The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryan Jones retires

+5
MarcusHalberstram
Fanster
rodders
wayne
Don Alfonso
9 posters

Go down

Ryan Jones retires Empty Ryan Jones retires

Post by Don Alfonso Thu 20 Aug 2015, 11:55 am

http://sport.bt.com/rugby-union-hub/rugby-union/injury-forces-former-wales-captain-ryan-jones-to-quit-S11363998820484?

One of my favourite Welsh players. Massive respect for him - tough, smart player. Wish him the very best of luck.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Ryan Jones retires Empty Re: Ryan Jones retires

Post by wayne Thu 20 Aug 2015, 12:05 pm

Don Alfonso wrote:http://sport.bt.com/rugby-union-hub/rugby-union/injury-forces-former-wales-captain-ryan-jones-to-quit-S11363998820484?

One of my favourite Welsh players. Massive respect for him - tough, smart player. Wish him the very best of luck.

Thanks for that Don, an absolute Ospreys legend, I've had many conversations with Ryan, always willing to talk with supporters, a true gent willing to play anywhere for his club or country, very unlucky with injuries would have won more Welsh and Lion caps.
Will be sorely missed.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 20 Aug 2015, 12:24 pm

Great player, captain and ambassador for Welsh rugby.

I think he will be remembered best (by me) for his performances in the 2005 GS and Lions tour where he was one of the few players who stood up and came back with enhanced reputation.

Thereafter was hampered by injury and didn't quite reach his potential but always put in a decent shift when fit and called upon and had a really good career for Ospreys and Wales.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Thu 20 Aug 2015, 12:36 pm

Lovely guy, gent of the game, and rarely does a player have an impact like he did in 2005 for a grand slam and lions tour!!!

Bit of an odd time to retire immediately, late pre season, has he an ending injury, or is it a case of his body just saying enough is enough?

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Thu 20 Aug 2015, 1:06 pm

Always seems like a genuinely fantastic bloke. Sad he couldn't bow out on his own terms, but hope he stays in the game - I imagine he'll go into TV, he'd make a far better pundit than most (Ahem! Martin Williams!).

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 20 Aug 2015, 1:13 pm

Ah, I was just about to post an article on the great Ryan Jones. Former Wales captain and Bassaleg schoolboy who was instrumental in Wales' tournament wins. I'll always remember his great impact on rugby in 2005, just a shame he had to take a break through injury, which looks as if it is what's now forced him to retire years later. Very passionate and influential player, friendly and seemingly a bit timid off the pitch.

Thanks Ryan, what we'd give to have you fit and available to us right now.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Aug 2015, 6:57 pm

Top top man. I've known him since we were about 14 and I'm a bit gutted by this. As I'm about his size, he always gave me a bit of kit which got better once Wales moved to under armour Wink What I like about him is he never forgot his roots and has done a fair bit for Risca RFC as he started in our youth team. Apparently a few years back, Ospreys put their original club names on their shorts and he put Risca. Regardless of that, even though I have a lot of time for him, I hated it when he played against Dragons as he was such a nuisance in the contact area. Do think it is a bit of a shame that he had to bulk up at one point to move into or cover the second row too, as I think he was a bit wasted there.

Sure he'll do well out of tv now (though it's little consolation of course).

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 20 Aug 2015, 7:18 pm

Great player and servant for club and country and true gent always time to speak sign autographs etc, good luck to him in future endeavors.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Thu 20 Aug 2015, 7:41 pm

Top man, hated to see him line out against us, which is always a sign of an excellent player.

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu 20 Aug 2015, 9:36 pm

Top bloke. he seemed to lose his pace of 2005 so quickly…won't ever forget that 2005 try v Scotland that he created and finished though.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Aug 2015, 9:56 pm

Think it because they tried bulking him up Gwlad, as I said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down