The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pro12 fights back!!!

+4
VinceWLB
Welshmushroom
profitius
GoodinTightSpaces
8 posters

Go down

Pro12 fights back!!! Empty Pro12 fights back!!!

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Sat 30 May 2015, 11:23 am

Good read this

‘More tries. More competitive. More punters – This was the season that the Pro12 fought back’ http://the42.ie/2130329

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Pro12 fights back!!! Empty Re: Pro12 fights back!!!

Post by profitius Sat 30 May 2015, 2:33 pm

Tumbleweed

Good news. Its still a league thats young and maturing and I expect it to continue that way.

Obviously there are things that can be improved ie the Italian teams.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 30 May 2015, 2:41 pm

It is good news. This season has seen improvement in sponsorship, broadcasting, qualification, competition and attendance. Considering that this is on the back of the uncertainty caused by the Euro fall-out, that's some achievement.
The great news is that there is room for improvement, and no reason to believe that PRO12 will not continue to improve throughout the coming seasons.

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 30 May 2015, 6:50 pm

A lot has been made of the whole Italians having lost players last year and being very poor in the Pro 12 this year. I think to be fair too much was read into it. You only have to look at Treviso's transfer news already (and they probably are not done yet either):-

In:
Italy Simone Ferrari from Italy Milano
Italy Jean-François Montauriol from Italy Rovigo
South Africa Duncan Naude from France RC Chalon
Italy Andrea De Marchi from Italy Rovigo
Samoa Filo Paulo from Wales Cardiff Blues
Italy Robert Barbieri from England Leicester Tigers
Italy Alberto De Marchi from England Sale Sharks
Italy Luke McLean from England Sale Sharks
England Tom Palmer from England Gloucester Rugby

Out:
Players Out[edit]
Italy Michele Campagnaro to England Exeter Chiefs
Italy Simone Favaro to Scotland Glasgow Warriors
England Joe Carlisle to England London Welsh
Italy Corniel van Zyl retired
Italy Paul Derbyshire to Italy Zebre
Italy Giovanni Maistri to Italy Petrarca Padova

From that list the only loss I see is Campagnaro but when you look at who's coming in they have recruited most of the players back they had previously not to mention some experienced and bulky replacements. Palmer will add experience to their side and their pack looks on paper already much stronger. Don't be surprised if Treviso upset the apple cart again next year with a mid table finish. With those recruitments so far its certainly possible. They will have one big pack to call on. For me the main whole they have left to fill is at 10 unless Ragusi is finally given a run there or Bacchin comes good.

League is constantly improving.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 30 May 2015, 7:30 pm

Treviso will have a serious pack next season, they might surprise a few.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 May 2015, 10:15 am

VinceWLB wrote:Treviso will have a serious pack next season, they might surprise a few.

I dont think their competitiveness is ever a surprise, even this season where they were not as strong as in others they could still put in some very handy performances.

Regarding the pro12 I think if we continue to see arise in ability of teams like Connacht and the dragons as has even seen this season, as well as an improvement in Cardif Blues and Edinburgh then next season will be very tough.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 31 May 2015, 10:59 am

Agree Maesteg, It's really only the Italians that are now noticeably behind the rest. Maybe their restructure will start to yield benefits?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 31 May 2015, 12:28 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Agree Maesteg, It's really only the Italians that are now noticeably behind the rest. Maybe their restructure will start to yield benefits?

We can hope so..

Though there have been noticeable improvements in both Italian teams abilities. I don't think any GP12 team go to Italy expecting a bp win anymore, half the league at least if not more go out ere just hoping to get points.

The league as a whole is progressing, maybe Edinburgh, blues and the Italians were left a little behind this season.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 31 May 2015, 12:35 pm

Deserved congratulations to Glasgow on their victory yesterday. There season long performance merited it.

Some of Glasgow's plays and passing were top-drawer and they have assembled a brilliant troupe of players who hopefully will go onto better things in the league and European rugby next season.

Hope there are lots of sore Glasgow fans heads this morning from a well deserved celebration.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sun 31 May 2015, 5:28 pm

Comparing the Scottish teams to the Italians, the Scottish sides are allowed more foreign players. Its something the Italians should be looking at also. I know they wnt to do best for their national side as well but theres no point stacking a squad full of Italians if they'll never be good enough to play for Italy. Get their Pro12 teams competitive first and then Italy will improve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2015%E2%80%9316_Pro12_transfers
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Sun 31 May 2015, 11:04 pm

Whenever I see articles lke this I try to see the in context to the rest of europe, or the world. If the Rabo attendances are rising how does this compare to the Aviva or Top 14 attendances? Is this a natural occurance or something specific to the league.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down