The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan thinks Brook fight could be worth £100 million

+13
Derbymanc
TopHat24/7
Herman Jaeger
Guest82
jimdig
Jermaine2015
DuransHorse
wheelchair1991
Rowley
AdamT
Steffan
Scottrf
B.A. BARACUS
17 posters

Go down

Khan thinks Brook fight could be worth £100 million Empty Khan thinks Brook fight could be worth £100 million

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 0:48

"The Kell Brook fight, at the moment, doesn't make sense," Khan told the Liverpool Echo yesterday.

""Boxing is a business and it's not about getting the fight done with two young guys. The fight is not worth the money at the minute. Why make it a £5-10m fight when we could make it for £100m. I'm a big name globally. Kell Brook could walk past people in America and they wouldn't recognise him. When it does happen, Kell and Eddie will be happy because I made the right choice at the right time."

""Look, he's (Brook) a world champion, but nowadays there's a lot of world champions - they get given belts without ever really proving themselves. He needs to go and fight some big names like Timothy Bradley, Marcus Maidana, or Keith Thurman."

In my opinion, Amir is wildly over estimating the public interest in seeing him mix it with Brook

Mayweather might have reaped the financial benefits by keeping the Pacquiao fight on ice for so many years but Khan/Brook is not Manny/May by any stretch of the imagination.

If Amir thinks he can take a leaf out of Floyd's book and build anticipation for the Brook fight by allowing the rivalry to simmer for the next few years he could be passing up the opportunity to strike while the iron is hot.

The window of opportunity for both fighters to cash in on this fight is closing fast.

Brook has a belt and in undefeated, Khan has established himself at Welter and is coming off a series of decent wins. If either man were to lose their next fight, the earning potential for Brook/Khan would decrease significantly.

Khan is either being foolish by stringing this fight out much longer out or he is blatantly ducking.

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Khan thinks Brook fight could be worth £100 million Empty Re: Khan thinks Brook fight could be worth £100 million

Post by Scottrf Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 0:49

I think he believes he's bigger than he really is.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Khan thinks Brook fight could be worth £100 million Empty Re: Khan thinks Brook fight could be worth £100 million

Post by Steffan Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 0:55

Khan would dispatch of Brook with ease IMO but I think he should try and get the fight asap before one of them picks up a loss and the fight is devalued

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 1:03

His comments are bordering on the delusional.

There is no way this fight could ever be worth anywhere near £100 mill, regardless of how long it is allowed to ferment.

It is a good domestic match up and could feasibly sell out a large stadium, with each man earning a career high pay day if it was to happen in the very near future.

Seems to me that Khan just doesn't fancy it and his latest comments are an attempt to deflect accusations that he is ducking

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 1:07

Khan does not beat Brook easy. No chance in hell.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 1:11

Tyson Fury and David Price waited until the fight was bigger, that plan did not go so great. Boxing is a tough sport, if you get an opportunity to make retirement type money in one night you should take it.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 1:14

It's a difficult fight to predict.

Khan could bamboozle Brook with his hand speed and take a wide UD or Brook could pressure Amir and take him out of his comfort zone.

Brook's ability is a under rated in my opinion and he is a natural welter.

50/50 pick em for me - however either could win comfortably and i wouldn't be at all surprised

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 1:14

Rowley wrote:Tyson Fury and David Price waited until the fight was bigger, that plan did not go so great. Boxing is a tough sport, if you get an opportunity to make retirement type money in one night you should take it.

Correct! Frampton and Quigg need to fight soon before one, or both of these guys takes a loss.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 1:21

I think if Khan makes a mistake, Brook will bury him.

Khan could win but he needs to be on top of his game and not let his heart rule his head.

If Khan follows instructions and stays on the outside he COULD make it a bit one sided. He would need to tie Brook up and spoil a bit. Try and keep him on the end of a jab and try and rack up points with his superior reach and hand speed.

For me Brook is definitely the puncher in this fight. He is also the tougher guy, so if they begin trading there is only one winner.

