The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey vs Kent - County championship

+10
LondonTiger
SimonofSurrey
MisterRipley
NickisBHAFC
jimbohammers
kingdaveeagle
Corporalhumblebucket
jimbobgooner
guildfordbat
Good Golly I'm Olly
14 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Surrey vs Kent - County championship - Page 4 Empty Surrey vs Kent - County championship

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:58 pm

First topic message reminder :

Surrey squad -

Third degree
#ansariforengland
Baron
Sibley
Solanki
THE GOAT
Le Roi king
Foakes
Norah
Burke
Curran the senior
Curran the junior
Viscount

Solanki and Curran the junior to miss out
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Surrey vs Kent - County championship - Page 4 Empty Re: Surrey vs Kent - County championship

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:11 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:still makes no sense why son of boris opened

Word at the ground was that the reason Ansari didn't open yesterday was because he had the squits!

Unlike Simon, I'm generally never keen on using a nightwatchman. Too often, they get out too soon - either the same evening or early the next morning - and give the bowling side an easy wicket and a morale boost.

I appreciate Ansari hasn't helped my case tonight but wouldn't he normally be the one able to stonewall it through?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Surrey vs Kent - County championship - Page 4 Empty Re: Surrey vs Kent - County championship

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:54 pm

Olly wrote:And watching the highlights on Youtube (what is posted so far) - seems Sam Curran really has a great skill to bring the ball into right handers and away from left handers. A deadly ball for the left arm seamer, especially when you have one that goes straight on too. He also appeared to get a wicket with a well directed short ball - Guildford how did he look pace wise?

Also chapeau to Foakes for a lovely piece of work to dismiss Stevens - very tasty. Is Wilson's place in the side under threat?

Olly - thanks for your last couple of posts. Can't make it tomorrow although should be able to listen in for some of it.

Just seen the Youtube clips.

Sam Curran was certainly impressive and you flag key skills. He certainly seemed to have the ability to put the ball where he wanted and also the ability to astutely vary where he wanted to put it. It was the latter - rather than his pace - which particularly undid his victims, especially Blake although he did make a right horlicks of the shot. I'm reluctant to guess his speed but would certainly say he's not as quick as his brother who in turn is not as quick as Dunn. I wouldn't be surprised though if he gets faster as he gets older and his body develops further. I know I've made a bit of a joke about it before but he does look very young - some 17 year olds could pass for 22, Sam today looks more like a slim 15/16 year old.

Brilliant stumping by Foakes. He's very athletic and particularly nimble for a tall guy - I reckon he's about 6 ft (maybe an inch more), different from the '60s and '70s when most keepers were 5' 6'', eh Corporal? There wasn't a chance like that when I was watching but I noticed him looking for that sort of possibility.

I find it very hard to picture Wilson getting down and pulling off a similar dismissal. His future place must be in some doubt.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:03 pm

Thanks for the reports Guildford...much appreciated!   I would certainly be concerned if we were having to chase more than 150.... 120 definitely more achievable ....but if we lose early wickets the colly wobbles may well set in....the good news is though that even if we lose we will have gained 2 extra points over Glamorgan!  It's going to be a nervous first hour or so.... Not sure whether to try to follow the test at Lords or the Oval....or to try to get on with my work! Very Happy Very Happy

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:11 pm

If we lose an early wicket I'd be half tempted to send Roy in - try to take the initiative and attack to the bowlers. Even a quick 30 would cause a lot of damage in this total
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:11 pm

Cheers, Chichester.

First off - for the first hour or so, forget your work. That'll always be with you, the cricket won't! Very Happy

Understand about possible colly wobbles but an hour of someone like Roy or Sanga should see us well towards our target.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:14 pm

Olly wrote:If we lose an early wicket I'd be half tempted to send Roy in - try to take the initiative and attack to the bowlers. Even a quick 30 would cause a lot of damage in this total

Olly - hadn't seen this post when I replied to Chichester. Agree that Roy is a vital weapon for us and a real worry for Kent.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:26 pm

Good points about Roy!   I think he did something similar in the reverse fixture earlier in the season....you are right about the work..it will wait Yahoo

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:53 pm

I'm actually in the big smoke tomorrow - meeting from 10 until 3:30. So hopefully I'll turn my phone on to the cricinfo app telling me we've won Smile
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:13 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Olly wrote:.....
Also chapeau to Foakes for a lovely piece of work to dismiss Stevens - very tasty. Is Wilson's place in the side under threat?

.......Brilliant stumping by Foakes. He's very athletic and particularly nimble for a tall guy - I reckon he's about 6 ft (maybe an inch more), different from the '60s and '70s when most keepers were 5' 6'', eh Corporal? There wasn't a chance like that when I was watching but I noticed him looking for that sort of possibility.

I find it very hard to picture Wilson getting down and pulling off a similar dismissal. His future place must be in some doubt.

Just caught up with the clip of that stumping.  Astonishing piece of work. clap clap .  Could well be that Foakes becomes the regular keeper and Wilson / Harinath / Sibley / Solanki compete for two batting places (or one place when Davies returns).

Guildford you're right - it certainly used to be the norm that English keepers were somewhat short - Knott (5ft 8in), Taylor, Russell (5ft 8.5in) spring to mind...

