is interesting though because I think people are forgetting how much confidence that gives Nadal and really- that's all he needs to get back to his usual clay standard.  confidence.  I think Federer and other players probably recognize this and fully expect Nadal to play great.

Federer is almost too reverential to Nadal on clay now. Maybe by building him up to be an unbeatable force here, it helps him subconsciously deal with why he never could crack Nadal at RG.

In terms of Feds chances though- if the conditions are that slow as he says- I would bet he really doesn't expect to beat Djoko or Nadal, and probably doesn't even expect to make finals.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 22 May 2015, 9:06 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Well what would you expect? It is a BRITISH Broadcasting Company so will look out for British players first. Go to the Spanish equivalent and it will be all about Rafa or the Serbian equivalent and it will be interested in Novak's draw.
You don't think it's a touch unimaginative?

Plenty of other British sources seem capable of viewing the bigger picture:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/index.html
http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/

Even Scottish ones!
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/tennis

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 22 May 2015, 9:09 pm

Because it's BO5 and slow clay and the history there, Rafa's chances to win increase. However for my money Djokovic is still the favourite because his form and current level is just so far ahead that even given all that, I think Djokovic will win it. Being in a quarter final, with less of the weight of history and less chance for Rafa to build up form, probably works slightly in his favour as well.

I was surprised at Rafa's odds though, so I did put £2 on Rafa to win.

Bookies are saying Roger has a 50% chance to win his quarter. Sounds about right. Monfils: can certainly beat Roger on his day, so can Warwinka, but these are not matchups where Roger is actually hindered by the slow court, as they can be just as or more aggressive than he is. I suspect in best of 5 Roger will edge out Monfils. Warwinka, on a slow clay, might end up hitting a few balls long trying to hit winners, while, of the three, Roger perhaps has the superior defence.

My guess is that Federer will make the final. If he does, he might lose badly, but that's another story.

I predict that somewhere in the middle of the tournament someone will go up 2-0 or 2-1 on Roger but not be able to close it out. Federer has such history here at this event, Haas, Del Potro.

Last edited by Henman Bill on Fri 22 May 2015, 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 22 May 2015, 9:11 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:Well what would you expect? It is a BRITISH Broadcasting Company so will look out for British players first. Go to the Spanish equivalent and it will be all about Rafa or the Serbian equivalent and it will be interested in Novak's draw.
You don't think it's a touch unimaginative?

Plenty of other British sources seem capable of viewing the bigger picture:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/index.html
http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/

Even Scottish ones!
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/tennis

Ah yes in that way then yes. But I'd say it will be the same there for say Monaco Grand Prix reports as in focus first and foremost on Lewis Hamilton.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 22 May 2015, 9:22 pm

Ive always been amongst the first to criticise Roger for his arrogance but for once I take my hat off to him.  He has nothing to gain or lose by saying what he does about Rafa, other than to recognise him for the champion he is. there is mutual respect me thinks) saying that also it was only a couple of weeks back when Novak acknowledged that Rafa had earned the title "The King of Clay".  Roger and Rafa have in equal measure acknowledged too the fantastic year that Novak has had.. no one is disputing that. So are we not fortunate to have a tournament so well contested.??.. But there is a lot to be lost and gained in this tournament. And the irony is that maybe there will be a few banana skins along the way and none of them will win Very Happy

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 22 May 2015, 9:31 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:HB, you are so right about the BBC. They view tennis entirely through the prism of Andy.

Well what would you expect? It is a BRITISH Broadcasting Company so will look out for British players first. Go to the Spanish equivalent and it will be all about Rafa or the Serbian equivalent and it will be interested in Novak's draw.
It's true, there are huge numbers of people out there who want to read about people with whom they share some geographical proximity. Crazy isn't it?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 22 May 2015, 9:32 pm

socal1976 wrote:Surprise, Surprise Fed gets another gooey cupcake draw for a slam at the expense of Novak and the other top players. I somehow knew that Nadal, Murray would be in Djoko's half. This makes Novak's quest extremely difficult. And frankly this has my conspiracy meter up and running. More good fortune for Fed again at the expense of Novak, I am having a tough time believing it personally but I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the favoritism Fed continually gets from the allegedly random draws at slams. I mean we have seen this now for many years and it is interesting how all these random coincidences fall into place for one guy.
Ah, scratch the surface and the veneer peels away Laugh
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri 22 May 2015, 9:39 pm

I disagree I think federer is being completely self serving with his comments trying to get under Novak's skin just like his Rome comments that were dismissive of Novak and his chances. Plus it makes his own decimation on clay at the hands of Nadal seem less poor. I think it bothers him that he was never favored over nadal on clay and that Novak can beat Nadal and be favored over him at RG. Something that he could never manage

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 22 May 2015, 9:41 pm

bogbrush wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

It's true, there are huge numbers of people out there who want to read about people with whom they share some geographical proximity. Crazy isn't it?

Yip and a huge amount of glory-hunters out there as well. It takes all sorts I suppose.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Fri 22 May 2015, 9:58 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Ive always been amongst the first to criticise Roger for his arrogance but for once I take my hat off to him.  He has nothing to gain or lose by saying what he does about Rafa, other than to recognise him for the champion he is.

Nice to see this from you Haddie. Good post  Hug  I'm excited about this one, can't wait for the start. For some reason I always love watching the clay season on TV, more than any other - there's just something about it. I always miss it when we head to Queens. This year doubly so with the CYGS possibility, Rafa going for #10!

Henman Bill wrote:Then I click on BBC News website in the morning and see the sports headline "Murray to play qualifier". I immediately thought that this means Nadal and Djokovic are drawn in separate halves, since even the BBC surely can't rate "We don't know Murray's lowly ranked first round opponent yet" non-story as more headline worthy than "Djokovic to face Nadal in the quarters". Yet, amazingly they do.

I don't know where they can go from here. Next week when I click on the BBC News and see  the sports headline "Murray to take a p1ss when he wakes up" perhaps I need to click further into the tennis section to find the story "Rafa has Mirka's baby, taunts Federer about it during 100-98 final set while snorting cocaine on court and accusing Djokovic of being on PEDs".

Time to up your game, socal. HB's taken an early lead in the Post of the Year stakes Laugh

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next