Brook is also undefeated and has never been on queer street, the way Mr Khan has, so that should fill him up with confidence.

There is a few ways this fight could go and I guess many would be split on who they side with. If I had to make a wager, I would put my money on Brook. Sometime in the fight Khan gets careless, then gets stopped. My guess would be rounds 6-8.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 1:27

Amir has never post olympicsbeen that populer here in the UK because he has the uncanny abilityto make himself sound delusional and think hes bigger then in reality he is.

He strikes again here

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 1:31

To be honest, having spent the last two years waiting for Floyd to make a call that has never come you would think Amir would walk over hot coals for a high profile title fight and decent pay day. Whoever is advising him is doing a truly appalling job.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 1:33

wheelchair1991 wrote:Amir has never post olympicsbeen that populer here in the UK because he has the uncanny abilityto make himself sound delusional and think hes bigger then in reality he is.

He strikes again here
Sold out the MEN no problem against McCloskey though. Can't be too unpopular.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 1:34

Scottrf wrote:
wheelchair1991 wrote:Amir has never post olympicsbeen that populer here in the UK because he has the uncanny abilityto make himself sound delusional and think hes bigger then in reality he is.

He strikes again here
Sold out the MEN no problem against McCloskey though. Can't be too unpopular.

True, though McCloskey brought a good few over. Plus Khan was a world champion then and many thought he was a genuine superstar since he was coached under Roach.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 1:39

McCloskey did bring a few (and loud) but it was just one end. Big majority were Khan fans.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 1:41

Naw I know mate. Khan is still a big name but he isn't really liked. I'm sure he has a fair few fans from the Uk. His problem is, he has just as many that dislike him.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 1:42

Yeah but you don't get negative ticket sales from people disliking you! No doubt he's lost some momentum in the last few years though.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 1:43

He is still the most well known fighter currently from these shores.

Can't dispute that at all. I do agree he has lost some momentum, though if he fought Brook it would be huge over here.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 1:45

I can't believe some people are saying that Khan is ducking Brook

It's as if Khan was not afraid of taking on people such as Maidana, Alexander and Garcia but is suddenly terrified of "Special K"

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 1:56

Rowley wrote:To be honest, having spent the last two years waiting for Floyd to make a call that has never come you would think Amir would walk over hot coals for a high profile title fight and decent pay day. Whoever is advising him is doing a truly appalling job.  

Couldn't agree more.

Has a chance to take part in a big domestic clash, in the same vain as Froch vs Groves AND pick up a recognised belt - yet he appears to think he can pull Brook's strings.

Khan's assertion that he is a global star and Brook has to prove himself worthy of sharing a ring with him, seems to be the standard response of fighters who are looking to avoid legitimate challengers

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 2:23

Steffan wrote:I can't believe some people are saying that Khan is ducking Brook

It's as if Khan was not afraid of taking on people such as Maidana, Alexander and Garcia but is suddenly terrified of "Special K"

There is something about a national rivalry that the top fighter sometimes finds a bit daunting. I don't think even Froch liked the idea of fighting Groves or Degale once he had established himself as the best in the UK. My theory is because there is not just the possibility of losing, it's also having to accept that you no longer the guy that carries the aspirations and hopes of the fans at world level. Khan will know that some of his fans that are currently so loyal will 'abandon' him and support Brook if Brook wins. Let's be honest, if Brook did win and did so convincingly, we will be thinking it's Brook that we should support and believe in against the best of the best. It's brook we will want to see in any future big fights. To Khan, it's Brook v Mayweather we will want to see and it'll be "Khan had no chance".

A loss hurts a hell of a lot more when a large portion of your fan base will dump you and start chanting your opponents name.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 2:24

Steffan wrote:I can't believe some people are saying that Khan is ducking Brook

The difference is that a loss to Brook now, would in my opinion, hammer the final nail in the career of Amir Khan.

He has done well to rebuild his career since the losses to Prescott, Garcia and Peterson, but there is only so many times a fighter can sack their trainer and re-invent themselves under a different coach.