Clip of the Curran LBW was also remarkable - the way the ball both straightened and kept low. Batsman didn't have much chance.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:51 am

Should England fans be excited about the 17 year old Curran? I know its his debut, but going off the scorecard looks impressive. Is he even eligible for England as Cricinfo lists his brother as a South African player I think?

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:49 am

Hi VTR - obviously we'll have to see how things develop but there's clear talent with 17 year old left-armer Sam Curran. England fans could do worse than keep an eye out. He's been quietly but highly regarded at the Oval for at least a year to my knowledge.

As far as I understand it, he's already eligible for England being born and educated in this country. That's unlike elder brother Tom who was born in South Africa and still needs to complete another year here to become English qualified. Their father was the late Kevin Curran who played for Zimbabwe as well as Gloucs and Northants.

The cricinfo report of his bowling yesterday (which I saw) reads - ''his bustling, whippy-armed opening spell was remarkable for someone still so young''. That's very accurate. The wristy whip-like movement seemed to give his deliveries extra pace (Olly - you were asking about his pace last night, that's something I should have mentioned then) and effectiveness.

One other thing I would mention is that he's not yet fully developed physically. He's very slim and young looking. That shouldn't be a problem and hopefully, in the next couple of years, he'll get bigger, stronger and more effective. However, nature can sometimes play cruel tricks on a young body with talent - no reason to think that will happen here but just saying he has some (physical) growing up to do and so best not to count too many chickens too soon.

Right-armer Tom is faster and also one to watch out for. He made his debut more quietly last season but is already now one of the first names on the Surrey team sheet.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:59 am

Thanks for the info, very good insight there! I am not a huge follower of CC having no allegiance, but do keep an eye on young/promising players from a purely selfish "could England pick them up" perspective

There are a few Surrey players on my radar: Dunn, Sibley, Roy and now the Currans - probably more than any other team at the moment!

Last edited by VTR on Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:59 am

Morning Corporal, JimBob - and all others looking in here on the most important game today. Smile

Olly's at his meeting in the big smoke, could do with Goochie and a few of his rib ticklers to steady the nerves.

King Dave - keep calm and don't panic, well not until we're 9 down! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:15 am

Morning Guildford - I will be looking in from time to time around decorating the barracks....

Burns reaches double figures with his first boundary.  Kent continue with Tredwell as a new ball bowler... Shocked

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:20 am

Corporal - the main danger men for Kent must be Tredders and the ever pesky Stevens. If we can see them off, you'll need some ''Wet Paint'' signs up as we march towards the bar .... Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:24 am

26 - 2 Shocked Shocked.  Sanga stumped for 1 of Tredwell! Sad Sad 

Burns 25* has hit four boundaries - need him to make a half century.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:25 am

Foakes in ahead of Harinath and Sibley.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:02 pm

Foakes and Burns doing well. 56/2. First hour belongs to us.

Coles replaced Stevens and went for 9 in his opening over - Kent can't afford that with the small total they're defending. Less than 70 needed - not won yet but looking good ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:16 pm

68 - 2 and a very valuable partnership between Burns and Foakes.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:09 pm

START THE BAR CORPORAL
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:19 pm

Extremely well played by this relatively inexperienced Surrey team. Didn't hear any commentary this morning but it sounds as though Burns and Foakes played really well.

The bar is open!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:23 pm

RedWine Indeed...make mine a double Corporal RedWine

Managed to get home at lunchtime to hear the last 10 mins of commentary ..sounded like Foakes batted superbly! div 1 here we come Yahoo Unlike last time around we are playing really well, in the main due to our crop of exciting youngsters coming through the ranks....that has got to be one of the most encouraging things about this season!

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:26 pm

clap clap As Churchy said, ''a huge win in terms of the battle for promotion''.

A really good knock from Foakes to see us home following on from his excellent keeping yesterday. I don't see him playing many more second eleven games.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:33 pm

guinness guinness guinness Ale Ale Ale Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly cider cider cider

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:34 pm

As I said on a previous thread, this side has more than a passing resblance to our largely home grown all conquering (sort of) team of the late 90s/ early Noughties. Burns = Ward, Roy = A Brown, and we've even got a pair of highly promising non- English born (soon to be) England qualified all rounders!

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:26 pm

corporal i'm here Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly cider guinness Whisky RedWine

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:29 pm

We just won a first class match with a seam attack that has a combined age of 61. Tasty
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:17 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:corporal i'm here Bubbly Bubbly Bubbly cider guinness Whisky RedWine

JimBob - we started without you but glad you made it! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:28 pm

Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:09 am

Olly wrote:We just won a first class match with a seam attack that has a combined age of 61. Tasty

...and in well under three days full play. Some effort.

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:57 am

Olly wrote:We just won a first class match with a seam attack that has a combined age of 61. Tasty

Please tell me it wasnt a 4 man attack!

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:01 pm

Idly reading through this thread at lunchtime ...

Hadn't realized you and the excellent Gomes were " virtual twins" , guildford Smile

A belated birthday greeting to you ! Glad Surrey delivered for you.

I guessed Gomes was the answer to your question , from your clues , by the way.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:09 pm

Thanks, Alfie. Good to see you on a proper thread! Wink

Well done in getting Gomes although I did think the Corporal would have got there quicker! Smile

The Curran brothers might just be ones to look out for.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:12 pm

almost as old as guildford Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:58 pm

Don't give up the day job, JimBob.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4