Jorge Rubio was sacked after the Prescott loss and Roach was brought in to iron out his weaknesses.

After proclaiming the greatness of Roach, following a sequence of good wins, the Khan team then dispensed with Roach after the Peterson/Garcia losses and appointed Hunter.

Khan now states that Virgil Hunter has made him a far more accomplished fighter and that Roach was past it and holding him back.

What happens if Khan then loses to Brook or indeed any other fighter...sack Hunter and look elsewhere again?

I think the Khan team realise that Amir is one or maybe two losses away from being considered out of the top echelon of Welters as it currently stands.

As Khan admits himself, boxing is a business and his goal now appears to be maximum reward with minimum risk.

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 2:52

Although Amir did criticize Hunter after his last fight so another trainer might not be too far away

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 6:55

Virgil Hunter is the most overrated trainer ever. He's living off holding on to Andre Ward's coattails.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 7:27

Jermaine2015 wrote:Virgil Hunter is the most overrated trainer ever.
Not heard of Freddie Roach?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat 25 Jul 2015 - 8:26

Khan needs to lay off the glue. 100 million?? Delusional. I like watching Khan fight, but part of the appeal is that he's an accident waiting to happen, as a spectator it's the ultimate edge of the seat fight.

Through his glue enhanced haze, he did spark one stream of logic. brook v maidana, I like the sound of that fight. I feel though brook is hamstrung, most of the "names" of the division (even the rios, providnikovs, maidana's) are used to getting $1,000,000 dollar paydays, Eddie isn't going to open the purse that wide. I'm afraid Brook is not going to get anyone of relevence while fighting at home.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Tue 28 Jul 2015 - 0:07

Khan is capable of losing to anyone and Brook isn't really proven at the highest level (bar one fight).

If Khan keeps on ducking him then one of them will lose before they fight. If Brook loses I suspect Khan will never fight him, if Khan loses then Brook probably won't be prepared to give him the bigger split etc so I guess Khan's ego may not let it happen.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 28 Jul 2015 - 1:52

Desperate stuff from Khan.

No sane person would ever conject that his fight with Brook could ever be worth £100m.

They'd both have to dominate for the next six or seven years and beat Floyd and Manny between them or something like that. Not going to happen.

The three ducks in boxing which personally rankle me the most because they are so obvious- Khan with Brook, Garcia with Matthysse and Stevenson with Kovalev.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 28 Jul 2015 - 2:04

How much was Froch-Groves II 'worth'??

Can't see Khan-Brook ever topping that.

Only two ways of making serious money - massive UK stadium sell-out or huge US PPV buys.

Can't see those two ever achieving either (versus each other).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue 28 Jul 2015 - 2:12

Khans on cloud cuckoo land thinking it's worth that much. Really needs to get off the pot and fight a proper ranked contender now it looks like Floyd is out of the picture. Otherwise think we're going to get another Kov/Stevenson where both are making excuses not too fight. (Although think Khan has a lot to lose if he lost to Brook)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Tue 28 Jul 2015 - 2:50

I think Froch's purse for the 2nd Groves fight was £8m (Groves £2m).

If Eddie managed to build Brook v Khan up to that level, which is doubtful, then Khan could expect a purse of £6m or £6.5m.

I don't know but I doubt Khan would ever have earned more than £2m for any previous fight.

He's mad not to take it, it's a title, it's winnable and a career high purse.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Tue 28 Jul 2015 - 3:02

Guest82 wrote:He's mad not to take it, it's a title, it's winnable and a career high purse.

He's scared crapless about losing to Brook and having his career well and truly ended.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 28 Jul 2015 - 3:10

Khan will beat Brook with ease. He should take this fight and make a fortune. Needles to say Khan would get most of the purse anyway

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 28 Jul 2015 - 3:11

Doubt Hearn will give it him though.

Framp-Quigg all over again....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Tue 28 Jul 2015 - 3:13

Has Khan got Welsh in him or something?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 28 Jul 2015 - 3:54

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Has Khan got Welsh in him or something?
Only when he sleeps with me

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Tue 28 Jul 2015 - 4:03

Set him up for that one, Soldier.

To be fair, I think Khan wins the fight clearly and with something to spare. Maybe it is a Welsh thing. Emyr Khan!

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 28 Jul 2015 - 4:13

Dipper Brown wrote:Set him up for that one, Soldier.

To be fair, I think Khan wins the fight clearly and with something to spare. Maybe it is a Welsh thing. Emyr Khan!
Laugh

Nice one butt

Agree that Khan wins with a wide points margin if not a late TKO

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by B.A. BARACUS Tue 28 Jul 2015 - 5:03

Khan really has nobody to blame but himself for the situation he now finds himself in.

He has wasted months relentlessly pursuing the Mayweather fight, whilst taking on mediocre opposition in order to maintain a hollow winning streak.

I find it rather amusing Floyd has chosed Berto as his next opponent.

Perhaps if Khan had spent the last 18 months facing a better level of opposition, the clamour for the Mayweather fight would have been too loud for Floyd to ignore.

Khan is still only 28 and in his prime.

He has a golden opportunity to take part in a mouth watering domestic showdown, silence his critics by beating a top level Welter and earn a career high payday.

If he truly believed in his so called greatness, he would be all over this fight - brook clearly wants it....Khan obviously doesn't.

B.A. BARACUS

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Tue 28 Jul 2015 - 9:52

Although the sum of 100m is clearly way off I really can see why Khan wants to wait.

Take the Brook fight now and lose, I don't see where Khan goes unless it's a rematch with Brook. Whereas if he continues fighting in the US against good opponents I don't think a loss against another top ten welter would decrease the value of a fight with Brook, sell it as a redemption story, lost against the best, rebuilding, new trainer, wants to prove he's still the best in the UK.

The fight loses all value though if Brook loses, the interest would absolutely plummet until Brook spends another 5 years working himself back into title contention in a typically slow manner. Fortunately Brook won't lose any time soon if he's fighting Frankie Gavin level guys and Khan knows they won't fight anyone harder and put a fight with him at risk. All I can see happening at the moment is a continuation of whats happening now. Khan claims Brook isn't big enough in the US. Brook claims Khan is ducking him. They don't fight until Khan picks up another loss.

Best possible scenario is Brook goes back to the US and takes out a big name, Thurman and Bradley are both beatable, very risky fights but winnable. Just can't see him taking a fight like that now he has a belt.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 28 Jul 2015 - 20:04

A fight with Brook is likely to be the highlight of the rest of his career, now or later. I'm not sure his calibre of opposition will be much affected by a loss.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Wed 29 Jul 2015 - 2:46

bellchees wrote:Although the sum of 100m is clearly way off I really can see why Khan wants to wait.

Take the Brook fight now and lose, I don't see where Khan goes unless it's a rematch with Brook. Whereas if he continues fighting in the US against good opponents I don't think a loss against another top ten welter would decrease the value of a fight with Brook, sell it as a redemption story, lost against the best, rebuilding, new trainer, wants to prove he's still the best in the UK.

The fight loses all value though if Brook loses, the interest would absolutely plummet until Brook spends another 5 years working himself back into title contention in a typically slow manner. Fortunately Brook won't lose any time soon if he's fighting Frankie Gavin level guys and Khan knows they won't fight anyone harder and put a fight with him at risk. All I can see happening at the moment is a continuation of whats happening now. Khan claims Brook isn't big enough in the US. Brook claims Khan is ducking him. They don't fight until Khan picks up another loss.

Best possible scenario is Brook goes back to the US and takes out a big name, Thurman and Bradley are both beatable, very risky fights but winnable. Just can't see him taking a fight like that now he has a belt.

At the moment Khan is the bigger name and I think Brook would concede so too. At the moment Khan would probably demand 70% of the purse and end up getting 65%.

If he loses again then I think Brook will want 50% of the purse and Khans ego won't like that.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down